PDA

View Full Version : Wednesdays are good for something

Blondie
December 3rd, 2014, 08:29 AM

Howdy Do, folksies!

Gosh, the story of my life; wake up looking like a dog and running late as if I had gotten scalded. Ouch! Somehow between the time I went to bed and the time I got up, I forgot that Mom goes to the City today for her monthly eye appointment. That means no time to read and get caught up again this morning. I am heading to the shower, getting presentable and oh yes, coffee to go.

I made a few periwinkle blocks yesterday using some of the Lovely line I snagged from the Iron Quilter. I had almost two full charm packs. That is more than enough for a nice size quilty. I love that fabric line! the only thing I think I would like to add to it is some yardage for borders. That's down the road. Or on my Christmas list. Oh, Dear Santa?!

Have a wonderful day, friends. Keep those in thoughts and prayers who are in need, remember to help those whose load in life at the moment need a helping hand. Don't get caught up in the whirl that December can be, and if you can't help yourself with that, keep lots of Monster Java or a full pot of coffee on hand for the duration.

Hugs, blessings and a sleepy smile to each one here.

Grandma Nan
December 3rd, 2014, 08:48 AM
Good morning
it doesnt matter how early I get up Blondie has been there first. You are just a wonder Miss Blondie. Hope all goes well with your mom's eye appointment. I'm up early this morning as i have to go for a fasting blood sugar and then drink the orange sweet stuff and sit for 2 hours to have another test. I'm not diabetic but my sugars have been a little high so my doctor wants to do another check. Here's hopin' I'm not but it is looking like I might be.

My hand (from the carpal tunnel surgery) is slowly coming along and so I am a bit restricted but I am still able to do binding so I think thats what I will do for the 2 hours I'm waiting for my blood test.
Last night we went to the Christmas party for the large group from Christian Horizons. They run 4 supported living locations in Kingston and my developmentally challenged daughter lives in one of their apartments. What a humbling experience that is if you have never been involved. Aimee has lived there for 8 years now. Those people have severe limitations/situations in life that will never ever change, yet they are so happy and excited by Christmas that you really stop and look at yourself and your problems and feel quite ashamed of complaining about anything. its like the old story when the people were told to write their worst problem on a piece of paper and put it in the middle of the floor. In turn, each person could exchange their worst problem with someone else's from the pile on the floor.. In the end, most people searched through the pile to take back their own problem rather than someone elses.

Take a minute today to count your blessings. Even if they are small, there is almost certainly someone in worse shape. Give a helping hand where you can and be someone's secret Santa.

Smile and have a wonderful day.

Mpyles
December 3rd, 2014, 08:49 AM
Good morning! Blondie it sounds like you have lots to keep you busy!

Yesterday I was feeling quite put out, put upon, and down right nasty....until I read this article...from a local college publication pertaining to a young man who lost his life in a car accident with 3 other young men... It gave me a much need reminder and perspective. Blessings to all of you today!

Remembering Cody Uber - Opinion - The Standard (http://www.the-standard.org/opinion/remembering-cody-uber/article_16de1d48-79f5-11e4-9bff-6f105642bb8b.html?mode=jqm)

CarolynK
December 3rd, 2014, 08:51 AM
Good Morning Blondie and all,

Christmas is coming and no...I am not even close to being ready but I do have some of my decorations done.

I guess we will not be hosting Christmas for Curt's family this year - they all decided to go their own way. Lots of drama right now in that family so it's probably for the best.

Update on my Mom, she went to her apartment on Sunday and demanded to have her car keys back, threw a fit and got really upset so we caved and gave them to her. She really shouldn't be driving but whatever. My sister, Karen went to check on her yesterday and found that she hadn't taken her a.m. meds (even though she said she had), left the burner and a frying pan on the stove under med heat, and hadn't had anything to drink since sometime the day before. I don't think this home thing is going to work for very long with her dementia. We have arranged services like a daily visit from a nurse and meals on wheels six days a week but am doubtful that will work since she has to clean her dishes for the next delivery. After one day, her kitchen looked like a tornado had been there complete with pans that had burned on food. She has some doctor appointments this week so we'll see how those go.

We'll just keep plowing through this and hope for the best. Hugs and prayers to all of you!

Carolyn

Bubby
December 3rd, 2014, 08:55 AM
Morning Blondie & All,

Just popping in to wish everyone a great day before I head for the shower and then off to the doctor. I may find out the results of the big test for GBS. I feel okay but I'm starting to itch again and my scalp is turning really red. Jeff says I have a couple little spots on my back.

Hugs to everyone needing them this morning....

dwil23
December 3rd, 2014, 09:16 AM
Good Morning all!

I took last night off so that I can do 3 full days of power cleaning/putting things away/getting ready for Christmas. This was the last week we are allowed to take leave until Dec 26th. DD was supposed to help each day but, as usual the best laid plans... DS car broke down so she is now shuttling him back and forth to school and she got a call to come in today for a "working interview". She really needs a job, so that takes precedence, of course. I am slowly but steadily getting my "I Spy" quilt top together. All 19 rows are assembled, first and second sections of 6 and 7 rows are put together. I started putting together the last section of 6 rows last night and will reward myself with sewing time later (if I'm a good girl and get lots done).

Nan, hope all goes well with your test. I am going to have to have the CT surgery sooner or later, too. Mary, I think about the gist of that article often. We just don't have time for other's within arm's length anymore, and it is sad. It is funny how you can have a day like you had yesterday and then get smacked up beside the head with the realization that you have it pretty good after all. Been there and done that many times. Carolyn, keeping your family in my prayers. I've never had to deal directly with dementia, but remember my Mom having to deal with her own Mother when I was very young. Bubby - you are in my prayers, as always. (((HUGS)) to all.

Hope everyone has a Blessed Day!

MRoy
December 3rd, 2014, 09:21 AM
Good morning all! Blondie, I hope your mom's appointment goes well. Nan and Mary, you are so right. If we really look around, our situations may not look so bad after all. Carolyn, good luck with your mom. I know it's a difficult time for all of you. Barb, good luck with your dr appointment. Praying you're not starting a new flare-up.

I've got binding to sew down on another donation quilt today. Binding is my least favorite part of quilting, but I do all these by machine so it's not quite so bad. I'm working on quilts now to donate in 2015. These will go to the Children's Advocacy Center and are larger than the infant quilts for the pregnancy center. I've got a little more Christmas shopping to do. Getting DH a new step ladder for his shop and the grands some Barnes and Noble gift cards so they can pick out their own books.

Happy Hump Day!

MayinJerset
December 3rd, 2014, 09:37 AM
Morning and Thanks gals for the thoughts about putting our lives in perspective - a really good thing to do especially this time of the year when we somehow get caught up in the gift giving part of the season and not the thinking and considering of others part of it. I walk with a cane and many people stop and ask if I need help, I usually don't but lately I've been accepting some help as I don't want their good intentions to me and others stopped.

Had a lot of help last night, got a ride to and back from last night's small group Pot Luck dinner meeting, one gal carried my heavy bag with my contribution to the dinner (caramel apple cake, ymmm) and another made sure I got to sit at the end of the dining table - it's easier for me to sit at the end of the table so I can get up and down without disturbing others seated next to me. This group in a great bunch of gals and we enjoyed all the food and good company.

Raining again but I don't care as I will be sewing this morning and this afternoon food shopping and errands. Need to look for a small inexpensive gift for the kids (6 or more) who will be at Sunday's lunch. My sisters, brother and our families are meeting at our parent's and youngest brother's grave to lay an evergreen blanket down. We say some prayers for them and other family and friends who have passed and also welcome any new family. We'll have a catered lunch later at the home of one of our nephews. We always meet on the first Sunday in December and for me it is the beginning of the Christmas season, time to stop and reflect on the past and to extend love and friendship to others.

Hope everyone gets good results from their doctor's appointments and other medical stuff.

Mom23
December 3rd, 2014, 10:18 AM
Good Morning All,

It's a busy day for me. I'm heading out to pick up quilts from my LAQ. I was sewing so much at one time I've forgotten how many she has for me!

Next I'm going to the hospital to visit my aunt. She has Down Syndrome and is such a blessing in my life. I'm taking her the walker I had purchased for my grandma, and has been sitting in my attic since she passed away 2 years ago. Sheila will be getting out of the hospital and going to the nursing home today. Hopefully just for a week or two. She had a UTI, then a severe allergic reaction to two different types of medicine. Hopefully she won't be there long.

I'm volunteering at the hospital today from 10:00-2:00. This is a new endeavor for me and I'm really looking forward to it. I've decided I can't sit in the house sewing all day, I need to be around people.

I am participating in a Pay it Forward with Cyndi and have opened my own. I've been bumped to the second page so take a look if you're interested. I have such an overflow around here I can't wait to share with others!!!

I woke up thinking of Peggy Ann this morning. I hope she had a good night and is beginning to heal quickly.

Blessings,
Robin

songbird857
December 3rd, 2014, 10:26 AM
Morning all -
Blondie - hope that eye appt. goes well.
Carolyn - ohhhh I feel for ya sweetie! My FIL thinks that hot showers help his gout and itchy skin - well, he will take 3 (or 4 or 5) in one day - um... not good for itchy skin... particularly here in the Northeast where the humidity is like ZERO right now. Now, sometimes he is just sticking whatever body part needs fixin' at the moment under the hot shower (getting lots of water everywhere...) but yeah. this wasn't good. Sooooooooo I started shutting off the hot water from the main, and telling him he could take ONE shower per day - make it a good one. (Also got him a humidifier for his room, which works great when he doesn't shut it off, just like his room is warm and toasty when he doesn't cover the vent ;))
Anyway - I digress - So, this past week FIL has been waiting until everyone is sleeping, or if I run out for 20 minutes to pick up my daughter, and goes downstairs into the laundry room and turns the hot water back on so he can take another shower ------------- GUESS WHAT DOOR JUST GOT A LOCK THIS MORNING???????????? Hugs to you Carolyn - I understand.
So, today I will hopefully be sewing; after I clean up the mess in there :) Have a great day everyone!

Monique
December 3rd, 2014, 10:28 AM
Good morning dear friends.

I attended our Lionettes meeting last night. Did not solve the world problems but helped a few in our community. Tonight we host our Christmas Cheer dinner for the seniors.

Also last night our secret sisters were revealed. Mine loved her zig zag Christmas table runner and it turns out she had my name. New ones picked for 2015.

I bought a bird feeder yesterday and would love to get that set up today. I have always wanted one.

Have a wonderful day friends.

Blondie, I hope all goes well with your Mom.

Madeforyouinma11
December 3rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
Good morning everyone.
Blondie, good luck with mom at the doctors. Barb, good luck at your appointment.
Well, last night I was finally able to sandwich the woodlands quilt. I'm about a week behind but at least I can get it quilted today and hopefully ready for binding. I will work on it all day until it is done....I hope..lol
I also sewed the binding onto the front of the 3rd fleece/flannel throw that I need to finish. Started the hand sewing but only do that for a couple of hours before I go to bed so hoping to get that done by the weekend.
I need to do my Christmas decorating. I'm usually done with that by now. Oh well, no stress, it'll all get done...it always does.
We are getting ready to bring a new little one home on Saturday... We adopted a puppy! We've been wanting to get Benny, our black lab a playmate. His name is Fenway, and he is a dachshund mix. He will be 11 weeks on Friday. I'm so excited and cannot wait to bring him home.
Here is a pic of our new baby.
Hope everyone has a great day..prayers going out to everyone who needs them.

Navy Wife
December 3rd, 2014, 10:33 AM
I'm cleaning today ,and working on Grace's little quilt. Did some quilting yesterday and started putting the binding on. Then decided it needed more quilting. Just a little in the corners.
I'm asking for your prayers today. Knoxville had a school bus accident yesterday. A teachers aide and 2 little girls were killed. Four more injured enough to still be in hospital. Two buses collided and one turned over. The kids are all K thru 3 on one and slightly older on the other.

What a precious pup!

Linda

songbird857
December 3rd, 2014, 10:40 AM
We've been wanting to get Benny, our black lab a playmate. His name is Fenway, and he is a dachshund mix. He will be 11 weeks on Friday. I'm so excited and cannot wait to bring him home.
Here is a pic of our new baby.
Fenway = ADORABLE!!!!!!!!! Love the name (I went to Boston Latin Academy when it was located by Fenway :))

Over40momma
December 3rd, 2014, 10:49 AM
Morning all :icon_wave: Sending good thoughts to those heading for doctor's visits for themselves or loved ones. Carolyn, my heart goes out to you sweetie. It is hard to know what to do in a situation where dementia is involved. Cil, that sweet pup just melted my heart.
My procrastination tendencies are getting me into a bit of hot water. Really need to keep my lists going and check off what needs to be done. It does feel great at the end of a day to see all those little checkmarks. :lol: Kids are having a rough patch as Christmas comes closer. They are missing their Grandpa so much. Sending them this weekend to see their Grandma and hoping that being all together will give that little extra emotional support for each other. Nothing fixes life like a Grandma's hugs!!!!
Have a great day everyone and sending you all a :icon_hug: because you make my day just that wee bit brighter.

Amy R
December 3rd, 2014, 11:00 AM
Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear about the dementia in your relatives. I hope my parents don't succumb to that. It's another dark grey day outside, but Im hoping warm enough to go outside even for a few minutes.
I'm behind on mama's quilt, need to get some done on that today. Sew sew sew!!!

Fenway is sooooo cute!!! Puppy pictures are so cheerful!!
Hugs and prayers for you all.

Here's a little poem I found on my Facebook from the perspective of an Alzheimer's sufferer.

wlrquilts
December 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
Good morning everyone. First time I have posted in the morning thread. I retired this week from a job I had for 34+ years. I hope to be more active on the boards.

I am going to be making some thank you cards for the gifts I received from my co-workers today - will be a good day to do as we are getting some snow, sleet and freezing rain here in Vermont today.

Robin, I am hoping to do some volunteering in my town down the road, because as much I am looking forward to the extra time to quilt, I know I am going to miss the people contact.

I definitely say my prayers for all, but especially for the children injuried/killed in the school bus accident and their families.

As I am a huge Boston Red Sox fan, love the name of fenway for your puppy.

Have a great day and keep safe if you are out and about in bad weather.

Sandy Navas
December 3rd, 2014, 11:26 AM
Amy, that poem says so very much. I have so much empathy for everyone who is going through issues with a parent or loved one. I've done that. It is never easy and sometimes tears at your heart because we just weren't prepared to understand what has happened to their minds.

Still have the prayer lines open - seems there are so many who need a calming hand on their shoulder right now.

Nothing special planned today - sewing, sewing, sewing. Working on a special COC quilt and hope to get the top done today.

And remember: The best views come with the hardest climb to the top.

ravelim
December 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
Good morning everyone. Today I'm going to finish the FMQing on DD Christmas quilt and hopefully start the binding. I was working along yesterday and all of a sudden I hurt so bad I had to stop. Thankfully I only have one more built to FMQ nd bind. Then I need to make 2 totes and we're done. Yippee
Cute puppy. Prayers for all. Medical problems can be frightening. My mother had dementia problem but was in the nursing home. It breaks your heart to watch them. My thoughts and hugs to Carolyn.

Barb, good luck. Hope it's not a flare.

Have great, amazing,wonderful day.

CarolynK
December 3rd, 2014, 12:04 PM
Amy, that poem says so very much. I have so much empathy for everyone who is going through issues with a parent or loved one. I've done that. It is never easy and sometimes tears at your heart because we just weren't prepared to understand what has happened to their minds.

Still have the prayer lines open - seems there are so many who need a calming hand on their shoulder right now.

Nothing special planned today - sewing, sewing, sewing. Working on a special COC quilt and hope to get the top done today.

And remember: The best views come with the hardest climb to the top.

I second what Sandy said. Amy, that poem is just what I need today. You're right Sandy, no I didn't ever plan for this but it is what it is and I just have to plow through it as best I can. Thank you all for the kind word, hugs and prayers.---Carolyn

Cfrankl
December 3rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
Happy Wednesday

So sorry for all your issues with your relatives, getting old is no fun at all

I am working on a quilt for my brother right now, a queen sized made of Camo fabric, really not my style, I would like to just throw it under the bed and start on something much more fun, but hubby says I can't start anything else until I finish this one, he know I have been procrastinating about it

Well Happy Wednesday, good thought to you all, stay warm

Claire Hallman
December 3rd, 2014, 01:53 PM
That is one cute puppy. I know you will enjoy him as they bring such joy into our lives. :D
Our 6 mo old puppy is finally calming down a bit but she gets spooked by new stuff. The Christmas tree stand startled her yesterday, she barked at it for quite a while but once the cat got off the top of it she settled down. We will see what happens shortly when we bring in the tree. lol

Dealing with parents with memory problems is so very hard, you want them to be the people they were but that will not likely happen again, being patient takes lots of efforts but it is the only way. Laughing sometimes helps, too.:)

Carrie J
December 3rd, 2014, 02:07 PM
Morning All....... In reading the morning posts, I realized my bad day yesterday was of little significance! My heart goes out to all that are under heavy burdens, health issues, and the care of elderly parents. Amy, your poem had great meaning! Special prayers for a lot of folks that posted this morning!

As always, there is always a ray of sunshine that breaks thru on this thread, namely Fenway! AWWWWWW! Dachsies are just the best, and they always steal away your heart from the get go!

Taking BFF for her first post-surgical follow up. I'm hoping the Dr's office won't be backed up, yeah, a girl can hope right? Then grabbing a bite to eat before heading home. The day is dark and dingy today, and I really need my sunshine, so when I get back hone, will mess with the cuddle fabric.............hopefully my sanity remains intact. Yes I do consider myself sane, well, most of the time anyway! Sincerest of Hugs and Blessings to all, and especially those that need them.

toggpine
December 3rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
Hi!

We had a pretty good day yesterday.
Hubby and I went in for the review of Em's testing that was done by the school. They have to test her every three years to see if she still needs services that fall under the specialized education division. We know there will be some somewhere as she has bilateral hearing loss and wears hearing aids.
This time they found that while she excelled at some of the math stuff, anything that involved expressing reading comprehension she was falling behind in. It is sort of like one of those revolving doors. Lots of things can get in, but if you want to let some things out, it has to wait to catch the right spacing of the door, or it gets stuck. We are slightly stymied as to how to fix it so there can be an In and an Out door. The school had every right to pull her math help, as she fell solidly in the 'average' range for her peers nationwide. They didn't. They discussed it and felt that with the new Common Core in place that there is so much reading and writing involved in math, that she would suffer there. The good news is that in one section of the testing, the kid scored nearly off the chart. The school team has put together some good recommendations and we are very hopeful that with continued support, we can keep her on track with her peer group. We aren't afraid to keep her back a year if she needs it, but so far, with the extra work, she's doing OK.
I didn't have as successful day in the sewing room, but I did get some things tidied up in there.

I'm off to run a few errands and then hopefully get back to it this afternoon. I'll be much happier when the weather warms to above freezing, so I can stop hauling water by the bucket to the livestock!

Good wishes, hugs, and prayers for those who need them, and really who doesn't?

Have a good day and put a smile on somebody! Cathy

Simply Quilting
December 3rd, 2014, 03:18 PM
Good Afternoon! Sunshine and warmer today. Which is good because I want to go get the Christmas tree out of the storage unit. I had hoped to do it Monday but it didn't work out to do it then. After it gets put up, I am hoping to press open the seams of the blocks that I sewed yesterday. Then I can start cutting them into quarters. We have activities at church this evening so I doubt that I get them laid out for a quilt today. Hopefully, I can get them laid out and sewn sometime tomorrow. I need to get them to the long arm quilter early next week.

Hugs and Prayers to those who need them.

Have a good Wednesday everyone :)

quiltingtrish
December 3rd, 2014, 11:44 PM
How cute is Fenway!
I hope everyone medical tests are done for today and went ok. I have all you in my prayers.
Dementia - not for the faint-hearted. I can imagine how hard that is to take care of someone with that diagnosis. My Aunt had Alzheimers and my Mom had Parkinson's - those were hard enough too.
DD Katie finally heard today that she has been assigned to an aircraft repair school. She starts monday with the bookwork and once she finishes that they see how well they do and then assign her to a specific craft - either jets or helicopters. We are excited for her as she has been in Pensacola for 8 months waiting to be assigned. She will probably be down there for another year to finish the school before she gets assigned to the fleet somewhere.
She said she will get to come home for a few days for Christmas so that's nice, we can't wait.
Well, it's that time again to wrap the day up so I can get enough rest for tomorrow.
Prayers coming -