PDA

View Full Version : Parade of the Wooden Night Owl Soldiers

MayinJerset
December 15th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Don't know if owls know how to parade but I've quickly run out of Christmas songs to use as headings for Night Owl threads.

My sons always loved the parade of marching soldiers in the old Babes in Toyland movie with Laurel & Hardy. We took them to see a new version, circa early 1960's, starring Annette Funicello (sp?) and Frankie Avalon at Radio City Music Hall no less but it wasn't as much fun as the older one.

Spent some time in Kohl's this evening but lucky for me no one was shoplifting. Wasn't too crowed probably since we got there a bit after 5pm. Picked out several gifts and was surprised how quickly I got checked out. DH said since we'd be out why didn't we have dinner out. No problem for me as the dinner I planned to make was quickly put off until tonight. Think I've just about finished my gift shopping and that feels so good. No stress or last minute shopping for me. How are you Night Owls doing with your Christmas/Holiday shopping, plans and tree decorating?

pcbatiks
December 15th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Hi May, I'm up too. I just need to finish getting a couple of things for my hubby. Tonight I wrapped gifts for our son & his GF.........those will be mailed tomorrow. Made 3 batches of cookies today.......glad that is done. I need to wrap other gifts tomorrow. I would rather take a giant nap tomorrow but probably won't.........maybe. :D

Well.......I am wilting so I going to fly to my nest & sleep. May.......don't fall asleep and fall out of the tree!

Kgrammiecaz
December 15th, 2014, 04:33 AM
As for a tree, i made one of those little fabric folded ones. No decorating really since i spend Christmas Eve and Christmas at my daughters down the street. That seems to always be our gathering place. Lily and I made ornaments and stockings to share with all. Shopping, put me on the last minute list. I ordered from Amazon today. Couple things to get on Friday, and then a handful of gift cards the kids want. I only have my three daughters, one son in law and one granddaughter. Thats it on my list, so its really easy. I send my mom and dad things all the time, and then usually chip in with my brothers and sisters for something big for Christmas. Dont know what I am chipping in for yet, no ones said anything yet, they will let me know when they want the money.

Love Babes in Toyland. And really love Broadway, but it is different from the originals. Good to hear someone is done with their shopping.

Have a good sleep.

bubba
December 15th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Tree is still not up.....nothing is wrapped.....only have two gifts and one gift card left to buy!!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 15th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Fell asleep on the couch tonight, woke up at 11, then couldn't go back to sleep. I played computer slots for an hour, still not sleepy. So I started sewing blocks into rows that I had pieced a couple of weeks ago, stacked in rows, so I could just quickly piece the rows. Later today, I'll press my seams and put the rows together. This is now my favorite layer cake pattern, the Tea Cup Quilt pattern. It goes together so easily and can look old fashioned or modern, depending on the fabric. This one is using Stonehenge Stone Chips, variations on a theme of organic looking neutrals, so I envision it as looking modern when it's finished. We'll see!

Eyelids drooping, see you all later! Goodnight!

kimsophia
December 15th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Ordered a gift for my cousin online...Google helpfully filled out the fields for my address...well I didn't realize what was going on until I'd finished the purchase that Google also helpfully filled out the shipping address to me, which is usually right, but not at Christmas! I've sent an email to their customer service so hopefully it will not get shipped to me! D'oh!!

I'm one fourth finished with hand quilting a border for a baby sized quilt. The baby has graduated from college, so maybe it will be used for my friend's grandchild!

Juliet Taylor
December 15th, 2014, 05:22 AM
It's easy for me to write here... In Italy it's 9 AM :D

Just took out of the oven some bread I baked... 100% kamut because I have an intolerancy. Didn't have breakfast so I hate one (they're small) and now I just want to eat them all. Better put them in the freezer, away from me :D

I would love to wrap gifts but I don't want to make too much noise cause DH is still sleeping 'cause he was extra tired lately! Can't even use the sewing machine so I guess I'll choose fabric for a couple of mur rugs I want to make as gifts... no noise doing that!

I really enjoy reading you all lovely ladies. I feel... like I'm with friends :)

toggpine
December 15th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Up late.
We went to the neighbor lady's to decorate gingerbread men/houses/trains today. We only stayed for a short while and then headed to the community center for their big To Do. It was fun! There were small projects the kidlets could make and take home for little gifties.
The children all were able to have their photo taken with Santa and each child received a gift. Part of them are supplied by Toys for Tots and the Improvement Club buys the balance. They didn't want there to be a divide amongst the kids who qualified for 'free' gifts a those who didn't. While Emily didn't find her gift especially to her liking, it was a good opportunity to talk about being thankful for what we receive. We have decided that we will not open the box, and re-gift it to a friend who really likes to make jewelry. She did get to choose a small stuffed toy for playing a game and that made her about as happy as anything.

I had a fabriclanche this morning. I knew it would happen one of these days. I have been very bad about putting fabric back where it belongs lately. So today it all came crashing down. I lost precious sewing time this morning to the art of "Tidying Up". It's looking much better in the sewing room, although there is some work left to be done.

While I was in the cleaning mode, I also took a Swiffer to the big dust bunnies and changed the mats on the side tables from Summer décor to Christmas. Now, when Mom looks around in the daylight tomorrow she won't be quite so appalled!

I had better stuff the wood stove and mosey off to get some shut eye. There are cookies to bake and seams to be sewn tomorrow!

Oh, most of the Christmas shopping is done. The sewing isn't, but the shopping is!
C

Bratbear
December 15th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Fell asleep on the couch tonight, woke up at 11, then couldn't go back to sleep. I played computer slots for an hour, still not sleepy. So I started sewing blocks into rows that I had pieced a couple of weeks ago, stacked in rows, so I could just quickly piece the rows. Later today, I'll press my seams and put the rows together. This is now my favorite layer cake pattern, the Tea Cup Quilt pattern. It goes together so easily and can look old fashioned or modern, depending on the fabric. This one is using Stonehenge Stone Chips, variations on a theme of organic looking neutrals, so I envision it as looking modern when it's finished. We'll see!

Eyelids drooping, see you all later! Goodnight!

where did you find the pattern please and thank you.

MayinJerset
December 15th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Busy little Night Owls last night and soon we'll all be caught up. Not true but we're hoping for the best.

Welcome to a new Night Owl - Juliet Taylor in Ital. Fly over and sit in our tree anytime.
Are you American? If so, what is different about celebrating Christmas in Italy?

Haven't seen Brat bear here before so Welcome to you also.

If anyone else is new please let us know because we're not always at our best remembering names late at night when we can't sleep or when we're up much later than we're used to as our brains sometimes are on auto pilot. The branches in our tree are very study and an support as many owls as come to hang out.

Sandy Navas
December 15th, 2014, 11:24 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRXnSweBdPA

Jean Sewing Machine
December 15th, 2014, 11:38 AM
It's an older tutorial, but I think it is in the latest BLOCK, maybe even the cover photo. No, it's the cover of the Fall 2013 Fons and Porter Quilting Quickly!

They call it One Lump or two. It is so easy peasy, you don't need a pattern.

Juliet Taylor
December 15th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Welcome to a new Night Owl - Juliet Taylor in Ital. Fly over and sit in our tree anytime.
Are you American? If so, what is different about celebrating Christmas in Italy?

HI and thanks for the Welcome :)
I'm not American but I spent 10 months in the gorgeous Vermont as I was an exchange student 12 yrs ago. OMG 12 yrs! It seems like yesterday! I'm getting old :)

Christmas in Italy is a big deal. It's an occasion to celebrate and to sell (we have a more deep reason and one more commercial to celebrate it!)
Italy is a laic state but there are a lot of religious people and it's very common to see in houses the nativity scene and the Christmas gift even if you're not religious or not Christian.
There are a lot of dishes served only in this period... there are two famous... how could I call... sweet treats?
Panettone and pandoro, ever heard of that? Like a cake but not the same, fluffy like a sponge but rich of taste and eggs, it is something so unique I don't know what to compare to! :)
And... I don't know what to add, LOL :)

MayinJerset
December 16th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Hi Juliet, Christmas in Italy seems to be celebrated the same way we do here in US with much gift giving and special foods between Christian and non Christian alike. I'm very familiar with Panetonne as it also is a Christmas sweet for our family of Italian decent, my brother would always give a box of it to us at Christmas. Pandoro seems similar but without the raisins. 9499594996

Juliet Taylor
December 16th, 2014, 07:22 AM
YEs! Exactly! How nice :D Pandoro is similar although the dough is slightly different!
It's very trendy lately to cut pandoro and stuff it with chocolate creamor things like that but I must say I love it just the way it is!