PDA

View Full Version : serger recommendations

qcquilter
December 4th, 2014, 05:22 PM
I am thinking about asking for a serger for Christmas. I know I won't use it a lot, but there are times when I wish I had one. I am looking for recommendations from anyone who has an economically priced serger. Thanks

KnitWitRosie
December 4th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I have a Singer ProFinish that works really well. Got it about three years ago for Christmas, and it's still going strong. I mainly use it for serging pieces of fabric before pre-washing and for going around pattern pieces for garments. It took a while to get the hang of threading it, but now I'm a champ :D

Singer 14CG754 ProFinish Serger at Joann.com (http://www.joann.com/singer-14cg754-serger/8694895.html#q=singer+serger&start=1)

I saw it didn't get the greatest reviews, but I really love mine!

Iris Girl
December 4th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I have 2 wonderful sergers. They are both Bernettes made by Bernina. I bought my first one probably 25 to 30 years ago. and the second exact same thing a few years ago on ebay. One I keep with black thread , one with white. They do exactly what I need them to with out being overly complicated.

kaydee
December 4th, 2014, 06:18 PM
I have an Elna, and I like mine. I don't use it a lot, but I've never had a problem that wasn't user error! :icon_neutral:

SallyO'Sews
December 5th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Oh, by all means get one! You'll love it; try to take a class if one is available to you. I find my serger to be very much like my microwave oven: I never thought I would use it a lot until I got one, but it didn't take long at all before I was wondering how I ever got along without it!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 5th, 2014, 07:02 AM
I love BabyLocks with JetAir threading. But they are pricey. I have one that is over 20 years old and a new one I just bought this summer.

Equilady
December 5th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I'm told that Babylock was the first to make sergers. I have an imagine with jet air to thread the lower loopers. I like it but it wasn't cheap. My friend got a very reasonably priced brother serger from Kens Sewing Center in Muscle Shoals AL. She is really loving it. It looks pretty easy to thread and you can configure it to use it as a free arm. Ken's has a website.
You might use the serger more than you think. If you get one that does the wave stitch you can use it on the edge instead of binding. I wish mine had that stitch.
Good Luck in your search.

Hulamoon
December 5th, 2014, 08:37 AM
i have a high end Babylock too, but i was making clothing. You can get a nice one at a much lower price. You only really need a four thread machine, just my thought though.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 5th, 2014, 09:17 AM
i have a high end Babylock too, but i was making clothing. You can get a nice one at a much lower price. You only really need a four thread machine, just my thought though.
Yes I just traded in my 8 thread machine last summer and went back to a 4 thread. I want the power of a strong motor because I make costumes, but don't need the fancy stitches of an 8 thread. A friend has her eye on a Juki that has air threading, it is much less expensive than BabyLock, and Juki is a good strong machine line.

HandsomeRyan
December 5th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Brother 1034D is awesome.

It is easy to thread (well, as easy as a serger which has to be manually threaded can be) and very capable of everything I've thrown at it. There are about a million Youtube videos which can walk you through all the different settings and adjustments.

I've used my serger for all sorts of things from making simple serged-edge flannel baby blankets to serging the edges of the quilt sandwich before binding to hold everything in place. You can probably go your entire sewing career without one and be just fine but once you own one you'll find dozens of uses for it. See also: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?rs=ac&len=2&q=serger+projects&term_meta%5B%5D=projects%7Cautocomplete%7C1

Ahamblin
December 5th, 2014, 11:11 AM
I bought a Babylock this summer and love the air threading. I thought about it for a long time and finally decided to go for it. I kept saying I'm not sure I will use it, etc. Now that I have it I don't know how I sewed for so many years without one. Once you have one you will find you use it a lot more that you thought you would. Especially if the threading is not too difficult.

qcquilter
December 6th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Thanks to all for their recommendations. I was thinking about the Brother machine as it has been listed as one of the top ten for moderately priced machines. Not sure what I will do but I appreciate your input. Thanks again!

Hulamoon
December 6th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Yes I just traded in my 8 thread machine last summer and went back to a 4 thread. I want the power of a strong motor because I make costumes, but don't need the fancy stitches of an 8 thread. A friend has her eye on a Juki that has air threading, it is much less expensive than BabyLock, and Juki is a good strong machine line.

I asked the manager a long time ago about trading it in for the four thread and she said you will lose the cover lock and talked me out of it. I have never used it..Knowing this gal I don't think she would give me a great deal.

grannyann
December 6th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Handsome Ryan What brand of thread do you use with the Brother 1034d? I am thinking of getting one and wonder if Brother only works good with one particular thread.

baskets4deb
December 6th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I'm not Handsome Ryan, but I have the same Brother serger and I use the cheap serger thread from Joann's and have never had a problem.

ilive2craft2
December 6th, 2014, 09:34 PM
I also have the same one Ryan and Deb have. I have used several kinds of thread in mine. Don't let the threading intimidate you - you can always do the tie off method - cut the thread off near the cone and change out the thread cone - tie the end of the threads together and gently pull through - you will need to re-thread the needles, but that is easy with a good light and sometimes reading glasses - but that is due to my eyes. :)

It does not have the cover stitch or the wave stitch, but does a good job with basic serging. Just finished several pillowcases for charity projects and Christmas gifts and it is much faster to serge them than to sew them. :)

RiverMomm
December 6th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I also have the Brother 1034d. I use whatever thread I find. It isn't picky in the least.

If you want a basic machine, this is the machine to buy. It is a bit loud but it gets the job done and the price is right. I use it to serge some seams on clothing and serge around the edge of my quilts before I add the edging.

If money is no object, or if you are going to sew a lot of clothing, make special napkins, serge the world, then I suggest upgrading to Babylock. I would LOVE to have the one that threads itself, but I just couldn't justify it.

vchale
December 6th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I also have the brother and really like it. I have made skirts for myself, one baby QAYG, placemats, etc. wish I had room to keep it out, I would use it more. Works great for rolled hems, gathering and of course finishing seams. Threading is a pain but I haven't had any issues with kinds of thread.

grannyann
December 6th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Do you know if the one Walmart has is the exact same one on Amazon? There only very minor difference in price but want to be sure the one Walmart has offers the same things as Amazon. I could just go to my Walmart if it is exactly the same. I have a big old Singer on my back porch I haven touched in years. I should plug it in to see if it still runs. But I like to have something easy to use and smaller.

vchale
December 6th, 2014, 10:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the same. Some places sell with additional accessories for more money. Amazon also has the new designio 1234 for $220. Reviews say it is quieter, comes with 2 extra feet and extra thread but is basically the same.

ccbuttons
December 6th, 2014, 11:49 PM
I have one of the cheaper singers, and now I wish I bought the baby lock on craigslist. Self threading is huge for sergers.

Jean Sewing Machine
December 7th, 2014, 01:15 AM
I asked the manager a long time ago about trading it in for the four thread and she said you will lose the cover lock and talked me out of it. I have never used it..Knowing this gal I don't think she would give me a great deal.

I got a lousy trade in price, but I just wanted to get rid of it. I never really liked the way it sewed. It would break the needle thread every time I went over a heavy swam, and it wouldn't ruffle worth a darn. Those cover stitches weren't worth keeping it for all the problems I was having. Much happier with this, which is basically what I had before I traded for the 8 thread. Live and learn.

grannyann
December 7th, 2014, 01:50 AM
Went with the Brother Designio. Hope I like it .

Mpyles
December 7th, 2014, 01:57 AM
I bought a used BERNINA on ebay for 200. I wanted one for the same reason...just to use on some projects.

mpattylou
December 7th, 2014, 02:47 AM
WAWAK sewing supply has the brother 1034D for $299.99
I have older Bernina Bernette's...334DS. They are basic 3/4 thread sergers...but workhorses. My first one is 30 years old and still going. Bought the second one on ebay.

qcquilter
December 26th, 2014, 10:43 AM
DH surprised me with the Babylock Imagine. I am not very good at accepting really expensive gifts and felt a bit guilty that he spent so much, but I can't wait to try it out. First off I am going to sign up for the free lesson that came with it. Thanks to all for your advice and I hope you all had a blessed Christmas. Looking forward to the New Year and new projects.