PDA

View Full Version : Thursdays can be tricky

Blondie
December 4th, 2014, 07:22 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies!

I've been awake for awhile, letting the caffeine do it's thing, puppy dog on my lap under a quilt, hubs reading me about new grand nephew being born, ahh, life is good. Yesterday wound up being a no go to the city day. When I went back down The Hill to get Mom, she was just getting back up - she did not sleep good because she is trying to come down with a cold. Terrible cough. So, I've rescheduled that appt and spent most of the day with her, hand stitching a bit, cleaning a bit, and talking a bit. I carried in a lot of wood - she insists on still using the wood stove although it is getting to be a bit much for her - there again, folksies, I pick my battles. When she complains of her back hurting I am like "Oh well, there's a cure for that. Wood is heavy, lady!" Caregiving ain't for wimps. Nan, CarolynK, all others who have found themselves suddenly the "good daughter" (as my sis calls me), big hugs, much love and oh yeah, a bucket of determination to see things through.

Remember, life IS good and it does go on. Don't miss out. If it rains on your parade, pull out your umbrella. And if you really want a chuckle, when you wake up, go look in the mirror and say, "This is what I wanted to be when I grew up?" Then you shall laugh and laugh and laugh. Laughing at yourself is the better therapy than blaming yourself. True.

Blessings, hugs, prayers for many in need. Smiles too.

Mpyles
December 4th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Morning blondie! Sorry momma's not feeling better! Peppermint tea to ward off that cold!

I'm up...trying to motivate to get to work...coffee just hasn't taken hold yet. I tried last night to work on my quilt...almost ready to sandwich...but I was sooooo sleepy that I feared I would make mistakes so I just tidied up my oasis and pinned on the borders.

Everyone have a great day!

CarolynK
December 4th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Good Morning Blondie and All!

Blondie, you sure made me smile and laugh this morning and on only one cup of coffee so far! I hope your mom gets to feeling better. This time of year there are so many "bugs" going around and being around the public every day almost makes me want to put on a mask. But instead, I just keep the hand sanitizer handy.

Not much going on today, just plugging through the work week and getting ready to dive into financial reports and all that end of year stuff that I have to do after Christmas.

Smiles, hugs and prayers for all of you!

Carolyn

Bubby
December 4th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Morning Everyone,

It's raining here this morning, so that could mean ice on the roads. Yesterday I got my hair cut super short because the meds I've been taking trashed it. Now I remember why I don't get my hair cut like this....lol! It will grow back pretty fast. Steroids are awful on your skin and hair.

The Girls are up and want extra attention, especially little Olive. Dottie remains by my side every time I move a muscle. She's a totally loyal dog. She won't allow a door to be closed between us. So yesterday I took her with me when I went to the doctor and she waited patiently in the car. She's very serious and devoted to her position of 'Mom's Girl'.

I have zero on my agenda today, so I will be heading back to bed when Jeff goes to work. They tell me I need to sleep as much as my body will allow for now. I have a list of supplements I need to pick up and I will be starting a beginners yoga class soon to help with flexibility.

Blondie, I hope Mommy Ruth gets better soon. I know you have the Eagle Eye on her for complications. It's not easy being the caregiver....I pray for an extra measure of strength and grace for you, Hon.

Thank you to everyone who commented on my Diagnosis thread and via pm's. The support you have shown has been awesome and very much appreciated.

Wishing everyone a blessed day.....with Hugs.

dwil23
December 4th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Good Morning, all!

Blondie, sorry to hear Mom's not feeling well. I know she is one fortunate lady to have a daughter like you, and you are so blessed to still have her. Bubby - please get the rest you need, prayers for your healing everyday.

Yesterday was quite productive. Still much to do and going to have to get started in a few minutes. Last night I treated myself with some sewing time and finished putting together all 19 rows of "I Spy". I was so tired I was falling asleep as I stitched. I'm almost afraid to look at it this morning! Next step is to trim and determine the width of the border. I am so close to having to piece the back, but hope I won't have to. I have PLENTY of fabric, but it's just one more step and the piece would be so narrow, I just hope I don't have to do it.

Update on Lilly - yesterday was a rough day for her, so please say a little prayer that today will be better.

On brighter news - DD finally got a job!!!!! YAY!!!!! She has been so depressed about not finding anything.

The quilt I sent off to be LA is on it's way back to me - didn't think I would get it before Christmas - so that is a happy surprise.

AND.......my best news of the day (other than DD's job) is that I finally heard from the local guild and they have opened a 3rd Bonnie Hunter workshop. My registrations (along with friend Deborah's is in the mail) So excited! She will be teaching "Talking Turkey".

Hope everyone has a Blessed Day - prayers for all....

Monique
December 4th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Good morning everyone. Yesterday was a quiet day in preparation for the big dinner last night. What a pleasure it is to host such a dinner for the seniors. They enjoy it so much, and of course the food is excellent.

Off to the city today to get some Christmas shopping done.

Have a great day everyone and blessings to you all.

Mom23
December 4th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Yesterday was my first day volunteering at the local hospital. I LOVED it! I got to take patients from outpatient surgery to their cars when they were dismissed, make beds, stock supplies, and other minor duties. It will be better when I get to know the nurses, and they get to know me. I also picked up 5 quilts from my LAQ, visited my aunt in the hospital, put the bedding on my new bed mattress and put up and decorated the Christmas tree. Still have decorating to finish but I'm going to start Christmas shopping today. I was going to go tomorrow but decided the stores would probably be less crowded on a Thursday rather than Friday. I'm putting on my "patience panties" and heading out the door in a little while.

Blessing to all. Blondie, you are so good to your mama. Your children are learning from your example.

Robin

MayinJerset
December 4th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Yes Blondie you are the "Good DD" taking such good care of your Mom. My BFF did the same for her Mom and I know that besides your love you need to have a lot of patience and understanding. Kudos to you dear friend. Hope Mom's feeling better today.
PS: Love your ending cartoon.

Very little accomplished yesterday despite my plans to run errands and food shop with DH when he got back from class around 1pm. Did stuff around the house, put out some Christmas decorations and then took a cold pill and got on couch around 12:30 to wait for DH to return. Next thing I know it's 3:30, sent DH out for milk and chop meat for chili dinner I wanted to make, another cold pill and awake 4 hrs later and that routine continued without the cold pills until 6:30 this am. Needless to say no chili was made, he used chopmeat to make a big hamburger and had some potato salad. Feeling better this morning and think I actually will get out and do whatever I planned for yesterday.

Made a dent in my Christmas shopping, mostly online, and want to get to local shops for little gifts for everyone. DGD C who is getting married on the 28th is still planning for make Christmas dinner as she and finance have done the past several years, what a great girl! Will be eating the dinner at her Dad (DS#2) and Mom's but that's no problem. Just emailed her to find out what I can do to help with food, etc.

Amy R
December 4th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Yesterday I finished putting up the red and gold/white tree. I put pics up on the christmas tree thread. I love it! My eyes prefer minimal colors, the multi color tree will be put up when the big girls get here.
Little one had a bad day yesterday with potty training, including the highlight of the regression, actually peeing on the floor. Whaaa!!!
Hopefully today she gets back on track. The poor dog was trying to melt into the door to get away from it so he didn't get into trouble. And it was confirmed she did it, it was all over her socks .
The cat actually initiated play with the dog last night, it was adorable!! I caught some on video before my memory was full. At 120# he is so gentle it's amazing!
Not sure what today's plan is, there's a heavy frost outside. It was nice to feel the sun through the window yesterday afternoon for sure.
Definitely going to work on hand quilting. Need to get that done!! Then Dad's vest, and brother/sil's placemats and I'm done with Christmas fabric creations.
Praying for all of you still, gentle hugs to those in pain.

DH told me to look under the tree last night: Kit Kat our early Christmas kitty <3

ravelim
December 4th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Blondie and other caretakers I pray for you. It was so difficult taking care of my mom just because I loved her so much and wanted to do my best for her. After 5 years of hard, hard work we had to put her in a nursing home and she was mad at me. But that's a story for another time.

What I wanted to say was your message today made me laugh. Thanks.

Get my mop of hair cut today. Yippee. It needs to be cut.

Better go for now. Prayers and hugs for everyone.

Sandy Navas
December 4th, 2014, 11:23 AM
I wondered where that picture of Blondie and I disappeared to . . . and she has it! We're still beautiful, young lady.

Yesterday was half a wrap. Strange day. Having issues with tension on my sewing machine and it is maddening!! Luckily Li'l Sis broke me away when she came up to put a quilt on the long-arm. She's finishing up a Hawaiian print D9P for one of her DIL's for Christmas. So bright and beautiful - bright ORANGE backing . . . didn't quite finish so I expect her her again sometime today.

Need to make a run to the grocery sometime today - need to get coffee!! Can't go without!! Last time I bought I picked up something different because I was in a different store and we've been braving our way through the bottom of the sack! Almost there.

Did a dastardly deed last night - almost ready to fall asleep while reading and in my book they were having French toast. Shook Al and asked if he thought that sounded good, so we got up and had a nice serving each . . . I'm sure I won't want anything to eat all day today though! We were laughing at how BAD we are though.

To all who need comfort, I'm sending it. That sudden pressure you feel on your shoulder when you think no one is there is just me giving you a gentle hug and reassurance that things will turn out according to plan.

GrammaBabs
December 4th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Hugs of Good Health to Mom blondie..All,, I pray for strength to make it thru this seasonal crunch,, and LOTS of time to spend doing what we love so much... "quilting"... if not.. at least for the time to pass quickly so we can get back to it..:))))) B

JCY
December 4th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Morning, All ~ Frost & 30 deg. here in Colo. It's supposed to get up to 56. My quilting projects have been put aside for Christmas cards & letter. The letter has been tweaked numerous times. It's ready to be printed out. It's time to start the mail assembly line & get those cards out.

So far I haven't found any DDs with the M* 12 Days of Christmas that have sparked my interest. Maybe because I spent $ at the LQS last week. There were some bolts discounted 50%, so I bought several yards of asst'd fabrics & 4 FQs. (Shhh - like 18 yds!)
I keep visualizing all these quilts I'll make. I'm thinking of making a lap sized "Walk About" for 3 of the fabrics. It should be quick & easy with the larger focus fabric squares.

Blondie, I remember those wood stove days. We kept our wood stove going for 13 yrs. back in the '80's. We rolled newspaper logs & got scrap wood from a local business. We also burned coal to hold the fire over the night. Carrying those ashes out every day is not fun. Plus, our walls got rather smoked up over the years. But there is something warm & cozy about a wood stove fire & the heat.

Everyone have a good Thursday.

Cfrankl
December 4th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Happy Thursday

Blondie, love your coffee poem, Kepp your chin up with your mom, I know it is not easy, we cared for hubby grandfather, who had lost a leg and was in a wheel chair, it takes great patients, but sad to say, they don't live forever

Finished my brothers quilt yesterday, now I can go back to my fun sewing. I did free motion meander on it, I really quite enjoy that. There is a quilt store near by that does charity quilts, they provide the supplies, you supply the time to put it together. I think I am going to get a few and help out.

Oh well hubby went to a bull sale so I get to help my FIL do chores and he is here now, so guess it is off to work for me

MRoy
December 4th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Good morning! Blondie, I hope your mom feels better today. I was the caregiver daughter for my mom too. My sister had her own serious health issues to deal with. Mom was bull headed and, like you said, I had to pick my battles but I don't regret a minute of it and I know you don't either. When I get old I plan to be one of the little ladies in your cartoon.

My Christmas shopping is same as done. I've done it all online so far - from books and games for DS and grand kids to a step ladder for DH. It helps to have the grand kids gifts shipped directly to TX for their mom to hide until Christmas day. Some cash for DS and B&N gift cards for the grands and any little items that may catch my eye and I'll be totally done. Yay!

I'm going to a gift exchange tonight with some friends that I haven't seen in quite a while. I worked in another county for years and they still work here so we've not had much opportunity to get together. I'm off to the grocery soon to get the ingredients to make sausage balls to take for snacks.

Carrie J
December 4th, 2014, 01:33 PM

And Good Morning to All!
Coffee is making, slept late and totally luxuriated in it! BFF got a total release to resume everyday activities yesterday, and my schedule is back to normal, well normal in my world, LOL! Blondie, yeah, been there done that and laugh as well. I plan on hitting the sewing today without fail, working two households has been hectic and tiring, but now I can bury myself in fabric and get some stocking stuffers out and done. M* was swamped with Black Friday orders and Cyber Monday, so the "Shipped" came yesterday, Oh if only it would get here today, LOL! Another dark, dingy day here with sporadic rain, but perfect for what I plan on doing. Hugs and Blessings to all, and especially those that need them!

toggpine
December 4th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Hello Everybody!

I'm with you all on the elder-care thoughts. Not easy, but worth it. I just hope my children think so when it is my turn.

I went to get something done about the fee I had paid for a long-arm certification class that the store no longer could offer. I was hoping for some of it back in cash, but I have a nice store credit. Not a horrible thing to have, but not exactly what I wanted.

We have a sizable chunk of our Christmas shopping done. We have done most of it online too. Now, it will be just great as long as it all arrives before Christmas! I learned the hard way last year to NOT order fabric that I wanted for projects to finish for Christmas on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. It took too long to pack & ship to give me enough time to finish the item before midnight of Christmas Eve!

Speaking of time management.... The coffee is kicking in and I need to get in there and battle the paper-piecing project.
I know you all said I'd have an "Ah-Ha" moment and I'd be fine. I've had it. I totally get how it works, and I don't really care for it. I know it has it's place and purpose, and if need be, I will do it. I just don't think I'll be diving into a full scale project like a Mariner's Compass or anything in the near future.

Make sure you smile at one of those cranky-faced folks out there today. It's amazing what can happen when you do! I'm sure that lady coming out of Target yesterday thought I was loony, but her face certainly looked better after I smiled at her and wished her a Happy Wednesday as I passed her.
May you all have a stupendous Thursday!
Hugs, Cathy

RockinLou
December 4th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Good morning all. I love these posts, I feel like I'm getting to know you all. As your day begins mine is ending here in Kazakhstan. It was a typical teaching day, I'm exhausted, physically and mentally and I'm just ready for our winter vacation to arrive.

This morning my 3 year old had his first school concert, they are so stinking cute!! Tomorrow are parent teacher conferences, which I dread as both a parent and a teacher. Whomever dreamed this process up was not an introvert!! Sigh... I will get through it... Because my livelihood depends upon it!!

aliaslaceygreen
December 4th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Good Thursday to you! Christmas things are all out of the attic... Now it's on me! Yikes....
But Christmas cards are all written.... Now I have to go to the PO.
But...are you noticing a pattern here?? I am procrastinating!!!
Hope all is well !!!!!
(((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))S

Navy Wife
December 4th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Another cloudy day in east TN. I do get tired of the gray skies, but at least it is dry this afternoon. Still working on getting my baby quilt finished. Jen said they will induce labor the end of January so all the doctors on their team can be there. That is, if she survives that long. Really puts a cloud on the festivities of the holiday.
We got the decorations out and ready for the kids to put up Saturday. There are some good things about being old, not many, but some! Back to work on the quilt.

Simply Quilting
December 4th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Good Afternoon. Still on the cool and cloudy side today.

I did get all of the D9P blocks cut last night. But as I went to lay out the quilt, I didn't like the way it was laying out. So I put it aside and will work on it later today. After all there are still 21 days left til Christmas - nothing like waiting til the last minute.

Care taking is not an easy task. I watch my Grandma and parents take care of my Grandpa.

Hugs to those who need comfort today.

Have a wonderful day everyone :)

Over40momma
December 4th, 2014, 06:50 PM
:icon_wave: Posting late because I am putting my procrastination tendencies out to the curb. It's been a busy day and though progress is slow on getting the forgotten items done, I have quite a few checkmarks on what is now my Ta-Da list! :lol:

Keeping good thoughts for all you caregivers.....what you do is very special and never easy.
Have a great evening everyone.