PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Sunday?

shermur
December 7th, 2014, 02:19 PM
No one started a thread for today? OK....

I am so enjoying the weather here in River Valley Arkansas...nothing like northern Missouri at all.

I got news on Friday that my Navy son-in-laws ship will be delayed coming into port at San Diego due to the hurricane near the Philippians. This means he will miss the birth of his son. My son-in-law reached out to me this morning to see if I will be able to go to San Diego to be with my daughter during labor and birth...I stated I will try. But, I have to see if I can afford it and whether I will lose my new job to take off to California for 10 days.

I know it's not the end of the world, but I really wish that my daughter and her husband could be together to welcome their son.....it seems so unfair.

Amy R
December 7th, 2014, 03:38 PM
That's such a shame :( I wish a healthy safe birth and he can get home sooner than later.

Bubby
December 7th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I'm so sorry about your situation. Hopefully you will be able to be with your DD if her DH can't. I will be praying for this, Sherri.

Andrea F
December 7th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I'm so sorry for the two of them, too. I hope you manage to be with her and that your SIL can get home soon. Wishing a safe delivery and sending positve thoughts.

Live to Quilt
December 7th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Hears praying things work out for them.

Sandy Navas
December 7th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Praying that even though he's stuck because of weather, that he can make it back and keep this young family together where they need to be.

K. McEuen
December 7th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Oh, I hope you get to go. I loved having my mom there for a while after I had my daughter. Prayers for a good outcome for all of you.

Navy Wife
December 7th, 2014, 08:06 PM
That's the bad side of military service. Mine was able to be with me for all 3 of ours. But I have had many friends who have been alone. Well, we never let anyone be alone. If Dad wasn't there, we rounded up as many friends as we could to watch and wait. It was more a party time! I do hope you can be there. Grandmas were always the first ones we tried to arrange for!

sassygranny
December 7th, 2014, 09:52 PM
It is sad. But, hey! There's a silver lining. He will be one of the first off the ship. New dads who haven't seen their offspring get special consideration. It's really moving to watch all the reunions. :)

shermur
December 8th, 2014, 01:23 AM
It is sad. But, hey! There's a silver lining. He will be one of the first off the ship. New dads who haven't seen their offspring get special consideration. It's really moving to watch all the reunions. :)

I truly wish I could be there for both; the birth of my grandson and seeing my new son-in-law for the first time coming off of the ship! It would mean the world!

bubba
December 8th, 2014, 01:42 AM
Under the FMLA laws, you are entitled by federal law to take time off to care for your child. The type of time off depends on your boss...vacation/sick/or lwop. You need to see if you are qualified to take it (there has to be a certain # of employees, etc) and if you are you should have no problem doing so.

You never know, she could hold out till he makes it back!!

easyquilts
December 8th, 2014, 01:46 AM
It really is a shame they can 'to be together.... Can they hook up by Skype? Perhaps the hospital can help with this. It's worth looking into.... Good luck...