PDA

View Full Version : Tuesdays ain't bad . . .

Blondie
August 23rd, 2011, 06:56 AM

Good Morning Ladies
Had a good day yesterday; Sis came over, I helped her cut out circles for her yo-yo bedspread, cut up a bunch of old shirts, cleaned up a little bit of my mess downstairs and handquilted a bit. Oh and yes, I continue to puppy sit my DD's babygirl dachshund, Ladybug. Actually Gracie is the one puppy sitting and she does a durn good job of it.

Sis and I have been discussing some OAMC. (Once a month cooking) I used to do that all the time when the kids were home. It was a hassle free way of keeping hot meals ready for them. I used to get quite inventive. So, anyhow, we were brainstorming yesterday and decided it would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone. Groceries have gotten so high and it seems the only way to purchase anything to save a bit is to buy in bulk. Hopefully we can get some menus planned out that are pleasing to both hubbies, shop and cook together.

Off to get my housework done before it heats up. It is glorious outside here this morning at dark thirty. The windows are open, I am thoroughly grooving on the cool air.

Enjoy your Tuesday, Ladies.

RFREE
August 23rd, 2011, 07:34 AM
Good mornin Blondie and all my other quilting buddies. I can't believe Monday is behind us.Being so busy at work everyday the clock just flies.I love being busy but man this makes a person old real quick! Please help me prey for a dear friend who is going to Nashville to day to have a grapefruit sized mass on her ovary looked at.All the markers are red flags for cancer.She is 35,never married and no kids.She was adopted and has had health issues her whole life.That is the third bad news within a week.When will this madness end.I am really worried about her.
I got up a little earlier today.I just love looking at every bodies posts and their pictures.This place lifts me up when I am down and I sure have been down lately:(. Anyway I am off to get ready for work. I made my classroom banana nut bread last night. That will be a treat to get us up and going first thing.I can taste the coffee now...Here's hoping you all have a wonderful day and god bless you all.Hugs
Rhonda

quilter.martha
August 23rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Oh Rhonda, so sorry to learn yet of another friend fighting cancer. I know how heavy your heart must be right now. I'll pray for her as well as you! Your banana bread sounds good (haven't had breakfast yet)! Last night my DD made zucchini bread and we ate some of it hot from the oven. It was sooo yummy. That's the best way to eat zucchini!

It's a sad day for me. I am taking our 19 year old kitty to the vet in just a little while to be put down. She is failing bit by bit, and I can't bear to see her suffer. So we're doing this before she gets too bad. It's hard, as you all know, since our pets become our children. Don't know if I'll have the heart to do any sewing today, will just have to wait and see.

Have a good day everyone.

Bubby
August 23rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Martha, My heart breaks for you. Our beloved Scotty dog, Molly, is in the same position. I just haven't been able to do it yet. Our pets are truly our family. My prayers are with you....Barb

quiltingtrish
August 23rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Good morning everyone,
Bulk cooking - I've read up on that but have never tried it. Sounds like a good plan, Blondie. Perhaps when you guys decide on some receipes, you could share some. When I did my annual checkup last week and went into the commissary, I decided I wanted to do a once a month bulk shopping there. It's 45 minutes away so thought that it was a waste of gas and time, but the amount of money I saved that day was incredible so I'm going to try it - other than the occasional run to the local store for bread and milk, I hope to save lots of time and gas by not running back and forth once a week here.

I' m sorry to hear about yet another friend that is so sick, Rhonda. I have her in my prayers. That sounds like quite a large mass.

Oh Martha - my heart goes out to you too for your dearest kitty. I always am there when they are put down so they know that I would never leave them. I think that's why my heart was so broken when we found one of ours outside in December who we think just laid down with a heart attack - cause I wasn't there. My prayers are with you today too - she knows how much you love her.

A last short jaunt for me today and tomorrow to see my friend out in western PA before my school year starts up again. Need to get moving. Wanted to get a project ready to take along to work on, but just didn't get to it so think we'll probably just sit and relax. Had a visit from my older sister last night and then Katie stopped by with her new boyfriend. So, there went the evening. This 'get out of here' visit has come at the perfect time. Anyways ....

Hope you all have a good day - I hope to check in tomorrow night.
Hugs,

pdjewelrylady
August 23rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
Good Morning :) up and at it early today - so much to catch up on!! LOL
my baby sister and I used to make ahead meals and have them in the freezer, was a great way to keep life simple with kids! i should do that again when my grandbabies come to visit! lol (not!) looking forward to spoling him with cookies and cake!! hahahaha
we will be having a busy busy day of clearing the yard and dragging everything into the garage getting ready for hurricane to fill the lakes and ponds. at least no plywood over the windows with this one....thank goodness because that is a ton of work and scarey too. i have some beautiful lily and other perinnal flowers blooming and need to think of a way to protect them.... any ideas??
have a super GREAT day today ladies - hugs all around and many many blessings :)

Lisaau
August 23rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
rhonda I hope your friend will be ok ...l'm sure she will be the mass is probably just a cyst I had one about 10 years ago inside my right ovary and it burst and caused my ovary swell to the size of an orange. They will probably do a laproscope and remove it she will have 3 small incisions and be perfectly fine......I had an emergency laproscope and my ovary was cleaned out .......I'II keep her in my thoughts but l'm sure she will be fine

sally
August 23rd, 2011, 10:46 AM
Martha I too feel your pain. My kitty's are 19 and 10 . So far the old guy is still going strong but I know the day will come and I too will have to make the same decission. Hugs to you!
My monday wasn't so bad give that on friday I was ready to quit. I had such a BAD day but I trusted that there was a reason and sure enough there was. WIthout going into it though the saying ..."what goes around comes around" is so true!
My DH is being such a trooper being that he is home with my mom during the day. Only problem we have run in to so far is that she is hard of hearing and the TV is so loud we are getting headaches. So I slip upstairs to do some sewing and she doesn't know I am gone so good witht the bad. PS I love sayings....
Have a great one everyone. Morining Jackie!

pisceslibra
August 23rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
good morning hope everyone has a great day mine started out really good i got my son to use the potty after 3 day of bribing him with everything and then he said something about wanting a doughnut and i told him he had too pee in the potty before he got a doughnut and he used it and am so proud of him hope to get some quilting done today and relaxing time

sally
August 23rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
April...YEAH! PS I am a libra too. When is your bd?

EsGrandma
August 23rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Dear Quilty buddies, My prayers go out for you all - Would like to work on Christmas placemats today and hopefully can some tomatoes before it gets too hot.

Sandy Navas
August 23rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
When I check into here I don't know whether to laugh, sigh, or cry. So, I just send up prayers where needed. Rhonda, I think Lisaau is probably right on about your friend. Let's pray that's the case.

Shauna, I'm laughing because when my Roommate (DH) finally gives up on his computer and watches TV with me he always asks me to turn up the volume. And I, too, get a headache. However, when we get those special discount offers in the mail for a free hearing check up he says he can hear just fine . . . I give up. I am going to learn sign language and maybe he'll get the message.

I'm going to be heading to my Li'l Sis's place this morning with the back of my car full of boxes. Today, FINALLY, we are all together and the installer is coming to set up the quilting machine. I did challenge Sis to have a quilt ready and she pulled out a UFO and has it all ready to go. I have a King-Size that I started about two years ago that will be the next in line - but I need to get the three sections together first. It is amazing how much I've learned in all that time. Maybe one day I can call myself a quilter.

Really should be outside picking up debris from two storms back to back - but it will be there tomorrow. We're very concerned about our friends in the path of Irene. Wasn't there a song about "Good Night, Irene, Good Night"? Maybe she'll listen if we all sing it together.

Hugs and Prayers. Waiting to hear results on Emily - think Jan said it would be Wednesday before we know anything. And Gina, if you are checking in now and then, join the fun. We miss you. Hugs to everyone who is headed off to work - I have put in my time and guarantee you that when you are able to retire (in this economy????) that you will be busier than ever.

Love you all!!!!

Loonwatcher
August 23rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Hi All,

Rhonda - so sorry about your friend. Sending prayers. But Lisa is probably right (I hope). I too had a cystic ovarian tumor. It was about 6" and they had to do a full hysterectomy....but no cancer. I think these cysts are quite common. On another note, I'm surprised you could put nuts in your banana bread for school. Our school doesn't allow anything with nuts due to allergies.

Martha - so sorry about your kitty. They are such family members. I think you should sew when you get home. Maybe make a special table runner or wall hanging to celebrate your kitty's life.

Sandy - I wish I could retire NOW!!!

Back to work. Hugs,

bakermom
August 23rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Martha, sorry about your kitty-it's so hard even when you know you are doing the right thing.

i need to get working on a little romper for someone small. the smocking is done, now i have to finish sewing it. I have a couple more panels pleated to put in something for GD and GS. not too worried about being able to smock for GD, but I know my window of opportunity is small for GS.

i never did the cook once month thing, but I would buy gr. beef in bulk and make up meatballs, meatloaf, etc. and freeze them. also would buy 10lb. bag of chicken breasts and cook them up so ll I had to do was heat up. although if i didn't watch they would all be eaten before I could freeze them. big change going from 7 to cook for down to 2!

debinmalaga
August 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Martha, I'm so sorry about your kitty... thinking of you today.

Rhonda, hoping for the best with your friend!

When we had four kids to feed I did "big cooking" a couple of times a month. Used to make trays and trays of lasagna, mac and beef, casseroles, etc., and freeze them. Made life a lot easier, saved time and money. You go, Blondie!

Monique
August 23rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Well got my walk in this morning. Neighbour came over for coffee. Laundry done and now grass all cut. Looks good. And I smell sweet now after my shower.

Hopefully no of you have suffered any loss from the recent earthquake.

I did get some quilting done last night. And I signed up for the new swap. Sounds like a blast.

I am not an animal lover and have never had one here but I do feel for you when you have to put one down. Just know that in your heart you are doing the right thing, and not the easy thing.

Rhonda, hopefully your friend will come out of this just fine. Prayers are for NO CANCER!!

Cooking once a month sounds wonderful. Who would like to come over and do it for me? No takers huh!!

Have an awesome rest of the day.

janluna
August 23rd, 2011, 05:05 PM
Martha and Rhonda I am praying for your pet and the grief you will feel and Rhonda for your people and you. I will put them all on our prayer chain.
My DIL is in Richmond VA. and she was pretty shook up but ok now. Also a friend that is in Alexandria. Laura didn't know she felt it. She had a king size comforter in the washer and it was shaking the washer all over and she was holding on to it. She didn't know part of the shaking was her house!! She is ok. For a 5.9 quake it sure has been felt in enough places. I was mopping the floor and my water started swaying back and forth and all of a sudden the dogs were antsy to go out. I wouldn't have noticed it except for that.
CNN is full of news today! I'll check in later. No word on Emily's blood work yet. Hugs, Jan L.

janluna
August 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
OK, we have news on Emily. Her ANC level went up a fraction, still below normal though. However her white count dropped and so did her platelet or red blood cells went down as well. Not good. Her ANC count are things like her T cells and other cell counts It was 890 and only went up a couple of points. They are concerned with her white cells and her red cells going down. The doctors are deciding what to do about that. They said they may put her back on her chemo drugs before they will do a blood transfusion. I'm not happy with that. They may do another blood work up before Monday. So everything is in limbo while they make up their minds. I know you will keep her in prayer and our family blesses you for that as prayer can be powerful. She is keeping her hopes up that she can go back to school. If it gets too bad she won't be able to. As sick as she is she was an all A student last year and made first chair in violin and also she was on the all state soccer team which she also loves. If this continues she will be out of both things. She is putting it all in God's hands and is hoping for the best. She is amazing! My faith in her doctors is wavering. The other alternative is a bone marrow transplant which they have said is a last ditch effort to save her life. We are praying that this doesn't happen. That she rallies and her levels go back up. They have a very strong church family and they had a series on hate in her church. They have told the church body that they shouldn't even say the word hate because it can take over your life. She was saying prayers with her Dad and said "Daddy I know we are not supposed to hate things but I think I hate Aplastic Anemia!" My son told her it was ok after all this time she had a right to hate it. She asked again "Do you think I'm dying?" "I'm afraid to go to sleep, cause I may not wake up."
They had a long discussion that the docs and Mom and Dad and grandparents were all trying to keep that from happening and that she had prayer chains that are all over the world praying for her. She said "but what if it happens?" He said if it happens, you will wake up in heaven and will be with Jesus and your great grandparents and they will take care of you until the rest of us join you. She said, "you all better be real good Christens then, OK?" Joey said," We're all trying our best to be the best Christens we can be." She told him she felt better and she could sleep now. Joey went back downstairs and he and Heather fell apart. My heart is breaking for all of them. Laura who is 8 asked me the same basic question and I had given her the same answer. Laura said good I feel better now. It is affecting her sisters as well and I am proud of them for handling it the way they have. Emily's not being lied to. And she is too smart to know if we were. She has more faith than all of us put together.
So yes, please keep praying for her. Love and God bless you all for your giving spirit. We need it. Hugs, Jan

quilter.martha
August 23rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Oh Jan, my heart is so heavy for you and your family. I will keep all of you in my prayers. Keep up the faith. God is in control and He keeps all of you in his hands.

Blondie
August 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
For Martha, Jan, Rhonda, and all my favorite quilting friends here is a special hug and prayer for each of you.

sally
August 23rd, 2011, 08:40 PM
An Irish prayer for Jan's sweet Emily...
May God grant you always...
A sunbeam to warm you,
A moonbeam to charm you,
A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.

janluna
August 23rd, 2011, 11:45 PM
Thank you Shauna! Love you sweetie. Thank you everyone. Hugs, Jan

janluna
August 23rd, 2011, 11:52 PM
Good night everyone! Sweet dreams. Prayers for all of you who need them. Hugs, Jan L.