PDA

View Full Version : Christmas tradition gone PINK!

Wwena
December 7th, 2014, 12:27 PM
We usually make a gingerbread house for Christmas and this year was no exception. We didn't make one from scratch this year so we didn't bake the bread for it (it came form a kit) but we've assembled (using melted and burnt sugar! mmm that smell) and decorated it. Alice, my soon-to-be-8-yr-old, and I decorated it and she got to decide how. Of course it's now pink... :D

We usually put it on display in a landscape made from cotton, with a mirror lake and some ginger bread peeps and animals too, but it's been a rough week and I think this is it this year. We might make a family for it if we manage to actually bake the dough that's sitting in the fridge, instead of eating it all (which we are well on the way to do). ;)

Do ya'll make them too or is it just us? :)

Carrie J
December 7th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Oh that's really adorable! The last one was made by my Oma, when she passed the tradition never carried on. Shame really, it was a fond childhood memory, her kitchen was always filled with wonderful smells, comfort and love.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 7th, 2014, 12:32 PM
That is just adorable!

cyndiofthevortex
December 7th, 2014, 12:41 PM
That put a smile on my face! How cute is that?

Wwena
December 7th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Oh that's really adorable! The last one was made by my Oma, when she passed the tradition never carried on. Shame really, it was a fond childhood memory, her kitchen was always filled with wonderful smells, comfort and love.

Oh yes, the smell is really something! I had forgotten since last year, how much they smell. It's a hardship not getting to eat it for almost a month yet hehe.

rebeccas-sewing
December 7th, 2014, 02:51 PM
I haven't made one in a while, but yes, I've made them in the past. I have given them as gifts to a several people over the years. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos. I have a really nice cast iron mold that I bought reduced at the end of the season from Williams Sonoma one year (it's a fancy kitchen shop here in the states). They are so much fun to make. I wish I could concentrate on making one this year but I don't think it's going to happen. I often buy little figurines when they are really reduced after the holidays to put in the yard. I have some put away for future gingerbread houses. Yours is darling. I like the shape of the house. So cute.

Andrea F
December 7th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I like this one a lot too. It's really cute. I can't really remember but I think we made one once, several years ago. My boys weren't into making those but they liked baking christmas cookies. And eating christmas cookies even more :D

Vonnie
December 7th, 2014, 05:50 PM
That's is so cute! And pink!

kensington
December 7th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I certainly hope that is real cotton candy coming out of that chimney!!

Wwena
December 7th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I certainly hope that is real cotton candy coming out of that chimney!!

Oh no, it's an important part of the tradition that you have cotton sticking to the melted sugar that you have to try and pick away before eating it! :D

MayinJerset
December 8th, 2014, 03:10 AM
I like this one a lot too. It's really cute. I can't really remember but I think we made one once, several years ago. My boys weren't into making those but they liked baking christmas cookies. And eating christmas cookies even more :D

Same with our family - I would take out just enough cookie dough for each of them to roll out and cut some shapes and sprinkle with colored sugars as their attention span was short. Nothing wrong with their attention span when it came to eating the cookies.

Anna, Your house is so beautifully Pink - never saw a kit that made a house that big,

bubba
December 8th, 2014, 03:15 AM
That is so very cute and I love the pink! I have never made one, but have always wanted to.

Blondie
December 8th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Anna, gingerbread house looks too cute in PINK. And why not? Imagination rules. Adorable. I used to make them along with a lot of gingerbread men that we decorated up but haven't been able to make the time for that since the kids have grown. I may make some gingerbread men this year if I do as you say and not eat the dough. Hubs loves ginger anything. Your house is delicious looking. Well done!

We usually make a gingerbread house for Christmas and this year was no exception. We didn't make one from scratch this year so we didn't bake the bread for it (it came form a kit) but we've assembled (using melted and burnt sugar! mmm that smell) and decorated it. Alice, my soon-to-be-8-yr-old, and I decorated it and she got to decide how. Of course it's now pink... :D

We usually put it on display in a landscape made from cotton, with a mirror lake and some ginger bread peeps and animals too, but it's been a rough week and I think this is it this year. We might make a family for it if we manage to actually bake the dough that's sitting in the fridge, instead of eating it all (which we are well on the way to do). ;)

Do ya'll make them too or is it just us? :)