PDA

View Full Version : OMG I'm too late!

KathyCrofoot
December 19th, 2014, 06:11 PM
I've been working on a quilt for my friend who had cancer for over a year. We became close when we worked together virtually several years ago. We lost touch for a little while, and then she found me on Facebook and we rekindled our friendship. I'd put the quilt on the back burner when she went into remission and was doing really well. I found out she was having a tough time 2 weeks ago, and pulled out the quilt to get it finished. Everything is done except the binding, and now she's gone. The cancer go the best of her this week, and she's finally at peace and without pain. I don't know her kids, or anyone in her family.

I regret that I didn't finish this quilt long ago and send it to her. Perfectionism got the best of me, and now I know the meaning of 'done is better than perfect'...

Simply Quilting
December 19th, 2014, 06:26 PM
{{{HUGS}}} So sorry for the loss of your friend. I too have a tendency to put things off and sometimes it ends up being too late.

Wwena
December 19th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Oh wow, that is sad... I'm so sorry about your friend. The quilt should be a keepsake, for you or for her family surely? Or donate it to charity in her name?

Carlie Wolf
December 19th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Such a sad time for her family. Please don't be so hard on yourself Kathy. You and your friend are in my prayers and thoughts.

shirleyknot
December 19th, 2014, 06:58 PM
So give it to her nearest and dearest to remember her by. Surely someone from her FB group can help with that.

Sandy Navas
December 19th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Oh, Kathy! Such a sad time, but don't allow yourself to feel at fault here!! I am certain she felt your love with every stitch you made, perfect or not.

HandsOffItsMine
December 19th, 2014, 07:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your friend Kathy and offer my condolences plus a big cyber hug. Sometimes our subconscious has us delay finishing a project to believe it will extend someones time. The mind will do strange things so don't be too hard on yourself.

I would finish the quilt and send it off with a note to her family, surely one of children will love to have a sentimental keepsake created for their mother.

Huggers, Ruby

Bubby
December 19th, 2014, 08:03 PM
That's very sad. We learn from things like this...we all procrastinate about certain things. Don't be too hard on yourself.

songbird857
December 19th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Kathy, so sorry for the loss of your friend. I agree with what others have said - finish the quilt and give it to her family; as in a comfort quilt :)

buckeyequilter
December 19th, 2014, 08:06 PM
So sorry to hear that.

That happened to me with my sister's quilt. I finished it and gave it to my niece. I could have kept it for myself but didn't want the reminder that I didn't get it finished in time to give to her.

irishrn
December 19th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs To you and your friends family.

MRoy
December 19th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Carrie J
December 19th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Kathy, I am so very sorry over the loss of your friend. My thought and prayers are with you and your friend' family. You had no idea things would progress so rapidly, and should not burden yourself with any guilt. I don't think she'd want you to feel that way. Finish the quilt, then contact her family, I'm quite sure they'd love to have it. Sending big hugs your way, again, so very sorry.

Miss Sheri
December 19th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Oh Kathy, how devastating that must feel. I'm so sorry for your sorrow, and the lose of this dear friend. May you find the peace and strength to finish the quilt and the discernment to know what to do with it. I am sure it is meant to be loved.

Amy R
December 19th, 2014, 10:17 PM
I'm so sorry

Terry L
December 19th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Sorry for your loss. I am sure she felt the warmth of your friendship and would want you to finish the quilt. I am sure you will find a good home for it.

CARRIE M
December 19th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Kathy so sorry for the loss of your dear friend.

MartinaG
December 20th, 2014, 12:41 AM
The important thing is that you rekindled your relationship. You could donate the quilt to a cancer organization to make sure that someone else in pain will benefit from your love.

DCM
December 20th, 2014, 12:51 AM
This very thing happened to me. My coworker's mother was in a nursing home doing well. I don't have a lot of time to work on my quilting. I started a lap quilt for her with her favorite colors. She took a very sudden turn and passed away before I could give it to her. I finished it and gave it to my coworker in her mom's memory. I would give it to your friend's family if you can locate them.

ilive2craft2
December 20th, 2014, 12:57 AM
Kathy, I am so sorry!

stationarymom
December 20th, 2014, 01:51 AM
Kathy I'm so sorry for your loss.

oldsewer
December 20th, 2014, 04:53 AM
My sympathies for your loss.

Andrea F
December 20th, 2014, 06:05 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Many great suggestions about what to do with the quilt. I just want to say, don't feel so bad about not finishing it earlier. We are all human and such sad things happen. It's great that you rekindled your friendship and I am sure that she knew you loved her. That's what counts.

Monique
December 20th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Sorry for the loss of your friend. I agree with what others have said, finish it and give it to the family.

auntiemern
December 20th, 2014, 12:53 PM
So very sorry. You really are having a rough December. Saying prayers for her family, and for peace of mind for you.