PDA

View Full Version : Jingle Night Owl

toggpine
December 10th, 2014, 06:15 AM
It's dumping rain here at the moment. Yikes! I'd get soaked out in the tree! Thankfully, I'm in here and I just knocked out another chunk of Christmas shopping. Online!

I'm pretty much loving shopping this way. I can put things in carts, think about it, price compare, and then come back and purchase. I also miss the crush of crazy people, insane parking lots, and long lines. Yep. This is how I'll be doing most of the shopping in my future.

I am having a hard day on the farm. One of our most promising young milkers probably won't make it. She's not quite three and has had a bad pregnancy. She's only been bred 5 weeks, and has miscarried. Her body isn't handling it. She stopped eating and drinking, no H2O being the worst part. I have given her all of the medications we can, and she's not wanting to respond favorably. I've even been going down hourly to give her water with the dosing gun, thinking that might help. There isn't much more I can do for her without going off the deep end for extreme treatments and racking up monsterous vet bills. The truth is, he would have given her the exact same treatment and the outcome would still depend on her will to live. (After 20 years of this, we've taken nearly everything to the vet at one time or another for just about anything you can imagine.)

So, I shall just sit and sew for a while longer. Then I'll make one more trek to the barn for the night and get some shut eye. She is in God's hands. I just hope He sees fit to leave her in our care, as she is a sweetie. (Why couldn't it have been the cranky old bat that kicks on the milkstand??)

I've made some progress on Dad's quilt. The blocks are going together soooo much faster now that the paper piecing is done. The ships did turn out well, for which I am grateful. The cutting of al of the pieces for the Storm @ Sea setting pattern took less time than creating the 20 paper patterns!

How are all of you doing on your final projects for 2014?

MayinJerset
December 10th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Cathy, Smart move to stay indoors last night during the heavy rain doing your Christmas shopping on line. I've done most of my Christmas shopping that way this year and found great prices, items in the colors and sizes I wanted and best of all, free shipping.

I was up for a potty break during the night but was so exhausted from getting tree finished, decorations done around the house as well as household stuff so I went right back to sleep. I thought by limiting the number of decorations I put around the house I'd save myself lots of time, didn't factor in that I'd still have to go through the boxes to pick out items I wanted. This morning the decoration boxes go back in garage.

bubba
December 10th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Oh boy howdy! I was up at that time too! I had been nestled all soundly in my bed when that rain started pounding down!!! I am not one who finds the sound of rain on the roof comforting. I had nearly fallen back asleep when I heard a mans voice out in the living room and it scared me half to death. I laid there a while, then heard it again. Well crap....I finally got up the courage to go inspect and found nothing. I called MM....seems he had left his computer turned on and it is was his email notification, which is in a mans voice. It's hard to fall back to sleep when your heart is racing!

Then as I laid there, I realized all the things I still need to get sewn.....I'm going to be busy!

Carrie J
December 10th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Cathy, I've ventured into online shopping as well. I am not a marathon shopper, never have been, and have never liked venturing out into the madding crowd this time of year either! It's nice to just wait for things to be delivered, check them over, wrap and put it under the tree!

So sorry to hear about your nanny, that always is a hard thing to bear when one of your flock is going South. We hated it when we lost an ewe, or lambs, always broke my heart. Even though they are there for a purpose, you can't help but have them land squarely in your heart (least ways I couldn't). And it always seemed the ornery ones were Teflon coated!

Finished all the totes and purses during a triathlon sewing fit, lol. Now working on the Dresden, I'm torn between that and another pattern,,but, first things first.........I need three of me, too many "want to's" not enough " me's", lol!

Sonic
December 12th, 2014, 09:29 PM
I know I'm late to the party (been down sick) but was wondering if your doe made it through???

(Been there and know how it feels)

toggpine
December 13th, 2014, 12:32 AM
No. She didn't.
She passed at about 2AM that morning. I had finished the post, switched the laundry and gone down to check on her and she was gone.

ilive2craft2
December 13th, 2014, 12:34 AM
Cathy, I am so sorry!

Sonic
December 13th, 2014, 01:31 AM
Oh no. I'm so sorry....
Hugs for you and your critters.

MayinJerset
December 13th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Oh no. I'm so sorry....
Hugs for you and your critters. Me too., so sad.

toggpine
December 13th, 2014, 01:30 PM
It was/is sad. Things like that happen on the farm. I still have other fuzzy faces that need my attention, and that helps some. I'll have a new crop of kids this spring and that will lighten my heart a bit as well.

Raising animals isn't for woosies. There are hard decisions to make and I have come to terms with that. In this case the life/death decision ultimately wasn't mine, and I'm bummed that she didn't make it.
It has taught me that I need to make every breeding count though. I'll often cross breed the does on their first kidding to keep from keeping too many kids. I have her daughter, but she's not a purebred. Doh! I guess that practice has just been revised!

So Rhodie will be fondly remembered, and we have photos of her and Emily at Em's first show.
Onward and upward.

share60
December 14th, 2014, 01:54 AM
Sorry in Gods Hands xxxx

Jean Sewing Machine
December 14th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Sorry about the loss of your beloved critter. It's sad to see them decline and pass away, knowing this is nature taking its course. So sorry for your loss.

MayinJerset
December 14th, 2014, 03:04 AM
No. She didn't.
She passed at about 2AM that morning. I had finished the post, switched the laundry and gone down to check on her and she was gone. Oh, so sad you lost her.