PDA

View Full Version : Could someone please explain- Pay It Forward??

Sonic
December 3rd, 2014, 10:19 AM
It's not that I can't read and I understand the concept I think.... but as a new sewer I'm afraid my desire far outweighs my sewing talent, which is still fairly non existent at this point. ;)

In the past what types of things have people sent to one another?
I can do and make a large variety of nice things, some very tasty too, but have no idea what would generally be given to a group of quilty people doing this on..well...a quilting forum.

Yes, I'll take my dunce cap and sit in the corner now....

BobW
December 3rd, 2014, 10:51 AM
Please, the dunce cap belongs to me. I have the same question, but was afraid to ask it. LOL.

I went to the Fall Forum Retreat and the neat stuff that everyone gave is beyond my scope of ability at this point, so I will be happy to see some of the ideas that come now.

Kgrammiecaz
December 3rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
I am a newbie to the Pay it Forward teams. I believe you can send anything, not necessarily something made. Fabric, new sewing toy, etc. Hopefully we will hear from the others more on how that goes.

share60
December 3rd, 2014, 11:19 AM
Do we play in our own countries?If not do you just join a group With you BobW re Please, the dunce cap belongs to me.
Seasons Greetings
Shareen

Jean Sewing Machine
December 3rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
I'm in the dunce cap corner also. What exactly are we expected to do? I don't want to commit to something if I don't understand the complete commitment involved. I love the idea of pay it forward, just not sure of what exactly it entails. Good luck to those who choose to do this.

pcbatiks
December 3rd, 2014, 11:31 AM
Hi everyone, the PIF's can be anything & doesn't have to be handmade. In the past I've sent an ornament of something a forum friend collected...... Another time I sent a small stuffed animal that was the same as a forum friends pet. If you want, you can also do random PIF's. That is what I did........ Just sending a little something to someone you were thinking of......a complete surprise and so much fun.

I have also received some wonderful surprises in the mail from forum friends. It's fun and always seems to come at a perfect time.

Sonic
December 3rd, 2014, 11:36 AM
Thanks Pam!
I think some of us were worried about getting in over our heads, but it sounds like we have nothing to be concerned about.

So guys...maybe we could start the Dunce Group PIF?? (pay it forward)- for all of us intimidated PIF newbies?
Whaddya think?

Quiltfreestyle
December 3rd, 2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks Pam!
I think some of us were worried about getting in over our heads, but it sounds like we have nothing to be concerned about.

So guys...maybe we could start the Dunce Group PIF?? (pay it forward)- for all of us intimidated PIF newbies?
Whaddya think?
Ok if you're starting a Dunce group, I'll join. I like the idea of PIF but I just can't commit to anything big right now. This sounds very manageable.

pcbatiks
December 3rd, 2014, 11:43 AM
Hey Sonic, that's why I liked doing random PIF's. Sometimes I get an idea for someone in particular & just go for it. Other ideas for PIF's......mug rugs, pin cushions, a sewing notion, almost anything...... :)

Sonic
December 3rd, 2014, 12:01 PM
Ok, the Dunce group is up for all us duncies.
(non-dunces welcome too)

Sandy Navas
December 3rd, 2014, 12:05 PM
I can just see a whole bunch of dunce caps arriving at various mail boxes around the world.

And, I just happened to run across this picture of my Li'l Bro boB while going through an old photo album:

Sonic
December 3rd, 2014, 12:06 PM
**sonic glares at Sandy while mopping coffee off her keyboard**

RiverMomm
December 3rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
Basically, you send a gift that you think the recipient will like. Enjoy the giving and don't worry if you think your gifts are too small, too big, not home made or not store bought.

Personally, I am secretly hoping for Jean's Grinch quilt but somehow, I don't think that's gonna happen.

BobW
December 3rd, 2014, 12:15 PM
Basically, you send a gift that you think the recipient will like. Enjoy the giving and don't worry if you think your gifts are too small, too big, not home made or not store bought.

Personally, I am secretly hoping for Jean's Grinch quilt but somehow, I don't think that's gonna happen.

Good luck on the Grinch quilt. She has a JJR quilt that I coveted and lusted for at the Fall Forum Retreat and I couldn't shame her out of it. LOL. She makes some awesome quilts.

BobW
December 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM
I can just see a whole bunch of dunce caps arriving at various mail boxes around the world.

And, I just happened to run across this picture of my Li'l Bro boB while going through an old photo album:

Mom,

Sandy promised she wouldn't post this pic and she did.

cyndiofthevortex
December 3rd, 2014, 01:02 PM
This is a fun and VERY casual game. And you have a full year to find something you think one of your players might like. You can even stalk them on the forum to see what kinds of things they like. Not that I'm a stalker or anything. I just mention it in case you are.

Carrie J
December 3rd, 2014, 01:06 PM
It's not that I can't read and I understand the concept I think.... but as a new sewer I'm afraid my desire far outweighs my sewing talent, which is still fairly non existent at this point. ;)

In the past what types of things have people sent to one another?
I can do and make a large variety of nice things, some very tasty too, but have no idea what would generally be given to a group of quilty people doing this on..well...a quilting forum.

Yes, I'll take my dunce cap and sit in the corner now....

Yeah, can I share your corner Leah? LOL! Had no clue, and glad you asked as well.........Ok, count me in the DGPIF! This ought to be interesting fer sure!

Sonic
December 3rd, 2014, 01:12 PM
C'mon over and sign up!
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-chit-chat/46585-dunce-group-pay-forward-sonic.html

(whaaahhaaaha- my first victim....er..um...I mean player!!.. :icon_evil: )

Carrie J
December 3rd, 2014, 01:24 PM
C'mon over and sign up!
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-chit-chat/46585-dunce-group-pay-forward-sonic.html

(whaaahhaaaha- my first victim....er..um...I mean player!!.. :icon_evil: )

...................as I rub my hands in glee! :icon_crazy:

Jean Sewing Machine
December 3rd, 2014, 01:33 PM

Personally, I am secretly hoping for Jean's Grinch quilt but somehow, I don't think that's gonna happen.You set the bar high, girl!

Iris Girl
December 3rd, 2014, 01:35 PM
I never knew the PIF were a game so to speak. I do random PIFs all the time but never asked anyone to PIF to 1 or more other people. I just send I think someone will love to someone in need and have never asked them to PIF. Oh well I guess give me a dunce cap too, I'll take the corner with Y'all.

toggpine
December 3rd, 2014, 02:23 PM
If you are looking for a good starting place to 'stalk' your victims, um, I mean friends. You might try looking in the "Groups" section under the Secret Santa Swaps for the last few years. We did some pretty intensive question answering over the last few years in there. I still go there for references when I want to send a surprise and can't remember if they liked purple or blue, etc.

There were also a few other Question & Answer threads posted over the last year or so. Some of them suggested we post the answers in the User Notes on our profiles. If you haven't done one, you might think about it.
It makes receiving "Surprise" Forum Mail a lot easier if you have posted your mailing address in your user notes too.

I see the Pay It Forward project as an intentional form of Random Acts of Kindness. With this kind of thing, you can play even if you don't sign up! You can send a little something when you find the perfect item, or whenever the budget allows, etc. and no one will mind that you did!
It's all about spreading the Happy to as many people as we can!

Sonic
December 3rd, 2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the stalking info....

**creeps off in stealth mode...**

bubba
December 3rd, 2014, 03:50 PM
**sonic glares at Sandy while mopping coffee off her keyboard**

Pat is glad she was eating crackers when she saw that!!!!

Grandma G
December 3rd, 2014, 06:20 PM

Huh!! I think it is really a pic taken of you and you photo shopped Li'l Bro Bob's picture in your place!! lol