PDA

View Full Version : Any knitters in here?

Susann
November 25th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I'm a new knitter and have a question. I'm using wool yarn, size 9 US circular needles making an infinity scarf. DD asked that I just do a plain garter stitch so the color run in the yarn really shows. At the yarn shop, they told me to do the first two rows k/p/k/p so that the edge doesn't roll. Did that but those two rows are curling over the garter rows. Is there something else I should be doing? I thought if I just did straight garter it would lay flat. Soooo, before I take this all out-will it lay flat if I just do straight garter or should I do something else?

MaryD
November 25th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I think plain old garter stitch would be a much better idea. It should lie beautifully flat.

shirleyknot
November 25th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Knit/purl does not mean one row knit the next purl. You would knit/purl across the first rows, turn and knit/purl across the next, making sure the knits and purls are "stacked" one over the other, so as to make a rib knit. I prefer 4 rows,m which should stop your "roll".

Susann
November 25th, 2014, 11:53 PM
I think plain old garter stitch would be a much better idea. It should lie beautifully flat.

I've discovered that the garter stitch in the round actually makes the stockinette stitch because you always have the right side of the knitting facing you. This is definately a learning experience!!

Susann
November 26th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Knit/purl does not mean one row knit the next purl. You would knit/purl across the first rows, turn and knit/purl across the next, making sure the knits and purls are "stacked" one over the other, so as to make a rib knit. I prefer 4 rows,m which should stop your "roll".
That's what I was doing-stacking k/p over k/p. I did four rows but I think I was doing them too loosely. Unraveled the whole thing and starting over-again!!!

toggpine
November 26th, 2014, 12:36 AM
I do NOT need another hobby that involves collecting fiber beyond any reasonable amount I would ever use in my lifetime.

Good luck to you for figuring out not only how to read the directions but to keep from getting all tangled up in the yarn!

shirleyknot
November 26th, 2014, 09:05 AM
That's what I was doing-stacking k/p over k/p. I did four rows but I think I was doing them too loosely. Unraveled the whole thing and starting over-again!!!

Very likely. It's been a few years since I knitted much, but I do remember using a smaller needle to start with the ribbing.

songbird857
November 26th, 2014, 12:23 PM
If you are knitting in the round, you would need to knit one row, purl the next, to get a garter stitch. The reason it was curling before is that you ended up with a rib stitch - the k1p1 idea works if you are knitting flat. If you want to do that in the round for a few rows, you need to alternate (i.e. 1st row k1p1, 2nd row p1k1) Have fun!

krissyg
November 26th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Yes, you have to alternate knit/purl rows to get garter stitch in the round. I don't think you need the first two rows of k1/p1 ribbing for it to lie flat.