PDA

View Full Version : color me confused....

bubba
December 6th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Been looking thru Jill's (my new to me Espire) book as I wanted to know about cleaning and oiling and I can find nowhere in the book directions or spots to oil her. Is this possible? Does she not need to be oiled???

songbird857
December 6th, 2014, 06:54 PM
My Viking cannot be oiled :) but I would double check with the dealer.

Hulamoon
December 6th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Mine either

K. McEuen
December 6th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Many of the newer machines are sealed and don't require any oil.

cyndiofthevortex
December 6th, 2014, 07:01 PM
She may not need you to oil her. She might just need a spa treatment once a year. One of my Vikings is like that.

bubba
December 6th, 2014, 07:07 PM
I looked in the book further and also on line. Funny, the book does not mention anything but the online version says DO NOT OIL!!! I can take her in as often as I like, so I guess that will have to do!

Doloris
December 6th, 2014, 07:20 PM
mine says no oil, not even in the bobbin area. It might get on the thread sensors and mess them up. I love the low bobbin sensor. When mine says it is low , it is! maybe a yard or two of thread left.

Bubby
December 6th, 2014, 07:25 PM
My Janome machines have never needed to be oiled.

Doloris
December 6th, 2014, 07:26 PM
My Janome machines have never needed to be oiled.
I oil the wick in my bobbin area of my Janome. I have the 6600

Doloris
December 6th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I looked in the book further and also on line. Funny, the book does not mention anything but the online version says DO NOT OIL!!! I can take her in as often as I like, so I guess that will have to do!
check page 127, on cleaning the race. There is a note at the end that says Do Not Oil The Race. That is about the only place you oil the newer machines.

ilive2craft2
December 6th, 2014, 07:50 PM
My Babylock does not need oiling either - I have a low end combo sewing/embroidery.

Snip Snip
December 6th, 2014, 10:08 PM
When I first got my Singer I was cleaning it after sewing some fleece, and pulled out that wick under the bobbin holder, thinking it was a piece of lint. Well, I had no idea what it was, so after a couple of e-mails, Singer finally answered my question about it. But all they said was "Do not pull it out." Well, too late. I stuck it back in as well as I could. Not all of it went in. Do you think I should put some oil in that hole once in a while? The instruction book doesn't mention it.

vchale
December 6th, 2014, 10:14 PM
When I first got my Singer I was cleaning it after sewing some fleece, and pulled out that wick under the bobbin holder, thinking it was a piece of lint. Well, I had no idea what it was, so after a couple of e-mails, Singer finally answered my question about it. But all they said was "Do not pull it out." Well, too late. I stuck it back in as well as I could. Not all of it went in. Do you think I should put some oil in that hole once in a while? The instruction book doesn't mention it.
My Singer says to oil there.

IBake
December 6th, 2014, 10:22 PM
I've had Vikings for over 40 years and have never oiled them. I've cleaned out the woolie buggers, but never oiled..

And it was nice of you to ask if I needed oil.....because my name is JILL!

Sylvia H
December 6th, 2014, 10:27 PM
No oil necessary on Baby Locks! I do make sure to take mine in 2Xs a year for a cleaning. And hey, have you come to the part where you have the ability to upgrade the machine's computer? I forget all that can be upgraded, but I was really impressed with that feature.

bubba
December 6th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Yes I saw about doing upgrades, but have not made it that far yet.....

Simply Quilting
December 6th, 2014, 11:54 PM
I have the Baby Lock Symphony and it says no oil.

Vonnie
December 7th, 2014, 05:08 AM
I have the Babylock Espire. Bought it back in 2008. I take it in once a year. No oiling by me. But, remember to clean under the bobbin case everytime you replace the bobbin. You will be surprised by how much lint gets in there and if it starts to ball up it will really mess up your stitches. I find pipe cleaners are great for getting into all the little spaces in and around the bobbin case.