PDA

View Full Version : Holly Jolly Night Owl

toggpine
December 19th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Tomorrow is the LAST day of school before Christmas break. I hope we make it!

I tried to decorate a few of the cookies today. The royal icing was too stiff for me to squeeze out of the piping bag. I made the same recipe I have used for always. I just couldn't get enough pressure to pipe it. I'll have to thin it a bit more and try again. I guess the arthritis has done more than I thought.
I can always revert to buttercream, but that doesn't hold up as well to travel. Although it certainly tastes better!

I have sewn all of Dad's blocks together, some of them twice. Apparently it only takes me 4 or 5 blocks to realize I'm out of bobbin thread. Doh! :icon_doh:

I think that once they are pressed I'm off to the Land of Nod.

I wish that lazy Elf on the Shelf would get off his stuffed butt and wrap a few presents, or vacuum, or something!

I so want to ditch all of these Christmas party things we have coming up this weekend. Is that bad of me to say? Even if I didn't have things to finish, I'd rather stay home than make small talk to a bunch of people I barely know (Hubby's co-workers & friends) and some I can barely tolerate (family by marriage). Anybody else in that boat?

MayinJerset
December 19th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Yeah, It's 3:30 and where is that Elf? He should be here wrapping gifts and vacuuming for me too. At least you have some cookies to decorate I haven't even begun mine. No rolling of cookie dough for me, had to give that up years ago. Will make peanut butter blossoms with mini kisses, ginger cookies (never thought this would become a family favorite), snickerdoodles for DGD Christine who will be in from New Orleans and rainbow cookies. One batch of each and a double batch of biscotti half goes to DS#2 and wife. They each get a box of them so they don't fight.

No worry about Pre Christmas parties with work people as we're both retired many years and that ended years ago. Although last week DH met with is old work buddies for their annual Christmas Breakfast at Perkins. The guys are in their 70's and 80's so it was Good News that they all could make it. We have lots of after Christmas parting with DGD C's wedding which takes place at a Bed and Breakfast Inn in PA so we'll all be there overnight. Our room is the biggest with a small kitchen equipped with a table and chairs so you know where everyone will wind up.

Put the blocks in rows yesterday and was missing one, just when I was about to cut fabric and make another one I spied something in the back corner under my cutting table - the missing block! Hope to get borders on tomorrow and get it packed up and off the quilter before Christmas.

kimsophia
December 19th, 2014, 06:56 AM
I guess the Roomba is my Elf because it vacuumed downstairs for me :) I got the Russian tea cake dough mixed up and in the fridge for DH to bake and drown in layers of powdered sugar. Just having too much fun watching tv tonight to do any quilting, which requires my eyeballs off the screen and the basketball games. Or Colbert! :D

whippetmom
December 19th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Wow, you guys are so busy, I cannot believe it. Hopefully your stress ends soon. I am just working on quilting my bargello quilt but no real hurry since it is staying here. First one ever, do not want to give it away, learned all the mistakes and tricks for the next one. My son is coming Christmas Eve and have packages already wrapped for him. All I have left is making sure his bedroom is clean and bathroom is cleaned. Since we are retired, no parties to go to, glad that is over. All your baking sounds wonderful, I remember years ago I used to bake until Christmas Eve, and really enjoyed it. I do not think I could do that anymore, although it would be nice to eat it all again !!!! You should not feel bad about not wanting to go to the boring parties, did that all over for me but I understand where you are coming from. I hope all of you get some sleep and enjoy the holidays while they are still here.
Oops, I do need to clean up my mess from quilting, that should take my three days, I really made a mess. Happy Holidays everyone.

kimsophia
December 20th, 2014, 02:22 AM
Portland wins in triple overtime!!! :icon_happy: