PDA

View Full Version : Good morning Sunday!

RFREE
August 21st, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hello all my quilting buddies. Despite it being a very pleasant morning I am in a bit of a mood this morning. I have just lost ,yet another, nurse friend to cancer and the very next day I got a phone call about another friend ;the one that wen to the paducah quilt show with me in April; She just found out she has breast cancer. I am so sick and tired of hearing about people getting cancer.Makes me sick to think people work hard all their lives and to be taken out be cancer. Just makes my blood boil.Unfortunetly it has become as common a word as anything you hear on a daily basis.Why can't we do something? This has to be stopped.I know we have all this technology today but why can't we prevent it instead of treating it once you get it? Anyway I am just aggravated that's all. Thanks for listening. Sorry to be such a winy butt this morning. You all have a wonderful Sunday. Hugs
Rhonda

Loonwatcher
August 21st, 2011, 09:59 AM
Rhonda, sorry to hear about your friends. I know how you feel. Cancer is such and ugy disease. You would think we could beat it. Praying for your friend.

donnah818
August 21st, 2011, 10:21 AM
So sorry for the loss of your friend. Cancer does seem to be everywhere.

janluna
August 21st, 2011, 11:05 AM
Rhonda, I'm so sorry for your loss and for your friend that just found out she too has this disease. I'll be praying for your friend to get the attention she needs and for her to beat this horrible disease. There are a lot of survivors of breast cancer on this site. We will just lift her up in prayer to be healed.
I haven't slept yet and it's 10 A.M. I just can't seem to relax enough to drop off. Oh, well maybe I'll work on my machine today. As long as I can focus and not sew my fingers into a quilt. lol
Hoping everyone has a relaxing Sunday with friends and family. Hugs, Jan L.

sally
August 21st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Good morning...I hear you Rhonda. My SIL is going for tests this week for lung cancer. Round two. She beat it on one lung 8 yrs ago and no they have found it on her other lung. SHe lost two sisters to the same dreaded disease. She is being very optamisic but iI worry for my bro as he really loves her and is reallly scared.
My mom is visting this week. She is 90 years old and still on her own. Came by bus ( 7 hr trip) and is here to take a driving test. Personally I think that if she was able to drive tuntil 90 she should be happy with that but her drivers lic says 2 more years and by heavens she wants to drive to then. My brother and I would like her to sell her house and move closer to him. THey are closer and I think it would be good for my brother. It is hard though...she has been in this house the longest ever and has a good network of friends there. Best if she found an apt but she is a stubborn Scot so...
Anyhow my prayers go out to those who need them. Jan nice to see you...Hugs to you sweetie!
Quiet day...going to see if my DH can make me a quilting table for my machine:)

bec
August 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend, Rhonda. Cancer is horrible and it is no respector of persons. It can happen to young and old. Unfortunately, genetics plays a huge role in it. Also, we live in a toxic world that mankind has created and we are going to be sick from it. The best we can do on a personal basis is try to eat as healthy and chemical free as possible, get daily exercise, and last, but certainly not least, pray.

I pray your friend joins the many survivors of breast cancer.

janluna
August 21st, 2011, 11:57 AM
Thank you Shauna, I will keep your SIL in my prayers. Love You, Jan

Sandy Navas
August 21st, 2011, 01:11 PM
Rhonda, we're all feeling your pain - I can't even count the number of friends I have on my prayer list who are being treated for cancer, have had cancer, or are looking at testing for strange happenings and are scared. Adding your dear friend.

Blessings to everyone today!!

NM Lady
August 21st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Rhonda, so sorry to hear of your friends. My Dad passed away from cancer also. It is a mean disease and so many kinds.

I went to the quilt shops yesterday and purchased "Fight Ovarian Cancer with a Bundle of Hope" fat quarter bundle. You create a mini quilt, donate it to Inspiration Guilds Bundle of Hope. Part (I think) of theProceeds from the purchase of the bundle go to ovarian cancer research and also they will sell your quilt and those proceeds go to ovarian cancer research. I haven't researched this as much as I should, but that is the info on it at this time.

The only problem I have is I don't know what size a mini-quilt is and not sure what pattern you would use for a mini-quilt. Hope I figure it out.

Everyone have a wonderful Sunday. Working on a Dresden plate today!

Sandy Navas
August 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
The only problem I have is I don't know what size a mini-quilt is and not sure what pattern you would use for a mini-quilt. Hope I figure it out.

At a recent quilt guild meeting we were told that a mini-quilt can be anything from 24" square to 36". Hope this helps you. Did your FQ Bundle come with any instructions? I'd just assume that every piece of FQ I could use would produce a quilt the right size. How many FQs in a bundle?

bambine007
August 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM
Dear Rhonda, I'am so sorry for your lost and for hearing that another friend has this terrible desease.
I lost a lot familymember to cancer. My thoughts are with you

NM Lady
August 21st, 2011, 03:45 PM
At a recent quilt guild meeting we were told that a mini-quilt can be anything from 24" square to 36". Hope this helps you. Did your FQ Bundle come with any instructions? I'd just assume that every piece of FQ I could use would produce a quilt the right size. How many FQs in a bundle?

There were 6 fat quarters in the bundle and no instructions for a mini quilt. Thank you for the size info! That helps a lot.

Mimis-quilts
August 21st, 2011, 05:01 PM
Ronda, sorry to hear about your friends! As nurses we see this illness on a daily basis and we know the pain and suffering that the patient endures and the heartbreak that the families face. And because we are nurses we need to educate others to live a healthier life. It's unfortunate that the people we love refuse to listen to us until it's too late. But we must continue on. Prayers for your friend with the new diagnosis, prayers for you, and prayers for those you've lost.
Ronda, we are all friends here, you don't have to apologize for venting. Venting helps our hearts to heal.

sewmuchjan
August 21st, 2011, 06:34 PM
Rhonda I agree with Mimi Pat. But we all have done things in the past that we didn't know would hurt us until sometimes it was to late. And some folks that never smoked or anything and they get cancer too.
But I do think that there could be some cure that will take care of this Big C, we have been doing enough research on it for years and all the money invested something should be out there by now.

Prayers for all & hugs for all.

Monique
August 21st, 2011, 08:28 PM
Rhonda, sorry to hear about your loss of one friend and the diagnosis of the other. I am a breast cancer survivor myself. Prayers are coming your way.

meemeecyn
August 21st, 2011, 09:52 PM
Oh, Rhonda. So sorry to hear about the losses you are dealing with. It hurts to feel the pain. But you are smart to express your feelings...telling others lessens the burden. Take care, Quilting Friend.
Cynthia

quiltingtrish
August 22nd, 2011, 12:56 AM
Rhonda, I'm so sorry to hear about your friends. I agree with everyone else - all the research and still no cure? I think there's something out there, but imagine the loss of money if the cure was put out there. I'm just saying . . .

Prayers for your friends are coming. I have quite a few friends that has had the dreaded disease.

Hugs,

Txgrandma
August 22nd, 2011, 04:55 AM
Rhonda your friend is in my prayers. I lost a very good friend in April to cancer, she kept going to the doctor not feeling well and was never diagnosed with anything. Then finally about a month later they started running some tests, she was diagnosed on Wednesday and Friday morning that same week she died. It had spread so much they couldn't tell where it originated but it was already in her liver. I think everyone has been touched by this ugly disease in one way or another, all we can do is pray for them and be there for them for support and love. While you are there for your friend we will all be here for you.