PDA

View Full Version : Cookies, Cookies and more cookies . . .

BobW
December 3rd, 2014, 01:07 AM
We had a great day. My ex-wife Darlene and her daughter Darla were my enablers today.

93986 93987
This is the icing This is Darlene. She iced the cookies

93988 93989
This is the dough, it is very stiff. The first pan ready to bake.

93990 93991
More ready to bake. The messy kitchen counter.

93992 93993
The mighty KitchenAide Mixer. The light cookies are baked.

93994 93995
More baked cookies. Darlene and Darla.

Darla did the candied fruit in the food processor and measured. I mixed, dropped the cookies and baked them. Darlene iced them, put them in the containers.

vchale
December 3rd, 2014, 01:11 AM
They look yummy! Quite a production line. Enjoyed the pix.

BobW
December 3rd, 2014, 01:12 AM
Lebkuchen Cookies

German Cookie that improves with age.

1 Pint Molasses
1/2 lb Brown Sugar
1/8 lb Butter
1-1/2 Orange (juice and rind)
1-1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Soda
4-5 lbs All Purpose Flour
1 cup Mixed candied fruit
1 cup Chopped Pecans

Bring the molasses to a boil, and add the brown sugar, butter and baking soda. (Cook in a large pan, the mixture will foam up when you add the baking soda). Allow the mixture to cool.

In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, cloves, salt with one cup flour.

Using a food processor, chop the candied fruit into small pieces. Also grind the oranges in the food processor.

Pour molasses mixture into a 5 quart mixing bowl (I use a Kitchen Aide mixer with a dough-hook). Add the spice and flour mixture, the chopped fruit and the pecans and begin mixing. I have also stirred the batter by hand. Use a good strong spoon, because the batter gets very thick. Continue adding flour a cup at a time until the batter is the consistancy of very thick biscuit dough. You can turn the dough out onto a floured board, knead and roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut the cookies with your favorite round cookie cutter; or use a cookie dipper (Like a small ice cream dipper) to drop the cookies on lightly greased cookie sheets. Then take a flat bottomed glass, dipped in flour to press the cookie out to 1/4 inch thickness.

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes. This will make approxamately 86 cookies rolled or 60 cookies dropped.

Icing

3 cups Powdered Sugar
7 tsps Boiling water
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice

Mix all together until smooth. Ice tops of cookies, using a pastry brush while still warm.

When completely cooled, store in metal tins, with layers of wax paper between them.

Carrie J
December 3rd, 2014, 01:31 AM
Holy Cow Bob, talk about a production line!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe as well and great pix!

GrammaBabs
December 3rd, 2014, 01:59 AM
WOW Bob,,, I love to cook and bake,, but That's a lot of work.. good thing you had helpers!!!!

Sylvia H
December 3rd, 2014, 03:05 AM
Oh yum! I went to visit my sister and mother today. Sis was baking cookies! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Have you ever frozen them after baking?

stationarymom
December 3rd, 2014, 03:21 AM
They look great!

MayinJerset
December 3rd, 2014, 07:01 AM
Big production line really paid off with all those cookies ready for gifting, our place must have smelt wonderful while they were baking.

share60
December 3rd, 2014, 07:05 AM
Thank you for sharing you have a great team
Seasons Greetings
Shareen

marsharini
December 3rd, 2014, 07:50 AM
They look yummy, thanks for the recipe. I love trying new recipes - I made pecan shortbread cookies yesterday from a recipe I found online. They turned out great. Hope these do as well. Doesn't hurt to have helpers. My only help was my taste tester husband and that was no help at all!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 3rd, 2014, 08:10 AM
Great production line! I'll bet the house smells great today!

Blondie
December 3rd, 2014, 08:31 AM
Oh Bob, they are not the only enablers . . . YUM!

We had a great day. My ex-wife Darlene and her daughter Darla were my enablers today.

93986 93987
This is the icing This is Darlene. She iced the cookies

93988 93989
This is the dough, it is very stiff. The first pan ready to bake.

93990 93991
More ready to bake. The messy kitchen counter.

93992 93993
The mighty KitchenAide Mixer. The light cookies are baked.

93994 93995
More baked cookies. Darlene and Darla.

Darla did the candied fruit in the food processor and measured. I mixed, dropped the cookies and baked them. Darlene iced them, put them in the containers.

CarolynK
December 3rd, 2014, 08:41 AM
Those look yummy!

GlendaM
December 3rd, 2014, 08:44 AM
They look yummy!!! I love to back, I may have to give those a try. My daughter and I love to spend the day baking together. :)

Bubby
December 3rd, 2014, 08:57 AM
You had a regular cookie factory going there, Bob. I can imagine how yummy your kitchen smelled all day!

BobW
December 3rd, 2014, 10:57 AM
Sylvia,

Yes they will freeze and thaw well. I have never frozen them, but my MIL would freeze them so she could have them through the year.

BobW
December 3rd, 2014, 10:58 AM
Babs,

You are so right. I couldn't do it by myself anymore. I can't stand long enough. But they are so good.

BobW
December 3rd, 2014, 11:03 AM
Barb,

The kitchen smells so good, you are so right. I laughed about that. I am known as a cook and baker in the apartment complex, and I will add that ALL the Nit-Wits are great cooks and bakers.

My neighbor across the hallway came into the building and stopped at my door and knocked. She said what are you cooking in there? I asked her in and she took a few cookies home with her. So I had people coming to the door because the cookies smelled so good! LOL

Sandy Navas
December 3rd, 2014, 11:30 AM
That's why I saw all those people lining up on the highway - they were on their way to boB's place!