PDA

View Full Version : Feels like I lost friends 😔

Embquilt
December 12th, 2014, 04:24 AM
I've been enjoying coming to this forum for quite some time - occasionally posting and occasionally lurking. I posted with much excitement about a wonderful surprise from my hubby, a new sewing/embroidery machine, only to be "machine shamed" about the brand of machine I recieved as a present by a couple of forum members. Thankfully, on a positive note a couple of members congratulated me on mygift and helped with my question.

Basically, the experience left me sad as I've always considered this forum as a place to share my enjoyment of my sewing, quilting, embroidering, and crafting with fellow like minded people. I took a step back and decided to share my experience.

What I am trying to hopefully relay is please try to be kind - if someone asks for advice, share the negative and the positive - if they are trying to share good news for them, say hooray or good luck - if they need uplifting, then in the very uplifting way I've read many times support, pray etc.

My hubby and I have a blended family and are blessed with seven children (18-30). When our youngest started kindergarten, he took me to lunch and surprised me with what was then the top of the line pffaff sewing/embroidery machine. And this year when our youngest started college (and left me with an empty nest for the first time while undergoing many health issues), he surprised me with a singer sewing and embroidery machine. It is no where near the top of the line but has a much larger embroidery field than what I had and stitches out beautifully!

Sorry for my rambling but I was hurt and wanted to return and find my friends again. May everyone have a blessed holiday season and a wonderful new year!
Lisa

toggpine
December 12th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Wow. So sorry that they rained on your parade.

I know nothing about the embroidery machines, so I don't have an opinion one way or the other.
I hope that the new machine gives you much enjoyment and cranks out many fun projects.

Heaven forbid "The Sewing Machine Police" ever find out what I'm sewing my quilts with! I'm going with Tim Gunn's famous line on this one. "Make it work!"
There was one gal on here that was using something that very closely resembled a little kid's sewing machine. (Seriously, all it was missing was a Hello Kitty sticker.) She was limited to a straight stitch, but she was piecing tops, and they looked good. It was even more impressive when we saw her machine! I think she finally was able to save up and get a larger (regular-sized) machine.

You have fun with your new baby!

bubba
December 12th, 2014, 05:18 AM
I am so sorry that you feel you were not treated nicely. There are some here who get my goat....I've given them a fair chance then I block them so I don't have to read their posts unless I have to.

The machine I bought three years ago is the Singer Quartet. I have not had any problems with it and bought it mainly because it offered the option of embroidery, which I have yet to even try! Last week, my husband, aka MM, surprised me for Christmas with not just a Juki 2010, but also a Babylock Espire that someone had traded in. I know there are some who would turn up their noses at used machines, especially one older than the one I was already using, but seriously, it looks like a brand new machine that has barely been used! It was offered at a magnificent price and was too good to pass up. When he told the clerk to ring them both up, I was floored. Like yours, my husband is also great and is very supportive of my sewing.

So put whatever others said behind you and get sewing!!! I look forward to seeing all the wonderful things you will make!

MayinJerset
December 12th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Forget about anything negative anyone said just bask in the knowledge that there are many more wishing you many years of good sewing with your new machine. I have a Pfaff, a little Gem and an old cheap Brother - they all are put to use and when the quilt is finished only I know if it was sewn with the cheapie machine or the expensive Pfaff. It is securely sewn together, looks great and someone is enjoying it and that's all that really matters.

lourixe
December 12th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Well, I am sorry there are people that snob other people's machines! I am happy you got a new toy to play with, and that it was a gift from somebody that cares for you. Enjoy your sewing/embroidery time!

Bouse
December 12th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Congratulations on your new toy. May you have hours of endless pleasure working with it.

marsharini
December 12th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Congratulations on your new machine.

I've often wondered why, when someone posts a question asking for a specific answer, there are some who chime in who have no answer to the question being asked, but definitely have an opinion. Whatever happened to "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Iris Girl
December 12th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Enjoy your new machine. Remember everyone has their own opinions on machines from a past experience or an experience a close friend had. It should no way sway you one way or the other. I know in my situation it is why I buy what I buy and won't own what I don't have if that makes sense. Everyone has a favorite brand anything...does not mean others are not as good or better. And anyone can have a lemon.
Don't worry about what people say judge for yourself :) Happy sewing

Monique
December 12th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I am sorry you have treated like this. I know absolutely nothing about 'machines' embroidery or otherwise.

What a wonderful husband you have, to have bought it for you. My husband would never attempt to buy such a gift.

buckeyequilter
December 12th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Sorry this happened to you...I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your new machine.

Bubby
December 12th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one and not everyone is kind. I hope you enjoy many happy years with your new machine. I have a sewing/emb machine and enjoy it immensely.

marytfnp
December 12th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Congrats on your new machine. I have been considering an embroidery machine, I will keep this model on my list

Suzette
December 12th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I saw those posts Lisa and my heart goes out to you. I was pretty shocked myself that some folks said negative things about Singer's on a post where you were excited to have a new one in your home and a gift from your hubby to boot. I truly am empathetic to your hurt feelings.

On a sunnier note, I hope you enjoy many years with your Singer and what a very sweet hubby to have bought one for you! :icon_bigsmile:

Lightwriter
December 12th, 2014, 09:16 AM
As long as you are happy with your machine and it functions as it should, you should be good to go! Mine is not fancy, but so far it does the job better than the other machines I have had. Like anything else there are a million different opinions on machines! Be proud of what you have and most of all, have fun using it!!

dwil23
December 12th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Well, I missed that thread, but congrats on your new machine!

Vonnie
December 12th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Congratulations on having such a sweet hubbie!

And enjoy your machines!

I mentioned a while back about a certain product that I found useful - you'd be surprised at how many people jumped in to say they hated it!

Some products people love and some hate it like the many topics on minkee. I did not know before hand that it was suppose to be a difficult fabric to work with. Did not have any problems and absolutely love it. Others don't and that's okay. But, if I had read all the negative comments about it before hand, I would have not tried it.

Grandma Nan
December 12th, 2014, 09:43 AM
I both love and hate social media. It is very difficult sometimes to convey tone of voice or intention. Many times comments sound really rude. Sometimes it is probably intentional but many times I think it is unintentional but nevertheless it hurts feelings.

Congratulations on your new machine. Nothing better than a surprise gift from your true love. My feeling is if it does the job for you then it is the perfect machine. Sewing machines and cars are similar in many ways. Everyone has an opinion not always backed up by facts, Many times we would love to drive a fancy car but the one we have gets us from A to B. So, if it does the job for you, it is the perfect machine.

Sew on and know your friends are still here.

sewelegant
December 12th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Well, I also have a Singer sewing/embroidery machine. But mine's about 13 yrs old. That machine is a work horse! I don't use it much for embroidery any more (but that's what I bought it for). And it certainly was not cheap!! Paid around $3000 for it from a Singer store. So pooh on everyone's negative comments. I also have a Brother Disney sewing/embroidery machine which is an excellent machine. Just because it doesn't say Pfaff, Babylock, etc doesn't mean it's not an excellent machine. I drive a Toyota, gets me everywhere I need to go. It's not a Lexus, Bently, Mercedes, etc., but it does exactly the same job. Gets me from point A to point B and beyond!

Learner quilter
December 12th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Lisa.. you enjoy your new machine and create beautiful quilts..
Sewelegant.. I also drive a Toyota and recently bought a new Singer Brilliance for 99 from Lidl. I don't care what anyone might think I am the one using it...

HandsOffItsMine
December 12th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Sorry Lisa that you were met with unkind words. I too get tired of some and become a stalker for awhile, lol

Congrats on your wonderful gift from your hubby! :) I think it's great that he loves you to know that it was time to give you something to fill a part of that empty nest syndrome.

Don't know if you do FaceBook but there are a bunch of great embroidery groups on there plus embroidery designers who have closest fan groups as well. Tons of help and mostly nice folks. Just because you have a Singer doesn't mean that you can't join a Brother group or vice versa. I have a Brother and a Husqvarna embroidery machine - then Brothers/Singers/Husqvarnas sewing machines. Heck if I win the Lotto or a long lost relative leaves me $$$, I'm getting a 10 needle embroidery machine. :D Haha

Anywhoooo, if you want to be invited to the FB groups just PM me your email address and I'll invite you.

Huggers, Ruby

MayinJerset
December 12th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Hope Lisa stops by and sees all the positive posts. Come on Lisa let us know you've heard us.

New York Sue
December 12th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I kind of had that experience a year or two back...
I was very new, and didn't do 'due diligence' I was looking at an upgrade to Mom's Singer Featherweight, and bought a 'new to me' Janome. No real upgrade on size, just bells and whistles. I regret that now...
On the other hand, I dislike 'brand snobs'.....
We can't all afford a $3,000 machine!!

Eriepatch
December 12th, 2014, 12:34 PM
When I got back into sewing I had no idea about machines and since I had a Singer for 40 years with
no problems, I bought a new Singer. No problems with it either but now I know about throat size
and other things. I wish I had found this forum before I bought. I have read some really nasty replies
to people from a few about Singer machines. Don't know why they feel the need to do that. I just ignore them
for the most part and you will learn to also. I think there are probably a lot more forum members
with Singers but they sure aren't going to tell anyone for fear of being "shamed".
Not everyone can spend a lot of money on machines. I am always happy when someone gets the machine
they have dreamed of but I'm happy to have what I have! Hang in there.

Carah
December 12th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Congrats on your new machine and a loving hubby that would think of something so perfect.

I'm sorry your feelings were hurt.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
December 12th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Please keep hanging out with us on the forum, and show us all the lovely things you make on your new machine!

songbird857
December 12th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Embquilt,
I'm sorry that you felt like that :( Although there were 2 comments stating they did not like the new Singers (and I certainly don't believe that was a personal affront to you, more a strong opinion), most of the comments were positive and helpful - I'd focus on that! How is your new baby running BTW?? :)

Juliet Taylor
December 12th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Dear, I'm sorry for what happened, I didn't notice and I'm sorry I was not there to help and cheer you up.

What I'm sure of is that... You have a lovely husband and a great family! I don't know a lot about machine brands but I know one thing for sure: Your husbands adores you and gives you gift for your passions and hobbies and that's the best thing ever!

I wish you a good health and happy holidays! If you need someone to talk to I'm here! Just write me :)

whippetmom
December 12th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Lisa;
I think your hubby buying you a new machine is fantastic. Who cares what machine or anything, if it sews real well, that is all that matters. I do not have the top of the line by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a ball with mine. If I worried about what people said about my stuff or me I would be put in a nuthouse, but as long as there are nice people out there to help that is all that matters. There will always be people that will SHAME you , as they did when I went to an embroidery class (I did not have the big machine and could not do all that was available), who cares. I have played with mine and have figured out all the bells and whistles and am happy as a clam. Do not let people get your goat, do not let them have power over you , it is not worth it, just enjoy life and look for the positive in people, it is there. There are some wonderful caring people on this forum (99.9%), if you need help they will be there for you with suggestions and positive ones at that !!!!

Cathy F
December 12th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Enjoy your new machine and don't let anyone rain on your parade! I have an embroidery machine and absolutely love it and am excited for you. Can't wait to see what you make.

GrammaBabs
December 12th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I Lisa... I love when the hubs encourage our hobby.... mine has always, as I his,,, we are retired now and he tells our friends.. "We sit to watch television and at the end of the night... there's this huge "piece of stuff"...LOL
I've had many machines and still have most of them.. I'm sure Jean will chime in with her Singer she brought to the retreat that was a real work horse.. I know gals with 8,000.00 machines that are mad with what they bought,, not happy, don't even read the manual and call it "too much"..Always work what you have to it's utmost,, if it's humming and your producing things... it's the perfect machine for you.. :) Enjoy the positive here and know their are many who just fewm when they read posts from the negative posters...hugs, GB

NanaB
December 12th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Lisa, I am so sorry that you have been hurt by comments made by someone on this forum. I have been a member for a few years, but I have limited my time on the forum in the past several months, so I missed your original post. I apologize for any of our 'sisters' and/or 'brothers' who have spoken out of turn. We are kin because of our love of fabric and sewing and quilting. I am disappointed that someone would be (what I lovingly call) a sewing machine snob and speak out in a hurtful manner. I again apologize. I have been blessed to be able to own (collect? hoard?) several machines. Most of them are Singer brand as that is what I grew up with. I have two others that are other brands. Each machine has its own place in my heart and in my craft. I am so happy that you have a new machine to enjoy, get to know, and experiment with. I hope that you will post pictures of your projects so that we can see what you are doing with this new machine. Congratulations! And don't let others steal your joy!!!!
Becki

Musical_Starling
December 12th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I've been MIA for a while so I totally missed the thread, but CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW BABY!! :D We always love our machines, especially new ones (or even new-to-me ones) and it's really a bummer when it feels like someone is raining on our parade. I have a Singer too, I have the Confidence Quilter (7469Q) and a few members have voiced a VERY strong dislike for my machine. But, I love her! Her name is Sally, and I have not had one single problem! Well, I should clarify, not one single problem that WASN'T user error lol Sometimes people just come across a lemon (or a friend of a friend who got a lemon) and they forever banish an entire brand based on it. It happens, we're all human and make rash judgments sometimes. But if you're happy and your new machine makes you happy, then parade away darling!

bakermom
December 12th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Sorry about that.
I have many friends and family that will only buy Singer, none of them have the complaints others seem to have. Me, I prefer Brother because of my experience with them. My mom, only Kenmore would do- I sewed on a Kenmore till DH bought a Brother for me as a gift, my loyalty changed but I kept my old Kenmore for my kids to learn on. Hope you have many years of happiness with your machine, the emb. can be very addicting.

quiltsRfun
December 12th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I you're happy with the machine that's all that matters. Sounds like a case of "foot in mouth" disease to me.

kaydee
December 12th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I saw those posts, and I have to admit they made me cringe. I wondered at the time if the posters hadn't read your post close enough to realize you weren't asking for advice. I admit that I frequently skim posts, and it would be possible for me to miss the point.

Perhaps some people see "Singer" and just react. I see "embroidery machine" and just sigh with envy! I wish I had one -- Singer, Pfaff, Brother, Bernina . . . I don't really care. I would just enjoy having one.

Congratulations on your machine!

Sylvia H
December 12th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I read the comments, on your original post, that upset you. I, too, found them harsh. I am not sure they were meant that way. Some people are just very blunt in their statements. I don't think they understand how what they say could be misconstrued, because if someone spoke to them just as bluntly, they would be okay with that. However, they did not realize that you were sharing a wonderful experience and you were not looking for critical evaluations.

I want to commend you for this additional post. You could have just gone away and not given the forum another chance. It takes courage to make the statement you did in this post. You really opened yourself up to more criticism. It is great that so many forum members are supporting you.

Try to put this behind you. You have a wonderful new machine. Share with us what you are doing with it.

EnumclawGramma
December 12th, 2014, 04:05 PM
I read the comments, on your original post, that upset you. I, too, found them harsh. I am not sure they were meant that way. Some people are just very blunt in their statements. I don't think they understand how what they say could be misconstrued, because if someone spoke to them just as bluntly, they would be okay with that. However, they did not realize that you were sharing a wonderful experience and you were not looking for critical evaluations.

I want to commend you for this additional post. You could have just gone away and not given the forum another chance. It takes courage to make the statement you did in this post. You really opened yourself up to more criticism. It is great that so many forum members are supporting you.

Try to put this behind you. You have a wonderful new machine. Share with us what you are doing with it.

Agree with all that was said above. I read the posts as well. For the record, I have a Singer, I love it. It's not an embroidery machine, but it has some pretty decorative stitches, and I LOVE it. It's never given me a lick of trouble and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it all over again.

AnnieBQuilter
December 12th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Lisa,
I'm sorry you were hurt by the comments. I think that often people commenting on social media say things that they wouldn't face to face. I feel that sometimes people forget that it really is another person they are making a comment/statement to and don't think about how the words may come across.

I hope you enjoy your new machine. It doesn't matter what the brand is as long as it gives you what you're looking for. I recently bought a new Janome after having my cheap little Kenmore for 20 years that didn't do much more than straight stitch and zigzag. Everyone gets what they can afford and if they are happy with it that is really all that matters. When our husbands are willing to support our habit, we are all very lucky. My husband went looking with me to several places and knowing me as he does, he helped me make my decision, but it was ultimately up to me.

Happy quilting"
Annie

shirleyknot
December 12th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Living on a limited income, I meet a lot of snobs. Machine snobs, fabric snobs, technique snobs, pattern snobs....who cares. LET them sour their lives with their attitudes. It does ME no harm. Hugs to you, dear. Make some NEW friends. Those weren't "friends".

kensington
December 12th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I don't think you should take personal what someone or two said concerning a product and using it. You did post and ask what people thought. We all have opinions about what we buy, use or recommend to others.

I'm sure that your machine didn't take it personally, the things that were said about Singer in general.

No comment was personally directed at you, or insulted you. This is much ado about nothing. IMHO. It would be different if someone had insulted you on a personal level.

Suzette
December 12th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I don't think you should take personal what someone or two said concerning a product and using it. You did post and ask what people thought. We all have opinions about what we buy, use or recommend to others.

I'm sure that your machine didn't take it personally, the things that were said about Singer in general.

No comment was personally directed at you, or insulted you. This is much ado about nothing. IMHO. It would be different if someone had insulted you on a personal level.

Actually, she was only asking about needle and bobbin advice for this machine from those who had one, not general, "what do you think of this machine" advice or input. And I think we should be careful not to tell others how they should feel.

While most of the posters to her thread were positive and excited for her, some simply were a bit harsh with their words. She has a need to feel reassured right now, not taken to task for her feelings. Let's all move forward and do just that - show Lisa that she is a valued, cared for member of this group. :icon_bigsmile:

RiverMomm
December 12th, 2014, 07:34 PM
I was taken aback at the first two responses too. Asking if you can use prewound bobbins is not asking for negative comments about the brand of machine you have. As rude as these post were, try to understand that we all have bad days. And sometimes those bad days end up in posts. :(

I have found myself backing away from the forum on and off over the years when things seem to go more negative than I would prefer. But in the end, the nice folks here have helped me become a better quilter and brightened my days. I love this place-it's like a family at Thanksgiving. Well, one aunt doesn't like Singers. Smile and keep passing the potatoes. It's not worth the hassle to engage in a debate over it.

Try to ignore those repeat negative posters or block them.

Alana
December 12th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Congrats on the new machine and hope it brings you much joy. I have a Brother embroidery but use my Singer all the time. Actually I have two Singers. One is 63 years old and still hums like a top. The other is just three years old and purrs like a kitten. Also have an old White, which isn't made anymore I don't think.
As for bobbins, my friend put a pre wound bobbin in her Singer and it gave her a lot of grief. I don't use them my self, but she got her machine fixed and is now sewing away like mad.
I didn't see the original post but I am assuming you were asking about prewound bobbins. As for the rude comments, unfortunately there are a couple here that are like that. I just block them from my posts and ignore them. I too have been accosted by them myself and because of it I now lurk and rarely post. This forum has so many wonderful and kind people on it. Don't let a few ignorant idiots spoil it for you. Most of us care and like to support and encourage each other and keep our snide opinions to ourselves. IMHO

easyquilts
December 12th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Congratulations ob your wonderful new toy! You have a very thoughtful husband....

I 'm so sorry some thoughtless people were hurtful to you... My feeling us that if you can't be supportive, you should not comment.

It really doesn't matter what brand of sewing machune we have.... What matters is the pleasure we get from creating beautiful quilts.

What matters even more, us that this forum be a place we can come to, and be confident that we will be supported, and that we need not worry about being shamed in any way.... But know that our efforts are appreciated.

After all.....we share a love of quilting, and we all have a passion for beautiful fabrics...
We love what we do....and love to share the results if our work, as well as whatever knowledge we might have.

No one should EVER be put down for anything quilt related... It is our job to encourage one another, and lift each other up.

Carrie J
Lisa, first off, Congratulations on your new machine ( I have a Singer, old one, but love it dearly) and also on your loving Hubby, he's a keeper! Second, public forums can sometimes rub folks the wrong way. Don't let it ruin your day, I've had to learn to overlook comments that when typewritten can seem, and sometimes are, brusque and somewhat hurtful. I can't afford the machine I'd love to have, does that make my Brother any less valuable or or efficient? Absolutely not! And yours isn't either. Sometimes we, as human beings, can be quick to type, but not think about the impact our comments may have. Don't let it sour your joy of a new machine, nor the Forum for that matter.

Midge
Lisa, I understand why you felt attacked with your original post, which was so full of your joy and excitement. It is hard when someone responds harshly to an expression of such happiness. So I don't agree that you are over-reacting. Everyone is entitled to their feelings, and others really don't have a right to be dismissive. I commend you for coming back to try to clear things up rather than just leaving the forum. I sincerely hope you can move beyond this and engage with like-minded people. It's just the nature of online communities that people might come across more harshly than they (hopefully) intend.
'

shirleyknot
December 12th, 2014, 08:36 PM

The choice of a tool like a sewing machine IS a personal thing, so it IS a personal insult. And knowing how it goes on internet forums, just because they didn't use her name doesn't mean it wasn't directed at her.

kensington
December 12th, 2014, 08:37 PM
She was NOT attacked... Singer was. NO ONE said anything about her. How can anyone take that as losing friends or something about them on a personal level. Maybe they didn't like singer... so what.. She has a new machine, it's great for her and she loves it. Isn't that all that matters?

kensington
December 12th, 2014, 08:40 PM
The choice of a tool like a sewing machine IS a personal thing, so it IS a personal insult. And knowing how it goes on internet forums, just because they didn't use her name doesn't mean it wasn't directed at her.

No it's not.. it's an object. AND she didn't pick it, her husband did. You don't like my couch? My carpet? My Janome? So what... It doesn't hurt my feelings or make me like you less in any way. My identity is not wrapped up in my sewing machine.

And, how does it make her feel as she has lost friends? Did they tell her that since she has a Singer they no longer like her?

Surely, she could have gone to them in a private message and told them she didn't like what they said. Why make a public thread to call them out and have everyone side against them? She has made it personal.

K. McEuen
December 12th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Short night, long days with jury duty and that comment came from my phone, which means that it is short and not real elaborate since I can't see much more than one line when I'm commenting with it. I certainly did not mean for you to take anything I said as a personal attack. It was more a matter of opinion and the fact that I still pull out my owners manual on a machine I've had about 25 years. A salesperson or a forum member can give you their opinion on things, yet they might not be correct, as it is just an opinion, but the owner's manual is more like the Bible for your machine and should be able to give you the best answer available in most cases.

I apologize for putting a damper on your day and wish you the best with your new machine. It seems that in the past two or three years that those with newer Singers are a lot happier with them than they had been for the previous 15 years or so.

Sylvia H
December 12th, 2014, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=Midge;645736]....... Everyone is entitled to their feelings, and others really don't have a right to be dismissive. ....

This is the heart of this thread. It is not for any of us to make a judgement on whether or not someone else's feelings are justified. There is no justification for feelings - they just are. I hope we can all understand this. Everyone has a right to their feelings, and it behooves us to try our best to understand those feelings. I accept Lisa's feelings. I may not have felt the same way, but these are her feelings, not mine. I accept that someone else might disagree. I do not accept that a judgement is made that says Lisa should not feel a certain way. Or a judgement that says there is no reason to feel as she does. You don't understand why she feels this way? Then recognize that you don't understand, ask for more information, and if you still don't understand, at least respect those feelings and don't dismiss them.

It is only through acceptance (and, hopefully, understanding) of others feelings/beliefs that we can live in harmony. And, perhaps, it is more about respect than acceptance?

kensington
December 12th, 2014, 11:04 PM
I do not accept that one member who didn't like the way someone said something concerning a "Product"... can make a thread to out them and publically point fingers at them.

I do not accept it Sam I am.

shirleyknot
December 12th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Short night, long days with jury duty and that comment came from my phone, which means that it is short and not real elaborate since I can't see much more than one line when I'm commenting with it. I certainly did not mean for you to take anything I said as a personal attack. It was more a matter of opinion and the fact that I still pull out my owners manual on a machine I've had about 25 years. A salesperson or a forum member can give you their opinion on things, yet they might not be correct, as it is just an opinion, but the owner's manual is more like the Bible for your machine and should be able to give you the best answer available in most cases.

I apologize for putting a damper on your day and wish you the best with your new machine. It seems that in the past two or three years that those with newer Singers are a lot happier with them than they had been for the previous 15 years or so.

I am STILL very happy with my 1983 Singer 2010. Got about a million miles on her too.

auntiemern
December 12th, 2014, 11:44 PM
Wow!!!! I get sick, don't look at the forum much for a few days, and everything is in an uproar. Congrats on the new machine, and a hubby that loves you enough to get you one. Take a chill pill folks....it is to close to Christmas to get snippy. Peace and love to all. And Lisa, as long as you love it...that is really all that matters.

jjkaiser
December 13th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Hi Lisa, I am sorry you were hurt or offended by comments here. I did not have time to read each post, but wow, it seems like feathers were ruffled big time. I don't quite get it.

I think everyone on the forum sincerely tries to help each other out, giving generously of their time explaining things and their advice. Few people are snarky.For that I am thankful. Try to let go of the negative remarks. Instead, remember how much help you have gotten here instead.

tamsterg7
December 13th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Lisa - congratulations on your new toy! I am sure you are going to enjoy every minute you spend together and make some awesome quilts (and lot's of other beauties with the embroidery part too). I have noticed a lot of opinions lately and some take me back a bit when I read them. Sometimes things come across different in print then when heard from the mouth, and other times, you just have to 'consider the source' as my Mom would say - and let it roll off your back. Lots of good hearted people here, so please continue to share and enjoy those.

LizTheScot
December 13th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Lisa
Thank you SO much for being brave enough and taking the time to let us, your quilting family, know that you were hurt. It's not an easy thing to do but it's an important thing to do. I hope everyone's warm words and virtual hugs have soothed you and that you'll continue to share with us - because I'm really looking forward to seeing what you get up to with your new toy!
Liz

bscuzz
December 13th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Lisa, reading your post made me feel sad for you and sorry you were hurt but proud you chose to test the waters again. It makes me also consider if I've made comments that could cause hurt feelings, I sure hope not! We're all here for our particular needs, mostly for sharing quilting advice; for me it's to seek it, for many other talented folks, it's to give it - and we all probably learn from it. What's also an added benefit is the humor expressed by and between some very intuitive funny folks here. I would hate for you to miss all of the camaraderie shared here. I quilt thru the day looking forward to checking out what's happening on the Forum - and asking questions that come up during my quilting day!! So, Lisa, hang tough and enjoy the folks on the Forum! BTW, your DH is a real keeper!! "B" :icon_happy:

stationarymom
December 13th, 2014, 02:28 AM
I'm also sorry that you feel like people were not nice to you or happy for you.I agree it should not be about name brands here and what should matter is the kind of experience you are having.I hope you and your new machine make lots of beautiful new projects together.

share60
December 13th, 2014, 03:20 AM
Seasons Greetings everyone May I add my bit THANK YOU to each and everyone of you who have advised me ,stated your opinions clearly ,YOUR KINDNESS ENCOURAGEMENT for which I am so grateful Thank you
XXXX
Shareen

Suzette
December 13th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Wow!!!! I get sick, don't look at the forum much for a few days, and everything is in an uproar. Congrats on the new machine, and a hubby that loves you enough to get you one. Take a chill pill folks....it is to close to Christmas to get snippy. Peace and love to all. And Lisa, as long as you love it...that is really all that matters.

No uproar. No sense making a mountain out of a molehill here. But someone's feelings were hurt, she came here to express that hurt in a mature and open way and most of us are attempting to reassure her. I think that is very much in keeping with the Christmas spirit. At least for most of us and our responses to Lisa.

shirleyknot
December 13th, 2014, 09:38 AM
I do not accept that one member who didn't like the way someone said something concerning a "Product"... can make a thread to out them and publically point fingers at them.

I do not accept it Sam I am.

Did I miss something? When did this become about you?

Jean Sewing Machine
December 13th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Before this gets any more contentious, can we just let this drop? FROM AN MODERATOR OF THE FORUM!

It's the season of PEACE! Let's keep it peaceful.

Embquilt
December 13th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Thank you very much for the support and kindness offered. I didn't respond sooner as I was spending the day at my favorite quilt shop serging away. I've had my serger for ten years and never became "friends" with it until now. I successfully served fleece with pretty wolly nylon - simple task to some but a grand achievement t for me! Then a friend and her daughter came to dinner so I had a pretty gratifying day.

Once again, Thank you very much

ceiliam
December 14th, 2014, 04:31 AM
I am sorry for the reactions you got. I have used many machines and I think you work with what you like and can afford. I learned to sew on featherweight . My mom still has it I borrowed it and cleaned it and oiled it and sewed a quilt top on it. Still after all these years has a beautiful stich ( just a little slower speed) I am a pedal to the metal sewer. Congrats on your new machine enjoy it to heck with everyones likes or dislikes you are happy with your machine and excited .

Over40momma
December 14th, 2014, 08:36 AM
I think what your hubby did was awesome and don't fret about opinions, as long as you love it and it does what you want, it is all that truly matters. Enjoy it and I can't wait to see your creations on it sweetie. :icon_tup:
I inherited a Singer 6268 and the embroidery part doesn't work (ok by me as not my forte) but I really love it. Mostly sentimental as it belonged to my next oldest sister.......but it works its little heart out for me. My own machine I got at Walmart....it's a White that has only 2 stitches (straight and zigzag) and I had repaired family clothing on that for years. Think I paid $48.00 for it and it still works great.

shirleyknot
December 14th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I have a 1983 Singer 2010 that I have used hard, making my clothes, my kids' clothes and a LOT of alterations professionally. In other words, a LOT of miles on that old machine. It's still going, with a minimum of fuss. Value for the money. Gotta love it.

Suzette
December 14th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Thank you very much for the support and kindness offered. I didn't respond sooner as I was spending the day at my favorite quilt shop serging away. I've had my serger for ten years and never became "friends" with it until now. I successfully served fleece with pretty wolly nylon - simple task to some but a grand achievement t for me! Then a friend and her daughter came to dinner so I had a pretty gratifying day.

Once again, Thank you very much

Ahh, that's my favorite kind of day -- spent at the quilt shop! :icon_bigsmile: Glad you had a nice day with your loved ones.

aliaslaceygreen
December 14th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Ignore the haters!!! While a certain amount of your work is influenced by your tools, the majority is based on your skills.
If you don't believe me, look at all the people with big Dslr cameras walking around taking awful photos, never going off full auto---composition in photography is as important as the price of the camera!!!

mommadeb
December 15th, 2014, 05:36 PM
So sorry. I don't know anything about embroidery machines so I didn't comment either. I too have blocked people that are seemingly always negative and like to stir things up. Keep sharing. We enjoy it.:icon_hug:

LRM
December 16th, 2014, 12:11 AM
I'm sorry the machine police ruined your happy news. I'm struck by the sweetness of your husband's gesture. I too am a new empty nester and it is such a difficult time to move to the next chapter. A new machine at the beginning of motherhood and a new machine at the end is so poetic. Have fun with your new machine. My husband encouraged me to get a new one and it is on its way! I hope you think of your successful child-rearing every time you use it.

lovemyavy
December 23rd, 2014, 12:35 PM
I agree with Suzette. I, too, saw the posts and felt sorry that people would 'dis' your machine. Just enjoy it!! I have been thinking about an embroidery machine but haven't broken the 'news' to hubby yet! lol

Sharyn J
December 23rd, 2014, 09:04 PM
I missed the original post and sorry that someone had negative feed. They probably didn't mean it on a personal level.....just that everyone has their opinions. To be honest, I am always excited when I learn that a member bought a new machine. It doesn't matter if it was $69.95 or $6,900. There's nothing like the excitement, anticipation, and mental planning when opening that box for the first time. I'm like a little kid in a candy store, and it doesn't even matter if it's MY machine or someone elses! I enjoy the rush!

Enjoy your new machine, make many quilts and share your excitement.

Grandma G
December 23rd, 2014, 09:38 PM
I missed this thread when it was first posted. I'm sorry, Lisa, that someone rained on your parade. I know I try not to make remarks that may be taken the wrong way and I'm sure there have been one or two people who have taken my words that way. Often you cannot tell someone's tone of voice by the printed word. You have to take what some people say with a grain of salt, others with the whole box.

Enjoy your machine and make lots of fun stuff. We are all ready to cheer you on and can't wait to see the wonderful, fun things you will be making!!