PDA

View Full Version : Why did I bid on a juicer on eBay?

kimsophia
December 15th, 2014, 07:11 AM
I don't usually do things like this. I was just browsing the internet. A comedian I follow on my Twitter mentioned juicers in thrift stores. For some reason I thought it would be funny to look at juicers on eBay. Just totally killing time, no reason. I do not need a juicer! Not at all! Did you know juicers are pretty expensive? But hey now, there's a juicer nobody has bid on and the minimum bid is one dollar! And it's shiny!! And kinda cool looking!

Juicer Chrome Hand Powered Works Well Classic | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/151504014213?_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

I do not need a juicer. Remotely. I have a wooden citrus reamer and a little sieve for the rare occasions I need juice for a recipe.

But it was only a dollar!!! Even if I did bid on it, somebody else would snatch it away from me at that price. RIght?

I bid on the dumb juicer. ..and nobody else has!

If I don't get lucky, I will be buying a juicer from Hawaii, with shipping of $11.30.

Does anybody want a juicer? It's real cheap! It's going to be mine in 18 hours if I'm not lucky. Got any bartending friends? They might use it!

HOW AM I GOING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO MY HUSBAND???

songbird857
December 15th, 2014, 08:12 AM
You can retract your bid :)
For a buck it would be interesting to try... but the shipping!!!!!

kimsophia
December 15th, 2014, 08:20 AM
You can retract your bid :)
For a buck it would be interesting to try... but the shipping!!!!!

I don't think I can take it back...if you know a way to retract it, let me know.

TheYarnmaiden
December 15th, 2014, 08:20 AM
A 12.30$ juicer is cheaper than the one I saw at the Goodwill down the road. Pair it with a mixed bag of citrus for a last moment funny/fun gift? Throw a last minute white elephant party and you're already prepared with either a gift or a 'press your own sunrise' station.
My kitchen is too tiny, and we're spending this holiday season driving or I'd outbid you.

Monique
December 15th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I believe you can. Email the seller and tell them you made a mistake.

HandsomeRyan
December 15th, 2014, 08:33 AM
I'm pretty bad to impulse purchase things. Mine often goes beyond simply buying an item though, I'll get the idea that I need to take up a whole new hobby and start buying books and materials to support it.

Enjoy your new juicer! :)

Sonic
December 15th, 2014, 08:41 AM
I'm pretty bad to impulse purchase things. Mine often goes beyond simply buying an item though, I'll get the idea that I need to take up a whole new hobby and start buying books and materials to support it.

Enjoy your new juicer! :)
Omgosh! I do the same thing!!
I have a farm too and as you probably know there are waaaayyy to many books on how to do all things farm/homestead.
Creates all sorts of visions of grandeur... :icon_happy:

Kimsophia, I've done that once or twice.
I've thought- Oh it's just a few dollars...I'm sure someone will outbid me.
Um, yeah....

Hulamoon
December 15th, 2014, 08:44 AM
It sure is pretty!

Blondie
December 15th, 2014, 08:46 AM
See, my luck is that when and if I go on ebay it's generally to look at fabric. You ever see those that start at a penny? Of course you have! sucker that I am I always think, it just may be my lucky day. Nah. Perhaps i should start looking at juicers.

I think you can retract your bid if it is done in a certain amount of time?

songbird857
December 15th, 2014, 08:47 AM
I don't think I can take it back...if you know a way to retract it, let me know.
I have done it in the past - go to your summary page and click on the listing that you bid on... or type in retract bid in the search bar. I've only done it maybe twice ever, but I know it can be done.
found it... http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr?search=1&query=1734&popularTool=true&st=0&popularToolName=Retract a bid

Madeforyouinma11
December 15th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I didn't know that you can retract bids either, but it looks like someone else had bid and retracted their bid on the 11th, so you wouldn't be the first..
Let us know what happens..

RiverMomm
December 15th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Does anyone else think that the juicer sort of looks like Wall-e? Or maybe ET? Or is my brain into old movies this morning?

kimsophia
December 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I have done it in the past - go to your summary page and click on the listing that you bid on... or type in retract bid in the search bar. I've only done it maybe twice ever, but I know it can be done.
found it... Online Customer Service (http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr?search=1&query=1734&popularTool=true&st=0&popularToolName=Retract) a bid

But I don't meet the qualification of any of the three requirements.
"In general, bids can't be retracted, but there are some exceptions:
You made a mistake when entering your bid, e.g. $50 instead of $5.

The item's description changed significantly after you placed your bid.

You can't contact the seller."

What I did was rethink it and realize I did a dumb thing, but "Changing your mind isn't a valid reason for retracting a bid. Review listings carefully before bidding."

I'll learn my lesson now!

kimsophia
December 15th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I didn't know that you can retract bids either, but it looks like someone else had bid and retracted their bid on the 11th, so you wouldn't be the first..
Let us know what happens..

ooooh, maybe they were spike me at the very end and get it for $1.25 :D

MayinJerset
December 15th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Thought it would be one of the new juicers that make mixed fruit and veggie smoothies but it's a hand operated one. Good to have if you and your family like fresh pressed OJ. Down below there was a photo of a similar one described as a mid-century item. If it was late at night and I was half asleep while scanning Ebay I probably would have bid on that one as I'm a mid-century gal,LOL!

Your post sparked my interest in scanning EBay again for some dishes in my grandmother's pattern I'm looking for so I'll probably wind up bidding on something I really don't need or want. Maybe we should form a club or something.

Blondie
December 15th, 2014, 10:42 AM
May, there is a group here on the M* - look for "I don't want it you can have it."

Thought it would be one of the new juicers that make mixed fruit and veggie smoothies but it's a hand operated one. Good to have if you and your family like fresh pressed OJ. Down below there was a photo of a similar one described as a mid-century item. If it was late at night and I was half asleep while scanning Ebay I probably would have bid on that one as I'm a mid-century gal,LOL!

Your post sparked my interest in scanning EBay again for some dishes in my grandmother's pattern I'm looking for so I'll probably wind up bidding on something I really don't need or want. Maybe we should form a club or something.

laura44
December 15th, 2014, 03:56 PM
So sorry this happened to you.
As a seller on Ebay with over 1,000 feedback, I can tell
you I've only had one or two retractions. The only thing I can
tell you is to contact the seller and let them know you made a
mistake and want to cancel, do not mention that you changed
your mind. They might have to wait until the auctions ends because
it ends in under 24 hours. Then if you both agree it can be cancelled.
Ebay sees your bid as a contract you entered into.
Or you can wait to the auction ends and not pay, but you will
have an unpaid item case against you. Or you can resell it again
on Ebay.

FabStripper
December 15th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Maybe there is a minimum amount they will sell it for?

kimsophia
December 16th, 2014, 01:30 AM
Somebody else bought it! WHOOO HOOOOO!!!! :icon_bigsmile:

songbird857
December 16th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Somebody else bought it! WHOOO HOOOOO!!!! :icon_bigsmile:

They sure did!! LOL

laura44
December 16th, 2014, 01:54 AM
Yeah! I'm happy for you. Easy to get caught up in bidding on Ebay

kimsophia
December 16th, 2014, 02:32 AM
That was one of the dumbest things I've done lately. I'm not even gonna browse the Daily Deal anymore!!!