PDA

View Full Version : Crochet hooks for knitters?

kaydee
December 3rd, 2014, 07:38 PM
Can anyone recommend a nice set of crochet hooks for a knitter? My daughter tells me there are some knitting patterns that call for the use of a crochet hook, so I thought I'd get her a set. I saw one set on Amazon, but people commented that the size label wore off.

Also, if anyone has any other ideas for things knitters might need, I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!

Sonic
December 3rd, 2014, 08:34 PM
I crochet and knit (mostly crochet) and you might see if you cant hint and find out of your friend uses metal, plastic, or wood knitting needles. I have metal (very smooth and slidey) crochet hooks as well as wood and plastic. The plastic usually has a little bit of "grab" to the material which some like and others don't.
Wood hooks are somewhere in between. The material your friend prefers to knit with might make a difference in what type of hooks she would like because of how each surface works the yarn.
Usually you can find a nice set at Joann's, yarn stores, or craft and fabric stores.

The Crochet Dude is a decent brand as is Susan Bates. Even the metal ones at Walmart (Boye brand) aren't too bad.
Any hook with a sticker will indeed wear off. Look for hooks where the info is engraved into the handle or on the bottom.

I've checked at Amazon for a nice Bamboo set but the ones sold there tend to have small burrs on the edges which catch the yarn- and not in a good way. While you may not crochet, reading the reviews will tell you a lot about the smoothness/performance of a set of hooks which is very important.
It's not to say there aren't good ones at Amazon, but like mentioned above most crafty stores sell decent ones.

Yarn!
Knitters and crocheters always need more yarn! We are just as bad about wanting yarn as quilty people are about fabric. :D

lapeoples
December 3rd, 2014, 09:18 PM
I do more crocheting than knitting because I'm better at it and crochet goes faster for me. I prefer either rosewood or bamboo. I like how they feel better than metal but I've never gotten a hook that didn't work.

kaydee
December 3rd, 2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks, ladies. I didn't know if there was a difference in the type of material they are made from -- if one is easier to work with than the other. But, it sounds like it's personal preference.

Btw, I admire all knitters. I've tried to do it several times, and just can't get the hang of it. I seem to drop stitches endlessly, and can't get the knack of picking them back up.

Carrie J
December 3rd, 2014, 11:15 PM
Kaydee, I don't knit, but do crochet. And for me (it's all user preference) I love bamboo crochet hooks. They are the bomb and have totally forgotten my metal or resin ones. There is a great set of crochet needles for Tunisian crocheting, or Railroad crocheting. They have a 4ft long extension that is awesome. I'd ask some benign questions and get a feel for what she likes/dislikes or is looking for. After all, Elves can get nosey this time of year :D!

kaydee
December 4th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Thanks for your help, Carrie. She is very new to knitting, so I don't think she has developed any preferences. That's why I thought I'd ask for suggestions from the talented, experienced people on this forum.

Is there a brand of bamboo hooks that you would recommend? ones that don't have the burrs Sonic mentioned?

Carrie J
December 4th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Kaydee, here's a link and one of the first sets I purchased. Had no issues with burrs, but the Tunisian's had a couple of issues, just used 800 grit sandpaper on those and issue solved. Hope this helps!

http://www.amazon.com/One-bamboo-crochet-hooks-2-75/dp/B001E1AM02/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1417662586&sr=8-6&keywords=Bamboo+crochet+hooks

Sonic
December 4th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Kaydee, here's a link and one of the first sets I purchased. Had no issues with burrs, but the Tunisian's had a couple of issues, just used 800 grit sandpaper on those and issue solved. Hope this helps!

Amazon.com: One set of 13 PCs bamboo crochet hooks US 2/C (2.75 mm)-US 15/N (10 mm) (http://www.amazon.com/One-bamboo-crochet-hooks-2-75/dp/B001E1AM02/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1417662586&sr=8-6&keywords=Bamboo+crochet+hooks)

That's one of the sets I almost bought.
How do you like them?

Carrie J
December 4th, 2014, 01:31 AM
Leah, have had no issues with them whatsoever, however the Tunisian extension needles two had burr spots on different needles, 800 grit took care of that real quick. The only other issue were the extensions, they kept popping off, again Crazy Glue, no more issues. Tunisian is awesome, you don't have to turn it's like using a typewriter (wait, did I just date myself? LOL) zip down the row, add however many SC you need, and return! Win, Win!

sewlucky
December 4th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I'm a knitter. I love bamboo needles these days. There is the odd pattern that calls for some crochet, usually for a reinforcing edge or to seam the pieces. Crochet hooks also work really well to pick up a dropped stitch. My most commonly used needles and hooks are between 4-6mm. I don't particularly love to work with the new bumpy chunky yarns, preferring a smooth worsted weight or even fingering weight (so smaller needles yet). Would be good to see what she likes to work with best.

Some notions I love are stitch markers - there's lots of kinds put there that are fun, but they all get lost or broken easily, yarn needles with a large eye - again are easy to lose! I will add more, I have to run my son to orthodontist and school now :)

Terri

songbird857
December 4th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I love bamboo - I knit and crochet (prefer knitting.. well... prefer sewing above that but I digress...) I know my mom can't use bamboo because the wood heats up in her hand - she is a speedy lifelong knitter!
Yarn - yarn - yarn!!! Maybe buy a skein of luxury yarn that she wouldn't buy for herself. A natural fiber with alpaca or merino...mmmm.