PDA

View Full Version : Friday!

Blondie
December 12th, 2014, 07:50 AM

Happy Friday folksies!

Yesterday was such a wonderfully productive day for me - I actually cleaned, cooked, worked and had more energy than I've had in a week. let's see if it holds up the rest of the week end. I feel a marathon of sorts coming on and boy do I need to keep that surge level up.

I am needing to do some Holiday Baking in the next little while. Perhaps I will try a new recipe along with some favorite oldies and family traditional ones. Wow, typing that and visions of my maternal grands popped in my head. My Grands worked in a bakery for years where they first met and fell in love. What yummy baked goods they knew how to create. That particular gene jumped over me onto my Little Sis. That gal can flat out bake the heckfire shoot out of Betty Crocker. I only do easy peasy things like choc chips and magic cookie bars. she can do the dough and rolling pin thing.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. No one needs to be reminded that we only have one full week to go before it's Christmas week. Off to read a bit here; prayers, blessings, hugs and smiles to all.

Carol336
December 12th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Good morning Blondie, and all who follow.

I hear you on the baking genes.....I got zilch of those.....most of what I bake turns out pretty bad. So my holiday traditions are rum balls and peanut butter chocolate bon bons - no baking required....just gotta know how to roll balls - and I can roll em with the best of them!!!!

Out to lunch today with my baby boy, well he's actually a middle aged old guy (42). But he always takes his Momma out for her bday. Yep that's right - today is the big day - I cannot believe I'm 70 today....how in the hell did that happen!!! I feel like I'm still 25 - ok ok make that 45....but certainly much younger than I am.

Then DH is making me a shrimp and pasta dinner tonight... boy can that man cook.

So it's gonna be a good day for me.....as long as I don't dwell on the age thing!!!!

Good luck with your baking Blondie

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

Monique
December 12th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Good morning. I finally got my tree up and decorated. It has been a hectic week. Working until 1 in the afternoon pretty well frigs up the rest of the day. Another work day today, and then tomorrow until noon. I haven't done a darn bit of quilting, so I better get my big fat derriere in gear.

It is a wonder that I don't have a huge black eye this morning. I hit my eye on a corner of a shelf, all the while scratching my arm on a pin of some kind while I was looking for something. Anyway, no black eye this morning.

Have a wonderful day friends.

HandsomeRyan
December 12th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Morning all,

Blondie, can you send some of that energy this way? I'm still dying of this cold. I've never coughed so much in my life.

I'm at work today (hey, these plants aren't going to grow themselves) but I'm blowing off the company Christmas party this afternoon and going home early. It is a potluck but they still want $5 per person, $10 per couple, or $15 per family to attend and it is being held here so they are not even paying to rent a space. What? If I'm providing the food, what exactly is this money going to pay for?! I need a new job. #BadAttitude

I really need to finish the sewing on the tree skirt but I'm having some trouble getting motivated. Maybe this will be a tree skirt for next Christmas.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Ginny B
December 12th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Good morning and Happy Friday everyone. We had a nice dinner with friends last night. There were 10 of us and the restaurant was decorated beautifully. There were carolers and the food was very good.

Going to be a frustrating day at work today I'm afraid. I am working on updating the Tables of Org for our department and those little boxes just wouldn't do/go where I wanted them to. Grrrrr Wish me luck.

Dh and I are going to head to the mall to knock out some more Christmas shopping tonight. Tomorrow we have a wedding to go to and then I hope to get our Christmas Tree bought and decorated on Sunday. I really just want to lay back down this morning but I won't. Time to get dressed and get this Friday moving along. Have a good one everyone.

dwil23
December 12th, 2014, 09:17 AM
First of all -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CAROL!!!!

Those milestone birthdays have a way of sneaking up on us much too fast.We just have to be thankful for them and make the most of each day getting to them and then to the next.

Blondie, glad you are feeling better! Ryan hope you do soon. I have a lot of those "next Christmas" projects left from a couple of years ago!

Yes, less than two weeks and the tree is still bare as it was when I put it up in OCTOBER. If I could get some help to do the daily things around here - maybe I could get to the special things. Yeah, not going to happen. I would love to do some baking, too. I keep thinking "Next Year is going to be different", but the sad reality is until I am retired, nothing will change and it will always be a last minute rat race. I still have my friends quilt (gift from TWO YEARS ago) to hand stitch the binding on, and am pressing and prepping Evan's I SPY for sandwiching. Hope I can manage to get that one done, but it's not looking good. I will give it to him anyway, just have to take it back and finish.

Last night I went to a "Christmas Coffee" that is a fund raiser for the Benevolence department of my sister's Church. It was really nice - all the tables set up and decorated - so many beautiful ones. I then made a run across town to pick up something I saw in a sale flyer and the only store that had it was about 30 miles from me - fortunately they were open until 11. Lots to do today and then back to work tonight.

Prayers and Blessings for all!

'Tis the Season!!

MayinJerset
December 12th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Seems Blondie's new found enthusiasm hasn't spread to the rest of us but we'll get the jobs done, slowly but surely. Ryan you'll certainly feel much better at home this afternoon skipping the company party - never heard of bringing a dish and also paying for the food. Yes, Happy Bday Carol and enjoy lunch with your DS.

Nice Christmas lunch yesterday afternoon with BFF and her DH, we arrange it mid December so we're not too rushed. Lunch this afternoon with my Granny cousins, only 3 this month as other cousin had something come up. Then no special eating for a few days so I'll will be able to eat some lighter foods. These 2 hostesses are great cooks but they make so many dishes to sample that somehow no dish stands out because many times they don't go together. Eggplant parm is one of my favorites but not when you're serving grilled salmon, rice pilaf and steamed veggies. When I entertain I keep the menu simple but have plenty of each dish and end with a plain dessert and a calories laden one (well just one fattening dish couldn't hurt).

We've had snow on and off since yesterday afternoon, just some on the lawns right now as the sun is out but only 33 degrees. Cold is affecting my right hand fingertips as they feel numb making it difficult to zipper up my winter jacket from my knees to my neck. I have to bend over to try to get the zipper together but I can't see what I'm doing or feel how to get the 2 parts together to zip it up. There are no buttons on the jacket so I'm going to sew some strips of Velcro inside the coat facing so I can just press the coat closed.

Sorry for being such a downer this morning, gotta get another cup of coffee and maybe my cranky mood will disappear.

Grandma Nan
December 12th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Well good morning folks.

I just compiled what could only be a "Nobel Prize for Literature" and went to post and my internet lost connection. There is no way I can reproduce that so just going to say, it will be a busy weekend of last minute things for me and lots of others I expect.

Blessings to all those who need it- you are not forgotten by any of your forum friends.

Hugs to all and keep the economy going with your retail therapy.

Grandma Nan

dwil23
December 12th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Grandma Nan- I didn't loose connection and what I had originally typed went away - POOF! so frustrating!

Bubby
December 12th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Morning Everyone

It's frigid cold here today. I need to go to Wal-Mart later to pick up meds and a few food items. I've been making do by shopping at the local market, but oy their prices! So I will bite the bullet and drive to Houston.

Tomorrow is our annual gift exchange with your dear neighbors. Luckily I made their gift before I got sick.

Happy Birthday to our Carol336. Yes, those milestone birthdays have a way of creeping up on us.

Ryan, I hope you get over your cold soon. I don't blame you for skipping the office party...go home and rest.

Wishing everyone a blessed day...

Mpyles
December 12th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Happy birthday carol!!! Ryan...charging for a Christmas party does seem odd... Everyone have a great day!!

Ahamblin
December 12th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Good Morning Everyone. Blondie please send me some of your energy. I could really use it. Happy Birthday Carol. Ryan, this cold is tough. I have had it for about two weeks and my DH has had it for four. The coughing is the worst. Takes the starch right out of you as my mother used to say. Hang in there.

I really need to get busy with Christmas shopping. My daughter's presents need to be in the mail next week and I still haven't bought a thing. Not sure why I am so slow this year. Having trouble really getting into the Christmas spirit. I have a few items made but need to not only finish shopping but just get started. I usually get a lot done on the internet but now running out of time. Boy time is really flying by this year. Maybe I'll put on some Christmas music and that will help.

It's cold here and we have about 18" of snow on the ground but streets are clear so off to the mall. Did I mention I hate the mall. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Amy R
December 12th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Happy Birthday Carol!!!! Enjoy your special day!!!!!

Last night, I caught kit kat.... cheating on me!! That's right, hubby camped out on the couch so his snoring wouldn't keep me awake, and kit was not only snuggled on him, but making muffins!!! (kneading). Traitor!! LOL anyway he soon got sick of him (probably started snoring) and came slinking back to me. Ha ha! He likes me to hold him like a teddy bear.

I think sophie only woke up twice, once while we were awake and once just as we were getting to sleep. She was quite the handful yesterday, but we did get to play outside a couple times in the sunshine. Still cold but the sun felt so good!!

Today's tutorial is a really neat idea. I have my eye set on a couple fabric ideas for it for the master bedroom's quilt and this might just be the winner. If I don't do mini periwinkle when I get my free template bundle from the DD the other day :D. However, all those little periwinkles to make a king sized quilt may be too much.
I do love the look of batiks, but I seem to have some trouble with them, they don't seem to behave like the other fabrics... anyone else see this?

I am trying to frantically get mom's quilt done before she gets here next week. Then I can start the other projects I've been chomping on the bit for! I need to piece and quilt the flannel bb blanket and then sandwich and quilt the other two small ones I have pieced already. Dad's vest needs to be sewn, no pattern just used an existing vest as an idea. Still need to do brother's placemats the list is getting crazy!!! *paper bag*

I received a special bundle yesterday with a charm pack and a very uplifting note inside. I'll be making cross wall hangings for the rooms in the house with it. The color varieties are just perfect for different colors. *hugs*

Anyways hoping all of you have a happy healthy weekend ahead.

Simply Quilting
December 12th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Good Morning!!! Happy Birthday Carol!!!

I'm feeling so much better than yesterday. I was in bed until a little after 2PM not feeling well yesterday. We are off this morning to the city. We have to made a mad dash to several places and be back in time for dh to get to work this afternoon. We are going to try to get the children's annual Hallmark Christmas Ornaments today. The only place that I think to get them is Kohl's as all the Hallmark stores have closed around the area. We pick up everyone's new glasses today. I tried a totally different style this year so not sure if I will like them or not. Then we are going to get pictures of the children taken. This evening I'm going to a freezer meal activity. We are going to make several recipes that go into gallon ziplock bags to freeze for later.

I don't know if any sewing will get done today. But there are several projects that have to get done before Sunday. So it might be a sew-a-thon sometime this weekend.

Have a wonderful Friday and a great weekend everyone :)

MRoy
December 12th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Good morning! Happy Birthday Carol! Our Christmas will pretty much be over after this weekend. DS's request for leave on the day after Christmas was denied so we're meeting him halfway on Sunday to have Christmas early. Then I've got small items to mail to the grands on Monday and phone calls to them and DS on the big day and that's it. I did get out the mini Christmas tree that I used in my office when I worked and I put it on top of the entertainment center. Tree's up!

Madeforyouinma11
December 12th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Good morning everyone
Well, I have finally finished the woodlands quilt and got that into the mail on Wednesday and I also finished the binding on the 3 fleece/flannel throws that I was working on and those will go in the mail later today.. it's really nice to have those crossed off my to do list.
I have lots of cleaning and sewing to do and I'm hoping to get alot of it done in the next few days.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAROL! Hope you have a great day..age is only a number.
Ryan, I hope you feel better soon..this cold is kicking butt this year.
Good thoughts and prayers going out to all who need them.
Hoping everyone has a wonderful weekend.

GrammaBabs
December 12th, 2014, 11:04 AM
LOVE THIS LABEL!!!!! Words to live by at Christmas Time:)

Happy Friday folksies!

Yesterday was such a wonderfully productive day for me - I actually cleaned, cooked, worked and had more energy than I've had in a week. let's see if it holds up the rest of the week end. I feel a marathon of sorts coming on and boy do I need to keep that surge level up.

I am needing to do some Holiday Baking in the next little while. Perhaps I will try a new recipe along with some favorite oldies and family traditional ones. Wow, typing that and visions of my maternal grands popped in my head. My Grands worked in a bakery for years where they first met and fell in love. What yummy baked goods they knew how to create. That particular gene jumped over me onto my Little Sis. That gal can flat out bake the heckfire shoot out of Betty Crocker. I only do easy peasy things like choc chips and magic cookie bars. she can do the dough and rolling pin thing.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. No one needs to be reminded that we only have one full week to go before it's Christmas week. Off to read a bit here; prayers, blessings, hugs and smiles to all.

Sandy Navas
December 12th, 2014, 11:09 AM
My little contribution for the day.

Finished the top of my Aunt Clara's quilt (made MY way) yesterday. Got a couple other projects out and ready to do some creation. Now I just have to make up my mind what comes next. Think it will be my rendition of a Log Cabin - and not follow Jenny's video of the day. I don't need no durn geese in my cabin. Al did finish the special quilting on a COC quilt - and I have half the binding hand-stitched. Hopefully I can get that done, throw the quilt in the laundry and get it mailed to someone very special in the morning. I'll post pictures later.

Going to make some rum balls before heading to the sewing room today - that's going to be the extent of my 'cooking'. I may have to pull a Julia Childs and make sure the rum is of good quality before wasting it on cookies.

And so, I wish you all a good day, a great end of the week, an even more fantastic start of the weekend, and comforting prayers and special thoughts for all in need.

. . . and boB, Momma said to kick back and be GOOD . . . only 12 more days until Santa comes.

BobW
December 12th, 2014, 11:13 AM
My little contribution for the day.

Finished the top of my Aunt Clara's quilt (made MY way) yesterday. Got a couple other projects out and ready to do some creation. Now I just have to make up my mind what comes next. Think it will be my rendition of a Log Cabin - and not follow Jenny's video of the day. I don't need no durn geese in my cabin. Al did finish the special quilting on a COC quilt - and I have half the binding hand-stitched. Hopefully I can get that done, throw the quilt in the laundry and get it mailed to someone very special in the morning. I'll post pictures later.

Going to make some rum balls before heading to the sewing room today - that's going to be the extent of my 'cooking'. I may have to pull a Julia Childs and make sure the rum is of good quality before wasting it on cookies.

And so, I wish you all a good day, a great end of the week, an even more fantastic start of the weekend, and comforting prayers and special thoughts for all in need.

. . . and boB, Momma said to kick back and be GOOD . . . only 12 more days until Santa comes.

But what does Sis say?

Claire Hallman
December 12th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Happy, Happy Birthday to Carol, enjoy your day.

I would skip that Christmas party and do one of my own with my $15.00.

I need to get going and get some baking, wrapping and wash done today. I only slept about 2 hour last night so a nap might be a good thing today.

I have sit and sew tomorrow and will hopefully make some progress on my Emily's wedding quilt. I have not decided if I like the 54-40 or fight blocks well enough to make the shoo fly blocks of just cut my losses and make a smaller quilt. I am not thrilled with my Dear Betty fabric, it is not the 30's style I was after, more 40-50s colors. It will certainly be bright when it is done.

I love the quilt in today's video but I am not a fan of batiks, wonder how it would look in regular fabrics? I got a jelly roll that is sort of foulard prints in dullish colors, maybe the black geese would perk it up.

Sandy Navas
December 12th, 2014, 11:26 AM
But what does Sis say?

Sis says:

toggpine
December 12th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Apparently all of the prepping worked! We kept power through the storm. Although we didn't get the gusts others did.

It looks like I have one branch to pull off of the back fence, but everything else looks good from here. I'll double check in a few minutes when I go out to feed and fill water buckets.

I have the corner blocks to cut and assemble today for Dad's quilt and I can begin to assemble the larger block components. This may really get done before Christmas!

I'll get those done this morning and then I have to spend some time in the kitchen. I have more jam/jelly to make so I can put away the canning gear. Mom is planning on a cookie baking marathon Sunday & Monday. I'm going to need ALL of the counter space in there for that!

Here is to spreading happiness and cheer as far and wide as you possibly can today!
Hugs, Cathy

EnumclawGramma
December 12th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Hi! Technically it's still morning, for me anyway. Getting a late start. We avoided loosing power in the big storm as well. It howled all night though! Whoa! Glad it's past and the rain is slowing down for a bit.

Saturday is our Family Christmas party. That's where my Hubby's entire family.....siblings, kids, grands all get together to celebrate. It's a big big deal. The best part is the White elephant gift exchange. Always lots of laughs, and this is the only time we ALL get together during the year.

Sunday is our 40th Anniversary. I got the call from my oldest son to not make plans, he and his sibs are taking us out to dinner. I have no idea where we're going, but an evening with all my kids and their kids is not to be missed! 40 years. Where did it go?

I've got to get the move on here. Starting late takes away the luxury of lingering here for long! Have a wonderful Friday, a GREAT weekend. Smile and here's hug and prayers for you if you want or need!