PDA

View Full Version : Hornets nest down!

Genny
December 4th, 2014, 08:34 PM
It finally got cold enough to get our Hornets nest down. Thought we had only one but after all the leaves fell off the tree there was two of them. A couple of the young men that work with my husband came over this afternoon and took them down. In the first picture one of the nests is already down by Randals feet and Randal is getting ready to take the other one down. The second picture shows Andy planning on catching the larger nest when it falls...not my idea...lol...but he almost caught it!

Carrie J
December 4th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Holy Cow, that is one huge nest!

Miss Sheri
December 4th, 2014, 09:16 PM
WOW! I bet you are relieved to have those safely down at last.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 4th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Whew, no occupants trying to winter over, I hope!

Sandy Navas
December 4th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Glad those are gone! I don't think they actually reuse them though. Anyone know? We have found several yellow jacket (a type of hornet) nests dug up by critters around here - their nests actually look a lot like these but they are underground.

Simply Quilting
December 4th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Glad they are down. There was a local ag teacher that kept one in his classroom. I hated the thing. I know that there were no hornets in it but I still hated having it in the classroom.

Usually the hornets make a new nest each year.

songbird857
December 4th, 2014, 11:39 PM
simply fascinating! I don't like hornets, but the complexity of God's creations never ceases to amaze me.

RiverMomm
December 4th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Here is where I admit what a terrible parent I am. Years ago we had a really big hornet nest in a tree. When it got really cold, we cut it down. It was so cool to see it up close. We put it in our garage and there it sat for a month or two.

Then it was show and tell for my 1st grader. Great! I took it to school and sat it down in his class. His teacher was amazed. The kids loved it. Later, when I picked him up, his teacher asked me to come into the classroom. She apologized and said she had to throw it away. Oh? Turns out that once the nest started warming up, the hornets (or whatever) started to slowly crawl out. OH MY. She calmly put the nest into a plastic bag and sealed it and stepped on the guys who were coming out. Not big deal for the teacher-she was concerned that I would be upset that she threw it away. She was a great teacher. :)

And yes, I was upset, I took a freaking hornet's nest into a 1st grade classroom!!

I guess we know where hornets go in the winter in St. Louis. Ummm, nowhere. They stay home.

Genny
December 5th, 2014, 12:12 AM
WOW! I bet you are relieved to have those safely down at last.

We really are glad to have it down. A couple years ago we had 2 of these nests in our small apple tree. Seems like the bees like our trees.

Genny
December 5th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Whew, no occupants trying to winter over, I hope!

The two young men that took these down said the bees live in the ground in the winter. I never knew that.

mpattylou
December 5th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Are hornets like mud-daubers (a type of non-stinging wasp...kind of a blue/black color)? Mud-daubers and all the next generation want to come back to the place they built nests last year. When my hubster put more insulation in the attic, he took mud-dauber nests out by the 5 gallon bucket....they had been building nests there for years. Then we put new trim on the overhang and blocked them from getting in the attic. They would land on the siding and crawl around looking to get inside....usually by the back door. It took several years for them to quit coming to the back door. I'd say you have a good chance that they will be back to build another nest in the spring.

Genny
December 5th, 2014, 02:46 AM
I've heard that Mud-daubers aren't aggressive but Hornets will sting the crap out of you. I read that Hornets don't sting you just one time, they sting you many times.

MayinJerset
December 5th, 2014, 03:45 AM
Wow those are huge nests, they must really like your trees. Only nest we've ever found was a small yellow jacket nest in our house's overhang, it had an upside down umbrella shape as was a few inches in size.

I was also wondering if the nests were empty or if the hornets were hibernating, according to Rivermom's story they are hibernating so for safety's sake don't bring them indoors.