PDA

View Full Version : T'was the Night Owl Before Christmas....

toggpine
December 8th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Yes, I have things to get done before the holidays arrive. So I'm up sewing!
I'm hoping that if I put in the hours now, I'll be able to get more sleep closer to the actual day, and won't be such a grouch.

I could go to bed, but I get so much more done after everyone else goes to bed! I can't run the vacuum, or anything noisy , so I can't feel too guilty about just sewing/quilting! I'm not a good wake-up-early kind of person, so that doesn't work.

I have very nearly finished the center, paper-pieced blocks for Dad's quilt. (Just the final pressing to go.) I know I have whined enough about this. I can honestly say that I have given it a go. I understand how it's done, and I can see where is could be useful. I just don't really like to do it. Very much like scrubbing the bathrooms. I know everyone finds their own favorite method or stage of quilting, and that is what makes this hobby so much fun.

Dad's quilt will be the last "big" project to get done. How are the rest of you doing on the final run down to the holidays? Any big things still looming?

I've had enough of a break, so I had better get back to it!

kimsophia
December 8th, 2014, 05:13 AM
I enjoy late night sewing as well. I got a lucky break on the Christmas pajama bottoms that I'm sewing for my husband. I had him try them on to determine the desired elastic waistband tightness and to check the length of the pant legs. I was concerned that I had made them a bit too short, but luckily, they are long enough so I don't have to sew in a false cuff. I should be able to finish them quickly now. I am proud that I accomplished a new style of pocket. I managed to copy a pair of his pants as I didn't have a standard pattern for such front pockets.

I'm also mailing off one of my fabric ornaments to a friend. I have another friend to give two to. These were made from from a DD charm pack.

Good luck!

bubba
December 8th, 2014, 05:25 AM
I have two bags to start and finish, one professional tote almost done and a quilt top to quilt!!! On top of cleaning out the closet of my sewing room (closet is 6 x 12 I think), moving the shelving into it and then rearranging and getting some new furniture for the main sewing room and now running back and forth to the hospital to visit with my mom....I think I might have a busy week ahead of me!

Still have to do all the preholiday cleaning and get up the tree! I haven't even put my blue star in the window yet!!! So far behind....

Oh, and believe it or not, I have not even sewn anything on either Jack or Jill!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RockinLou
December 8th, 2014, 06:14 AM
I have one dress left to make my daughter, and a fun little snowman runner I've been toying with for a few weeks, but no big or pressing projects. I actually got a lot of time in for sewing this past weekend, so I am ahead on some things I wanted to do.

We have winter vacation coming up very, very soon, so I plan on polishing off some UFOs that are floating in my sewing room and hopefully kick starting a sampler quilt and some other projects that I have floating around in there.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 8th, 2014, 06:50 AM
I'm making a quick quilt for my friend's daughter's birthday party on Saturday. We can't attend her party because of prior commitments, but we can give her a snugly quilt to keep her warm at her sleepover. I'm making the tea cup pattern again, I really like this for a quick block that you can use with large scale prints without cutting them up so much. I've had this fabric called Owlivia for a while. Been up for a couple of hours and have about 3/4ths of the blocks made. Hope to finish them in a while, nap for a couple hours and then put the quilt together.

Bubby
December 8th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Jean, there's a reason you're a quilting machine...you're awesome, Girl!

MayinJerset
December 8th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Didn't join you Night Owls last night, I did sit in the tree for awhile but no one was around so I closed my eyes and slept the night away.

Only night time sewing I do is hand sewing like stitching down the binding, I never cut anything at night, did that once and really messed up the size of the pieces.

Have my Christmas hat on already. 94450

bscuzz
December 8th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Don't feel so alone now in my "up till 2 am" nights/mornings! As a new quilter who maybe bit off more than she can chew, I'm still working toward 4 quilts for 4 GDs for Christmas. Have 1 finished except binding, had to set aside #2, result of cutting mishap 'n will have to get out and find more mtl, so moved on to #3 and have it well on its way 'n #4 still waiting!!! I console myself as I move from cutting in the dining room (no Christmas decorations done there yet!) to layout in my bedroom (to be picked up before I can go to bed), to sewing in the kitchen (the whole house is in total sewing chaos), then back to the D/R for pressing, with the fact that after the Holidays (if I survive) I plan to create a "sewing armoire corner" in my bedroom and have everything in one ?organized? spot. I'm getting a mountain of info/education just by reading this Forum and I thank each and every one of you for it - and last, but not least A Very Merry Christmas!!! "B" :icon_crazy:

bubba
December 8th, 2014, 08:37 PM
There is someone on here who lives back east that will remain nameless that was up till all hours of the night working on something. She refused to listen to me tell her several times to GO TO BED!!! and I have not heard from her today, so she must be taking a long nap! Wonder how late she might be up tonight???