PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Greetings

Blondie
December 2nd, 2014, 07:52 AM

Hello and Happy Tuesday, Folksies!

do you ever feel as if you have been entered into a race without being told? That is kinda sorta how I feel this week - most likely until the New Year. I keep telling myself that I didn't lose last week, that the warm fuzzy glow of being with special folks was worth all the stuff that goes with guests. I also keep telling myself that I don't need extra sleep, I can complete everything if'n I just stayed awake longer. And of course, we all know the feeling that if'n we just had some extra $$, we could solve everyone's problems, because if you have enough money what would you be racing for? So, when I saw the above picture, I realized, all I need is coffee. I can get everything done and still rule the world with a good pot of coffee. Oh, don't jump in my head; it is a scarey, squirrely place to be sure . . .

Blessings, hugs and loads of SMILES to everyone here. Special Prayers for those in need of them.

Off to find that coffee pot and also my scepter.

Sonic
December 2nd, 2014, 08:46 AM
[SIZE=3][COLOR="#4B0082"]

Hello and Happy Tuesday, Folksies!

do you ever feel as if you have been entered into a race without being told?

Hey...that describes my life for the last 10 years!! :D

And yep, the fully leaded kind of java does wonders for the caffeine tank. Too bad ya gotta re-fill every morning.....

Bubby
December 2nd, 2014, 09:00 AM
Morning,

Our weather is calming down today. I have nothing on my agenda except heading for the bed when Jeff leaves for work.

Wishing everyone a fantastic day.

Mpyles
December 2nd, 2014, 09:16 AM
Morning! Seems the days get crazier and crazier......off to try to maintain my sanity....

Grandma Nan
December 2nd, 2014, 09:23 AM
Good morning Blondie and all- I was sucked into this fantasy that once I retired that all this would calm down and I could leisurely prepare for the magic of Christmas. Not true. This month is a blur and now I belong to more organizations there are more things to prepare. Also because I'm retired I can do shopping for other people and prepare the Christmas dinner celebration for 25. So I think it doesn't get better and guess what- I LOVE IT ALL. Every moment, every get together and every frustrating minute. This is the best time of year and then I go to Florida. Keep on, it will be worth it and SMILE.

MayinJerset
December 2nd, 2014, 09:23 AM
Good Morning, Blondie you aren't alone feeling rushed around this time of the year, we all do. Added to the regular rush for me is DGD C's wedding on the 28th. Well, I have my outfit (one that I wore to another DGD's wedding 3 yrs ago), new shoes, bought the shower gift and today I'm getting a perm so most of the wedding details have been taken care of. All DH has to do is have his suit pressed.

Baking a bundt cake this morning to bring to tonight's small group's pot luck. Need to find a box/bag for my Christmas grab bag gift. The eight of us will have a good time eating and discussing the all the books we've read this year.

Coffee time, so everyone have a good day.

CarolynK
December 2nd, 2014, 09:32 AM
Good Morning Blondie and all!

Yes, I feel the race and I try not to let it stress me out! So much to do and with working full time, it makes for very busy days. Some shopping I do online but most is done in Wichita which is about 50 miles away so I really have to plan when I go in to town for the day. I love the holiday season and everything that goes into it.

Still trying to get my tree skirt quilted but had to walk the fur kids last night and get dinner so my energy for the day was done by then. Maybe tonight.....

Hugs to all and prayers to those that need them.

Carolyn

Amy R
December 2nd, 2014, 10:38 AM
Morning!! I finished the plus sign top yesterday and am digging up a pattern for the flannel fabric bundle mama bought for me. It's for a boy baby quilt. So far no inspiration has struck yet.
Baby is doing ok, she's in a growth spurt so she's hungrier and tired and about the same rambunctiousness. This morning she woke up crying, saying the spiders were after her. What!!!??? I told her dreams can't hurt her it's not real. I'm really worried she's got the night terrors thing. She's due for a checkup anyway so it'll definitely come up.
DH is trying to keep his sanity and blood pressure down (he's on meds already) networking about the stupid water heater.
I guess it'll add character, boiling water on the stove for dishes and washing lol. Like the old days?
It's a little grey and dreary outside today. It doesn't look like that's going to change for the week.
I did take our new Christmas tree and put it up, not decorated yet but it's a pre lit one we got at 90% clearance from Joann's last year. It works and so I'll have my monochromatic tree and the kids can do the multi light/deco one when they get here.
It's cheery. I just need to finish my runner today so I can hang it up.
My parents report they are extremely busy especially my dad upon retiring. He's in so many groups and such that he's had to cut down. I'm urging my mom to join her local knitting club so that she'd hopefully get the same awesomeness I have with this forum.I just wish that they lived closer!
I found this pic the other day on my Facebook it's hilarious.

Monique
December 2nd, 2014, 10:53 AM
Good morning. Rushed? Who isn't.

I straightened out my sewing room yesterday but it still needs lots of work. At least I can move around and not bump into things. I finished off the xmas zig zag table runner for a gift tonight.

A little more sewing today is on the agenda. I have a dinner meeting tonight and then tomorrow night we have our Christmas Cheer dinner. The Lionettes provide a Christmas dinner to single and lonely seniors each year. We should be feeding about 120 or so people.

Off to do some work.

Have a great day everyone.

songbird857
December 2nd, 2014, 10:53 AM
Morning hugs to all :)
Gotta get my cleaning and sewing mojo moving after I make a run to the grocery store! Spent a nice Thanksgiving weekend at the timeshare. Unfortunately, a nasty bronchial, germy, snotty, raspy, can't sing, blowin' crud outta my nostrils... THING came to visit me. Finally feeling a bit more normal today so I'm gonna push, but not too hard as it is lingering a bit.
I will enlist the help of one DD to get the house in order cuz I WANNA HAVE A CHRISTMAS PARTY!!!!!!!!! Years ago when the kidlets were kidlets, I drug (past tense of drag - let's be clear that I did not medicate them) them around to aunts and uncles, nana and papa, yada yada yada on Christmas day. Then one year I had an epiphany - my mother NEVER left the house on Christmas day - smart woman with 6 kids. Now, I only have two, but I decided to adopt my mother's wise idea. So I started having a Christmas open house because it's not that I don't want to see people on Christmas, I just don't want to be the one traveling. So I invite EVERYONE, and whoever shows up - great! Nothing fancy - sandwich fixings, desserts, veggies and dip, whatever strikes my fancy, appetizers, etc.. all prepped in advance so I can just sit and enjoy my company - play games, sing songs, whatever!
Guess I better go start cleaning ;)
Have a great day everyone!

GrammaBabs
December 2nd, 2014, 10:57 AM
:),, and for the "older bunch",,, has anyone else thought of the fact that CAFFINE is an ingredient in ASPRIN and a wonderful "pain reiliever"...:))))... That's why it's such a kick start for me!!!! The JOINTS,,, don't ya' know... Off for quilting day... Yippee!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
December 2nd, 2014, 11:12 AM
Good morning, all! The roads cleared here by about 10 am. No new ice! I did spend quite a long day in the Sewing Dungeon finishing the quilting and binding on a plus sign quilt and my queen Grinch quilt. Now I'm making pillowcases for the bed it will reside on using the leftover fabric. I have two more D9P quilts that need borders and finishing so I hope to get them finished today. That's about it from here!

Amy, indefinite cold showers because of the broken water heater does not sound at all fun! I'm thinking of you guys and hoping you can find a way to get it fixed soon! Cold showers in winter are no fun!

Have a great day!

ravelim
December 2nd, 2014, 11:17 AM
Hi everyone. I'm on the last two Christmas gift quilts. That's 6 plus 2 extra ones I threw in. Whew. I love doing them but was a bit worried about getting them done. I'm getting there.

Blondie,I m a java junkie ,too. In fact, our DD had a little coffee shop names java junkies, with a tag line of "espresso yourself". It was a great shop.. she decided she needed to go back to teaching. Good call , she's a tremendous teacher.

DH got our Christmas tree up. I love it ..so pretty. We also have a beautiful wreath with snowmen and lights and a sign saying snowman collector that DIL gave me as a gift a few years ago. Wonderful. She loves snowman design as well as I do.

Has anybody seen Wendy lately?

Hugs and prayers for everyone. Have a great day.

Over40momma
December 2nd, 2014, 11:29 AM
Morning all. :icon_wave: Coffee in hand (almost always glued there) and trying to find the ambition to start the day. Seems after I get the kids off to school, hubby off to work, I am ready to go back to bed rather than do much. :lol:
The grey days of winter have begun. :icon_sniff: With -17C it looks like I am going to stay indoors as much as possible. Brrrr. Good excuse to head back to the basement and work on some more projects.
Have a great day everyone and if the sun is not shining.....smile, it will add all the light you need.

Simply Quilting
December 2nd, 2014, 11:37 AM
Good Morning!!! It was a short night. Yesterday I cut out squares for two quilts. Then starting sewing both sets and got the first step of sewing done for the D9P. I sewed til about 3AM this morning, went to bed tired but not sleepy so I laid there til about 4AM when I finally fell asleep. So after less than four hours of sleep I am seeing a nap in my future. I am hoping to get the first set of seams ironed opened, sew the blocks together, and press open the seams on the blocks. Maybe even get the blocks cut and laid out for the quilts today.

Yep, Blondie at times I have felt like I have entered a race that I never signed up for. There have been weeks that if it was not for my calendar, I would have never been able to keep track of where I was suppose to be when. The interesting part is many times, the running is not for me but someone else in the family. I have tried to slow down and enjoy life. It has worked most of the time but then there are those crazy, busy weeks.

It is sunny and 18 degrees this morning which is warmer than yesterday at this time. We are suppose to be on a warming trend til after Monday.

Have a great day everyone :)

BobW
December 2nd, 2014, 11:49 AM
Well I'm going to be baking today. My ex-wife and her daughter (from Alaska) are coming today and we are going to be making my MIL's Lebkeuken (sp?) cookies. It took my MIL two days to make a batch of these wonderful German Molasses cookies. I worked on the recipe and using my food processer and Kitchenaide mixer with the dough hook have made it a half-day process. My step-daughter wants to learn how. I get the cookies ready to go in the oven and put them in. My ex-wife takes them out and ices them and gets the cookie sheet ready to use again.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Cfrankl
December 2nd, 2014, 12:01 PM
Trying a different brand of coffee....not so good

Very hard to go make a quilt when you don't like what you are making. My brother has asked for a quilt made out of Camo fabric, I have had the worst time deciding on a pattern, finally did, Camille Roskellys Framed from her Simply Retro book, but I just don't like it so it is hard to want to work on it. Hubby says just go get it done and out of the way

Sandy Navas
December 2nd, 2014, 12:02 PM
boB, your kitchen must be bigger than mine!

Fun night at the guild last night. Came home with a quilted bag from our silly exchange. Li'l Sis went home with the wall hanging that she'd made (she sure wanted it back). This exchange was where you take turns, pick a gift, the next person can take it from you or pick another . . . three time 'steal' and you keep it. Some gifts never get stolen. My Mr. McFlurry Long-Legs was stolen three times and finally went home with someone who loves him. Catered meal was 'okay'. The best thing was the pulled pork BBQ.

Off to finish up a quilt top I have started. Sis may be up with a quilt to put on the long-arm. Life is good.

Loving Amy's cartoon and hoping that she soon has hot water. Why do all these things fall apart when the funds are stretched?

Mom23
December 2nd, 2014, 12:08 PM
Good Morning,

The carpet cleaning crew is here now. I can't wait to get my furniture back in place so I can get back into my sewing room. I'm having withdrawals!

I went through my cabinet yesterday and I have 6 kits. Those will be the first items I want to get completed. Wish I would have looked sooner as one is a Christmas quilt.

Blessings to all. I know it's a busy time for all, but take a little time for yourself each day to just sit and be thankful for your blessings. I'm trying real hard to do that when I pray before my Advent Wreath each morning. I'm only on Day 3 and I already forgot yesterday. I'm trying!

Blessings to All,
Robin

BobW
December 2nd, 2014, 12:14 PM
Trying a different brand of coffee....not so good

Very hard to go make a quilt when you don't like what you are making. My brother has asked for a quilt made out of Camo fabric, I have had the worst time deciding on a pattern, finally did, Camille Roskellys Framed from her Simply Retro book, but I just don't like it so it is hard to want to work on it. Hubby says just go get it done and out of the way

I so feel for you. I had a quilt I made for my ex-wife (and we get a long now) and she picked the fabric. I just couldn't get into. She had picked two fabrics and I went out and bought a third fabric and was able to at least get it finished. It turned out better than I thought it would. Just keep plowing on through.

BobW
December 2nd, 2014, 12:16 PM
boB, your kitchen must be bigger than mine!

Fun night at the guild last night. Came home with a quilted bag from our silly exchange. Li'l Sis went home with the wall hanging that she'd made (she sure wanted it back). This exchange was where you take turns, pick a gift, the next person can take it from you or pick another . . . three time 'steal' and you keep it. Some gifts never get stolen. My Mr. McFlurry Long-Legs was stolen three times and finally went home with someone who loves him. Catered meal was 'okay'. The best thing was the pulled pork BBQ.

Off to finish up a quilt top I have started. Sis may be up with a quilt to put on the long-arm. Life is good.

Loving Amy's cartoon and hoping that she soon has hot water. Why do all these things fall apart when the funds are stretched?

Sandy,

My kitchen isn't all that large. We just get it set up in a assembly line type process. We are doing just short of 400 cookies today. Each batch makes 96 cookies. It will be fun. And the cookies make great gifts.

meemeecyn
December 2nd, 2014, 12:22 PM
Yes, Blondie and all my other quilter friends......a cuppa right next to me. A morning pleasure (not to mention need!) every morning!

The holiday rush is upon us! I am going to try and slow down, enjoy the process and not stress. As I get older, that does become a bit easier....the body just can't keep up as well!!! :)

Am trying to make handmade things for the grandgirls.....knitting sweaters and now working on a sewed bathrobe. Made one for her older sister last year and she refers to it as a "bath-gown" as it is long and flowing. The magical mind of a child is wonderful!

Glad to see you are doing better, Barb. Will send you a note real soon. What an ordeal you are experiencing.

Keep on, keeping on....all you lovely peeps!
Cynthia

stitching woman
December 2nd, 2014, 12:35 PM
Sandy,

My kitchen isn't all that large. We just get it set up in a assembly line type process. We are doing just short of 400 cookies today. Each batch makes 96 cookies. It will be fun. And the cookies make great gifts.

Bob are you going to eat all those cookie?

Sandy Navas
December 2nd, 2014, 12:42 PM
Bernice, he'll probably have half of them gone before they get the icing on them . . .

EnumclawGramma
December 2nd, 2014, 12:42 PM
Good Morning! It is SO cold here and I'm dealing with wet firewood and it's a pain to keep it going! It is a beautiful morning though, blue sky, crisp and cold. The snow's still out there, but the roads seem fine. How many weeks till Spring?

Tomorrow I hang out with my 5 Grands so today is housework day! I'm hoping to get a little time in the sewing room, door closed, heat on.....HEAVEN!!

This month is going to fly by! Our Anniversary is the 14th, our family Christmas party is the day before. That's the middle of the month and it's just around the corner! I may need an extra week in this month if anyone has one to spare?

Barb, praying for you.....please take good care of you. ***HUGS***

Off for another cup of goodness, have a wonderful day! Hugs/Prayers for all in need.....

Carrie J
December 2nd, 2014, 12:44 PM
Morning All! Chilly day yesterday and even chillier today we just hit 32, ugh, wish this weather would make up it's mind warm vs cold! Waiting for coffee, if not arriving soon, looking for the life preserver! Gray, dark and dingy again here today, don't do well without some sunshine. Have to run BFF over for post-surgery Xrays, then tomorrow, first post-surgical exam. THEN, I can settle back in and get with the program. Was hoping I'd get some goodies in the mail yesterday, but didn't. Maybe it's best, as today and tomorrow are spoken for. BUT when they do get here, I'll be happily cutting fabrics! Amy, I sure hope your water heater problems are resolved soon! Bob, I'm impressed with the baking, especially molasses cookies! Sandy, tickled that Mr. McFlurry Long-Legs was such a hit! Leah, yeah, why didn't we come with a "caffeine button"? LOL! Ahhhh, hear the Hubs yelling coffee so am off to get the day started. Hugs and blessing to all, and especially those that need them!

BobW
December 2nd, 2014, 12:54 PM
Sandy and Bernice,

Realistically some of the cookies will never live to see the inside of a tin. But these cookies are better once they sit and age in the cookie tins. Plus I will use some of them for gifts to the Nit-Wits.

I'll try to post some pics of the process as we go through it.

songbird857
December 2nd, 2014, 02:05 PM
Someone please find this seller so I can buy my tree from them...

toggpine
December 2nd, 2014, 03:08 PM
I went to the library and sewed with the ladies yesterday. I made some progress on the Tulip purses I cut out for gifts. The pattern claims that you can make one in 2 hours. Apparently, I'm not that talented!
I'll get back to the paper-piecing torture today. I really want Dad's quilt top done. I don't have the whole day to myself today. We have a meeting at the school to discuss Em's special-needs status. Then we will head to Tacoma for the "Santa Party" @ Dad's longshoreman's union hall. I still can't figure out why they have it on a Tuesday night, but whatever.

I'll also have to go out and defrost the couple of water buckets that don't have tank heaters. The critters need their water even when it's freezing.

I'll go top off the coffee cup and then get down to it.

BobW
December 2nd, 2014, 03:21 PM
Bernice, he'll probably have half of them gone before they get the icing on them . . .

Silly Sandy!

The icing is the best part, you ice the cookies while they are warm and then eat them!

Mom may have loved you more, but she taught me about cookies.

Carrie J
December 2nd, 2014, 03:26 PM
Bob, could use some of the cookies right now.........seems like today's going to be the second Monday of the week!!! I need COOKIES!

songbird857
December 2nd, 2014, 05:53 PM
Bob, is the recipe a secret or can you share? I think cookies made with honey AND molasses are the best cookies on the planet!
Is this close?? (it only makes 3 dozen...) http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/German-Lebkuchen/

Sandy Navas
December 2nd, 2014, 06:02 PM
I think Bob's waiting until HIS cookbook is published.

Blondie
December 2nd, 2014, 06:14 PM
Bob must be up to his elbows in yumminess about right now.

BobW
December 2nd, 2014, 08:01 PM
Bob, is the recipe a secret or can you share? I think cookies made with honey AND molasses are the best cookies on the planet!
Is this close?? (it only makes 3 dozen...) German Lebkuchen Recipe - Allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/German-Lebkuchen/)

It is similar. I'll post the recipe when I put up the pics of the process of making the cookies.

BobW
December 2nd, 2014, 08:02 PM
I think Bob's waiting until HIS cookbook is published.

I would never hold recipes back on you Sandy. I'll post it. And it won't be my cookbook it will be everyone's who sends in recipes. I have just always wanted to do a cookbook. Ya know it's on my bucket list. LOL

Sandy Navas
December 2nd, 2014, 08:40 PM
Ahh, now you've started it . . . anyone else want to know what's on his bucket list???????? Inside scoop!!!

Carrie J
December 2nd, 2014, 09:03 PM
Ahh, now you've started it . . . anyone else want to know what's on his bucket list???????? Inside scoop!!!

Sandy, dare we ask? LOL! :D

BellasQuilts
December 2nd, 2014, 09:27 PM
Good afternoon all. Stayed home from work today with a painful stye in my eye. Doc said I could have got from being overworked and stressed - Ya got that right! Have drunk my obligatory pot of coffee today (clicks mugs with Blondie) and am enjoying the quiet. We got some much needed rain today. Think we got an inch. Hoping we keep getting more of this wet stuff - any you don't need, send our way please. Christmas will be quiet this year I think. Not going to buy a ton of gifts this year. Just one for each DD and SIL then for the grandkids who are too small yet to really "get" the whole present thing. Reagan has an idea but next year should be real fun for him with Santa cookies, etc. Princess Sloane is 4 months now and will steal your heart. Just the opposite of her big brother - she has dark hair with red highlights and blue grey eyes that pierce right through you and a smile that could melt even the Grinch's ole heart. If I knew how much fun and love I would have with and for my grandkids I would have insisted DD#2 started sooner. LOL.

Getting back into some quilting now and loving the hum and the buzz and the "zone" - missed it immensely these past couple of months.

Well, sending hugs to all my quilty buddies here and hugs and prayers sent out daily for them as need them.

Megan