PDA

View Full Version : Thursdays can be tricky

Blondie
December 11th, 2014, 08:12 AM

Welcome to Thursday, folksies!

Finally got a decent night sleep and I feel like a new Blondie. The cold is a thing in the past! Hurrah. No more big head, coughing, it's a festivus for the rest of us miracle! I have been thanking the Lord for catching it in time with herbals and otc cold tabs. Tonite my husband shall eat a decent dinner.

DD dropped by for a surprise visit yesterday . She tried to bully me into going to do some shopping with her but once she saw my appearance, the giggling and snorting that ensued had us both realize that I never want her to be my caregiver! She has declared for years that she would put my hair in pigtails, red lipstick on my mouth and cheeks and parade me around town. You know, I think she just might! I am glad she took a break from cramming for her final exams and got some Sarah time in. I gave her an old nativity set from her childhood, knowing she didn't have one. She was very excited to pull out the little Precious Moments figures. good times and memories.

Since I am back to myself, it is off to work for me today. I was fretting about that; too close to the holidays to miss any business. I also was requested to paint the bottom of an old wash tub that is to be hung on an outside wall for a friend's lake home. No rush, thank goodness, so my mind is ruminating on how and what to paint. When asked if I had any prim ornaments made and ready to sell, I laughed and laughed. That was a knee slapper. I did good to get a few made for the MSQC tree.

Have a great day! Blessings, prayers, hugs and smiles to everyone.

RFREE
December 11th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Good morning everybody!

GlendaM
December 11th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Good morning, glad you are feeling better! Hope you have a blessed day! :)

Monique
December 11th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Good morning everyone. Yes today is going to be tricky. We got a good dumping of snow yesterday and thankfully my plow man was already in and plowed at the end of the drive so I can get out and go to work.

I had a busy day yesterday, between work, making sandwiches and a funeral. Then last night I decided that since hubby was working, it would be a good time to get into the bowels of the closet and start pulling out Christmas decorations. I did find a few treasures. I have two totes full of my mom's nighties, all flannel. I am wanting to put them all into a quilt (eventually). Yesterday marked the 7th anniversary of her death and it just might be time to do something with those. As I was fondling each one and talking to her at the same time, I did not cry for once, so yes, it may be time.

Another work day today and maybe TODAY will be the day to decorate the tree? Maybe? Now that I have all the stuff out.

Well, I must skidadle off. Have a great day everyone.

Madeforyouinma11
December 11th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Good morning everyone
Blondie, I am sitting here laughing out loud and had to share your post with hubby. He too has convinced my daughters that it would be a good idea to put my hair in pigtails and red lipstick and wheel me around in a wheelchair. He threatens to put my pigtails a little off center....lol I thought I was the only one with crazy loved ones.. :)
Today will be decorating my tree and the rest of my decorating, then some cleaning. Julia is coming over today so that will be fun. Our new puppy, Porter is doing very well. He is a fiesty little thing, but lots of fun.
I hope everyone has a great day!

quiltingtrish
December 11th, 2014, 08:57 AM
So good to hear you are feeling better Blondie.
A 2 hour delay here for us with some snow falling so thought I'd pop on here now and perhaps stay off it later.
Everyone have a safe day out there today.

Grandma Nan
December 11th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Happy Thursday all.

Gee another week almost gone. I am so happy you are feeling better Blondie.

As for me today; binding- you will hear this mantra for the next few days from me. Actually I may not even be on the forum on the weekend with having the 5 grand kiddles here. I love having them but you can expect to hear some complaints of being tired next week (just givin' you the heads up). Our Jr. Kindergarten guy, Hudson, is having his Christmas concert on Monday so grandma and pa are taking him and his little brother, Mason (18 months) home to Petawawa on Sunday and we'll stay over for the event. They are so cute.

Well binding can only be so exciting and I figure this time of year you really don't care whether or not I got a knot in my thread or that I cant get my needle threaded. Be sure I'll be lurking from time to time when I take a break.

Have a great Thursday and SMILE.

Iris Girl
December 11th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Good morning all. Glad your feeling better Blondie. We had sleet/freezing rain/snow overnight. Son did not go to work as he leaves at 4am and fishtailed to the main road and then a police car went up the hill sirens blasting. He took that as a bad omen turned around and came home. Hubby left 2 hours later and called to say roads are ok, guess i'll be going. Gonna be touchy as I have hubbys small car not used to it at all. Mine will come home tomorrow ( diagnosis: blown head gasket , not worth repairing on a 25 year old car) So I will drive it as is watching the temp levels till she goes no more. Can't afford a replacement till hubbys is paid off in sept. Still playing catch up from him being on unemployment for 2 years. Ugh such is life. Almost done quilting on the labyrinth quilt my son wants.
Not feeling very much holiday spirit glad I got my small amount of shopping done. Thinking about not putting up my tiny tree as I am not in the mood.
Hugs to all that need them, Have a great day all.

Mpyles
December 11th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Good morning all! Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Ginny B
December 11th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Yay! Glad you are feeling better Blondie. My sister has been fighting off this cold thing that's going around and she is finally feeling more like herself again. Amazing how much better you feel after a good nights sleep. And just in time for her to go to the dentist today.

Day 2 of the new morning schedule. I got some Christmas presents wrapped for tonight's dinner with some friends, 2 loads of laundry done and a bit of work on a tablerunner. Now it's time to get myself together for work. Got to allow myself some time to clean the car of since we got a dusting of snow .

Have a wonderful Thursday. Hope it's not too tricky.

HandsomeRyan
December 11th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Howdy all!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0938_zpspshc8wgy.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0938_zpspshc8wgy.jpg.html)

Me and Wiggles are on our second cold of the year already. :( Mom never gets sick but me and little man are both coughing and snotting up a storm here.

He is ridiculously cute. He crawls with perfect form (none of that army crawl/dragging the back half that some babies do) and he is pulling up on anything he can reach. He learned to clap and then promptly learned that watching him clap melts mom and dad's hearts so now whenever he is doing something he isn't supposed to do (pulling the lamp cord) he stops and claps. :)

I did a little Christmas shopping for him. He's getting a couple Vtech animals to go with the playset his grandparents got him. I also got him a starter camel. My wife and I stopped by a place that sells Christmas decorations many years ago and there was a sign that one of the lighted nativity scenes included a "starter camel" and you could presumably purchase more advanced camels to upgrade your set. This tickled both of us and now ever Christmas we joke about "starter camels". Since this is Sawyer's first Christmas he is getting a starter camel.

I also bought a menorah. I'm not Jewish but I think the story and symbolism behind Hanukkah is beautiful and I want to raise my son to be knowledgeable about and respectful of other religions even if he does not subscribe to the belief. I was a little embarrassed that as an almost 30 year old I didn't really know anything about it other than "it lasts 8 days" and something about oil. As I started researching it, I really enjoyed learning the background and what it was really about. Part of it is standing up for your religious beliefs. I think that is something that can be broadly applied regardless of what those beliefs are. So anyway- we now have a Christmas tree and a menorah decorating our house.

I still have no idea what to get Mrs. HandsomeRyan for Christmas? Her birthday was the end of November and she already got jewelry from little man, as well as gift certificates for nails and spa treatments. She doesn't really have any hobbies I can draw inspiration from and she already owns more perfume and lotions than she'll use in a lifetime. I have no idea what to get her? Maybe I'll promise her some sort of elaborate date night including a sitter as we have only been on two baby-less dates in the last 10 months. PM me if you have other ideas!

I hope everyone is having a great day and happy quilting!

ravelim
December 11th, 2014, 10:59 AM
What a handsome young man you have there. Enjoy each and every day because they go too fast. I so enjoyed my children even when I became upset with them.

Glad you're better, Blondie.

Almost done FMQing last Christmas quilt.

Better get back to doing something.

Prayers and hugs for all.

Carrie J
December 11th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Good Morning All! Blondie glad you're feeling better! Round two of attempting to finish a Dr's appt today. Coffee is making, and made it thru the cuddle cloth last night, turned out great, and more binding today! Looks like another cloudy day, so good for sewing. Hugs and blessings to all, especially those that need them!

Sandy Navas
December 11th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Good morning everyone
Blondie, I am sitting here laughing out loud and had to share your post with hubby. He too has convinced my daughters that it would be a good idea to put my hair in pigtails and red lipstick and wheel me around in a wheelchair. He threatens to put my pigtails a little off center....lol I thought I was the only one with crazy loved ones.. :)
Today will be decorating my tree and the rest of my decorating, then some cleaning. Julia is coming over today so that will be fun. Our new puppy, Porter is doing very well. He is a fiesty little thing, but lots of fun.
I hope everyone has a great day!

You changed his name??????

MayinJerset
December 11th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Miss Blondie, whether or not you're wheeled around town in pigtails and red lipstick, you need to rest up and get rid of your awful cold. Have another cup of coffee because 94603

Snow on the ground this morning but we should be fine going 1 mile or so to friend's house this afternoon for our annual Christmas lunch. UPS said their Christmas gift, an evergreen centerpiece, will be delivered today and I hope it is delivered before we get there. We began exchanging small handmade or baked family gifts about 35 years ago. Now that all of our kids have their own families and homes we gift each other items that we can enjoy for the holidays and then dispose of like evergreens or baked goods. Speaking of baked goods I never did make the pumpkin cranberry bread yesterday so I better get to it this morning. Been so busy with Christmas decorating and shopping I've neglected laundry so while the breads bake I'll have the washing machine and dryer going full blast.

Oh Ryan, That boy of yours is so adorable and always with a smile for us. Thanks for brightening up our days with your photos.

Sandy Navas
December 11th, 2014, 11:43 AM

Guess what I'm doing today?

Took about two dozen blankets to the homeless shelter yesterday. What a good feeling, especially when one of the guys who helped unload them said he really needed a bit of warmth. Found an Adopt-a-Family who needs some special comfort. Does the heart good to give to others.

Al's going to be quilting a special quilt for me today - that man needs to meet the Quilt Police face to face some day (not until he finishes this quilt though).

On and on, good thoughts, prayers, comforting words, and . . . wisdom. It's time to climb back in my box.

pcbatiks
December 11th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Happy Festivus for the Rest of Us to you too, Blondie! :icon_rofl: Glad you are feeling better.

Cil.......I must have missed a post.......when did you get a puppy & what kind? :) Do you have a picture of the cute pup?

Today we are ordering new flooring for the kitchen, sm. hallway & utility room. Hate spending money on things like that.......what if I "need" more fabric?!? :D

We finally got the tree up and decorated.....just need to set a few other things out. I was thinking of some of my forum friends while we were decorating......and how happy & fortunate I am to be part of this quilt forum. I have several special ornaments that were sent to me by quilty friends........from Cil, Barb & Leonie (winniesfriend). The ornaments look great on our tree! :icon_hug: I am going to try and finish shopping today.........unless someone wants to finish the shopping for me. :D Guess I better plan to take care of it myself.

Hope you all have a great day.......sending prayers & hugs to those in need.

songbird857
December 11th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Morning all!
Wow, really late start for me - I slept til almost 9 - must have needed it because the last few days have been up at 5:30 or so. Hubby didn't wake me so I must have really been out!
Blondie - glad you're feeling better.
Ryan - your little guy is the cutest! As far as MrsHandsomeRyan - it can be tough if they don't have a hobby (my better half doesn't either- he used to bike and a few other things, not so much these days) - has she ever mentioned a 'hobby' she would like to try?? Maybe a gift certificate for a class? (painting, sculpture, drawing, skeet shooting ;)...)
Sounds like most people are getting ready for Christmas - do what you can and don't feel guilty for what you can't :)
Have a great day!
...Pam - just caught your tag line - ;) made me laugh...

laura44
December 11th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Good morning all. Glad you are doing well Blondie.
Ryan, Wiggles is the cutest little guy ever. Cheers
me up everytime I see his adorable face!
Been up most of the night listening to the
wind and the rain blowing. The storm is so bad that they closed
all the public schools in the surrounding counties. Have my
candles and flashlights ready. Worst storm in many years.
Thursday is also my volunteer day in the city. Husband wants
me to stay home but we feed about 3,000 homeless people a
day and today they will for sure want to get out of the rain.
I guess I won't melt, a little rain won't hurt me.
Everyone have a great day.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 11th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Good morning all! Glad Blondie is feeling better, and that kid of Ryan's sure will be following his father's footsteps to win the HANDSOME title!

I've had three rather sleepless nights this week, a couple spent sewing and some spent reading. First it was "Unbroken" then I just finished "Wild", they were both great reads, true narratives of life journeys taken by the subjects. Both books are made into movies, which I intend to see. Then I need to finish a quilt for the daughter of a friend, and get going on a quilt for my daughter hopefully to get finished by Christmas. I've been collecting fabrics for this quilt for a year, and I cut the pieces for the blocks yesterday. Hopefully, I'll have enough to finish it. I'm using two lines from Michele D' Amore ( is this designer a man or a woman?), Sun Kissed and Moon Struck, they blend together perfectly in color and style. Love these lines! Using a pattern from Benartex for the quilt.

Hope you all have a good day, and if you are snow bound, hope you can get through it unscathed.

Angelia
December 11th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Good heavens--Wiggles looks just like Ryan!

Got a pile of finals to grade, and final grades to figure and post--but then, I'M DONE!!! :) So ready for a break.

Positive vibes to all.

Sandy Navas
December 11th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Good heavens--Wiggles looks just like Ryan!

Got a pile of finals to grade, and final grades to figure and post--but then, I'M DONE!!! :) So ready for a break.

Positive vibes to all.

Wiggles does have a wee bit more hair . . .

toggpine
December 11th, 2014, 03:22 PM
And that's why Sandy won't get off the naughty list!

We lost Rhododendron yesterday. Something went horribly wrong with her pregnancy. I'm thinking it may have been ectopic. Even though there are others out in the barn, she will be missed. She was a sweet-tempered girl and a good milker.

We are expecting a wallop from the Pineapple Express this afternoon, so I'm off to get the linens washed and tuck into some sewing. Mom's coming out on Sunday, so I should probably do a bit of tiding up while I'm at it.

You all have good day and spread some smiles around!
Hugs, Cathy

Amy R
December 11th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about Rhododendron. What a shame :(
Wiggles is adorable! Oh, to be a happy baby again!

Looking very forward to the parents coming in for Christmas, though am surprised they are leaving next Thursday to head up early!!!! Mama's quilt will be the focus until it's done. I believe I can make it on time...
Not sure if they're staying with us or at a hotel. Depends on how brave they are with boiling water for bath time :O

The washer repair guy came, and after some testing came to the conclusion that since there's no hot water going to it, it will not fill up and will stop itself. (even when just cold is chosen) I am going to try to trick it by adding some water into the basin before starting it.
Going back to the pioneer days ladies!!
This weekend we should have the step girls. Haven't seen them in several weeks.
Realized last night that Christmas is only 2 weeks away. Yikes!!

Prayers and hugs to all. Thank you all for the joy you bring to my life in friendship and support. <3

whippetmom
December 11th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Cathy;
So sorry to hear about Rhododendron, it is hard to lose any animal, no matter how many you have. Stay safe and hope all the animals are safe and sound. Sandy is loving being on the naughty list me thinks.

Sandy Navas
December 11th, 2014, 04:18 PM

See, it's official.