PDA

View Full Version : potty training

pisceslibra
August 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM
ok i have a 3 year old little boy who will not use the potty no potty go away well that was what he said today if anyone has any advice it would help me alot i have done the cheerio and he didnt want anything to do with that lol im just lost on what to do with him

Divine Daisy
August 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
Firstly, i would leave the potty idea for a week or so, you are probably both stressed to pieces by it now and the issue will just get bigger and bigger if you allow it to. When you are ready to start again......... i am ashamed to say with one daughter i used blatent bribery lol. I got some small treats.... just tiny inexpensive things like badges and bubbles, hair riboons, cheap toy cars etc. I put them in full view and waited to be asked about them. When i was (about 3 minutes later lol) i said..... ohhhh those...yes they are for people who used the potty. I said no more than that. A few minutes passed i was asked again and just repeated my answer and kept on with what i was doing. When she asked if she could have a ribbon, i said....of course darling if you are one of those big clever girls who uses her potty............. yarda yarda.on it went but surfice to say she was using her potty at the end of that day.

After that i realised that actually she didnt feel safe on the potty, it wobbled a bit (apparently she had a big bum lol) so i bought i childs seat for the loo and we had no more problems

Good luck....if all else fails, have a gin or some chocolate and think about it tomorrow!

toggpine
August 21st, 2011, 06:38 PM
Wait.

Really.

My daughter was nearly 5 before she decided it was the thing to do. It stressed me out much more than it did her. We used M&M's and marshmallows as a reward for a successful trip. One large marshmallow or a shy tablespoon of M's. The rewards only lasted a few months and now she doesn't ask for or expect them. She went almost two weeks dry at night too. (Daddy forgot to remind her to go potty before putting her to bed last night.) The toilet is pretty big for the little ones and it "eats" stuff, so they don't always want to get near it.
Good luck!

Claire Hallman
August 21st, 2011, 06:51 PM
How well I remember that. Our son finally got the idea and got pretty proficient after reading a book about Elmer Elephant using the potty. For a boy it is pretty easy to put them on the regular toilet but facing the wall. Makes the aim just right somehow. A friend got a call from her son this weekend when her grandchild finally used the pot. They are using M&Ms. Take heart, there are few grown ups that aren't potty trained.:lol:

RFREE
August 21st, 2011, 07:08 PM
I used stickers for my DD when it came time to potty train her.I would just reward her with a sticker every time.I really stressed over it because she had to have surgery on her ureters when she was 3 and I thought that would delay the training but within a couple days she was no longer in diapers and we never had an accident. With the cool stickers or even tatoos they have nowa days it should go over real good unless he isn't into that kind of stuff. Good luck!!

Divine Daisy
August 21st, 2011, 07:14 PM
i just remembered! To improve the aim for a little boy i put a pingpong ball in the loo. they aim at that and no splashes..... works for bigger boys too lol....My husband makes battleship noises from the bathroom when there is one in there.........laughing

Chrystal Oates
August 21st, 2011, 07:30 PM
Honestly if you push it, it won't work. Leave it for a bit and start over. We finally started telling my son I am going to race you to the potty first I bet I can win. Since it was a game he loved it. We make him sit/go every 2 hours, until you figure out his schedule. GOOD LUCK!

Sandy Navas
August 21st, 2011, 07:31 PM
Claire beat me to it. I haven't had to deal with potty training - someone else trained my daughter, and my daughter works wonders on the granddaughters. However, I do remember my sister telling me that she sat all three sons on the potty facing backwards and they were trained in no time.

Good Luck - like the battle ship noises, Daisy.

sally
August 21st, 2011, 10:06 PM
Check out NarminParpia.com She is a friend of mine and her area of expertise is in potty training.

quiltingtrish
August 22nd, 2011, 12:51 AM
It's funny to hear the potty stories.
My first was 3 and wanted to go to preschool. But, we told him he couldn't go because they wouldn't take kids in diapers. He was potty trained that day.
The 2nd one was easy cause he wanted to be just like his big brother.
The 3rd one - a girl - I found her crying in the bathroom. She was standing up trying to go like the boys and wanted to know where her "thingie" was. She cried the whole day that it wasn't fair that she wasn't made just like them.

Hugs,

Txgrandma
August 22nd, 2011, 04:43 AM
I can't remember how many time we started and stopped the process with my DS. I thought he was going to start kindergarten in diapers. He would look at me with his beautiful blue eyes and smile and tell me "I'm busy playing mommy". We did the cheerios and ping pong balls and anything I could think of that he could aim at. When he was about four and a half yrs. we decided to enroll him in Montesorri School and he was so excited after meeting his teacher and seeing all the neat stuff at the school. We told him there was only one problem and he might not be able to go. When we told him he couldn't go to school with the other boys and girls if he was still wearing diapers, that did it. No more accidents during the day, but we still put him in diapers at night for a few weeks just to be safe. Him and his wife are now in the process of trying to potty train their daughter and believe me he is paying for his raising.

pisceslibra
August 22nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
well i have done just about everything i think of but today we got a lil closer to potty training him he would sit on the potty for like 30 min because i have it in front of the tv and i would let him get up and 2 min later he would say mommy i pee i pee but not on the potty next to the potty but at least he is giving it a try and last night we let him sleep in his underware no accidents or anything so i think he is more than ready now all i have to do is figure out how to get him to sit and use the potty i know boys are going to stand but he is short for his age and he doesnt quite reach the toilet yet and the potty chair i have really cant teach him to stand and do it lol once he get a lil taller i will take him in the bathroom and show him

and thank you for all your advice im going to try a few and see if they work

toggpine
August 22nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Try a short step-stool to help him reach the potty more easily. My girl likes to keep her feet on it, as it makes her feel less like she's just hanging there over the water. Helps them reach the sink for washing up afterward too.

SuzyQue
August 22nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
Awesome underwear or pretty panties did it for all my kids. We just explained that we thought they were old enough to have these neat panties like grown ups and they didn't want to mess in them. It worked like magic! I let my kiddos pick them out and we would sometimes leave them sitting out a day or so and build it up first.................then once they wore them, they didn't mess once! Good luck.

Txgrandma
August 23rd, 2011, 03:07 AM
I painted a step stool for our granddaughter, I paint bluebonnets our state flower and she sees them on the sides of the road in the springtime. She talks about the pretty blue flowers so I painted those on there for her. It makes her feel like a big girl because she can use the stool and get up to the sink to wash her hands and brush her teeth and also get up on the potty by herself without help, and she is very indepedent. She always tells us she's falling in unless she has the stool to put her feet on. A stool might really help the process, one thing that worked for our son was to be able to go like daddy and he had a little stool too. Of course her mommy and daddy making a big deal out of grandma painting her a special stool helped too. Anything you can do to make it fun and special just for them usually helps the process.