PDA

View Full Version : hmmmmph!

bubba
November 24th, 2014, 10:26 PM
When my mother in law died, MM was the executor of the will. I would never wish that job on anyone, especially if you have scheming, thieving sisters. Anyway, I just ran to Hancock's to get some buckle slides for my class this weekend and who should now be working there except for his sister!!! I'm glad he decided not to go since they really don't get along. I had not seen or talked to her in over three years and she cut my fabric. I watched her like a hawk to make sure I did not get shorted, but secretly wish she would over measure, but neither happened. She was friendly enough, but I will be sure not to take MM with me anymore! I think the last time he saw here was in court, because sadly, she dragged him there several times!

songbird857
November 24th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Oh Pat, I feel for ya...
I won't give details, but let's just say that I NEVER in my life thought I would be dealing with what I'm dealing with.

Carrie J
November 24th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Pat, been there, done that, and never goes away. Heart goes out to ya!

Gina
November 24th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Ewe! That had to be a bit uncomfortable! Hope it wasn't a favorite shop!

dwil23
November 24th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Sorry to hear. Do you know what she drives? Maybe you could check out the parking lot before going in to make sure her car isn't there?

I am so fortunate to have not had to go through that situation, but so many families are torn apart over estates.

bubba
November 24th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Sorry to hear. Do you know what she drives? Maybe you could check out the parking lot before going in to make sure her car isn't there?

I am so fortunate to have not had to go through that situation, but so many families are torn apart over estates.

I thought about the car part, but last I knew, she does not own one. The sad part is, there really was no estate to speak of. She just thought she was entitled to more than what she did get because she claimed she took care of her mom for ten years by herself, which is a big fat lie.......however, she did live rent free w/her mom for at least that long and continued to access her bank account after she died.

Simply Quilting
November 24th, 2014, 11:57 PM
{{Hugs}} Nothing like seeing someone you were not expecting. Sadly, seen too many families torn up over estates - many times there was not that huge of estates but it took a huge toll on families.

toggpine
November 25th, 2014, 04:40 AM
I hear you there. We have T-shirts from the same rest-stop on the family highway. Thankfully, the courts were not involved.

We don't have enough to leave to the kids. So at least they won't have anything to fight over. Well. I shouldn't say that. There will be tools, fabric, goats, and the two boats that Hubby is going to fix up.

Terri
November 25th, 2014, 05:28 AM
I feel bad for you. My dentist (and friend) has gone/is going through it with her family and her husbands. The stories she tells!! And there is big money involved on both sides. Makes me glad I come from a modest family. We had what we needed, but Mom & Dad were well off by no means. All of us get along. I said years ago to my mom that the only thing I wanted "when her time came" was here engagement ring....a garnet ring. I now have it, she is still with us but in an advanced stage of dementia. My sister managed to talk mom to going ahead & giving it to me so it wouldn't get "misplaced" like many other things have. My brother wanted her old fashioned meat grinder!! Yes, an attach it to the counter---hand crank meat grinder....he got that when mom & dad went into assisted living. My younger sister has mom's cedar chest and an old desk that they had. My older sister has a very old mirror. My dear sweet Dad (who has been gone 4 1/2 yrs) once said they were "spending our inheritance".....my response was "you worked hard for everything you have, spend every penny of it". That's the way all of us feel. Now we are wondering if the money that is left will hold out as long as mom does. Her mind may be going, but physically she is like the energizer bunny!!! Yes, she says she gets tired---as Blondie would say, heckfire....at 89 she's supposed to get tired!!! But she has more energy than I do! Her mother and grandmother died at the age of 93. Will keep you in my prayers.

bubba
November 25th, 2014, 05:36 AM
I hear you there. We have T-shirts from the same rest-stop on the family highway. Thankfully, the courts were not involved.

We don't have enough to leave to the kids. So at least they won't have anything to fight over. Well. I shouldn't say that. There will be tools, fabric, goats, and the two boats that Hubby is going to fix up.

Mine will be getting used ticket stubs from some Hawaii trip! hahahahaha.....

Many, and I mean many years ago, think late 1970's, we had a cool wallphone that held a phone book and one side it could be a bulletin board and if you flipped it, it was a chalk board. Our girls argued about who was going to get that stupid phone, so I went on Ebay and bought an identical one, Roger took them both apart, cleaned them, mixed up the parts and put them back together. Neither is the wiser about who has which one and they are both happy! We wrapped them up a couple Christmas's ago and it was so funny when they opened them!

Iris Girl
November 25th, 2014, 06:28 AM
I thought about the car part, but last I knew, she does not own one. The sad part is, there really was no estate to speak of. She just thought she was entitled to more than what she did get because she claimed she took care of her mom for ten years by herself, which is a big fat lie.......however, she did live rent free w/her mom for at least that long and continued to access her bank account after she died.

Sounds like exactly what my husband went through with his only sister. She lives in Florida and if we NEVER see her again it will be too soon. Makes me glad I am an only child. SHE did receive 3/4 of a huge estate for her and her kids as opposed to what hubby got. I won't go into details. but it was very unfair.

MayinJerset
November 25th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Wow, this thread could go on forever with tales of dividing estates. When DH's mother passed everything went smoothly, no house, cars or decent furniture to dispose of. Biggest problem DH had as executor of the estate was to get his brother to collect his share as BIL was a reporter working in Europe.

After her first heart attack MIL told me how to dispense of her rings to her DD, DGDs and myself. She wanted me to have her wedding band and engagement rings so when she passed I gave them to her DD. DD said no keep them as she would have liked her mom's original thin wedding set. FIL had sold them when he bought MIL a new and bigger set to celebrate being married 25 years. I never wore MIL's rings, center engagement ring diamond became engagement ring for dS#2 and bride. A few years ago I had the side diamond chips and added birthstones to create memory rings for our 6 DGDs. In fact gave the last ring to DGD J this past weekend as her 18th Bday present.

My parent's estate was settled pretty easy, mom passed 6 months after dad, no will but mom had DB#1 added to her accounts as he lived close her and he divided everything between her 7 children. Youngest brother (DB#3) passed next, DB#1 was executor of his will and since DB#3 had no wife or children everything was divided between his 6 siblings. Scrapping between one sister and brother over the car and a few household items but they fought over everything all of the time. Assets from DB#3's estate was the hardest to receive as when he was born I was 17 and took a leave from work to take care of family while mom was in the hospital with him. I was his godmother and DB#1 was his godfather. Who ever thinks of losing the youngest in their family first?

DB#3 did start a tradition we still keep. In early December he began laying an evergreen blanket on our parents grave. Over the next few years some of us began joining him so when he passed we continued the tradition as he is buried with our parents. We meet in the cemetery the first Sunday in December and say prayers for all family members who have passed, welcome any new family members (this year my great grandson C) and sing (badly) a short version of Silent Night ending with the words "May they Sleep in Heavenly Peace."

Sorry this is so long and sort of off the topic, been thinking a lot lately of those who have passed and that are still missed.