PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving's Past and Funny Memories

Carlie Wolf
November 27th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I'll never forget the year my daughter phoned me upset because she just discovered it was a mistake to defrost the turkey in the dish washer.

I told her "no dear, we usually just put the plates in after dinner to wash them."

Anyone else have any funny stories of holiday mistakes they have made or things you remember grandma doing but we never fully understood why?

ilive2craft2
November 27th, 2014, 10:26 PM
The first year that I hosted Thanksgiving for the family, I burned the bottoms of the rolls - tops looked great, but the bottom of them were black! We just cut the bottoms off and life went on. Every year since then, the family comments on the rolls. Although, I have done them right the last few years and no one said anything today.... :)

irishrn
November 28th, 2014, 12:08 AM
I cooked my very first turkey in 1973. Then packed it up In the cooler and headed to a friends vacation home in the hamptons in NY.
Our friends met us there but we never took the turkey out of the fridge as we ended up eating another meal instead.
We returned home the next afternoon with the turkey back in the cooler.
Heated up everything a home and ate with the same friends before they headed out for home that evening!
At 3am I woke up so sick, ex husband got sick around 4 am and at 6 am we got a call from our friends that they were also very sick!!
Turned out we all got food poisoning from the turkey that we carried around all weekend!
We were so weak none of us could stand up or walk so we were all crawling around on the floor to get to the bathroom!!
My son was about 6 months old and didn't have any turkey. We draged him from room to room on a blanket.
I didn't eat or cook another turkey for 10 years, and I only did it cause my kids hounded me to have thanksgiving dinner like everyone else does!!
Turkey scared me!!

Carlie Wolf
November 28th, 2014, 01:10 AM
Lisa, are you telling me that rolls are NOT suppose to be black on the bottom LOL

Carlie Wolf
November 28th, 2014, 01:12 AM
I don't think I'd eat turkey for years and years. I'd probably change to roast beef.

MayinJerset
November 28th, 2014, 11:46 AM
We just had received our new gas range which featured a self cleaning oven. While reading the directions to clean the oven I went through the steps, I set the timer and instead of just touching the oven lock I pushed it closed. That meant the oven couldn't be opened until 4 hours later - Oh did I mention I was doing this early Thanksgiving morning? I was very lucky that the oven unlocked in enough time for me to roast the turkey for our family and guests.

Claire Hallman
November 28th, 2014, 01:47 PM
One year my mom made a cranberry mold for Thanksgiving, she was so pleased that it jelled but when she was walking into the dining room it started melting and dripping over the edge of the plate. The dog was right underneath licking the drips and anxious for more.

New York Sue
November 28th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Yesterday, we were without power until 5pm. Thanksgiving dinner for the family has been postponed for this evening. Our neighbor, also without power cooked a turkey on his grill. It was awesome! Picture perfect and as moist as can be. Just as we sat down to eat, the power came back. It was actually a little disappointing, We were looking forward to a pioneer, candle lit dinner...

meliswan
November 28th, 2014, 06:07 PM
I have an Easter story: when I was about 9/10 yrs old, and lived in Texas, I was put in charge of the boiling and decorating the eggs. We are talking about roughly 6/7 dozen eggs. We all loaded up and went to the lake house. All my aunts and uncles and cousins came out there to for a fun filled Easter at the lake. So it just happened to be a warm Easter that year and the eggs were not kept cool, because they were cooked (supposedly). After lunch and egg hunts somehow we got into a war and started chunking eggs at each other. Oh dear lord, when those eggs broke open, it was nasty!!:icon_eek: I don't think they were quite poached so it was bad! :icon_mooooh: To this day when I boil eggs they are very HARD boiled.