PDA

View Full Version : What to bring someone in the hospital?

Musical_Starling
December 9th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Hey guys! Me again. Well, if it's not one thing it's another. My Mom fell down the stairs at work today and broke her femur :( She's fine! Swollen and in pain, but she'll certainly be okay, so we are all VERY thankful for that. Plus she's still pretty young (59) and in otherwise good health so she will hopefully bounce back relatively quickly. But, the one big problem is that for the next few days at least she's not allowed to smoke. It could be a rough few days, especially if you know my Mom. She can be fiesty! lol Anyway, I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas as to what I could bring her at the hospital to boost her spirits. She's pretty bummed out because A) she can't smoke as she's only in a splint for now until Thursday when they will be able to set her leg and put a cast on so therefore isn't allowed out of bed, and 2) she only put her tree up over the weekend and just has lights on it, no other decorations up, no shopping finished, no baking even started, and she's a big Christmas lover, so to be down and out for Christmas is just adding insult to injury (no pun intended!)

What would you like someone to bring aside from the typical flowers/chocolates/balloons? I'm thinking of taking her some wool and either crochet hooks or knitting needles, she loves to do both, and Dad is bringing in her iPad tomorrow hopefully so she'll have access to Pinterest for some patterns. But is there anything that you guys can think of that you would have loved to have gotten while you were in the hospital? Like maybe some moisturizing lotion for the dry hospital climate, or lip balm or some slippers? I joked that she should have at least waited until next Christmas, at least then I would have been feeling well enough to get her cleaning and decorating done for her and would have even finished up her shopping lol Thankfully my middle sister lives right next door so she's taking care of Dad for now and will be there to take care of both of them once Mom is out of the hospital next week. And she's a former home care worker to boot, so we got off lucky ;)

Sandy Navas
December 9th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Chewing gum or Nicorette - have the doctor put her on Chantix so she won't want those cigarettes (this comes from an ex-smoker).

K. McEuen
December 9th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Ugh! When I broke my leg in three places it was on December 3rd, so I know what your mom is going through.

What about an e-cigarette or some of that nasty gum stuff smokers use? Or hard candies or something for her to substitute on that oral fixation that most smokers have. Not sure about slippers since she will be using crutches and needs a shoe or something that won't lose traction on her good foot. Maybe crossword puzzle books. Knitting needles are a person's best friend when they are in a cast. I carried one around in my arm cast when I was a kid. The doctor found it when he cut my cast off. I'd pull it out and scratch any itch inside that I couldn't reach.

Good luck to your mom, I feel for her.

MRoy
December 9th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Snacks...our local hospital serves supper before 5 pm. It makes for a long evening and some favorite snacks might come in handy. DH told his doctor he nearly starved between supper and breakfast the next morning. Best wishes to your mom!

Musical_Starling
December 9th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Chewing gum or Nicorette - have the doctor put her on Chantix so she won't want those cigarettes (this comes from an ex-smoker).

Ugh! When I broke my leg in three places it was on December 3rd, so I know what your mom is going through.

What about an e-cigarette or some of that nasty gum stuff smokers use? Or hard candies or something for her to substitute on that oral fixation that most smokers have. Not sure about slippers since she will be using crutches and needs a shoe or something that won't lose traction on her good foot. Maybe crossword puzzle books. Knitting needles are a person's best friend when they are in a cast. I carried one around in my arm cast when I was a kid. The doctor found it when he cut my cast off. I'd pull it out and scratch any itch inside that I couldn't reach.

Good luck to your mom, I feel for her.

Snacks...our local hospital serves supper before 5 pm. It makes for a long evening and some favorite snacks might come in handy. DH told his doctor he nearly starved between supper and breakfast the next morning. Best wishes to your mom!

Thanks ladies!! Well, gum is out, because she has dentures (and only half a set at that!) so I don't think that will go over well. As for any other "smoking cessation" things, I like the idea but I'm not sure I want to be the one to bring that up right now lol I'm already afraid that a few nurses tonight may get told where to go and how to get there, and to talk about quitting smoking (even only temporarily) might just drive her over the edge! e-cigarettes might be okay, but I'm not sure if they're legal inside the hospital. They've been looking at banning them in some provinces, and I'm not sure what's been going on here, so maybe not.

But hard candy might do the trick! She likes licorice and strong mints, so that's definitely a possibility. Didn't even think of that! I think I'm still so stunned by the whole thing that my brain is only working at 50% capacity...

bubba
December 9th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Lotion, hard candy, crossword puzzles, and like you said if she does crochet, yarn! When MM's mom was in the hospital they offer nicotine patches to smokers, so you might want to ask about those to help her out. His mom ended up quitting cold turkey....I was amazed!

Oh, and if she is like my mom (who is also in the hospital right now), make sure she has her comb, clean panties, and her lipstick!

Hulamoon
December 9th, 2014, 07:17 PM
How about decorate the tree and snap a pic of it. It will be all done when she gets home.

meliswan
December 9th, 2014, 07:21 PM
The hospital should be able to give her a nicotine patch, my stepmom had one when she had knee replacement surgery. Knitting, iPad, and food sound like winners to me.

ilive2craft2
December 9th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Did this alot with my parents at one time or another. Books to read, seek and find or crossword or soduko puzzle books, etc. Hard candy - especially since she can't smoke - the little suckers/lollipops work well for this, since they have the stem and they kind of substitute for the cigs. Her address or phone book if she doesn't use a cell phone or can't use it there - many of us don't know phone numbers anymore and it helps to be able to call and chat with someone.

If she doesn't have her Christmas cards done yet, bring her a couple of boxes of cards along with her address book and stamps.

Don't forget clean underwear, hairbrush/comb, socks, powder and lipstick. Although, my mom is a different generation, so your mom may not use powder! :)

Hope she heals quickly!

bubba
December 9th, 2014, 07:28 PM
You have to be careful with actual food. When MM was in the hospital, they kept strict records of what he was eating, etc. Yes, I nearly got caught the day I bought him a burger and fries, but he hated the hospital food! How was I to know the aroma would drift all the way to the nurses station down the hall??

Musical_Starling
December 9th, 2014, 07:37 PM
As much as I would love it if she quit smoking, I'm not getting my hopes up lol She's pretty stubborn, as was her mother, and smoking seems to be that one thing that she will never let go of. But I'm hoping that they'll give her something to keep the cravings away at least until she can get out. If they don't give her something to keep the cravings away they'll have to give her something to knock her out because she'll have them drove crazy! When the paramedics were tending to her today they were asking her lots of questions "Do you know your name? Where are you? etc" and she got annoyed and told them to shut up asking stupid questions and just get her to the hospital lol I told you she was fiesty!

And Lorie, I'm hoping that by next week my sisters will have all of that done and ready, if not I might have to give them both knuckle sandwiches for Christmas! lol But one sister lives next door (literally, they share a wall), and the oldest lives about half an hour down the shore, so they're the closest. I'm about an hour away, but only about 20 minutes from the hospital, so I'll take care of things in here and I'm trusting those two to get everything done out there since I can't.

Not sure where she stands on her Christmas cards, so will have to ask about that, but she has her cell phone (and can use it just about everywhere except in the OR for obvious reasons) so that's a relief. And I'm hoping Dad will remember clean undies and such, I'm sure she gave him a good list before he left to go home today lol Thankfully our hospital is pretty relaxed in terms of food, I was even able to bring my Dad some homemade chili when he was in after his last heart attack because I cooked it using low/no sodium ingredients where I could and used extra lean ground beef so they were completely fine with him having some and even reheated it for him and told me to bring more next time to share lol

bubba
December 9th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Oh, yes! Her Christmas cards would be a good thing to do to keep her busy!

jjkaiser
December 9th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Not to worry hospital staff will bombard her with lectures about quilting smoking so you won't have to!! As far as activities I love looking at old photo albums, never seem to have the time and they just sit there on the shelf. She could even look at your old ones instead of her own if ypur Dad can't find them to bring in. Or if she has a shoebox full of loose pictures (and who doesn't?)she might want to put another book together. Hope the time goes quickly for all of you.

Midge
December 9th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Her doctor should have already prescribed nicotine patches. As Sandy mentions, Chantix is a great option for smoking cessation, as long as she doesn't have a history of depression - which would put her at risk for bad side effects from it. She can use patches for now and transition to Chantix later. If she/he hasn't, ask for them. Also, forget about slippers. She will need well fitting sneakers with elastic laces when she starts to walk. Hospital footies will help her feet stay warm for now. Good lotion or lip balm is always welcome, as are activities she enjoys. Hope your mom bounces back quickly and can enjoy the Christmas everyone else will put together for her. Although there is never a good time to have a bad accident, is there? Best wishes to your mom.

quiltingtrish
December 9th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Awww, I'm sorry to hear your Mom is in the hospital.
They all sound like great ideas to me. I'll throw in there a book, magazines maybe. I love to read and go nuts if I don't have something nearby to pick up.

SuzyQue
December 9th, 2014, 09:09 PM
I know it sounds cheesy, but a smile and lots of encouragement......along with all the wonderful suggestions already given. She is having a tough time without her vice and probably has some pain, so understanding might help her mood. I broke my foot right before a major family event and I really appreciated all the help doing all the little details to be ready. I knew I couldn't do it, but it helped to know that it mattered enough for others to help me with it all. I know I was cranky then......but I have told them all repeatedly how well they all stepped up to help out!

songbird857
December 9th, 2014, 09:52 PM
When the paramedics were tending to her today they were asking her lots of questions "Do you know your name? Where are you? etc" and she got annoyed and told them to shut up asking stupid questions and just get her to the hospital lol I told you she was fiesty!
Hehehe! This made me laugh... My mom recently broke her arm and ended up in the hospital for 3 days before they found a bed in rehab for her. I was visiting while the lady came in to discuss the move to rehab. She was patiently explaining that the insurance would cover a particular facility and that they didn't have a bed yet...blah blah blah... when it dawned on me that she was addressing ME!!!! LOL. My mom might be 82 but she definitely does NOT have dementia... I said to the lady, 'um, you can talk to my mom, this is about her!' My mother was just looking at her like she was ridiculous :)

LizTheScot
December 9th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Maybe a miniature Christmas tree/ornament that could sit next to her bedside? The thing I had most trouble with in hospital was just the level of 'background noise' at night (I'm a fairly light sleeper.) I was able to drown it out using a portable CD player (do they even make those any more??), earphones and a couple of Jane Austen audiobooks. I love being told a bedtime story!

Ahamblin
December 10th, 2014, 01:03 AM
So sorry to hear about your Mom. Do they still make bed jackets? My Mom loved hers when she broke her leg and was in traction. That and a lace shawl made her feel presentable for visitors.

Simply Quilting
December 10th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your mother's fall. A notepad and pen to write down something when she thinks about it. Also great for taking notes about what is going on and putting a piece of paper either on or near the door when she is sleeping that people can write down that they stopped by.

If the hospital allows it, her own pillow. It was so much more restful for me when I had my pillow from home verses the hospital pillow.

Good shoes with traction that she can easily take on and off once she can get up.

Musical_Starling
December 10th, 2014, 01:26 AM
Well, you learn something new every day, and today I learned that there is such a thing as a bed jacket lol Great idea though! Not sure if I could find one, but I totally understand why they're useful and will be keeping an eye out for one, if I don't find one in time for Mom for now, maybe I'll find one for me for my big surgery in a couple of months :) My shoulders and arms often get cold, but the rest of me is warm, so it would be perfect!

You guys have such awesome ideas and great advice, that's why I knew I should come here first! I'm going to take her some licorice and I will pick up some crochet hooks and wool to keep her company along with some puzzle books or magazines or doodle pads, whatever I can manage to find. Then I'll ask her what else she would like and go from there. Ixnay on the slippers though, but I may take her some fluffy socks for while she's still bed-stricken because nobody can be sad when they're wearing fuzzy socks :D I will let Dad know to bring her a good pair of sneakers for when she's ready to get walking again, or at least something with nice, grippy bottoms on them that are easy to get on and off. She's only going to be in for a week I think, if that, so hopefully she won't be too crazy before she gets to go home. She's like a blue-arsed fly, always on the go, so the next 6 or 8 weeks or however long the doctor tells her to behave herself might be interesting lol

Thanks everyone, you are awesome :)

pcbatiks
December 10th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Hey Dee......good to see you here again. Sorry to hear about your moms fall. Lots of great suggestions posted for you. If your sisters could take care of the Christmas decorating that would be a nice surprise when she got home. :)

Hope she heals quickly.

Monique
December 10th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Hey Dee, sorry to hear about your Mom. Seems like you have gotten a whole lot of good suggestions.

If you can't find a bed jacket, might I suggest a shawl, there are so many different kinds out there.

I hope she heals quickly.

Over40momma
December 10th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Dee, I will you keep you both in my prayers. (Saying an extra one for the nurses during her cravings.) :icon_hug:

auntiemern
December 10th, 2014, 01:50 PM
What about a mini tree? That would help her Christmas spirit. If she enjoys knitting or crocheting, those would be perfect. NO, NO, NO on the e cig. I am pretty sure they would give her a nicotine patch though. (Chantix scares me). I used licorice sticks to help me with the urge. I have been smoke free for almost 18 mo...and if I can do it, anyone can. At one time I was a very heavy smoker. If she likes crosswords that would be great. My mom liked the word searches, and a friend did sudoku. Anything that will occupy her.

Musical_Starling
December 12th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all of the advice and well wishes :) Just a quick update, Mom had surgery yesterday to repair the bone and everything went perfect! Her surgeon was very pleased at how well it went, especially considering what she had to work with. If you're squeamish, you can stop reading right there and just skip to the next paragraph lol Her femur was completely broken just above her knee and had separated and was, according to the doctor, ready to break through the skin. See now why I warned you if you're squeamish? But it was also dangerously close to her femoral artery, and thankfully stayed away just enough to leave it completely intact while still giving the surgeon a good scare. They put in a metal plate or rod, not sure which, and patched her all up and even the surgeon commented that she really felt like she did a good job and is pleased that it went so well.

So she's all patched up, has some new metal hardware so she's part Mom, part Robocop, and is cast-free, just bandaged instead and is wearing one of those oh-so-fashionable black splint/cast thingies on her leg. Could be worse, could be lime green lol But we're all just very thankful that it wasn't worse, because the floor she landed on was concrete and the stairs she fell down are about the height of two normal flights and completely straight down, no landings to break it up. We are certainly counting our blessings this Christmas :)

Oh, and they haven't given her a single thing for her cravings! Thankfully she hasn't had any with the pain before surgery and then the lethargy from surgery yesterday, but I told her that if she does then she needs to ask for something. Dad said to her either yesterday or the day before "Well, you've gone this long without a smoke, maybe now is the time to give it up" and she said he's lucky to be alive because if she had anything within reach she would have thrown it at him :icon_giggle:

Sandy Navas
December 12th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Maybe with your Dad egging her on (and looking for a whap up side the head) she'll succumb to being smokeless. All us ex's can certainly pull for her and encourage her long distance. She'll be a happy camper if she can give them up.

So happy the surgery went well.

Monique
December 12th, 2014, 08:04 PM
That is great news Dee. I am glad it all went well.

No matter how much you beg and plead, if your Mom has no intention to quit smoking, then all your efforts might be futile.

K. McEuen
December 12th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Glad they got her patched up.

At least your Dad will be able to outrun her for a while if he keeps making non-smoking comments. Just hope he can dodge items thrown his way ...

Simply Quilting
December 13th, 2014, 03:24 AM
Glad things went well with the surgery. I always worry when someone breaks the femur about it cutting into the artery as blood loss can happen so fast.

I'm very thankful that she has not been in pain and not having cravings. Continuing to pray for a speedy recovery.

ccbuttons
December 13th, 2014, 01:08 PM
So as a member of the shattered femur club, my favorite thing was those lamination crutch covers . I also loved my claw tool to help me luck things of the floor. For the boredom, Christmas movies?

ilive2craft2
December 13th, 2014, 01:41 PM
So glad to hear that surgery went well! Hoping the pain is manageable and she is coordinated enough for crutches - the feeling of independence will help with coping during this busy time of year. Keeping all of you in my prayers.

Miss Sheri
December 13th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Dee, I've been off line for several days, just checking in. Sorry to hear about your mom and grateful to hear things have turned out as well as possible. Hugs for you and yours! ~Sheri