PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel

Grandma Nan
November 26th, 2014, 11:45 PM
I need some advice from my fellow quilters. I was called yesterday to come in for my carpal tunnel surgery on my L hand on Friday. Can anyone tell me how incapacitated I will be and for how long.

Thanks. I have got things to do but this hand is killing me.

irishrn
November 26th, 2014, 11:50 PM
I'm so sorry you are in pain! Depending on the type of procedure they do, you could be in a cast/brace for several weeks and then physical therapy! Are you left handed???
I hope it goes well.

BobW
November 26th, 2014, 11:54 PM
You will have limits on how much you can lift or use the repaired hand. I realize that you have things to do with your hand, but if you don't get it fixed now, when will you get it done. There is never a good time, but to get the pain to stop may make it an easier choice.

Good luck.

Carrie J
November 26th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Nan, depends on what type of surgery technique they're using and your own bodies healing capabilities. In any case, you'll be incapacitated for a bit , and most likely will wear a brace to protect the repairs made. Depends on your Surgeon as to whether he chooses endoscopic or open surgery. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but better now than later to get it repaired. Prayers for both you and your Surgeon that it's a great success and eliminates your pain.

Midge
November 27th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Nan, we always have a million things to do, so there is no good time to have a surgery like this. Hard to generalize about your recovery for the reasons Carrie J noted. If you decide to have the surgery now you must be in bad enough shape to qualify or your insurance wouldn't have pre-approved it. So you must consider, am I in a position to follow the post operative activity restrictions? Because if you don't, you may make your situation much worse in the long run.

bubba
November 27th, 2014, 12:23 AM
The people I used to work with were always off six weeks, then normally started physical therapy. When I had my elbow done, it was five weeks and then pt.

Grandma Nan
November 27th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Thanks folks. I am right handed. I did get my quilts made but I have binding to do. I guess that is not so important tho, I could do it after Christmas but I think I might be able to do it with my right hand and only use my Left to balance the quilt.

I guess we'll see and I'll let you know. I have been waiting a long time so I don't want to refuse it as I am not sure when they would call me again. Christmas happens ever year. Ha Ha.

Midge
November 27th, 2014, 01:43 AM
Oh Nan, you are so sweet. I'm sure you don't want to disappoint at Christmas. But let Nurse Midge give you the side eye and shake her disapproving finger your direction! You MUST let that tissue heal without stress!!! Many exclamation points!!! I'm not kidding!!! Don't try to rationalize you are only doing it with one hand. Nonsense! OK, whew. I feel better now and I hope you are listening. Don't cheat on the healing time. I even have nurse and doctor friends who thought they could cheat on the activity guidelines because they felt "OK". They are permanently sorry now. Nature has a process for healing that has existed over eons of time. You, my dear Grandma Nan, are not qualified to revise it.

Said with love, truly.

Grandma Nan
November 27th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Thanks Midge but you see I am one of those difficult nurse patients. We are the very worst at following orders. I really appreciate the reminder that I must be reasonable about letting my hand heal. I'll let you know how it goes.

shirleyknot
November 27th, 2014, 09:10 AM
The first few days you won't even want to wiggle a finger. Make sure you have plenty of "easy on" clothing handy, or someone to help you dress and go to the bathroom. Mine took 3 months of PS to be completely right again (did both hands). This surgery is the reason I took up hand quilting. It was good therapy for finger dexterity, and still works to keep my hands limber.

Grandma Nan
November 27th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Good advice Shirley, I appreciate that. I have a quilt that I was going to hand quilt after Christmas so that is encouraging to hear that you were able to do that as therapy. I realize that this is very minor surgery but I still have quilts to bind for Christmas. I am not going to worry about it. The kids live in town so I can give their quilts and borrow back their quilts to finish binding later. The more important part will be together as a family.

Carah
November 27th, 2014, 09:52 AM
When I had mi e a few years. It was wrapped for a week to 10 days. Then it was back to normal. It took some time to get the full range of motion but it is so nice that my hand does ache or fall asleep all the time now. I hope you have the noninvasive as well.

Monique
November 27th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Good luck on your surgery.

shirleyknot
November 27th, 2014, 01:23 PM
You will have limits on how much you can lift or use the repaired hand. I realize that you have things to do with your hand, but if you don't get it fixed now, when will you get it done. There is never a good time, but to get the pain to stop may make it an easier choice.

Good luck.

Once it heals well, there are no limits what you can do. Grip strength is somewhat reduced in some cases, but I can still stack my own hay bales, and they weigh a good 50#.

sewlucky
November 27th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Did you get all the grandchildren quilts done Nan?? I knew you could do it! I wish I was closer I would help you with hand sewing the binding! But you are right, Christmas will be here every year, take good care of you and get rid of the pain!

Hugs,
Terri

ceiliam
November 27th, 2014, 03:10 PM
don't know if this helps my hands were done one week apart by plastic surgeon had to only had so much time off work. I needed no pt. actually figured out how to do light sewing within 2 weeks after the second surgery . I had stuff cut out as I could not do that . however had no problems . I think it is also how long have you let this go without doing the surgery. good luck hope it goes fast and hardly any pain... I really did not have much at all

Carrie J
November 27th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Nan, ex-Medical folks are the worst patients on the face of the Earth, LOL! Me included! I fight constraints like a wounded tiger, drives my Doc's nuts and me too for that matter, but finally give up the ghost and behave. I've found the hard way, it's much easier to just be compliant......................rashafrasha, hey I can still be verbal about it! ;)

irishrn
November 27th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Nan, ex-Medical folks are the worst patients on the face of the Earth, LOL! Me included! I fight constraints like a wounded tiger, drives my Doc's nuts and me too for that matter, but finally give up the ghost and behave. I've found the hard way, it's much easier to just be compliant......................rashafrasha, hey I can still be verbal about it! ;)

Yup!! We can be our own worst nightmares. My doc asks me, " so what's your plan for this!!" He so patient!!
Gotta love a guy who recognizes that I cooperate more when I feel like I have a say in the plan!!

Grandma Nan
November 27th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Terri I did get them done. The last one went to the longer armer on Tuesday. I was lucky because they just called me Monday to say come on Friday. Glad that I worked hard last week to get them done as I was thinking i need some time for binding. I am sure it will all work out ok. I do have my 5 cousins that I get together with each week to quilt so I'm sure they will help me. I wish you lived closer too. It would be fun to sit with a pot of tea and do binding.

Grandma Nan
November 27th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Well, i had my first one done about 30 years ago when my son was a baby. At that time they said, you will probably need the other one done soon. I have worn a brace and put it off so when the doctor did the EMG studies he said he couldn't believe that it wasn't bothering me more because there was a significant result on the EMG. So I guess I will just have to wait and see. I think if it wasnt the holidays i would just sit back and not worry and get someone to wait on me hand and foot, but right now theres lots to do.

Grandma Nan
November 27th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Yup!! We can be our own worst nightmares. My doc asks me, " so what's your plan for this!!" He so patient!!
Gotta love a guy who recognizes that I cooperate more when I feel like I have a say in the plan!!

You are so right. I have no patience for being incapacitated.