PDA

View Full Version : Happy Last Day of November!

toggpine
November 30th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Good Morning forum friends!

I'm working hard to find something good about being awake at this time of the morning. The little Miss had tummy trouble, and now I'm trying to convince myself my queasiness is just a sympathetic response.
We had a nice afternoon yesterday. We picked up the two boys (Son & Grandson) and went to my mom's where we hung her Christmas lights. From there, we traveled to the new BassProShop and poked around, after which we went to dinner. (I'm thinking that is where the tummy trouble originated.)
We had a good visit with the boys and Mom's yard will sparkle with all of those twinkle lights. Not quite Clark Griswald, but she wouldn't mind if it were a bit closer to that!

I guess that since I'm up I should get the tea kettle on and make a cup of peppermint tea. While I sip that I could either flip through the billion and one TV channels with nothing on, or dig around in my fabrics for the right ones to finish Dad's quilt. I need 18 scraps to make parts of the boats. (Dad was a longshoreman before he retired. I found a paper-pieced pattern for a boat that I tweaked to look a bit more like the freighters he used to unload.) I'll do two of the 20 blocks to look like Coast Guard cutters in honor of his service. Each ship has distinguishing markings on either the hull or smoke stack. Since I'm NOT micro-piecing the logos of the different shipping companies, I'm going with different colors and patterns for the effect. I'm about half-way there with finding the fabrics. I need them to have variety, but not look like a rainbow.
I wouldn't be in such a rush to finish this for Christmas, but he strongly hinted that he wanted a quilt. He goes to dialysis three times a week and he gets cold sitting there for 4 hours or so. I was going to make him a COC, but found the ship pattern while flipping through an old quilting magazine at the library. The rest is history. I am going to set it in a Storm @ Sea pattern. I hope it works out like I think it will in my head!
Hmmm. I guess I have made my decision. Tea & fabric it is.

I certainly hope you all find something worth smiling about this last day of November!
Hugs and prayers to all!
Cathy

CarolynK
November 30th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Good Morning, Cathy,

What a great project for your Dad and I'm sure he will love it. I would love to see pictures!

Hubby put up Christmas lights yesterday and I am almost finished with FMQ on my tree skirt. It was a nice warm day here so I got outside in the afternoon for a walk with the dogs.

Have a family dinner today so won't get much done on my tree skirt but hopefully will have it finished this week, binding and all!

Have a great day everyone!

Carolyn

irishrn
November 30th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Good morning all!
It's a quiet Sunday morning. DH is still sleeping and it is suppose to be a beautiful day outside today!
I continued to make a dent in the house clutter. Garbage is piling up! Donation pile is getting bigger!
Got all the fleece washed for the dog blankets for the rescue farm. Just need to get sewing! More fleece on its way from cyber shopping over the weekend!
DH goes back to the doctor Wednesday for his post cardiac cath checkup. He had a bit of chest pain on TG day but none since.
So today will be a continue to clean up day. Than each free day this week another room will get tackled to declutter!
I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend! Hugs to all who need them!!!

Simply Quilting
November 30th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Good Morning!

Cathy, that sounds like a really neat quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when you are done. I'm sure that he will treasure the quilt.

Yesterday we had a nice day at the in-laws. The weather was warm and beautiful so the children and dog were able to be outside and actually avoided getting muddy. We had Thanksgiving dinner. Then put up the Christmas tree. As tradition, the children decorated it. Each Christmas my m-i-l buys the grandchildren an ornament and they stay at her house until the child gets married (then they go to their home). Of course, as old as the children are getting, the ornaments fill the tree. It looked so pretty last night.

The weather has gotten dramatically colder today. We have church and Sunday school this morning. After lunch, depending upon whether or not I take a nap, I will start cutting out some blocks.

Have a great Sunday everyone :)

MayinJerset
November 30th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Morning gals, Happy Last Day of November to you all. Tomorrow is DS#1's 59th Bday. He was here for dessert Thanksgiving and as usual I stuck a candle in the pumpkin pie and we sang a shore Happy Bday to him.

Think my stomach has finally healed after sampling so many different rich dishes on Thanksgiving and at party Friday night. DS#3 and GF left yesterday afternoon, made her take home the ton of food she made, and kept just enough for DH and I to have a tasty leftover Thanksgiving dinner last night along with 2 different desserts for each of us. All extra food and leftovers are gone from the fridge but we lost something, we can't figure out where a big bunch of celery could be hiding. Today lunch with DS#2 and DIL - that will be a light lunch for me to be sure. On the way to meet them we'll drop off 200 washed and bagged pillowcases to my pillowcase project co chair to distribute to a local hospital this week.

Cathy your plans for your Dad's quilt are wonderful, he's sure to love it and it will keep him wrapped in warmth and memories. My Uncle Gennaro was a longshoreman and generally never spoke much but at weddings after a beer or two he'd dance a jig and shout, 'Ship Ahoy!". We kids loved it.

Better get going and take my shower, hair is long and perm mostly gone so I need to put it up in rollers. Not a big chore but a difficult one since my arms no longer can reach behind my head to put the rollers in, that's me curls in front and flat in back. Perm scheduled for Tuesday and coloring the next week so I'll look good for Christmas and DGD C's wedding on the28th.

Irishrn, Good Luck with the decluttering. I did a lot since contractor finished work in our dining room, some stuff got put away, some donated and other stuff into the garbage. Had to wonder why I kept some of the stuff but glad I keep some Mr. Coffee pots as the one we were using developed a crack and leaked a whole pot of coffee all over the countertop.

kimsophia
November 30th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Had to wonder why I kept some of the stuff but glad I keep some Mr. Coffee pots as the one we were using developed a crack and leaked a whole pot of coffee all over the countertop.

I always was irked at how a new Mr. Coffee carafe was worth almost the same price as a whole machine...well I had badly chipped the lid of a "brown betty" teapot (but of course, I couldn't throw it out! lol) so I used the teapot as a Mr. Coffee carafe for probably over ten years. Then I inherited a different coffeemaker. But of course, I still have the old rigged up contraption! Just in case! :icon_razz:

Sandy Navas
November 30th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Sopping up hot coffee isn't a chore any of us enjoy, May! We have had to contend with that task more times than I care to remember.
Nothing fantastic going on today that I can think of. We are going out for brunch at our favorite Mediterranean restaurant this morning and will probably stop at a couple grocery stores on the way home. Why is it if the larder is full before a holiday that it is empty before the shopping crowds clear out? Hopefully most people will be in Wal-Mart and not the local grocery.

Did some work on my Aunt Clara's quilt yesterday. Also started a PICU quilt but I sure don't like the fabric I picked to blend - not sure if I'm going to continue this one or make some major modifications on it. But I have my new cutting mat in place and have used it lovingly!!

Special thoughts and prayers going out to all our forum friends. If you need some comfort just reach up and grab.

quiltingtrish
November 30th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Cathy - your Dad's quilt sounds wonderful, can't wait to see it!
Eileen - less clutter, less to walk around and dust! I decluttered a few years ago and have not missed one thing I've gotten rid of. It's time to do it again.
Love that idea where you get an ornament every year and then keep it until the grandchildren grow up and move on. I'll have to remember that whenever mine decide to show up in this world.
May - even without a perm, you are still beautiful. :)
The snow is melting and hope it melts more. A high of 50 today and I also hope to get out to some stores and pick up the rest of the Christmas shopping. Why I can never think of what to get the kids (26, 25, and 20) I'll never know. Also DH. He usually gets new jammies and undies. We try to not make it about the gifts - keep the real reason for the season here. With snow showers being called for about 3 times this week, this one won't go out in it. Gets too messy up here in the mountains and too many hills. Today is the day to start and finish the shopping.
First day of hunting tomorrow so all day today we will hear the fella up above shooting and getting his rifles ready.
Well, if I want out of here soon to start and finish the shopping, I better get moving. Have to do some dishes before I go. Have to be finished shopping by 4 so I can get to my dad's. I suppose some cleaning will be in order there. Too cold to do any outside work and that's all done for the winter anyhow. A time to rest. The good Lord surely knows when we need that!
Hugs for those that need them and even those that don't!

Carrie J
November 30th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Morning all! :D Cathy, hope you're feeling better soon and can't wait to see your quilt, great idea , Eileen hope the post checkup goes well for your DH and the "cleaning/decluttering goes fast, May why is it the carafe breaks when it's full? Always! Sandy sounds like me on my quilit, doing a large bears paw and the sample cut I'm just not sure I like............hmmmmm.

Weather here is changing, heavy dark clouds, and cooler tomorrow. Wish the weather folks would and could get it right. Yesterday was gorgeous, but the wind was howling! Off for coffee with the Hubs, and see how the day unfolds. If it remains dark and overcast, it's the sewing room for me. Hugs and Blessings to all and especially those that need them. :D

pcbatiks
November 30th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Good morning everyone. Cathy .......your dad's quilt idea sounds really nice. I look forward to seeing it.

I'm trying to catch up on housework.....it looks like something exploded around here. :D But as you know, I was doing important things yesterday....like going to the same garage twice to get a better price on quilt fabric. I think you all will agree with me.......fabric bargains take priority over housework any day!

Our weather is beautiful today and has been for several days. One of my chores today is bathing our two dogs....guess I better get busy!

ilive2craft2
November 30th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Cathy, hoping little Miss is feeling better now and you were just having sympathy queasiness. The peppermint tea should help in either case. Can't wait to see some pics of the quilt you are doing for your dad. It sounds so special - he is going to love it!

My sis, BIL and their 2 kids came over last night for pizza, card playing and giggles. My SIL and her pup are still here, as well as our son - both are planning on leaving this afternoon. House is going to feel so empty after they are all gone!

Hope to get the Christmas trees up with at least lights on them today - we put the lights on the tree as we put it together, so we have lights all throughout the tree. Have Christmas music playing to get us in the mood. Need our son to move some furniture for us. We can do it, but he does it so easily!

I have 20 of the blocks done for Clue #1 of Bonnie Hunter's new mystery quilt - Grand Illusion. I am kind of excited, small blocks and they are pretty square and the trimming I had to do was minimal. I posted a pic of the first 6 in the group.

Hugs and prayers for everyone - whether you think you need them or not!

jjkaiser
November 30th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Cathy what a wonderful quilt idea for your Dad. I'm sure he will love it! Isn't it great when you find the perfect pattern.

Navy Wife
November 30th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Just back from church and had a quickie lunch while checking the mail. I have about 2 hours to sandwich Grace's tiny quilt and decide on quilting pattern. Then we go to Knoxville to meet the boys and have dinner before a musical show at the restored Tennessee Theater. I haven't seen it in a long time, so I'm sure there will be lots of changes. The musical is Christmas music played on 5 grand pianos and the old Wurlitzer organ which was restored some years ago. That should put me in the mood for Christmas!

buckeyequilter
November 30th, 2014, 03:44 PM
...and this is what is going on in my house today...

....at least this is what DH and his dog are doing. I'm ripping out stitches....and need to get back to it. I made a glaring mistake on the Night Sky quilt and have to fix it before I continue.

Have a wonderful day!