PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning! Will Wednesday be wacky?

Blondie
August 24th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Good Morning Ladies!

I almost forgot which day of the week it was! Not hard to do when you are me. After all the earth shaking around us yesterday, hubs and I decided to stay the night with Mom. The tremors really upset her more than I thought it would. She has strong faith, has withstood so much with her health, but for some reason, she just was terrified. So, we stayed. Sis, who came over to my house, not finding us there but came down to Mom's. She stayed as well. It was jammy party time on a Tuesday night. We watched an oldie goldie movie that always reduces us to giggling girls, laughing so hard we had to run into the bathroom to keep from peeing our pants. Even Luscious caught our silliness. He made us popcorn and giggled with us. Getting up early was no easy task for my man - I braided his hair (willie nelson hair) kissed him good bye and went back to sleep. Have only been up a few minutes, ran back up the hill to the house and here I am, sharing my first cuppa joe with you. Oh, in case you are wondering, the movie we watched was Private Eyes with Don Knotts and Tim Conway.

I suppose that when life gets "shaky" in more ways than one, it is good to sit down and count your many blessings, assess them and realize that family will always be there. I think that was just what Mom needed to know again last night.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Txgrandma
August 24th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Good morning everyone. Blondie it's good that you are close enough to your mom to be able to spend the night with her. I can imagine how that quake would be enough to unnerve anyone. I have never been in one but have heard horror stories from hubbies cousin that lived in LA. She told us a story once of her hubby sitting on the pot one morning when a pretty good one hit and literally landed him in the floor. What a way to wake up huh!! The family laughed about that one for quite sometime.
Had a busy day Monday and Tuesday, our sons best friend since 6th grade came home on R&R from Iraq. He's just like one of our own, even calls us mom and dad. He was in and out both days back and forth between here and Ft Hood. Saturday is the big day, son, DIL and all the other kids will be here for a big rib dinner. They also have another friend who is in the navy stationed in Washington who will be here with his wife and new baby boy. There are 6 boys all together and their wives or girlfriends and possibly a few more that might pop in to see everyone. No idea how many will be here but will start cooking tomorrow. Gatherings like this always end up with everyone gathered around the dining table playing games until the wee hours. I usually have to fix enough food to feed the whole bunch all night long, but it couldn't be more fun and, there is nothing I like better than having all the kids together. Dillon's unit has lost 3 on this deployment, so we are all trying to keep him busy and when he wants to talk just sit and listen to him. One of them that died was a good friend of his so it has hit him pretty hard. Thank goodness he is seeing a counselor also while he's here. He does seem to be handling it all pretty well but, it's still so heartbreaking seeing them go through it.
I nearly have all the pinwheel blocks sewn up, then I'll have to square them up, start doing the sashing in between them to get it finished and it's off to the LAQ. DIL and I will layout her D9P on Saturday afternoon so I can get it sewn together, hopefully it can go to the LAQ along with the pinwheel. Then the big decision on what to do next. Have been looking at magazines and a few books I've picked up and there are so many I want to do. I need to quit looking, it seems like the more I see the harder it is to make a decision. I'm sure I'm not the only one with that problem, I hope. LOL Prayers for Rhonda and her friends and all the rest in need. Have a great Wednesday everyone.

sally
August 24th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Good morning...Blondie it was nice to hear about your night with mom. My mom lives 6 hours away so it is hard to be there for her. However she is here right now visiting so we too watched a classic last night..."The Singing Nun" with Debbie Reynolds and Ricado Montabelli. Mom goes for her "cognitive driving test" today. SHe has been studing a driving manual for two days straight even though the test won't be on it BUT she is very stubborn. Truth is she really should let it go. She has not diriven sinch June and is getting by okay. She is 90 for gosh sakes and personally I don't want her driving. She was never a great driver in her prime and she hasn't improved with time. Oh well...we will just see how the day unfolds.
Mary sounds like you are going to be busy...but what fun!
HAve a happy safe day everyone!

Bubby
August 24th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Shauna, I understand about your Mom and her driving. My Grandma lived with me her last few years and she was stubbornly independent. She still had her own car and driver's license (age 90). After a not-so-minor accident that was her fault, we parked her car in the far end of the garage and I began taking her everywhere she needed to go. I think secretely she was relieved. When it came time to get rid of her car I told her that even if she didn't have her own car she could keep her driver's license and borrow one of our vehicles if she ever needed to drive. Thankfully she never needed to borrow a car and she lived out the rest of her days as a licensed driver!! I was blessed to have my Grandma Nan until I was a grandmother myself.....Barb

SuzyQue
August 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Good morning, ladies! Today will start our school year, so just a brief note now. Will be checking in more often throughout the days, but for shorter times each. Gosh, I already miss you all so much from all my crazy busyness...........must make the best of it.

Blondie---what a lovely evening you must have had last night with your family. So nice that you live that close to your mom. She must treasure both you and your sister. Glad the quake didn't harm you and yours.

Mary--sounds like a busy few days ahead. I know how much guys can eat! Treasure these moments in your heart......... What a wonderful home you must have for them all to want to gather there together!

Shauna---hope your mom does her best on the test, but that they are very strict and careful with her. I hear your heart on this. My mom, not near 90 yet, should probably give up her license, too. She doesn't live close enough for me to help daily and still needs to run some errands in town. It is hard, but we want to keep them safe, too. I think this is the toughest time......mom of teen and daughter of elderly mom. Hopefully, your situation will have a happy solution for all.

Off to start the Renaissance....again, trig, grammar, chemistry.................oh, high school days are full! Have a great day all and please, sew and quilt a little for me!!!

oldgurl4
August 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Morning Everyone.....
Brought my Laptop to work... Just to stay in touch... and keep trak of the a World going Round.

I LUV!! Don Knotts! My FAV is " The Incredible Mr Limpet"....
I wish they make a Re-Make of the Movie....I'd say ALAN(John Cryer) from "Two and a Half Men" would be Perfect for the part.

Awww Tim Conway.... He's HILARIOUS!!

I'm So Happy for you Blondie that you get to have Warm Family moments like this.... I sure miss my
Dear MOMMY.

Have a Good Safe Wednesday

TTYL

Lisaau
August 24th, 2011, 11:45 AM
The ghost and mister chicken

Granny Judy
August 24th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Still in my pj's here.. what a slow start I've made today. It's mid week and both kiddos are off to work so I don't have any chores that need my attention right away. 2 pups are outside and the the 3 cats are napping. So I'll go back to working on this "spur-of-the-moment" project. Frustration set in with the pinwheels and I opted to try something new.. easy mindless sewing..

The fabric was on sale at Wally World for 7$ a jelly roll.. 8 different fabrics.

Got supper planned so it's just a do whatever day for this ol' lady. Sending hugs to all you daughters and Moms for today... savor the moments and charish the memories.

"Just Saying"...........

Sandy Navas
August 24th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I just checked the clock and I've been on the computer 2 and one half hours this morning. I am ashamed to say I am spending too much time here reading and answering e-mails. I could have finished one of Michael's quilt tops by now.

So, after another message I feel compelled to create, I'm off for the day to tackle some closets that need cleaning (so I can see if I have fabric stashed there, too.)

Cheers, hugs, prayers, lots and lots of love being sent.

Txgrandma
August 24th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I always like Don Knotts in the Andy Griffith show, he was always so goofy. I'm with Oldgurl my favorite movie is The Incredible Mr. Limpet.
Blondie I have been watching the news this morning and seeing where Irene is headed you direction, I may not be able to get on here much for the next couple days. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you. Please, please be careful and try to let us all know your ok. If all you get is rain I'm going to be oh so jealous. We still have not had a drop and people here were wishing and hoping it would mean rain for us. Everyone else in the path be careful and you are getting prayers too. It's sounding like it could be a really nasty storm.

Telliott68
August 24th, 2011, 12:43 PM
My boss and I ran into the local tv weatherman yesterday at lunch and my boss asked if he slipped him a twenty would he put rain in the forecast. The weatherman said he would do it for less at this point. :)

Loonwatcher
August 24th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Hi All,

Just got back from hospital. DH finally had his appendix removed. It's outpatient surgery these days. He had a little extra bleeding but all was controlled and he's back home. We had to be at the hospital for 6:15 am so we're both ready for a nap. I should go in to work for a bit but .....NAH! I'm gonna stay home and baby my baby!

Hope everyone is having a good day. I'll try to get back later and read all the posts.

janluna
August 24th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Nancy that's a good place to be. As my husband says, "Just because they use small incisions doesn't mean they didn't stir up the demons when they were roaming around inside." They did my gall bladder and my appendix at the same time through 3 small incisions. I hurt for a week!
Love and prayers to all and a thank you to all our vets and their family's. That includes you Sandy and also Trish.
I'm off to fold clothes and put in the next load. Hugs, Jan L.

bakermom
August 24th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Wow what a busy group! I feel like such a slacker!. I'm waiting around for a pkg that needs to be signed for. I did try out the toy DH suprised me with. He found a lightweight Brother on clearance and bought it for me. He saw how frustrated i was during my foot incident and decided i needed something downstairs to play with. i did finish the romper fro GS. i'm pleased with it.

Blondie and Shauna, I understand your mom issues. My mom(88) still lives alone with some assistance. fortunately she gave up her drivers license a long time ago. We went up Tuesday to fix her supper and asked her about the quake" oh, was that what that was?". now we were not as close as you were to it, Blondie, we still felt it. However the mere mention of a possible thunderstorm put her in a tizzy!

Txgrandma
August 24th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Love the little romper bakermom, it is really adorable.

Blondie
August 24th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Ladies
Here it is evening and I am back here sitting in front of all my friends. We are certainly a bunch of busy gals!

Nancy, take extra special care of hubs. When I had my gall bladder out last year I hurt for a good week and then some. No fun even if it is considered outpatient these days. I was thankful that my sis and daughter were my babysitters. You're a good woman!

Telliott, I would pay a weatherman some money for rain too. That Irene may hit the coast but we are waaaayyyyy across the state at the foothills of the Blue Ridge. We are hoping for some rain from it.

Sandy, I know this is the wrong thread but thanks for the shout out of thanks to our vets and current heros/heroines. This country is a better place because of these fine folks who are VOLUNTEER military. That means a lot to me. My Daddy, who was a WWII vet, really thought the draft should have never been changed. He felt it made a man out of boys. But, he admired and respected the volunteer army we have because he knew what it cost each person to represent the stars and stripes.

LissaAu and Oldgurl - we are wild for don knotts and tim conway - we also love The Apple Dumpling Gang. If y'all haven't seen The Private Eyes, go rent it or watch from Netflix. It is a classic and really a two diaper movie for "we'uns." Take a break to eat your popcorn or you could choke on it. I had almost forgotten Mr Limpett and the ghost and Mr Chicken are so funny as well. I knew I was in good company!

Granny Judy, that looks like a jelly roll looks like one I purchased at Joann'es. Nice blend of colors!

Mary, I got tired all over again, reading all you had to do.

Have a great evening gals. I am putting the binding on my pineapple blossom tonite. YAY !

Monique
August 24th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Well it looks like I missed this thread this morning. I was so busy doing nothing, the day just flew by. I did make the peach cobbler muffins that are in the food section of this forum. They are so good. Aside from that, I did re-pot some plants as well. Been checking out the squares for the floral swap. It is going to be hard to decide what to pick.

Have a nice evening and a safe one all.

quiltingtrish
August 24th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Hi all - back from my 2 day visit with my girlfriend across the state. I drove very slowly through the mountains because first there was a momma and 2 baby deer, then another set that was just standing on the road - oh, so pretty I think. I tooted my horn and she just stood there and looked at me. So I came to a stop and yelled that the road was mine to drive on - she slowly moved on. Fortunately, there were no other cars around me so I could take my time. That was at 6 - 2 hours before dark. Glad I didn't come through after dark! Also passed lots of Amish/Mennonite buggies getting home from their days in the fields. Everyone is harvesting the hay fields before the rains comes again.
The earthquake. I was driving on the PA turnpike and the car went a little to the left and right and then heard there was a quake. But I don't know if it was from that or the road construction they say was on the road but no sign of that happening. Dh said that he was sitting in a chair at a car inspection place to work on the owners computer files and it felt like someone was moving the back of his chair back and forth. When he turned around to tell one of the fellas to cut it out, there was noone there. Haven't spoken to my Dad yet so don't know if he felt anything or not. I'm so glad you were able to go spend the night with your mom and sister, Blondie. Just knowing you were right there with her - I'm sure made her feel taken care of.
Well - am tired from all the driving so think I'll be going to bed early tonight. That turnpike is long, curvy, and very hilly - but still boring. It was a beautiful day and I did enjoy the blue, blue sky and gorgeous green, luscious, full mountains the whole way there and back. It was a shame there weren't any pull-off areas where I could have taken some photos everytime I had a beautiful view.

I'll see ya all tomorrow!
Hugs,

janluna
August 24th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Trish, I am so happy that you have had the chance to get away this summer with your friends. I think everyone needs to get away for a while. Even if it's just for a day it helps.
Well people I'm going to bed. I've been so wired up between Emily and steroids, not sleeping etc. I'm gonna shut it down and get quiet, have my talk with the Lord, and try to sleep.
Love, Hugs, and prayers to all, Jan L.