PDA

View Full Version : Fruit Cake?

GlendaM
December 1st, 2014, 10:08 PM
Do you like fruit cake? I love fruit cake!!! I love the white fruit cake! I know that it is a LOVE, HATE kind of thing. So do you LOVE it or HATE it???????

alliek
December 1st, 2014, 10:09 PM
I am the anomaly in my family, I Love Fruitcake!

dwil23
December 1st, 2014, 10:12 PM
Mrs Harvey's White Fruitcake - LOVE it.

Hhhmmm. don't know if I will get to make any this year or not.

oh, and EXTRA walnuts and pecans, please!

buckeyequilter
December 1st, 2014, 10:14 PM
I like it....don't know if I would go so far as to say I love it, but I don't hate it.

Carrie J
December 1st, 2014, 10:17 PM
Freshly made, then aged in brandy, Grandma Berlin's recipe from eons ago, you betchya. AND, have a great fruitcake cookie recipe. Store bought, ehhh, not so much! Those we'd use for curling on the Thurston pond in Upstate NY, LOL, seriously! Annual Fruitcake Curling contests!

carolynrae
December 1st, 2014, 10:22 PM
Love it here too.

JCY
December 1st, 2014, 10:52 PM
I love fruitcake, but I don't dare eat it any more due to borderline Diabetes.

DCM
December 2nd, 2014, 12:06 AM
I love my grandma's fruitcake - my mom and I are the only family members who still make it. It's good in the morning with coffee for breakfast or at night with a nice cup of hot tea.

Sandy Navas
December 2nd, 2014, 12:19 AM
Love it - love two special kinds - the one that my Momma used to make with candied fruit bits, cut marshmallows, graham cracker crumbs, and sweetened condensed milk was so good.

BUT, an aged fruit cake? El Primo!! Let me explain. While living overseas, a friend was gifted a beautiful fruit cake. We used to get together quite often for pot lucks and this fruit cake was always brought to the party. It was covered with a white fondant and little trees and packages molded from marzipan. It was a work of art. But no one would claim to love fruit cake so it was always left behind. At the end of a night of party, the fruit cake was placed back in it's box and stored in the freezer of the hostess. I would venture to say that I wouldn't be lying if I said this cake make the rounds, month after month, for SEVERAL YEARS! Yes, in and out of the freezer, put on the dessert table, uncut, untasted, unloved. And eventually the cake wound up in my freezer and the friend who originally brought the cake had long since departed, and we were due to leave soon.

So, Al and I decided that instead of throwing the cake out (remember it had probably thawed and been refrozen dozens of times) that we would at least see what was under that beautiful fondant cover.

And the cake was utterly fantastic. Absolutely perfect - tasty, oh, so wonderfully tasty. And we enjoyed that aged cake because it was so perfect.

My favorite though, has to be rum balls and it's time to get them made so they can age before Christmas.

Angelia
December 2nd, 2014, 12:25 AM
My fruit is soaking now--I don't like fruitcake but both my husband and son-in-law do. I make small loaves and freeze them to pull out all year long.

K. McEuen
December 2nd, 2014, 12:50 AM
is g r o s s.

Hulamoon
December 2nd, 2014, 01:14 AM
is g r o s s.

lol

I haven't had it since I was a youngster, so I don't know if I like it or not. I'm not going to go buy one though because it does sound gross. lol

snippet
December 2nd, 2014, 01:15 AM
no to fruitcake Yes to nutcakes!

pcbatiks
December 2nd, 2014, 01:19 AM
Thank you, Karen! I thought I was the only one! How in the world can fruitcake taste good.......it has fruit in it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gag me......yuck.......gross...........bleh.........gu ess you could say that I don't care for it. And fruit salad.....oh barf!!!! :D

share60
December 2nd, 2014, 01:56 AM
Love fruit cake yum yum

Hulamoon
December 2nd, 2014, 01:58 AM
Thank you, Karen! I thought I was the only one! How in the world can fruitcake taste good.......it has fruit in it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gag me......yuck.......gross...........bleh.........gu ess you could say that I don't care for it. And fruit salad.....oh barf!!!! :D

One off my dd's won't eat fruit salad either, she doesn't like them touching each other. lol

K. McEuen
December 2nd, 2014, 03:21 AM

That candied fruit shouldn't even be called fruit. I love fruit, just not that stuff, or fruit cocktail, or pears.

laura44
December 2nd, 2014, 05:18 AM
Won't touch it, hate the candied fruit!

goofyizzy
December 2nd, 2014, 05:30 AM
I prefer Stollen. It is a German fruitcake that is made from a rich yeast dough. It is not as sweet as the American type fruitcake. Maybe I should bake some up this year.

Vonnie
December 2nd, 2014, 06:48 AM
They make great door stops. :D

Iris Girl
December 2nd, 2014, 07:32 AM
I love homemade fruitcake, seems I have misplaced my family recipe, does any one have a good one they would share?
Also love stollen.
Hate store bought fruitcake.

shirleyknot
December 2nd, 2014, 09:08 AM
I love my own homemade old-fashioned dark fruitcake. And so do most people who have tried it. Must be the rum. Other fruitcake; kind of ok, but I don't LOVE it.

marsharini
December 2nd, 2014, 09:35 AM
Fruitcake is the butt of a lot of jokes around Christmas - but I love it!

amartin24
December 2nd, 2014, 10:08 AM
Our sweet neighbor, a very elderly widowed gentleman, always sends us a fruitcake each year from an online company. A very thoughtful gesture, but I don't like fruitcake at all! So, each year I ask my Mom if she wants it. She gladly accepts it. Must be that generation of folks that really like it? - it's just not for me.

Grandma Nan
December 2nd, 2014, 10:15 AM
My mom and I make an awesome old fashioned fruit cake full of real fruit not candied and packed with nuts. No rum or brandy in ours (moms a teetotaler) but it is moist and wonderful. We didn't make it this year as mom is too sick but it was a favourite tradition we used to do together. As far as a store bought cake- don't like it. They are too dry,cakey and not enough fruit.

Vonnie
December 2nd, 2014, 10:36 AM
My mom and I make an awesome old fashioned fruit cake full of real fruit not candied and packed with nuts. No rum or brandy in ours (moms a teetotaler) but it is moist and wonderful. We didn't make it this year as mom is too sick but it was a favourite tradition we used to do together. As far as a store bought cake- don't like it. They are too dry,cakey and not enough fruit.

Not a big fan of candied fruit. But, I do like real fruit. WW has a recipe with mandarin oranges in it that is delicious!

Any chance you could share your recipe? :icon_drool:

BobW is in charge of a recipe book for M* bet he would love the recipe also to include it in the book.

Cathy F
December 2nd, 2014, 10:45 AM
No fruitcake for me.... please!!

NanceeCee
December 2nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
Love it! Don't make it every year because too many people don't like it so I have to eat it. bummer (LOL)

Claire Hallman
December 2nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
I am not wild about bought fruit cake but love fruit cake cookies.
The baking competition on the cooking channel had a challenge on how to reimagine a fruitcake. All the bakers ended up making some sort of bread pudding with it, they all sounded really good to me.

I have a recipe for a different type of fruitcake, it has just got candied cherries, nuts, applesauce plus flour, etc. It is frosted with a cream cheese/white chocolate icing, boy howdy is it good. I only make it every few years since it is a huge cake and we really don't need to eat all that much cake.

shirleyknot
December 2nd, 2014, 12:48 PM
Not a big fan of candied fruit. But, I do like real fruit. WW has a recipe with mandarin oranges in it that is delicious!

Any chance you could share your recipe? :icon_drool:

BobW is in charge of a recipe book for M* bet he would love the recipe also to include it in the book.

If you soak that candied fruit in warm water for a couple hours and drain, it is VERY much improved. Then add whole dates, mandarin orange segments and walnuts or pecans. Makes the cake moister and more flavorful, without the "hard" bits.

Amy R
December 2nd, 2014, 04:47 PM
I've never had fruitcake. Gasp!
My friend made me a rum cake that would make the pope sin. I've never loved a dessert so much in my life. Her grandmothers recipe!

Iris Girl
December 2nd, 2014, 04:53 PM
I've never had fruitcake. Gasp!
My friend made me a rum cake that would make the pope sin. I've never loved a dessert so much in my life. Her grandmothers recipe!

Oh yeah I make rum cake that would get put in jail if you drove after having that. My son usually asks for that for his birthday. I change the rum sometimes, light, dark, spiced to switch it up.

IBake
December 2nd, 2014, 05:32 PM
I don't like normal fruit cake, but I make a pecan Christmas cake that is to die for. It has candied cherries as the only fruit, then LOTS of pecans in it. Even my hubby who would rather eat sand likes it...

songbird857
December 2nd, 2014, 05:47 PM
No fruitcake for me. There is also a Portuguese type of fruitcake called King's cake - much drier - really don't care for that either!
Plenty of sweets I DO love at Christmas though ;)

kensington
December 2nd, 2014, 05:59 PM
Collins Street Bakery Fruit Cake... is wonderful. My mom and granny used to make it, but I never have. I do enjoy a really good slice at the holidays. None of that packaged stuff you get at the grocery store or Walmart though. My mom used to make Rum Balls, and four kinds of fudge. My aunts made cookies and my granny's made divinity. Depending on which house you went to, you could enjoy any number of Christmas treats. Including from scratch Egg Nog my mom and granny made. My mil makes Pumkin Bread, peanut butter balls and coconut balls.

Topsy's Popcorn is another standard thing you would see around the house at Christmas time. We always got one of their Popcorn balls in our stockings growing up. I make a Popcorn cake to give out to the kiddies that come when we have our open house.

vchale
December 2nd, 2014, 06:33 PM
The only one I like is a recipe from my MIL. It has candied cherries, pineapple, pecans, dates and raisins, NO citron. The cake batter is just enough to hold the fruit together, has to be baked slow in pans lined with brown paper and waxed paper. Glad to share if anyone would like it. Will last a long time in the refrigerator.

sassygranny
December 2nd, 2014, 07:20 PM
I love it! My mother always made one right after Thanksgiving and soaked it with rum or brandy for the weeks leading up to Christmas. Slicing into it meant Christmas had finally really arrived! There's one made in Texas that is almost as good as those were - Collin Street Bakery does 'em.

sewluvit
December 2nd, 2014, 07:55 PM
I love fruitcake but a lot of people don't. We used to make our own eggnog too as someone else mentioned, way better than commercial eggnog lol, another thing my kids liked was pound cake and cherry loaf at Christmas.

mpattylou
December 2nd, 2014, 09:06 PM
Can't say I love em....but my SIL sent us one from a bakery in Texas...Collin Street Bakery...and it was the best fruitcake i ever tasted. Sorry Mom! Mom had a family recipe that she made for years. Very few of my siblings and I (13 of us) would eat it...so it lasted for a long time. Mom would have a slice with a cup of coffee about mid-morning. She baked it in an angel food cake pan that she lined with a brown paper sack. That thing weighed a ton. She always put some of Dad's home made wine in it.
I was in a store last week and near the check-out there was a display of the store-bought type fruitcakes. Three 20 somethings were discussing them...and commenting that they had never tasted one before. They ended up buying one..wonder if they liked it?

beckiedaisy
December 2nd, 2014, 11:19 PM
I like it now not when I was small. but I only like the kind that made not bought. I maed some and gave them away to people who didn't like them and they did like what I made. I think it was because it couldn't use it as a door stop LOL luv the question.

BobW
December 2nd, 2014, 11:43 PM
Love is such a strong word. I can eat it and enjoy it, but I don't go out of my way for it.

There is a local DJ on the radio here that suggests there is only one fruit cake in the entire world and people just keep re-gifting it over and over. LOL

ren29
December 3rd, 2014, 01:05 AM
I love homemade fruitcake, seems I have misplaced my family recipe, does any one have a good one they would share?
Also love stollen.
Hate store bought fruitcake.

Try Alton Brown's Free Range Fruit Cake.

I don't like fruitcake but I make it every year for my Dad. My Grandma used to make him one every year for his birthday (which happens to be Christmas Day) but I couldn't get the recipe from her before she passed. Every year I make one large enough to share at Christmas with family but he always hides it so he doesn't have to share :lol: My family doesn't care for the strong rum and brandy flavor produced from following the recipe exactly so I soak the fruit in half rum, half apple juice then I baste sparingly with a mixture of brandy and apple juice.

Several of my Dad's siblings love fruitcake and rave about this one. All I know is that I would LOVE for Yankee Candle to make a candle that smells like the fruit/sugar/juice/spice mixture as it simmers. Amazing.