PDA

View Full Version : hospital visit...

bubba
December 8th, 2014, 08:17 PM
MM and I went to the hospital earlier to see my mom. She looked a lot better than I was expecting her to look. They have decided her UTI is now turned into a kidney infection :( but hopefully they caught it early enough that it won't get any worse. They have her on iv's and antibiotics, those electric socks on her legs (she hate them!) and she is right next to the nurses station so she has help nearby, if needed. She feels sick to her stomach and is not eating, although I don't know if you can call broth and crackers for lunch eating!

The are keeping her there at least a few days, maybe longer, but right now, that is where she needs to be. It was just good to see her with rosy cheeks!

Vonnie
December 8th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I glad she's doing better and getting the help she needs.

Carrie J
December 8th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Pat, so glad she's on the mend and know your relieved as well!

bubba
December 8th, 2014, 08:25 PM
I am relieved...we both are! It was nice to see her acting her normal self and not confused like she was last week. When we saw her then, I chalked that up to her age, but I wish I would have questioned her a little about it. I didn't want her to think I was harassing her though. Next time I will know better!

Simply Quilting
December 8th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I'm glad that you got to see her and her cheeks were rosy. I can understand her not wanting to eat - the last dose of antibiotics that I was given made me sick to my stomach and nothing tasted good except a grilled cheese sandwich.

I hope that she will be on the mend quickly and back home.

MRoy
December 8th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Pat, I'm glad your mom is better. It sounds like she's getting good care.

Amy R
December 8th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Poor mama, glad to hear she's getting treated. I've heard that one of the first signs of a uti in "older" folks is confusion.
Hope she gets well soon!

quiltingtrish
December 8th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Oh good, so glad you saw her and she seems to be doing better. I'll keep my prayers for her going.

Grandma Nan
December 8th, 2014, 09:37 PM
I am relieved...we both are! It was nice to see her acting her normal self and not confused like she was last week. When we saw her then, I chalked that up to her age, but I wish I would have questioned her a little about it. I didn't want her to think I was harassing her though. Next time I will know better!

UTIs in the elderly are very devastating. They are really scary as you watch a person become so disoriented so quickly. I have had recent experience with this with my mother and it is quite unbelievable. Mind you she also had 2 strokes and broke her pelvis over the last couple of months too and has fought back each time. She is very frail (85 lbs)but It is so difficult to see our parents age and become dependent. In the past, most people did not live to be so old so now it is a bit of a mixed blessing for our generation. It is so wonderful to have so many years together but it is difficult to see them decline and see the quality of life go down hill .

Hope things continue to improve and look after yourself as well.

SuzyQue
December 8th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Confusion, then a diagnosis of an UTI......yep that is the beginning of my mom's last down fall. Eventually an aggressive tumor was located that was stronger than she could ever be at 86. Please always be alert to the slightest changes in mental status. It can say a lot!

Sandy Navas
December 8th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Pulling for a good recovery for your Mom - it doesn't get any easier as they get older.

bubba
December 8th, 2014, 11:48 PM
When we saw her today she was concerned she was not wearing lipstick and had no comb for her hair!! I asked her if she had a fever at all, because when I get kidney infections I always do! Last time it was 103.8, they had me packed in ice and were getting ready to throw me in the ambulance and get me to the hospital. She had no fever at all!!

Thanks for all your kind words...I will watch out for the confusion in the future. I've never had a parent this old before!

Monique
December 9th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Glad she is on the mend.

Blondie
December 9th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Pat, glad to read she is responding to the care. And yeah, broth and crackers - yuck but it may actually help the nausea? Take care.