PDA

View Full Version : What a week it's been!

SallyO'Sews
November 28th, 2014, 01:37 AM
Hello, Quilty Friends!
It's been quite a week, hasn't it? I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving, with lots of wonderful food, family, fun, and fellowship. We had a good day, celebrated here with six of our children and one co-worker; talked on the phone to our oldest, who is hosting two of his brothers and their wives & children; and even got to Skype with our daughter & son-in-law in Korea!
Sadly, there has also been a lot of grief this week. My BFF's son and daughter-in-law lost a baby today; she was 4 1/2 months along and they had known for about a month that something was amiss. In addition to losing her baby, this young woman lost her mom to cancer two months ago, and on top of all of that, her husband (who grew up with my kids) owns a snow-plowing business, and could not even take her to the hospital because he was out plowing all night. He did make it to the hospital just before they delivered the baby still-born, and his mom (my BFF) was with her the whole way, but as you can imagine, they are crushed.
Then I learned that my Uncle Jim also has been admitted to a hospital in Houston for heart surgery, which I think will take place tomorrow (Friday). He is in his 80's and the last member in my family of that generation, and I am worried about how well he will be able to tolerate surgery.

You have all been so wonderfully kind and supportive, which is one of the things I treasure about this forum. May I impose on you as you visit with your families, enjoy those yummy leftovers, and shop 'til you drop this weekend? Please pray for the folks I mentioned above - Jamie and Peter are the young couple. This is just so hard, not only for them, but also for their extended families. It is hard to know what to say, or even whether to say anything at all. I'm praying that God will wrap them up in the love and compassion of their families, and that they will feel His presence and peace. I'm so thankful for every one of you.

Blessings, ~ Sally \0/

pcbatiks
November 28th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Sally.........I'll be praying for this family that has endured so much....so sad.

Mpyles
November 28th, 2014, 01:53 AM
Prayers for all!

mommamarsh
November 28th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Prayers for all of you . My husband had valve replacement surgery last May . He did sooo well , everyone was amazed . He was 82 at the time . So keep good thoughts for your uncle .

GuitarGramma
November 28th, 2014, 02:45 AM
Dear Sally, I will pray for everyone you mention. All that is a lot to have to endure.

In your post, you expressed a question whether or not to say anything to Jamie and Peter. I know it will be hard to, but please do. My daughter gave birth to a stillborn little girl, Lily, a couple of years ago. Hearing people recognize that Lily existed, that she was real, that her life touched our hearts, is such a comfort. To this day, I have trouble answering the question, "How many grandchildren do you have? " I don't want to deny Lily's existence, but I also don't want to make folks uncomfortable.

So let Jamie and Peter know that your heart is breaking for them. They will appreciate knowing that.

Simply Quilting
November 28th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Praying!!!

share60
November 28th, 2014, 06:27 AM
prayers being said for all.God Bless
Shareen

Bubby
November 28th, 2014, 10:16 AM
I will pray for this special family...such a sad chain of events.

Sandy Navas
November 28th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Add me to the list - definitely.

MayinJerset
November 28th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Prayers for them for healing as well as a respite from any more sad events for the family as well as your Uncle.

Navy Wife
November 28th, 2014, 11:39 AM
My prayers are with you all. Sometimes bad news seems to overwhelm us, but He will comfort those in need.

Dollyquilts
November 28th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Sally,

Praying for this young couple and their extended family. I hope your uncle is at the medical center in Texas. There are amazing thoracic surgeons there. The VA in Houston draws on their heart surgeons and they vets get great cardiac care. I'll be praying for him as well.

Dolly

Lonna
November 28th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Prayers are being lifted.

Carrie J
November 28th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Prayers, comfort and Hugs sent to all!

Grandma G
November 28th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Prayers for all of you. I know it is hard to smile with so much sadness around you. Please know we care.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
November 28th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Oh, Sally. What Jamie and Peter are experiencing is an extraordinarily difficult life experience. I would write a condolence letter -- you're thinking of them & their loss. I would acknowledge that there is nothing to say that can help. I would avoid any suggestion that they will get over this -- it will seem like you are diminishing their grief -- and I would avoid offering any religious beliefs you may have about their child being an angel, God calling the child home, etc. The vast majority of bereaved parents, even those who are extremely religious themselves, hate the suggestion that their baby should be anywhere other than with them. I would also avoid suggesting that they should have more kids; no matter how many they have, they will grieve for this one. You can say that you are thinking of them and that they are in your prayers, and that you are holding them close in your heart.
There are a number of online guides for friends & family of bereaved parents. Compassionate Friends has a pretty good one.