PDA

View Full Version : Pieced Out in the Tree

toggpine
December 1st, 2014, 04:37 AM
The first day of December is going to find this Night Owl wrestling with the paper-piecing blocks for her dad's quilt. Ugh!

It seems pretty straight forward, and I get the general idea after watching the tutorials. It is just so 'opposite' of what I'm used to doing when piecing! I have already sewn in one piece backwards and cut the seam allowance clean off on another! I WILL get it though.
I may hold off taking this project to the library with me tomorrow. It needs full concentration & I'm not sure that would be possible with all of the chatting that goes on there.

Therefore, the rest of the evening/morning may be devoted to some quilt yoga on the living room floor and getting the SnowDay ... SewDay quilt sandwiched & basted so I can quilt that tomorrow. The backing fabric took the dye very well and looks really nice. I can say that the white 100% cotton thread from Connecting Threads dyes true to the rest of the fabric in question.

Have any of you ever started on a new technique and wrestled with it more mentally than physically? I think that is going to be me and paper piecing!

bubba
December 1st, 2014, 05:56 AM
Paper piecing was a challenge. I took a class down at Ruby Street that was the Feathered Star by Quiltworx/Judy Neimeyer that was taught by Linda Tellesbo. I recently learned she died the beginning of November, so sad and such a loss. Anyway, it was a two day, 16 hour class and we were told we should get at least one round done the first day....ha!! I got two small sections done.

Well, that night I went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night...ah ha!!! It came to me! I got up the next morning and started sewing and got two whole rounds done in a matter of a couple of hours!!! The others soon followed. Unfortunately, I still have to finish sewing all the sections together.....that was quite intimidating for me.

So when I say, you too will have that ah ha moment, trust me, you will!

Iris Girl
December 1st, 2014, 06:11 AM
once you get your ah ha moment, it will be fun. I love paper piecing! well except for tearing the paper off.

DeniseSm
December 1st, 2014, 06:12 AM
I am still wrestling with paper piecing mentally. I have struggled through two projects and still not had my ah ha moment. I'm not giving up though. I may be a slow learner, but I get there eventually.

It is one of the few times quilting actually made me cry. I actually had ripples on the cloth side of one piece, while the paper side was perfectly flat. Threw that one in the trash and started over the next day.

MayinJerset
December 1st, 2014, 06:17 AM
I'm not a fan of paper piecing - haven't done it in years because it took too much time and fabric and I always hated the blocks when they were done. Only thing I did like was the one chicken block I did from Quilters Cache, never used it in a quilt but have it on the wall behind my sewing machine desk.

4 am here and up with a sore throat, DH said to gargle with Listerine but I can't seem to allow the liquid far enough back to gargle it where it's supposed to go, maybe the little that trickled down my throat will do some good. I think a nice hot cup of tea will do me much more good. Do any of you have an old cold remedy that works for you? What ailment is it best for, head cold, sore throat, cough, congestion, etc.?

bubba
December 1st, 2014, 07:06 AM
The doctor told me the best over the counter medicine was Tylenol Cold. I use either that or Mucinex. We also run humidifiers all winter long. When I get really congested, I take the Vicks into the bedroom along w/a heavy pair of socks. I smear the Vicks in a thick coat on the bottom of my feet, put on the socks and lie down. I know it sounds weird, but believe me, it really helps with the congestion and you can actually taste it. Somehow it absorbs into your body and travels thru it. Works better than putting it on your chest.

Blondie
December 1st, 2014, 08:00 AM
Hi Cathy,
Paper piecing is one of those things that you either love or hate. And it's true, once the Aha! moment hits you, if you are like me, you are over it. I like to paper piece certain blocks but as with our May, have never completed a full quilt doing it.
Tearing the paper is easier if you use scrap pad paper or construction paper that has been trimmed to fit your printer. PP is the only way I can get really exact and sharp points. I did a huge NYC Beauty block one time. That was lovely and was turned into a wall hanging for one of my cousins.
I suspect you prefer your hair on your head.

Hugs

Bubby
December 1st, 2014, 09:03 AM
Paper piecing often seems like way too much work than it's worth, but for a special block here and there I think it's okay. I dislike the whole paper/ripping/printing/etc part....I guess I don't like paper piecing!!

Sylvia H
December 1st, 2014, 09:41 AM
It is a challenge! I think the results are pretty awesome, though. Those terrifically sharp points that you can't get any other way!

I started a 9 month class, but only lasted 3 months. I didn't see the purpose of going each month once I knew the technique. The quilt still has to be finished. I am currently finishing a Christmas Tree wall hanging that is paper pieced. I am also making (trying to make) little 2.5" square ornaments that are also paper pieced. Ei Yi Yi!

kimsophia
December 2nd, 2014, 06:16 PM
I am still wrestling with paper piecing mentally. I have struggled through two projects and still not had my ah ha moment. I'm not giving up though. I may be a slow learner, but I get there eventually.

It is one of the few times quilting actually made me cry. I actually had ripples on the cloth side of one piece, while the paper side was perfectly flat. Threw that one in the trash and started over the next day.

Good for you for putting it down and coming back the next day. I swear, sometimes in my sleep I must figure things out because the next day I can accomplish what I could not the day before. Good luck! Sounds like a tricky new technique!