PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather Dog owners?

Slokarma
December 1st, 2014, 05:07 PM
My mini schnauzer, Moose, is now 1 year old and he is different from the Rotties and shepherd I've had, so I'm at a bit puzzled by his behavior lately.

Does your dog's needs change when the winter comes? Since I've changed our habits, I'm not sure whether it's our new routine or it's natural or he's not feeling well. We've been taking a walk...about a 1 mile and some...and when we come back home, he's so mellow and tired. and is perfectly happy to crash somewhere warm near a heat source and stay there for a while (and I can sew) If that's what I should expect, whoopee! I'm in the country and he has about 5 mowed acres to run and explore on, so does a walk calm a dog that much?

He's just went from the butt wiggling, nosey, cat torturing Moose, to this mellow creature that I don't recognize. He starts the day that way, but now after the walk, he's DIFFERENT! He's eating and drinking water, but, for example, I actually left the house to get the mail and he did not leave the bathroom where he laid on the rug while DH was taking a HOT HOT steamy bath before he left for work and then, he laid on the rug and watched DH go out the door without making his usual fuss....he was laying in front of a small heater tho.

SO, I'm wondering about a smaller dog in the winter and coats and such, or should I be making that call to the Vet?

Carrie J
December 1st, 2014, 05:19 PM
As a member of the Terrier breed, Mini's are perfectly content in cool/colder weather with a brisk walk, then flopping and luxuriating in their warm home. I have a Boston Terrier. When it's warm outside she s a bundle of energy and zooming like crazy. The smaller breeds are bred purely for companionship and act as an "early warning" system for their families. So I wouldn't worry too much about Moose. If he's good on his feed and water, he's probably just cooling his jets due to Winter. And face it, he's now a year old...........that too has an impact. If my Bostie is comfy where she's laying, she's all about just watching what I'm doing. Unless I peel a banana, I swear that dog can hear you peel a banana from 500 ft! They all have their little idiosyncrasies, LOL!

Slokarma
December 1st, 2014, 05:30 PM
I'll say. I just ate an apple with peanut butter and he didn't even come over and stare at me! That worries me! (But it was nice!)

songbird857
December 1st, 2014, 05:33 PM
My Cairn is now 11 months old and I can see some of the puppy rambunctiousness mellowing a bit. She napped in her crate for much of the morning - but she is willing to play if I initiate it. I definitely notice that she likes blankets now that the weather is colder, whereas before she really wanted no part of a fleecy warm blanket.
I would be concerned if you absolutely can't get her to play at all; but if she is eating and drinking ok, and not resisting her walks, I wouldn't panic.

Carrie J
December 1st, 2014, 05:40 PM
My Cairn is now 11 months old and I can see some of the puppy rambunctiousness mellowing a bit. She napped in her crate for much of the morning - but she is willing to play if I initiate it. I definitely notice that she likes blankets now that the weather is colder, whereas before she really wanted no part of a fleecy warm blanket.
I would be concerned if you absolutely can't get her to play at all; but if she is eating and drinking ok, and not resisting her walks, I wouldn't panic.

Cairns ROCK! :D such coool pups! Sis has one and what a character!

Vonnie
December 1st, 2014, 05:45 PM
As a member of the Terrier breed, Mini's are perfectly content in cool/colder weather with a brisk walk, then flopping and luxuriating in their warm home. I have a Boston Terrier. When it's warm outside she s a bundle of energy and zooming like crazy. The smaller breeds are bred purely for companionship and act as an "early warning" system for their families. So I wouldn't worry too much about Moose. If he's good on his feed and water, he's probably just cooling his jets due to Winter. And face it, he's now a year old...........that too has an impact. If my Bostie is comfy where she's laying, she's all about just watching what I'm doing. Unless I peel a banana, I swear that dog can hear you peel a banana from 500 ft! They all have their little idiosyncrasies, LOL!

That's funny that you should mention bananas! Our border collie lab mix loved bananas! The Vet told me to only give him one bite though. But every time I had a banana he insisted that I share with him. My DH could eat a banana and that did not bother him. But, if DH ate crackers he had to have his share. No matter how quiet DH was getting into the crackers our dog would know it even if he was all the way downstairs!

Simply Quilting
December 1st, 2014, 06:47 PM
I agree with the others that he is probably fine since he is eating and drinking. Growing out of the puppy stage calms them down plus a cool brisk walk helps wear them out. Do watch out when it becomes colder that he is not getting too cold on the walk. And of course, the salt/sand on the paws.

Our border collie/lab who is two years old sure doesn't waste time outside right now with it being cold. She does what she has to and wants back in.

shirleyknot
December 1st, 2014, 07:07 PM
Little dogs often outgrow "puppy" sooner than big dogs too.

Bubby
December 1st, 2014, 07:11 PM
Our Girls are totally spoiled but they were raised in California and now live in Missouri where the weather can be brutal. I take extra care of their feet and remove ice and snowballs that attach to their skirts and between their toes. Sometimes I stand them in the utility sink with about an inch of warm water to speed up the job. If it's extra brutal outside they get a treat of warm broth when they get back inside. What can I say....Dottie & Olive have trained us well!

IBake
December 1st, 2014, 09:07 PM
We are a schnauzer family and have owned all the sizes and now have a giant and a giant/irish wolfhound mix. If you are keeping him clipped in the schnauzer mode, he will feel the cold weather more. We always put a coat on our dogs when they go out in the cold. Our little ones would walk then come in and look for the warm areas, whether in the sun or on warm clothes or in front of heaters. I think the walk takes the oooomph out of them. Even our standard acted like that.

I wouldn't worry, but I would make sure that he is warm when he goes out, tho. My vet encouraged us to get coats-she said it is like you going out with no clothes on. Makes sense when you think about. Greta Garbo used to bring her coat to us when she wanted a walk....frayzer the standard, liked his coat, but wouldn't pee with it on and we would have to rip it off so he could go...<<<shaking head>>>dogs. They make you laugh...

songbird857
December 2nd, 2014, 12:38 AM
Cairns ROCK! :D such coool pups! Sis has one and what a character!
:D She is awesome and funny and smart! She literally flipped over on her back when my daughter came home the other day as if to say - 'ok... time to rub my belly'...

Gina
December 2nd, 2014, 01:40 AM
I have two mini's one is 9 and the other is 12. They usually have the same personalities year round. They do get cold during the winter months if outside very long. I would suggest a sweater or coat when you take him out for a walk. I also leave their coats (hair) a little longer in the winter months. I hope moose is feeling better soon!

jjkaiser
December 2nd, 2014, 01:56 AM
No need to go to the doctor espec if your dog is eating. My dog is a German shepherd mix and I think part beagle). He is 5 yrs old got him as a puppy. I have always taken him out for a 1-hour walk, well mon-fri anyways. When we get home he eats and then crashes pretty much the rest of the day. I have a group of friends and we meet daily, we all have dogs and let them run off leash, the dogs love it. There's about 8 people and sometimes 10 dogs in our little "pack." My dog is pretty furry so have never used a sweater or coat. I live in Wis. where it gets really cold. Ten degrees this a.m. we only skip the walk if the sidewalks are very icy. I think your dog is perfectly normal!!

Guess you can tell. I love dogs. If I didn't have a husband I would probably have 2-3 more dogs.

bubba
December 2nd, 2014, 02:47 AM
We had a dog named Cooper, the cairn. If there was snow on the ground he would stay out in it for hours and then some! He expected you to make and throw snowballs for him to chase, which of course he did not ever find. He would put his nose down in it and plow around the yard like a bulldozer. I've never seen a dog who loved the snow as much as he did.

lmanna
December 2nd, 2014, 12:36 PM
Dogs are so good at hiding pain, etc. Personally I think any time you notice something with your dog is different...it IS different and finding the root cause is the key. Every time I go to the vet with my dog one of the first things my vet asks is if she's acting normal. Sounds like yours is not acting like his normal self. If I were you I'd make a phone call to the vet for his/her professional advice....and to ease my mind.

Heather
December 2nd, 2014, 01:03 PM
had mini schnauzers in our house when I was growing up. Moose has perhaps started to mature and wants to be a more of a warm snuggle bug. But, it seems like you are concerned because he is displaying a lack of interest in things (peanut butter, member of the household departing) that would normally cause him to interact with you in some way. A sudden change in his behavior would concern me, too. Is it only after the walks that he is like this?
a mile walk is kind of a long one for a year old puppy, especially if it's daily. I would cut back on the distance and/or frequency and see if it makes any difference. I only take our 8 mos. old pup for walks every 2 to 3 days. More time in between if the last walk was a longer one. Walks seem to tire our pup more than just romping in the yard.
Side note - a circus could perform in our house before our 6yo terrier mix will rouse himself from his bed, any time of year!

tamsterg7
December 2nd, 2014, 10:04 PM
Our soft coated wheaten terrier is a menace to everything, but after a walk, he crashes and sleeps like a newborn. Makes the walk worth it for sure, cause he is the definition of no-no bad boy!

SF Jen
December 2nd, 2014, 10:48 PM
A soft coated wheaten is the best!! We had one for 13 years and still miss him. If you know of anyone who has puppies (owners of dogs who have puppies, of course), please let me know.