PDA

View Full Version : Big Tremor!

Blondie
August 23rd, 2011, 03:25 PM

Well, just sitting down because I almost fell down about 20 minutes ago. We had some big tremors go through the county. The whole house was shaking like a washing machine on steroids. Lots of noise and literally shaking the house. After about 30 seconds it stopped. Scared us pretty bad. I knew immediately it was a tremor. Called Mom and she was okay, just petrified.
Looked it up on the 'net and there was a 5.38 quake in Virginia between Charlottesville, Va and Richmond. that's a pretty good piece from me, so it was kind of startling that the tremor was enough to shake my house that strongly.
Rebecca, thought of your Sis and Mom. I know they had to have felt the shaking A LOT.

Off to bring down to Mom's to calm her down a bit. She is quite literally shaken to her core.

Anyone else in the region of Central Virginia/ Piedmont Triad feel this thing?

Loonwatcher
August 23rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
Blondie, we felt it here in Vermont too. Now that's a long way. We practically never feel tremors. I guess there was a 5.something in Colorado earlier too (yesterday, last night, early today???).

K. McEuen
August 23rd, 2011, 04:08 PM
The one in Colorado was last night and felt in northern New Mexico but didn't feel anything down in Albuquerque.

quilter.martha
August 23rd, 2011, 04:15 PM
I heard about it on the news just now. Kinda scary, aren't they? I did not feel it up here in NH, but then I probably wouldn't pay a whole lot of attention to the ground shaking. All it takes is a dump truck going fast down our road and the house shakes. Glad there has been no reported damage (except for nerves).

janluna
August 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
We felt it in NY!! I checked with Laura and she is ok, but no phone service. My DIL is in Richmond VA. She felt it really good!!! She is ok. They took 2 reactors off line just in case. So people will be without power.

debinmalaga
August 23rd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Blondie, we had it pretty strongly in New Jersey - didn't shake the bank, but first I thought I was dizzy, then I thought a big truck backed into the building. I've been through them as a child in California, but this was my first Jersey tremor.

Monique
August 23rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Some felt it here in Western Quebec although I did not. Just hope that no one is injured in the aftermath.

Blondie
August 23rd, 2011, 04:27 PM
The news said it was a 5.9 just now heard. I have cable for tv, phone and internet and lost my phone service for about 20 minutes. Wierd, right? Had internet no problem, never lost tv reception either.
When I heard on the tv it was felt all along the eastern seaboard I didn't feel so all alone. Mercy! I was ready to meet the Lord in the sky! hehehe.

Hubs called from work and he didn't feel or hear a thing - but he said he was glad of that. He would've been scared to death. After living in CA for a few years, I KNEW that was what it was. Gosh, Vermont. Nancy? Wow!
This really has been a year for weather.

Now, did anyone notice their animals acting peculiar about this time? The poochies here had just been put outside for a potty break so I didn't notice them ~ sis and I were discussing borders for the pineapple blossom I am ALMOST done putting together when we started shaking.

pisceslibra
August 23rd, 2011, 04:42 PM
well we didnt fell anything in fl but our fault line is out in the ocean so we better watch out if that one goes we may have an ocean surge or the hurricane might trun this way lol i hope not hopefully it will keep turning and not hit anyone

janluna
August 23rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Blondie, my dogs got antsy and wanted outside! I was mopping and noticed the water in the bucket was swaying. Then realized it was a tremor. Haven't had one since I lived in Calif. So far I guess no one was hurt, just scared.

alliek
August 23rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
re:Big Tremor - Live in Danville VA, we felt it around 2:00-2:15 today. My 96 year old mom thought she was dreaming during her nap!
Thank the good Lord all is well with my family, scattered as they are all over the east coast and with us. Glad to read others are also Ok, hope this trend holds. Shake Rattle & Roll!!!

oldgurl4
August 23rd, 2011, 07:02 PM
OMG!!!!!!! :icon_surprised: OMG!!!

I'm Glad to Hear You are ALL OKAY!!!.....I was at work when a co-worker walked In and mentioned it. WHAT!:icon_eek:

I couldn't wait to get Home and CHeck up on you guys....
PHEWWWW!!

:icon_stunned: ~Blondie~ You can STOP doing the Rain Dance Now....

I'll Be Praying for You.... lighting Up white candles...

Please stay Safe.

TTYL

Blondie
August 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
AllieK - I live in Rockingham County outside of Eden nearer to Ridgeway/Martinvsille. My hubs is from D'ville.
good to see another "local" gal! Where do you get your fabric from these days? No more Hancocks there and I heard the quilting store on Piney Forest closed.
Hope you come back and visit some more!

Blondie
August 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM
[

QUOTE=oldgurl4;50268]OMG!!!!!!! :icon_surprised: OMG!!!

I'm Glad to Hear You are ALL OKAY!!!.....I was at work when a co-worker walked In and mentioned it. WHAT!:icon_eek:

I couldn't wait to get Home and CHeck up on you guys....
PHEWWWW!!

:icon_stunned: ~Blondie~ You can STOP doing the Rain Dance Now....

I'll Be Praying for You.... lighting Up white candles...

Please stay Safe.

TTYL

[/QUOTE]

Nope, still doing the rain dance!! LOL. No rain in a while and hopefully this Irene in the Atlantic will send some rain our way. We are not on the coast, so it will be a rain event if anything at all. That is unless she decides to show her bad manners and grow in size. All I want is a little gentle rain. You know, like in Camelot type of conditions. lol

Biglucyfan
August 23rd, 2011, 07:21 PM
I came home and found stuff on the floor and in my sewing room stuff fell everywhere. I live in Maryland and you could feel it. I hope everyone is ok.

Bubby
August 23rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Ten nuclear reactors in four states have been shut down. One had minor damage. Glad all of you are okay. We felt nothing here in Missouri. Barb

Txgrandma
August 23rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Blondie I'm so glad you and the others are ok. Gosh it sounds like it covered a huge area. We have felt very small ones here, not even big enough to really tell what they are. I remember the stories from hubbies cousin that lived in LA and it sounds really spooky to us. There sure has been a lot of crazy things happening with the weather and other strange phenomenon, for lack of a better way to put it.

donnah818
August 23rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
Having lived through a number of large quakes in Southern California,all I can say is "you aint seen nuttin yet" LOL I hope everyone is ok.The aftershocks are more scary than the 1st one.

Dragonfly
August 23rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
There sure has been a lot of crazy things happening with the weather and other strange phenomenon, for lack of a better way to put it.
Mary a couple years back when I was at University (at my age, yeah I know, go figure, seemed like a good idea at the time :lol: ). I did a personal interest elective (one not associated with my degree, you get to do one of those) and I did 'Atmosphere and Climate', it was very interesting, I even learnt why radios work, wouldn't happen without a particular characteristic of the atmosphere. Anyway ramblings aside, we looked at the whole climate change thing and a part of it is that while weather patterns will change and in fact move (here in the southern hemisphere the rain patterns are moving south), the biggest issue is that weather 'events' will be far more extreme and numerous. So that is your cyclones, tornadoes, tropical storms, etc and this also affects the frequency and intensity of things like earthquakes and tremors. So whether you believe in climate change or not you have to admit that in recent years the frequency and strength of this stuff has certainly increased and it will only get worse if we don't do something to fix it before it is too late to fix.

Well that's my bright note for the day :icon_happy: have a good one everyone. I'm glad to hear that everyone is still well despite the tremor.

danna
August 23rd, 2011, 09:15 PM
Felt it here in Winston Salem.

Chrystal Oates
August 23rd, 2011, 09:49 PM
I work on the top floor of a 12 story building in DC it was crazy. We were evacuated. It felt like someone was slamming the building around. Stuff was falling everywhere. The National Cathedral had a tower fall off. So crazy took me almost 4 hours to get home. I only live 45 miles away. It was super scary most DC buildings were evacuated and the government closed. Then no one could make cell calls. I work a block from the white house. I thought it was 9/11 all over. So crazy.

Lisaau
August 23rd, 2011, 10:27 PM
@ Lynne whilst you were at Uni did you learn anything about HAARP!!!... and how weather can be controlled and earthquakes can be manmade???.....

Loonwatcher
August 23rd, 2011, 10:54 PM
Chrystal - that must have been so scary; especially remembering 9/11. Glad you are ok.

SuzyQue
August 23rd, 2011, 10:59 PM
Just returned from moving daughter to college, to hear that my son and his wife were in the midst of this in the afternoon. They live in Richmond and were within 40 miles of the epicenter. They had neither one ever experienced this before. My son, studying his PhD in acoustics was able to study his wavelengths in real life! He filed federal paperwork?? about the seismic activity in Williamsburg from his computers at William and Mary University. He was excited! They are both fine and had no damage. Praise the Lord! Hope everyone else is ok.....haven't heard the news yet today.

janluna
August 23rd, 2011, 11:38 PM
My DIL is in Richmond for a seminar, they just had an aftershock at 4.8. She lives in Alexandria.

BellasQuilts
August 23rd, 2011, 11:51 PM
First quakes are scary! My husband (geologist) says we just stir our coffee with a 5.9. I'm happy everyone is alright! Hugs.

Dragonfly
August 24th, 2011, 02:05 AM
@ Lynne whilst you were at Uni did you learn anything about HAARP!!!... and how weather can be controlled and earthquakes can be manmade???.....
We looked at the possibilities of the early research that led to this but they don't teach that stuff at University in a general sense. My understanding is that is has great potential for harm, in many ways, it will be disruptive to the natural balance of things. We could lose a whole lot more than we gain.

Blondie
August 24th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I lived in Ca. many years ago and one of the reasons why I left the state was because of the quakes. I woke one morning to my bed walking across the room. That quake opened a road in Walbut Creek Ca area and swallowed a car. To a southern bred gal, who likes her feet on terra firma, well, let's just say I was having no more of that stuff.
While in college in SC, we had one in the 70's that shook the building I was in, and last year there was a small one in Va that was felt here in the county I live in.
I really think there is something to weather patterns.