PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis

Bubby
December 3rd, 2014, 05:15 PM
I spent hours with the doctors this morning and my diagnosis is NOT Guillian-Barre, it's Epstein-Barr. I have an extremely high level of EB antigens in my system and the outbreak I had was related to coming into contact with the virus again recently and my body trying to kill the virus. This, of course, is an oversimplification, but it's something I can relate to. Now I will be monitored for MS and Hodgkins Lymphoma, which can be linked to E-B in certain cases. I have reams of paperwork to read and medical records I need to file and keep forever. My case is further complicated by having diabetes and lupus....nothing is ever simple, is it.

I'm taking this as a good report. Thanks again to everyone who carried me along with prayers and wellwishes the past few weeks. Love & Hugs to everyone. Barb

Blondie
December 3rd, 2014, 05:35 PM
I am THRILLED that this diagnosis is not what they thought it would be. Diabetes and Lupus do complicate your immune system, girlfriend - in spite of that, your body fought valiantly against this virus. You may consider gloves and a small mask when you are out in the general public - at least this time of year - that's what I make my Mom do. we get queer looks but I am good at thumbing my nose.
Love you

Jean Sewing Machine
December 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the update, Barb! We are all so concerned about you.

Andrea F
December 3rd, 2014, 06:05 PM
Dear Barb, I am so glad that you got the less severe diagnosis although this isn't a walk in the park either. I hope the doctors can deal with it and it does not impair you too much in the future and you are going to be okay. Sending hugs and positive thoughts.

Iris Girl
December 3rd, 2014, 06:10 PM
(((Hugs)))) Barb. Hoping the Drs can now find the correct treatment for you and happy this is a less severe issue although still not great. Take Blondie's advice and mask and glove when out with the inconsiderate public that does not mind sneezing and coughing all over everyone. Thinking of you and sending hugs and positive healing thoughts.

Sonic
December 3rd, 2014, 06:12 PM
I'm glad you know as the not knowing is very stressful. I will continue to hold you in my thoughts and prayers.

cyndiofthevortex
December 3rd, 2014, 06:16 PM
You keep fighting and we'll keep praying. Deal?

Angelia
December 3rd, 2014, 06:24 PM
I'm thinking of you---rest, rest, rest!

Carrie J
December 3rd, 2014, 07:23 PM
Barb, just knowing is a major victory, and to echo others with the same sentiment, keep fighting, we'll hold you close to our hearts and prayers!!!! {{{{HUGS}}}}

Simply Quilting
December 3rd, 2014, 08:07 PM
Barb, thank you for the update. I'm glad it is not as sever as first thought. Continuing to pray for you.

Amy R
December 3rd, 2014, 08:36 PM
I hope you feel better soon. What a burden you have health wise!! We here are still praying for you!

Marebear
December 3rd, 2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the update - continued prayers and good thoughts sent your way.

auntiemern
December 3rd, 2014, 09:44 PM
So glad you finally know what has been going on with you. Seems like the lupus complicates a lot of other illnesses. Happy to hear they have a handle on it. Do as Blondie says, and take extra precautions when out and about. Hugs and continued prayers.

ilive2craft2
December 3rd, 2014, 09:49 PM
Glad to hear of this update. Make sure you take it easy and get lots of rest, to help your body with the healing process. Keeping you in prayers.

Grandma Nan
December 3rd, 2014, 10:09 PM
Glad for the update Barb. Knowing is better than not knowing and then treatment is at least going in the right direction. Thinking of you often and hope you improve every day.

Miss Sheri
December 3rd, 2014, 10:18 PM
(((((Barb))))) What a wild ride this has been for you! I am keeping you in my prayers and heart too. My son has the Epstein Bar virus in him too, but he does not have the many other various auto-immune issues. He is young, still in his mid twenties, and when he gets sick with cold or flu, that is when the EB kicks in an lays him out. For him, it tends to greatly magnify his other illness symptoms.
Wishing you the very best, and sending my love and friendship.

Miss Sheri

MayinJerset
December 3rd, 2014, 11:27 PM
Big sigh, glad it isn't as bad as you feared and now get to work fighting this new health problem. Sending along prayers for continued strength as you fight your way into better health - you're a gutsy gal and we know you can do it.

Midge
December 3rd, 2014, 11:32 PM
Thanks for sharing your news, Barb. Better than you feared, eh? You are fighting a valiant fight and are an example to us all. Please know we think of your struggle and wish you the best.

MRoy
December 4th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Thanks for letting us know Barb. I'm sending good thoughts and prayers.

Ginny B
December 4th, 2014, 01:09 AM
Glad to hear that the diagnosis isn't as bad as it might have been. Feel better and rest.

pcbatiks
December 4th, 2014, 02:00 AM
Barb.... Thanks so much for the update. You have been close in my prayers. Take good care of yourself. Sending you a big hug.

Madeforyouinma11
December 4th, 2014, 02:20 AM
Thank you for the update.. Still keeping you in my prayers.

SuzyQue
December 4th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Still praying from here. Take care of you!

Loonwatcher
December 4th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Sounds like a difficult row to hoe but also the lesser of two evils. Glad you got the lesser and I continue to send you good energy. Be well soon.

Suzette
December 4th, 2014, 08:01 AM
It's always a relief to know exactly what we are dealing with. I am so sorry you have so much on your plate right now, but it sounds like you are a fighter and will be victorious over this assault to your body. Keeping you in my daily prayers for strength, peace and healing. Hugs!!!

CarolynK
December 4th, 2014, 08:48 AM
I have been thinking about you, Barb. Sending you hugs and prayers to see you through this. No, some things just are never simple but I guess that is what makes us stronger every day. Keep going!

GrammaBabs
December 4th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Keeping positive thoughts and praying for your strength to get thru day to day.. Hug the doggies,,, flip thru the quilt books and the forum and get your rest when you need it... We are all here for you.. Be well GF... GB (Barbara Johnson)

Over40momma
December 4th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Barb at least knowing what dog is gnawing on your leg is a direction. Rest and taking care of you is important as you already know. Keeping good thoughts and prayers coming your way. Blondie is right about the extra precautions, I don't use a mask yet, but I make sure I have gloves on anytime I touch something outside my own home. (And you can find some cute ones or outrageous ones....whatever tickles your fancy. Be especially cautious when handling money....the germs on money is enough to make the CDC cringe!

SallyO'Sews
December 5th, 2014, 03:44 AM
Thanks for updating us, Barb. We continue to pray for you!