PDA

View Full Version : How do you start a block swap? I think I am brave enough now :-)

BellasQuilts
August 21st, 2011, 09:37 PM
I would love advice on how to start a newbie block swap. Any advice from the pros?

sally
August 21st, 2011, 10:01 PM
Well you put out an idea of the kind of block you would like to see done and then put it out there. I have been in 4 so far and it is fun and a great learning experience. Check out the Groups to see what we have done thus far. Then depending on how many are interested you set a join date and a finish date. We are just finishing up a patriotic one for both American and Canadians. I am in the Canadian one and we are a small group of 8 so we are doing 16 blocks each, you keep two and send the rest to the group leader along with return postage and she divides them up and send those back to us. We then (some sooner than later...I being the later) put them into a quilt of our own design.

Good luck and let me know I am always game!

BellasQuilts
August 22nd, 2011, 01:28 AM
Hi Sally, thank you for responding. I was thinking of doing a framed four patch quilt. Easy for new people like me but enough of a challenge to make it fun. I thought if we tackle a lap size quilt then it would be not too demanding. How do you decide the size of the block and how many can participate or does the number of participants matter?

Granny Judy
August 22nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
I subscribed to this post, since I am interested in joining in. I haven't a clue on the size and number of blocks it would take, but I know the ladies here will be along soon to help you.

BellasQuilts
August 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks judy

mrswindy4
August 22nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
I'm interested too....although I dont know if I would be considered a newbie still.
I had a lot of fun with the patriotic blocks, and want to join another swap soon!

Monique
August 22nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
I just completed my first swap, the Canadian one and will be mailing them out soon. I am game for another one. I really enjoyed the first.

pdjewelrylady1
August 22nd, 2011, 10:17 PM
HELLLLLLO Ladies!!! You asked for it - You Got It!!
A new swap group has been created and is ready for YOU to sign up!! FANCY FLORALS 12" blockswap :) YAY!!
click the groups tab above and sign in to the group by Sept 10 so you can play along!! :)

BellasQuilts
August 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
I think I will join this swap and see how I do, then try to do one on my own. Experience is the best teacher, eh?

lilsnailquilts
August 28th, 2011, 05:58 AM
it would still be nice to know some of the info she asked. I'd love to know how, and what goes into leading a swap of some type. Is there someone that you ask permission. it seems like there would be some kind of system.

JenniGirl
September 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
I would love to join a swap, but don't see anything still open - or am I missing something? I'm new to quilting and have never participated in a swap! :)

K. McEuen
September 21st, 2011, 05:39 PM
Right now we are working on the Floral Focus swap. Sign up for it ended Sept. 10. We'll be mailing shortly. Keep an eye out for another swap to start in a month or two. They seem to happen pretty regularly here.

Beach Cottage Quilter
September 21st, 2011, 08:19 PM
Hi Sally, thank you for responding. I was thinking of doing a framed four patch quilt. Easy for new people like me but enough of a challenge to make it fun. I thought if we tackle a lap size quilt then it would be not too demanding. How do you decide the size of the block and how many can participate or does the number of participants matter?

I'm interested in the 4P Framed quilt block swap, let me know when you do it! Thanks, have a Great day!

grammakim04
September 22nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
For the block swap you have someone who is the host of the block swap. This person decides on the size and type of block for the swap. Most of the swaps I've been involved with, the blocks have been 12 1/2" (great size to work with).

The host sets a mailing date and provides her mailing address for everyone to send their blocks to. When you mail your blocks to your host, you also include a self address postage paid envelope for her to return your blocks in. Once she receives everyone's blocks, she sorts all the blocks and mails them back to you.

It's like Christmas when you receive your blocks back. In the swaps I've been involved with, each member signs their blocks in a corner. Makes it fun when you put the quilt together to see the names and where the blocks come from.

If I can be of further assistance, please ask.

pdjewelrylady1
September 22nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
:) very well explained kim :) I LOVe to host - so fun fun fun!! watch for a new one soon...... YAY!! :)