PDA

View Full Version : Strap Down the Night Owl Tree!

toggpine
December 11th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Apparently we are to expect the next blast from the Pineapple express sometime tomorrow afternoon. They are warning of high winds and possible power outages. So I was scooting around here today trying to make sure all of the candle holders were clean and had a candle in them. Then I noticed the chimneys of the oil lamps. Uck!
Then I decided I had better get most of the laundry done, and the floor could use a swipe with the vacuum. So, Now if we do loose power we can sit on the living room floor without being impaled by fir needles and we'll be able to see the board games and cards.

Tomorrow I'll probably bake off the last of the gingerbread dough for afterschool treats. Yum!

Which brings me to the questions for the night.

1. Are you ready for a power outage? Do you make sure you have a book, hand sewing, or some other ting to help you pass the evening hours? Do you have the batteries for the radio? Is the phone charged or do you have a 'dumb' phone that plugs straight into the phone jack so you have phone service in a power outage?

2. (This is a much more pleasant one!) What is your favorite cookie to have at the holidays? I know we only seem to make certain ones at certain holidays.
I'm fond of gingerbread cookies, and the sour cream roll out cookies my aunt used to make.

We'll I'm off to make sure the owlet is F I N A L LY going to go to sleep. She's supposedly been there for an hour and a half, but she popped out here about 10 minutes ago with the "I can't sleep" thing. Ugh. She is going to require dynamite to get her out of bed in the morning.

May you all find a comfy branch and have visions of Christmas cookies dancing in your heads!

pcbatiks
December 11th, 2014, 04:25 AM
Hi Cathy..........I'm a night owl ready to go to sleep. I've been up looking online pricing Nintendo 64's and games..........hubby has it on his Christmas list. I stayed up too long and I need to go shopping tomorrow............hopefully to finish up with gifts.

Our favorite Christmas cookies are chocolate with peanut butter chips. I need to make about 3 different kinds of cookies and mail some to our son for Christmas.

Hope your power doesn't go out. We don't have outages very often. The last long outage was after Hurricane Rita........out for days & days. We also had a rare ice storm in the 90's......listening to branches cracking and breaking from the weight of the ice is not a comforting sound during the night.

Hope you don't need the dynamite in the morning. :)

GuitarGramma
December 11th, 2014, 04:44 AM
The storm hasn't hit yet in Northern California. We're supposed to be tucked into our homes while winds blow and rain pelts. But there's not even a slight breeze, let alone gale force winds. California needs the rain and the weather forecasters are losing credibility. I hope everyone stays safe.

MayinJerset
December 11th, 2014, 04:54 AM
It's almost 3am Thursday. Long day and fell asleep watching TV around 10 so I'm up for a long while now.

Cathy, Good idea for all of us to make sure we are ready for power outages or being kept indoors because of big storms. I've been stocking up on canned soups, crackers, coffee, tea, box or two of milk, goodies, stick matches and one of those grill lighters. We can light top burners on our range when power is out so we can always have some soup, coffee or tea and hopefully a goodie or two if we haven't eaten them already.

Christmas cards are beginning to arrive so maybe I'll get started on those while I'm up. They take time as I like to add a little note to each card. Do you send Christmas cards? If you do, how do you handle the people who don't send them? Cross them off your list or send a Christmas or Holiday card anyway?

bubba
December 11th, 2014, 05:22 AM
Boy oh boy Cathy, that wind has been something all day here! Blew over our big trash can and the one across the alley as well.

In response to question #1.....yes. You don't know the half of it.

#2 - chocolate kringles.....those chocolate ones w/powdered sugar on them. I also like soft molasses and spritz. Today I found a recipe for lemon kringles too!

I'd be perfectly happy not to even put up a tree, but since we are hosting Christmas Eve, I think I'm going to have to! MM has a six day weekend next week, so I imagine we will do it then.

Please keep the outage at bay. I have every intention of starting and finishing a bow tucks and a Brentwood! The next two days will be my frenzy of sewing 20 bowl cozies! Then all I will have left to sew is to quilt and bind a top. Might call Jack into action for that!

Iris Girl
December 11th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Hi Cathy, We do Have power out provisions box. Here is what is in it. Actually it is several boxes.
First box food stuff. Ramen noodles, cup a soup, regular canned soups, Canned tuns and other canned meats for sandwiches. Gatorades.
Second box has a few triple wick candles and a head light for everyone. Everyone also has their own flashlight. We also have battery lights in every room on the walls.
Third box. games Simon, clue, sherlock holmes, scrabble, kismet, deck of cards, connect four.
Last provision is the pile of quilts.
We still have a house phone but its cordless and does not work when power is out. We kept my old pink princess style phone I had in my bedroom when I was 18 to plug in for emergencys. I also have the only smart phone in the house and have a recharger for the car so that can go. My old boombox Radio and cd's has batteries ready.

Our last power failure 2 weeks ago was 20 hours.

As for cookies I am not a big cookie maker anymore but I love chocolate cherry chip and peanut butter blossoms.

Hoping your power failure is minimal or non existant.

MayinJerset
December 11th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Forgot about having big quilts available for snuggling under while reading - only have 2 really big quilts but that's enough for DH and I and enough books to keep us reading until the Spring thaw

Angelia
December 11th, 2014, 01:17 PM
We have a wood stove, so heat and cooking are okay. Plenty of candles, oil lamps, and flashlights. Our phone is dumb--plugged right into the jack. We have city water and a gas hot water heater, so that's good. I'm up on this since our big ice storm of 2007. Nine days without power--we were the only ones in our neighborhood who didn't leave!

Most of my life, I lived on a farm--no electricity meant no well pump, so no water! To me, the worst thing was always feeling slightly grungy with no water to clean anything properly.

I'm not a cookie person, but my husband loves my curry and cardamom cookies during the holidays (or, actually, anytime!).

whippetmom
December 11th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Good point Cathy. My husband got the generator all ready to go, all he has to do is turn it on and the transfer switch will take over. Candles, Lanterns, and things all ready. We made sure the medicine is ready for the dogs in case the winds get really bad, our two oldest shake like leaves. Just rain here now, no wind so hopefully since we got things all ready it will not be bad. Quilts ready to snuggle under if we need them, good book ready to go, and battery operated radio has new batteries. I am hoping since all our preparations are done none of you will have bad winds !!!!
Good old Christmas sugar cookies are the best, but I cannot have them anymore, but make them for my husband just the same.
Hope you all stay safe and sound.
Please remember to make sure all power strips are unplugged from wall before winds get bad, would hate to see sewing machines and electrical equipment get shocked if not needed. Power strips are only good for so long, it is when the power gets turned back on things get dicey for awhile.

toggpine
December 11th, 2014, 03:02 PM
We have a wood stove here too. We made sure that we could use the top for cooking before we bought it. We have only had to do that after the winter wind storm of 2006. We also have all of the camping gear to see us through. We aren't in the league of the folks you see on TV in those "Disaster Prepper" shows, but we can hold our own here for a while. Water is our biggest problem, as we are on a community well. After the 2006 debacle, the water company put some of the profits into kick-over generators on all of the wells. With the rain that is predicted, we ought to do fine just leaving the livestock buckets sitting out to fill! I'll go out and scrub and fill all of the tanks today, just in case.

My husband's favorite cookies are whatever happens to be made! The Peanutbutter Blossoms are favorites here too. I heard you can make them with Reese's PB cups instead of the Kisses in the middle! There was a recipe for brownie bites with a kiss tucked on top on the back of one of the Hershey's flavored Kisses bag. We made them one year, and they went over well too.
Mom is coming over on Sunday and wants to bake cookies. Time to dig out all of the cutters and recipes....

I had better refill the coffee cup and go poke a bout a bit more and get on with it around here. I think I'm going to throw off the house schedule a bit more and was all of the bed linens and towels while I know I can. Thus ensuring that the power stays on for sure!

whippetmom
December 11th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Sounds like you are prepared no matter what. We also have the back up generator on our community well from when the developer built the homes , if we are out of power for three days like a couple of years ago, the people with no generators were worried because the pump on their septic tanks will not work, YUK. Oh well wishes to all of us in this mess, watch we will be just fine but did find all the power outage stuff if nothing else. Good luck guys.