PDA

View Full Version : Demating comb for doggies

Hulamoon
December 5th, 2014, 11:16 PM
I bought a good brush for the puppy and now I'm looking for a demating comb. The groomer charges way to much for that service, I think i can handle it inbeween hair cuts. Can you recomend one?

ilive2craft2
December 5th, 2014, 11:22 PM
We have a couple of different ones and they both work well for our golden retriever. One is a furminator - ours is an older model and the other is a knock off. Both work equally well. I just wish I wasn't the only one to use it - he needs brushed much more often!

LizTheScot
December 5th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I use a furminator on my cats and it's great - it's the one brush my bobtail will let me groom her with, gets through her thick fur without tugging. Though I'm always amazed by how much fur can come out of one little critter!

Hulamoon
December 5th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Thanks girls! That was fast! How do they get matted up in the first place, he never gets wet. From Licking?

ilive2craft2
December 5th, 2014, 11:42 PM
I think it is just the nature of fur - they have an undercoat that grows and sheds along with the outer coat. Danny Boy only gets matted in places he licks or scratches, but the furminator pulls out all of the loose undercoat all over. When we get done it looks like we have several small dead animals in our back yard. In the spring, I like to leave it out for the birds and bunnies to use in their nests.

Sylvia H
December 5th, 2014, 11:47 PM
I asked my groomer friend, her recommendation was: stick with a regular slicker brush and metal comb and keep up with brushing.

I have never considered the furminator to be for dematting. It tends to brush out the undercoat more than the top coat. It does pull and cut hairs at times, and I have seen constant recommendations to only use it 1 - 2 times a week, using a regular brush on the other days. I use one on my rottweiler.

bubba
December 6th, 2014, 12:38 AM
This is what I have and use. I got it for when we had Cooper the cairn as they have undercoats and this is designed to work with those and it's fabulous. Now that he is gone, I have used it on Yoda the schnoodle and it works great on him too, especially for removing mats if he gets them. The curved part of the 'comb' is like a razor, but designed so you can't cut/harm the dog at all.

CPCRN Mall : Mars Coat King Stripper (http://mall.cairnrescue.com/mdse/show_item.php?itemno=G01)

It's pricy, but I have had mine for over ten years and it still works like I just got it.

Midge
December 6th, 2014, 12:49 AM
I have a tool similar to the one Pat recommends. This might be a little cheaper. It's for raking out the dead undercoat. When I use it after brushing my cocker with a regular brush, this thing still gets out a lot more hair. My Tucker loves when I work on his coat with this tool. I've referenced one smaller than I use here.

Amazon.com : Oster Professional Pet Grooming Undercoat Rake, 18 Teeth Medium/Fine : Pet Brushes : Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Professional-Grooming-Undercoat-Medium/dp/B00061MWJK/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DKC6C5XY0Y1P2DWK0VD)

Also for specific mats that can develop like in the armpits I have this tool. It is smaller, sharp, and easier to work or mats without pulling or hurting them. This is inefficient for overall use, though.

Amazon.com : Safari De-Matting Comb for Dogs : Pet Dematting Combs : Pet Supplies (http://www.amazon.com/Safari-De-Matting-Comb-for-Dogs/dp/B0002ARR2W/ref=pd_bxgy_petsupplies_img_y)

Of course you need the teeny tiny size for your little boy!

Ahamblin
December 6th, 2014, 01:05 AM
The Mars tool Pat mentioned was recommended to me by my breeder for our Irish Red and White Setters. I bought the size shown for setters. It works great but does state to only use once a week or so or you strip out too much coat. Has helped getting rid of mats in their feathers.

bubba
December 6th, 2014, 01:19 AM
I failed to say they do come in different sizes, and amazon probably even has them. That link I posted was for a cairn rescue site so they might and probably do sell them for a bit more than elsewhere. I just know I could not find them in pet stores anywhere!

songbird857
December 6th, 2014, 10:12 PM
I just ordered the mars coat king and the mars thinning shears for my Cairn. I brought her to a groomer a few weeks ago - the groomer was nice enough but really didn't understand my request to not bathe her. I allowed the groomer to bathe her because she had gotten matted (Lorie - I don't even know how they get so matted!!!).
Well, my daughter and I were not really happy with how she looked - more like a silky terrier because of the conditioner - UGH... NO!!!!!!!!! (and the conditioner made her fur get matted more quickly afterward) She's a Cairn - she is supposed to look somewhat scruffy!!! So I decided to get the tools and do it myself, only bringing her to the groomer if absolutely necessary.
Pat, question... did you use a grooming loop for your Cairn?? I mean, she's great for the back and sides - she loves being brushed, but the underside is a bit more tricky! As far as price, the rescue site is actually CHEAPER than Amazon and others, but they cannot take paypal right now, and I just don't do checks anymore. Too bad, because I'd rather support them. My daughter is even talking about rescuing a Cairn when we move to a house with more space/land. We will probably go through Col Potter's site - love them.

bubba
December 6th, 2014, 10:47 PM
I used only the Mars comb, or whatever you want to call it. Cairns are not supposed to be clipped and you never have to bathe them unless they get into a skunk or something stinky. I did bathe Cooper about once a year, but that was it.

Hulamoon
December 6th, 2014, 11:01 PM
I used only the Mars comb, or whatever you want to call it. Cairns are not supposed to be clipped and you never have to bathe them unless they get into a skunk or something stinky. I did bathe Cooper about once a year, but that was it.
What is the reason behind the not bathing?

This little guy doesn't shed and his hair is really fine. He let me brush out most of the tangles and when he was sleeping I used my fingers. He got a little annoyed with that. lol

songbird857
December 7th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Cairns don't need baths because their fur naturally repels dirt. Ella smells so good all of the time! Bathing cairns can actually damage the hair, leading it to retain odor and get dirty. Like Pat said, they really only need a bath if they roll in something stinky or get blasted by a skunk! I also feed her grain free (taste of the wild), and I believe that contributes to her healthy coat.

bubba
December 7th, 2014, 03:14 AM
My dogs are only fed Canidea dog food, they dry one for all stages....grain free and very high quality. Glad they only eat a cup a day because I only have to buy it every two or three months! Good part is every 12 bags, I get a free one!

Hulamoon
December 7th, 2014, 08:05 PM
That's so interesting. Thanks for the food recomendations. They might be hard to find here, so my vets office is the best bet. I'll try there first.