PDA

View Full Version : Rockin' Around the Night-Owl Tree

kimsophia
December 18th, 2014, 12:32 AM
:icon_cool: Wheee! Just got back from free pie Wednesday at Village Inn...I haven't eaten French Silk pie in over 12 years or more. Yum. It took me back to the first time I tasted it in college. I couldn't believe how good it was! :icon_happy:

The top and bottom borders are quilted so just the sides to do. I wanted to entirely hand make this quilt. I did do all the applique blocks by hand but I needed help to put in the sashing and borders so I had a seamstress do that part. She even finished the outsides (without binding). So I am quilting on a done deal. Luckily I'm just doing some light vine cables and hearts.

stationarymom
December 18th, 2014, 02:48 AM
You'll have to post pics of your quilt.The first quilt I made was all hand pieced and quilted.Did you like making your quilt that way? I found using the needle in my hand soothing at night.

MayinJerset
December 18th, 2014, 02:59 AM
I've been a'rocking around the night owl tree so much that I'm dizzy and tired and need to get up on my branch and take a snooze. So please keep the rocking music down while I rest my big owl eyes for awhile.

Kimsophia if there is any of that French silk pie left I could got for a piece when I wake up. Just saying....

toggpine
December 18th, 2014, 03:01 AM
Congrats on the near finish!

I am finally done with the cookie dough in the fridge. I need to portion out some of them to head to Mom's.

Now I'm heading in to the sewing room to see if I can finish at least the blocks on Dad's quilt tonight. They are 16" & I should have 2 seams each left to get them to that point. It is only 20 blocks, so that should be do-able. I ought to really stay up late and see if I can get the rows together. I'm just not finding the energy the last few nights to hang in until 2AM-ish.

I'm starting to resent the holiday party schedule we have coming up. I really need to spend the time sewing. Ugh.

It's just 22:00 (10PM) here & I'm hoping to hold out until midnight. Go Me!

kimsophia
December 18th, 2014, 03:03 AM
You'll have to post pics of your quilt.The first quilt I made was all hand pieced and quilted.Did you like making your quilt that way? I found using the needle in my hand soothing at night.

I do feel a pleasure from hand sewing that I don't from machine sewing. With machine sewing, I'm glad when it's done. Hand sewing, I'm glad when I'm doing it! Despite the pleasure, I started this quilt in 1987. It was in the Fall 1986 Needlecraft Ideas magazine. I could do the applique schoolhouse blocks. And I hired a lady to piece the top. The next step was "baste and quilt as desired". lol I never did learn the quilting stitch. There weren't YouTube videos back then so I just stabbed to the back and stabbed back up to the front. I invented some kind of decorative stitch in a contrasting color that was a hybrid of quilting and a running stitch.

I can take pictures but I don't know how to upload them so I'll give DH that job. :icon_razz:

kimsophia
December 18th, 2014, 03:05 AM
I've been a'rocking around the night owl tree so much that I'm dizzy and tired and need to get up on my branch and take a snooze. So please keep the rocking music down while I rest my big owl eyes for awhile.

Kimsophia if there is any of that French silk pie left I could got for a piece when I wake up. Just saying....

The Village Inn free pie countdown timer! Village Inn: Pie Rush Wednesday (http://www.villageinn.com/pierushwednesday/) :D

Juliet Taylor
December 18th, 2014, 03:20 AM
Just woke up from the most scary and devastating nightmare I've had this year... I really wish I wouldn't dream things so wrong :(
(For me right now it's 7:19 AM) guess a shower and some breakfast will help going on with the working day!

toggpine
December 18th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Juliet, I so dislike waking from dreams like that to start my day!

I was off on my seam estimate. I hadn't quite finished the square-in-a-square-in-a-square cornerstones. They still needed two sides added. Now I can add them to the sashing strips and then construct the blocks. Sheesh! Three days out of the sewing room surely messes up the schedule!

I'll get those done and then it's bed, or I'll be about as useful as teats on a bull tomorrow!

MayinJerset
December 18th, 2014, 06:27 AM
4:30 am here in Jersey and no French silk pie because we don't have any Village Inns in Jersey so I had to make do with some plain old cookies.

Got 3 Christmas gifts mailed this afternoon and soon will wrap for under our tree,

Scary Juliet waking up from a nightmare, my wake ups are usually about something that I read or watched on tv the night before. Every once in awhile I wake up with a jolt because something scared me but I never remember what it was. Whoo, it's scary when things go bump in the night. That's why I like sitting in our Night Owl tree as nothing scares us there because we're the ones who scare others when we let out one of our whoots.

kimsophia
December 18th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Hooty hoo! Hooty hoo! :) Am simmering a chicken carcass for future soup. Am listening to Sirius "Traditional" Christmas. "The Island of Misfit Toys" is traditional, apparently!

toggpine
December 18th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I guess if Rudolph is 50 years old, that song is now considered a tradition!

kimsophia
December 18th, 2014, 09:57 PM
I guess if Rudolph is 50 years old, that song is now considered a tradition!

lol...I remember that show coming out when I was a kid. There was a matching commercial where Santa rode an electric razor. It was so cool! And I was scared to death of that Abominable Snowman! :o