PDA

View Full Version : Meet Porter

Madeforyouinma11
December 11th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Hubby got me a new puppy for my birthday. We adopted him and went to pick him up on Saturday night.
His name was Fenway but since we are not diehard Red Sox fans, we decided to change his name. We came up with Porter because it was different and all he does is clean up the little bits of biscuits that Benny leaves behind.
He will be 12 weeks tomorrow and although he was listed as a dachshund mix, the vet seems to think there is no mix, just dachshund. He tips the scales at a whopping 5.5lbs. We wanted a playmate for Benny but did not want another large breed dog. If anyone here has or have had dachshunds, any and all advice, tips, and tricks are welcome. He is a real cuddlebug and we love him.

Angelia
December 11th, 2014, 01:00 PM
He's adorable!

My cat who cleans up the little left-behind bits is nicknamed Hoover! :)

Amarillo19
December 11th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I've never had dachshunds but my son has a miniature one. He's the cutest thing in the world but gets away with murder because he's so cute. He lives with two big dogs and rules the roost. He's the top dog and lets everyone know it.

lmanna
December 11th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Super cute ! No experience with dachshunds here. I'm a medium-large breed of dog kind of gal.

Momama
December 11th, 2014, 01:31 PM
He is soo adorable !

songbird857
December 11th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Soooooooo cute!

Liberty
December 11th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Such a cutie! :)

Madeforyouinma11
December 11th, 2014, 01:52 PM
He's adorable!

My cat who cleans up the little left-behind bits is nicknamed Hoover! :)

We also thought about Hoover and Dyson..lol

Sandy Navas
December 11th, 2014, 02:04 PM
He is way too cute. Never had one but friends gave theirs an old sock with a knot tied in it. That pup would suck on the sock and when he wanted to play he'd come and drop the sloppy mess right in your lap.

How is Benny loving his new little irritation? Hope they are best of buddies.

dwil23
December 11th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Too cute!

Lots of experience with dachshunds - we have four between DD and me. They are one of the sweetest breeds there are. They are also very stubborn, but being so small that's really not an issue. Ours are barkers, but not all are. My one word of caution is to TRY to keep them from jumping on and off the furniture. (This, of course, is easier said than done) With their long backs, they injure their spines doing this. We have one that has undergone acupuncture and laser treatments to help her walk again after slipping and falling coming out of her crate. Being scent hounds, they also "follow their nose" so make sure they are not left unattended outside or they will be gone.

Congrats on the little sweetie!

p.s. I agree with the vet. From the picture he looks like a purebred.

whippetmom
December 11th, 2014, 03:05 PM
He is absolutely adorable. I had one just like him, miniature named Willie. Word of caution, if you can please teach him no to bark now before it is too late, they bark like crazy. We have whippets now and greyhounds before, so we enjoy the No Barking at all now, I guess I never realized how much Willie and the others before him barked. The recommendation regarding the jumping is a good one, ours had back surgery at 51/2, but lived to be 15 1/2, so money well spent in my opinion. Enjoy him, he is a cutie.

bubba
December 11th, 2014, 03:30 PM
He is oh, so very cute! That was our downfall too! Oscar is a miniature and has a mind of his own! It took us about four years before he would sit and then he isn't really sitting at all! His back end is lower than his front end but not on the ground, because you know, it could be hot/cold/wet, or I'm just so cute I don't have to!!!

This year he has discovered the heating register in the kitchen!!

FabStripper
December 11th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I had a purebread Doxie a while back and yours looks just like mine did. He photographs very well - such a regal looking photo. So cute. I agree, take care of his back and nip the barking if he starts. They are great dogs and you'll have years of fun with him! Happy belated birthday.

K. McEuen
December 11th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I've had two doxies, both different personalities. Porter looks like my Spike did. I used to tell people not to try to pet him if I was holding him because he was very protective of me and would bite them. He was stubborn, not too barky unless you were near his property and also ruled the roost here over the big dog. He loved sleeping under the covers. My other one was a red female and she was the sweetest dog I ever met.

Carrie J
December 11th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Cil, am a total lover of Dachsies, and Porter sure looks purebred to me. They are the biggest hoots (right along with Boston's) on the face of the planet. They are walking 10 ft tall, 500 lb dogs...........can charm/sucker you like no other, LOL! And being originally bred to hunt badger, yeah, they usually rule! Major AWWWW from me! :)

Amy R
December 11th, 2014, 04:58 PM
He is so cute, and I love his new name! Biggest medical concern are their backs! I'm sure the vet will fill you in on all of that. Just don't let him get too chubby.
What an awesome birthday gift!

irishrn
December 11th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Happy Birthday and congrats on your new puppy! He is so cute!!
Enjoy him! Like his name too!!

cyndiofthevortex
December 11th, 2014, 05:33 PM
He is just too cute! I hope you all have lots of happy years together.

Hulamoon
December 11th, 2014, 05:33 PM
We had a minature doxie when I was little. She was tan. Sweetest little thing. My mom had a pom at the same time and she told me whatever you do don't let her outside. Next thing it was mommy the dogs are stuck together. The hose came out with a new puppy. lol

Divine Daisy
December 11th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwww so lovely!

Eriepatch
December 11th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I agree with dwil23. Back issues are something to watch out for. Other than that you will enjoy him so much!

alliek
December 11th, 2014, 10:04 PM
He is so pretty! Sure looks like a purebred from the pics. I agree with Donna, be careful about the jumping part because of their backs. Also the breed likes to dig. Not all, but some can also try to dig in carpets, so even if he's a cute little guy, try to discourage this if you see it. You will love him, dachshunds are characters!

laura44
December 11th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I have one. They are very loyal and very protective. Teach it not to bark
at everything! Also mine is having back troubles now, try to prevent
any future problems. Watch its weight. They love to get under blankets
and to lay near a heat source.

Simply Quilting
December 12th, 2014, 02:03 AM
He looks so sweet. Agree to watch for back and weight issues. Also be careful about children picking him up as that is how some dogs have had their backs injured.

Monique
December 12th, 2014, 07:51 AM
I liked his name (Fenway). Congratulations on the new puppy.

CarolynK
December 12th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Adorable! I just want to hug them both!

Blondie
December 12th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Oh Cil! You are just gonna LOVE having a doxie. I had a pair that I bred a few times many years ago. They are a loving, intelligent breed. My DD has one = the color of your new baby, and my Sis has one.
I agree with your vet - he looks all daucshund ; betcha he will become your snuggle buddy in no time. They love to burrow under blankets, very playful. Their eyes melt you.
Oh, you make me want another poochie like this. Big hugs, sweetie.

\
Hubby got me a new puppy for my birthday. We adopted him and went to pick him up on Saturday night.
His name was Fenway but since we are not diehard Red Sox fans, we decided to change his name. We came up with Porter because it was different and all he does is clean up the little bits of biscuits that Benny leaves behind.
He will be 12 weeks tomorrow and although he was listed as a dachshund mix, the vet seems to think there is no mix, just dachshund. He tips the scales at a whopping 5.5lbs. We wanted a playmate for Benny but did not want another large breed dog. If anyone here has or have had dachshunds, any and all advice, tips, and tricks are welcome. He is a real cuddlebug and we love him.

pcbatiks
December 12th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Oh Cil..........I remember the seeing the picture now..........sorry I forgot yesterday.........short attention span.

Porter is too cute. What a sweet little face.........give him a hug from me. He is adorable! :)

Cathy F
December 12th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Congratulations on the new addition to your family, he sure is a cutie!

Madeforyouinma11
December 12th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Thank you everyone for the tips and advice. I knew about the back issues so furniture is a no no for sure. I will also make sure to keep him at a good weight so that is not an issue.
He loves to dig ( in the house) so we are working on that and he loves to cuddle and snuggle. Right now he only barks when he is playing with Benny but settles down when they are done. Will keep an eye on that issue as well.
Thank you again, you've all been a great help!