PDA

View Full Version : Please help re coming to America for a holiday...

SomerRose
November 23rd, 2014, 05:45 AM
I posted a little while ago that my husband and I are coming to America in 2015 to see the fall in New England and I wanted to visit some quilt shops and so many kind people responded it was great.....now I am wondering if you can help us again

Flights are now out for us to be able to book our holiday....we have sorted our plan out ....we will fly into Toronto and visit Niagara (3 days) before hiring a car and travelling south, (10 days) and then visit New York (3 days)

Our dilemma is that I had hoped to be able to get a months holiday but my employer has told me ...no way...i can only have three weeks........so do we come 26th September to 17th October or leave it a week later and come 3rd October to 24th.............any guidance will be really appreciated...

We have been trying to do this holiday for four years now ...but daughters weddings, elderly parents, births and change in employment have all delayed it so you can imagine how excited I am that we are at long last booking it !!

SomerRose
November 23rd, 2014, 05:50 AM
....I have realised that this is not really a quilting thread that i have posted so I hope no one will be offending.....perhaps i should say that we have factored in a day at Keepsake quilting and once we have our route sorted in more detail I will be asking again for all the quilt shops I can visit....i have such a long list of quilting supplies that i want to bring back.......oh if only i could fit a long arm into my suitcase ....

RockinLou
November 23rd, 2014, 06:33 AM
If the goal is to see the fall colors, I would do the later dates. Check when Colombus day falls, if you are making special plans some places in New York might be closed, or if you go to New York City there is a big parade, which might be right up you alley, or you might want to plan around...

kimsophia
November 23rd, 2014, 10:34 AM
Hi SomeRose,

This web site has data for 2013 back to 2008.

Archive (http://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.php/foliage-reports/foliage-reports-northeast-us/foliage-reports-northeast-us-archive)

Here's a site concerning just the state of New York: Fall Foliage Tours - Leaf Peeping in the Adirondacks (http://www.nyfallfoliage.com/)

I'm sure that Google has more information! I hope you will have an enjoyable visit! I had fun garden touring in England. :)

Sandy Navas
November 23rd, 2014, 11:10 AM
Hey, I always thought it had to do with quilting if it involved one of our quilting friends . . .

quiltingtrish
November 23rd, 2014, 11:51 AM
I would vote for the later week also for the fall foliage. I live in south central Pennsylvania and our leaves were turning in November. Sounds like a fun trip!

dwil23
November 25th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I agree with the later dates. I was in Vermont, New Hampshire (yes went to Keepsake one day) and Maine October 2 - 6th this year and the leaves were turning, but not fully turned in most places.

YankeeMagazine.com has helpful information and maps to help you plan.

SallyO'Sews
November 25th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Yes, it really does depend how far north/south you are on a given weekend. Here in Connecticut (Southernmost New England) our "peak week" is along about the 3rd or 4th weekend in October. As you go north (i.e. Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine) the leaves turn earlier. So if you start in Canada and wend your way southward, you should have some breath-taking views!

Enjoy your trip!

bubba
November 25th, 2014, 04:15 PM
It's hard to tell when the leaves will change, but I would take the latest time you can. I was back in the Boston area one year at Thanksgiving and everything was still green! We were walking around w/out coats or jackets it was so warm and all our cold weather gear stayed in the suitcases back at the hotel!