PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing a thought aroun..

Mpyles
December 9th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Hey...gonna bounce a thought off ya'll...

I have 21 nieces and nephews....I started quilting 2 years ago...obviously I can't make them all a quilt and keep up with the great nieces and nephews...that haven't arrived yet...so I was thinking of giving a quilt this year at the family Christmas...to the nieces and nephews...but playing a game with them...family trivia....example...what is grandpas birthday.....What town was great grandma from.....what year was grandma born....and such. Two reasons...I think it will be a fun way of determining the recipient of the quilt and also maybe instill some ancestral history into their lives. I wish someone had encouraged me to listen better when I was younger....so much I heard...but wasn't truly listening to....and some of those stories are forgotten.

Whatta ya think? Lame?

Mpyles
December 9th, 2014, 01:51 AM
I should add...I plan on posting to facebook for them to brush up on their family knowledge and asking each of my siblings and mother for questions that day...so that they will be random questions...can't be accused of favoritism...

MayinJerset
December 9th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Good idea and fun too.

HandsomeRyan
December 9th, 2014, 03:50 AM
I like the idea of it but what age range are the people you expect to play? If all of them are young adults it might work but it seems like older children would have a distinct advantage over younger children.

Juliet Taylor
December 9th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Not lame at all :) only very sweet and well thought!
I'm glad I got to talk enough to my granparents to know how they met and a few things about their lives, but still I'm sad to say I didn't ask enough, I should have done more, so you're idea looks great to me!

Simply Quilting
December 9th, 2014, 04:11 AM
An interesting idea. I am like Ryan and wondering the age range and if that would affect who might end up with the quilt.

With all of the grandchildren, my grandma started with the oldest grandchild and worked her way down to the youngest. Each quilt was specially made for each grandchildren. It was many years before we each received a quilt but it was worth it.

kensington
December 9th, 2014, 04:56 AM
don't forget to have some obscure fact questions, with that many players you may have a tie or two. Fun idea!

Monique
December 9th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Sounds like fun to me.

Blondie
December 9th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Mary, this is a super duper idea. Go for it. And ditto the Handsome Ryan suggestion. I wish our family would just draw names and put me out of my misery . . .

songbird857
December 9th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I love this idea! Maybe you could make it teenage and up (say about 14 or 15)?? The younger ones can 'help' any older siblings....
or you could just do a yankee swap and watch everyone fight madly over it ;) - just kidding, I can't picture that ending up well. A few years ago my daughters played in a fiddle group and I knitted a hat for the yankee swap. It was a very cute (read trendy) pattern for teens... that got swapped more than the lottery tix going around, and all the teen girls were pining over it! Seriously, it took me a few hours to make and I never dreamed it would be so popular. I ended up making another for one of my favorite teens in the group who did not end up with it at the party :)

Mpyles
December 9th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Ages are 20 to 39... With probably 25% not showing up for the celebration...I intend to stump them and have enough questions for opportunity...once you win a quilt...you are out the next year!

Grandma Nan
December 9th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Sounds like a fun idea. Maybe the ones who don't attend will make more of an effort if they might win a quilt, who knows.

LynneLeavell
December 9th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Ditto to everyone's comment. This sounds like a great thing to do. I almost may try this next year with my husbands side that gets together the Saturday before Christmas. I say that because the quilts that I have ready now are all spoken for. I don't have time to make one before the 20th and have it quilted and bound. See how well they know each others family. There is about 50 of us that get together. All of my husbands Aunts and Uncles and his mother all draw names. The first and Second Generation (18 and older in the Second Generation) do the White Elephant and it is really a good time. Trust me there is some cheating that goes on that I think is what makes it fun.

Snip Snip
December 9th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I think that is a great idea. It might inspire the kids to ask a few more questions about their family history. And what a lovely prize.

GrammaBabs
December 9th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I think it's a great idea... I too , (and many of my friends) are now lamenting the fact that we didn't pay enough attention to all the "chit chat" around the tables.. or spend more time questioning our elders.... ME,, I was blessed to come from a family that was deeply steeped in "family fun and frolic" with aunts, uncles, cousins and good friends at most all Holidays and parties.. I lived with my Mom's Grandparents from the time I was 6months old until I married..and the weeky visits.. were just part of the weekend,, all with joy! This carried on for us until our own parents were gone,,, something we're pretty proud of,,, so I am all for hoping to get our younger generations to get interested in their elders and listen and learn... Great Idea Mary...:)

ps.. if anyone wants to know what the benefits of this is... Just look at our Blondie.. the joy she spreads and her outlook on life... "I rest my case"...:)

GrammaBabs
December 9th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a wonderful family... what a blessing... would love to be a fly watching it all!!!
Ditto to everyone's comment. This sounds like a great thing to do. I almost may try this next year with my husbands side that gets together the Saturday before Christmas. I say that because the quilts that I have ready now are all spoken for. I don't have time to make one before the 20th and have it quilted and bound. See how well they know each others family. There is about 50 of us that get together. All of my husbands Aunts and Uncles and his mother all draw names. The first and Second Generation (18 and older in the Second Generation) do the White Elephant and it is really a good time. Trust me there is some cheating that goes on that I think is what makes it fun.

Carrie J
December 9th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I'm echoing all the great comments! Being second generation, it was very common to quietly listen around both Grandparents, Aunt & Uncles and learn family history and lineage. Tons of laughter, fun and made the family ties that bound us, that much closer. What a great way to encourage the young ones to listen, learn and enjoy their Families history. And what a wonderful memento to have as a result of your idea! :D

Simply Quilting
December 9th, 2014, 03:55 PM
With now knowing the ages, I think it sounds perfect. Also sounds like a great way to get more people to attend. And learn some family history lessons.