PDA

View Full Version : I did it!! Now what ???

Quiltfreestyle
December 16th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Ok,, so yesterday, after many months of discussion & prayer, I went into the office & told them that I am retiring early. I'll be 63 in a couple of months but DH health is sketchy & he wants me home... Plus I've come to hate the stress at my job, even tho I love the people I work with....
I'll still be working for probably another month, I told them I'd do what I can to make the transition smooth & they will have to hire & train a new person.
So wish me luck on this new adventure.. If you have any tips on adjusting to retirement, I'm all ears!!
Thanks all

Gina
December 16th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Congrats! I hope the transition is a smooth one! I don't have any tips, I still have another 20 years of working before I get there!

Carrie J
December 16th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Patt, first off, Congratulations, you won't regret it! Secondly, so sorry to hear about you DH health issues, I'm right there with you. It will be an adventure, at first you'll feel at loose ends, but that quickly passes. You'll find more time to relish simple things like friends, hobbies, the joy of NOT getting up at the crack of dawn, staying up late to watch a movie you've watched a gazillion times, lol. The first thing I did was making sure I got more involved in groups I'd participated in sporadically. That relates to my personal loves, sewing and music, or anything pertaining to them. There is a quiet subculture to retirement, one you'll quickly find and new opportunities will present themselves to fill your time if you so choose. Be it thru friends, church, business organizations you've been involved in, etc. Learning to relax is an art form, one that perhaps you'll have no issues with, I had to learn to do that as I was very goal oriented and not in a good way. If I didn't have a "work" of any kind project, I was climbing the walls. I've since learned, a slower pace is not such a bad thing and life is much sweeter as a result. I truly hope your retirement yields you many moments of joy, peace and fulfillment. :D

tobeysmama
December 16th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Congrats on your coming retirement. I hope you and your husband enjoy your time and find many wonderful things to do.

BobW
December 16th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Pat,

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy your transition. I retired two years ago this January 9th. I wonder sometimes how I got anything done when I worked, I don't seem to have time to get things done like I did. Just be flexible and enjoy your time. If there is somewhere to go or something to do, do it, even if it means leaving that load of laundry until later.

MRoy
December 16th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Congratulations on your retirement! I've been retired just over a year and I agree with everything CarrieJ and Bob said. It's an adjustment for sure, but one you can come to enjoy.

Sandy Navas
December 16th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Before you walk out the office door for the last time, make sure you have found a new clock - you will need the one that has 36 hours in a day. Voice of experience.

oldsewer
December 16th, 2014, 03:07 PM
The absolute best thing about being retired when I got there was not having to set the alarm anymore. I t was amazing how much that small thing meant to me. Best wishes.

buckeyequilter
December 16th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Love the clock Sandy LOL

Ahamblin
December 16th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Congratulations on your retirement! I retired 2 years ago under similar circumstances and it was the best decision. I agree with what everyone has said. I was tied to my work Blackberry 24/7 for years so it took a little while to not keep checking it. My DH would tell me "you don't have it anymore, quit looking for it". LOL It was wonderful the first bad snow storm we had and I didn't have to drive in it to work at 4 am. It's the little things. I did find that at first I kept in contact with work friends but little by little I have only stayed current with two. I catch up with the others on Facebook occasionally but the common connection is gone now. For me this is when I returned to sewing and discovered quilting and saw old friends more often and made new sewing friends.

Enjoy your free time, learn to relax and you may find like me that now I don't know how I had time to work.

Simply Quilting
December 16th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I would suggest writing down a list of things that your dh and you want to do and prioritize which ones you want to do before he is no longer able to. My grandparents, who were farmers, dreamed of going all of the United States and did get to go many places before Grandpa's health made it where they could not.

Believe it or not, retirement seems to make people busier than when they were working.

Sandy, great clock. My BFF had a Goofy watch like that in high school.

ceiliam
December 16th, 2014, 04:16 PM
congrats I retired 2 years go ... nota choice but health reasons. I miss people however job not so much. I love no alarm however need to keep my self motivated to accomplish things. I moved to warmer climate and do not miss the huge snowstorms. Even got a dog, something I wanted however unable to have one before. The joy of doing things at your pace and what you want to do is great

Quiltfreestyle
December 17th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Thanks to all of you for the good advice. It's nice to have my decision validated,,, had a few second thoughts today, like income dropping drastically... Then a manager came into my office & suggested I work part time, & did I really, really want to leave??
I have a meeting with the director of HR tomorrow. Looking forward to what she has to say about hiring a replacement..
Just taking one day at a time, but it is amazing how much the stress has gone down, just knowing the end is in sight.

JCY
December 17th, 2014, 01:52 AM
Did you review your financial situation, so you'll know exactly how much $ you'll have to live on? Are you taking early Soc. Sec.? I retired 5 yrs. ago & have not once regretted it. I was 67 & already drawing SS starting at age 65. I've heard many retired people say, "I'm so busy, I don't know how I had time to work!" One of the first things I did was take a quilting class & get to sewing. Also, DH with all his health problems, needed me at home, so things became better for him. He started eating better & gained weight--which he needed to do! Unfortunately, we have not been able to travel together & do things I would have liked to do in my retirement years. If I want to go visit one of the kids, I have to make arrangements for someone to stay with him. He hasn't driven the car for 6 yrs., so is very dependent on me or others. The caregiving takes a lot of time. Just make sure you take some time for yourself, exercise, pool, etc. but also make sure you spend quality time with DH, because we just never know how long we'll have them around. I think you'll find the transition to retirement won't take long at all.

kimsophia
December 17th, 2014, 02:03 AM
Congratulations! My husband retired early (at 52) and loved it but after the 2008 financial collapse, when the interest rates went down to almost zero, he did go back to working 15 hours a week because the income he planned to have from interest disappeared. But he's happy with working four mornings a week, too. He's much more relaxed. His boss was INSANE.

snippet
December 17th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Congratulations on the big decision!

It's been nearly 3 years since I retired. I did it for my health and I'm glad I did.

I decided not to do anything for a while, because I wanted to really get a feel for not working or doing anything. You might not be able to stand that, but I wanted to listen and rest. Get to know your husband again, see what his routine is like. Take this time to plan out what y'all are going to do.

Then I added things that I've always wanted to do. When I was raising my kids and working, I couldn't volunteer at church or school much. Now I can give back and let the moms do their thing. If you are part of clubs or societies, you can increase your activity with them, or join new groups.

I like to travel, but money is a concern, but I go when I have the money. It's awesome to leave without having to get approval from the boss!

Don't over do it. You don't want to bundle yourself up with so much that it feels like you are working for others again. But do try and do something every other day. It makes you get dressed and outside. :) (believe me, a housecoat and slippers are REAL comfy)

What I really enjoy is the ability to make doctor appointments ANYTIME. And grocery shopping during working hours! Whoa! no lines, no crowds, and the employees are nicer! That's awesome.

When I grew up and realized time was passing, I decided that vacations with my mom and my kids were important. So we took a few trips across the country - to visit some of Mom's old friends, experience a real winter, etc. Now my mom isn't with us, but the kids and I have some great memories of our times. Please do that with your husband if y'all can.

MayinJerset
December 17th, 2014, 08:14 AM
-Go Girl, More Power to you in your retirement. Lots of good advice and viewpoints from forum members to consider. I retired about 18 years ago at 61 - worked at a college and got my degree before I left. The profs I worked with were great but things were changing, profs were getting buyouts and staff jobs like mine were beginning to be outsourced so as someone with less than 10 years at the job I saw the writing on the wall. I've worked since I was 16 and except for about 10 years when our sons were small I've worked and I was tired. Also DH had been retired a few years. Most schedules went out the window and new more relaxed ones developed and we did travel a lot more. Glad we did because now traveling is difficult as we both can't walk too much or far. Took a week long quilting class at an Elderhostel and I was hooked. DH has kept busy at college taking a course or two each semester, mostly photography. After the first week of classes seniors can sign up for classes of their choice if there is room available and the cost is very low.

Problems: He retired before me and wanted to do grocery shopping, saved us so much money by buying store brands but never finished the boxes of their cereals because they didn't taste good. I made lots of bread crumbs with them. Also he developed routines especially about making coffee and breakfast for himself every morning and sharing our small kitchen wasn't fun. You know a one behind kitchen with 2 people in it cooking doesn't work out at all. Minor things that were ironed out after a bit. Wished he had become so particular about vacuuming and/or doing laundry for me. Anyway, it's been many years and they have been good and Thank God our health hasn't been really bad. So you get out there and enjoy your retirement.

Monique
December 17th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Congratulations and enjoy.

irishrn
December 17th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Congratulations!! It is a decision you won't regret once you get to those last days at work!
I will be retired 1year this month (27th) and this is what I learned!
DH has forgotten how to do anything now that I'm home!!! He has had some health issues but that is why I left at 64!
Finances were an adjustment but this year hasn't been too bad. Less driving. Less money on gas, clothes etc!
Cannot believe how much more toilet paper I have to buy now that I'm not away from home 10 hrs a day!!!
Alarm clock is a thing of the past for the most part! I don't make early appointments anymore!
I have close friends at my old job so I make sure that we get to see each other from time to time!
DH is eating better but I don't feel the extra time in the kitchen is any fun. So once a month I cook up big meals and freeze portions for us that can be easily made into meals that last at least 2 days. Then I just defrost and prep a few times a week.
I hope you find your retirement enjoyable! Make sure you do things you like or want to do! Make it fun!!
And best wishes for a wonderful 2015!!!

CarolynK
December 17th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Good for you and Congratulations! I'm not retired and won't be for several years yet, but it will be an adjustment. You'll find so much less stress and you'll get to do those things that you didn't have time for while working.

Quiltfreestyle
December 17th, 2014, 11:32 AM
So much good advice here!!! This is better than a Life Coach or a shrink, all any of us need to do is come to the Forum for advice. LOL
So I plan to take it easy for the first few months, maybe give the house a real deep cleaning. DH could never manage that so it's been awhile. Wow, maybe we will finally clean out the garage, something we've talked about for years. LOL

DH & I already volunteer some at church. We help run the food bank & serve at Mass. I plan on probably volunteering more, but I'll wait until I get the hang of this new life style.
Thank you all sooo much!!

Over40momma
December 17th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Congratulations and I think the plan you have outlined for yourself is a very good one!!! Enjoy. :icon_woohoo: