PDA

View Full Version : ho- hum two... the sequel.

BeachLizard
November 22nd, 2014, 11:29 PM
It's a very wet, (not-so-cold), rainy day and here I sit with no lime green thread in my sewing machine.....that can only mean one thing!

.....I'm not sewing.

No Bubba special lime green thread means.....well, it definitely means no Manhattan bag here - except in my dreams. But it means I'll do something I haven't done in 30 years. I'll bake home made bread. The one and only time I made bread was soooooo traumatic that if I hadn't been half a world away, I would have personally drop shipped it from 35,000 feet over the Fleischmann's yeast headquarters and watched that cinder-block piece of.... (bread) go thru their roof...

So now for the first time in 30 years.... drum roll please... My honey wheat cranberry nut bread.

93265 93266 93267

I was pretty proud of myself - and Fleischmann's. They really came thru for me today. I couldn't wait until the Man of the house came home from work to show him my latest accomplishment. Two minutes after he walked in, I was cutting into that loaf. He announced that it looked like bread (?) - but probably remembering that one and only loaf from 30 years ago, he made me go first.

Ladies, when was the last time you checked the pucker factor on whole, fresh cranberries?

I'm thinking I shoulda just gone and got some lime green thread....

:D

pcbatiks
November 22nd, 2014, 11:36 PM
Your story made me laugh........I've had days like that too!

Am I to guess that your cranberry bread was a little tart!?

BeachLizard
November 22nd, 2014, 11:41 PM
Lol. Yes Ma'am. They're a whole lot different coming from a can....

Sandy Navas
November 22nd, 2014, 11:42 PM
Spread with cream cheese and sprinkle with brown sugar.

I'll take some. But I love cranberries - did you use dried ones?

BeachLizard
November 22nd, 2014, 11:45 PM
Sounds delicious! Nope. Whole. Fresh. From the bag. Unsweetened. In all their VERY tart glory...

BeachLizard
November 22nd, 2014, 11:47 PM
Spread with cream cheese and sprinkle with brown sugar.

I'll take some. But I love cranberries - did you use dried ones?

...p.s. if you weren't so far away, I'd hand-carry the other half of the dough right over to ya. Guess I'm going to have to get some cream cheese instead.

oldsewer
November 22nd, 2014, 11:48 PM
Honey! Honey and butter will fix anything.

Cathy F
November 23rd, 2014, 12:24 AM
That looks yummy!

bubba
November 23rd, 2014, 12:58 AM
I think I just wet myself......pretty sure you are supposed to use the dried cranberries!!! You need lime green thread??? I might have some to share if you really need it!

share60
November 23rd, 2014, 01:14 AM
It looks so yummy,my first attempts at bread making I could have built the Great Wall of China and in a thousand years it would still be standing!!!!cheers enjoy hope you slathered it with real butter yay for dairy farmers!!(!I just presumed you used dried ones the kind we get here)

BeachLizard
November 23rd, 2014, 01:19 AM
I think I just wet myself......pretty sure you are supposed to use the dried cranberries!!! You need lime green thread??? I might have some to share if you really need it!

...:icon_eek:...dried.....? :icon_doh:

bubba
November 23rd, 2014, 01:24 AM
...:icon_eek:...dried.....? :icon_doh:

Yes, like the raisins, but they are cranberries....craisens I think they are called.

Products - Craisins® Dried Cranberries | Ocean Spray (http://www.oceanspray.com/Products/Craisins-Dried-Cranberries.aspx)

BeachLizard
November 23rd, 2014, 01:32 AM
Yes, like the raisins, but they are cranberries....craisens I think they are called.

Products - Craisins® Dried Cranberries | Ocean Spray (http://www.oceanspray.com/Products/Craisins-Dried-Cranberries.aspx)

Lord knows I'll never forget the name. .. think I'll just pour whiskey on my berries and cry in my bread.

Terri
November 23rd, 2014, 01:50 AM
Lord knows I will never try to make bread!!!! Growing up in FL, my mothers idea of bread with dinner was sliced bread, on special occasions, dinner rolls or crescent rolls. But what did I do???? Married a man from the south and what do they eat.....biscuits!!!! I remember Mom on the very RARE occasion making biscuits out of Bisquick. So I tried ONCE...end result: rock hard on the outside, still doughy on the inside. Nothing compared to his grandmother's biscuits. She was one of the old school who could pour out a pile of flour on the counter, make a hole in the center, pour in some milk (buttermilk?), add some shortening and start mixing by hand until it "felt" right. They came out perfect every time. To this day (over 34 yrs later) I do not make biscuits!! Just run by KFC!! LOL

He also LOVES collard greens. I had never even heard of them until we got married! So his grandmother tried to tell me how to cook them. Got to the point of adding "just a little" bacon grease to them. Well you could have slid from here to Atlanta on those things!!!! (About 3 hrs away!!!) That was the first & last time at trying to cook those awful things. Now, thank goodness, some friends (and members of our church) own a BBQ restaurant and they serve collards. So hubby gets his fix. :D