PDA

View Full Version : We dodged a bullet today.

Amy R
November 22nd, 2014, 05:50 PM
So, hubby went to get the oil changed today and took little one with him so I could get some speed cleaning done at the house. 2hours later he finally gets home saying that unbeknownst to him a trainee did the work. He advised the people there that persons with toddlers should not have to wait on a trainee.

fast forward to a few hours later. We promised little one a corn dog from Sonic today for a reward for her first poop on the potty. (sorry tmi). On our way we missed being slammed by a person running a red light. Woo close one.

As we were driving the wheel started making worse and worse noise, and then the car was shaking bad. Ended up emergency pull over in grocery store parking lot. Come to find out, the lovely trainee failed to tighten the lug nuts on the tires. 4 out of the 5 were hanging by a thread on one tire alone. Had we been on the highway we may not have been so lucky.
The manager rushed out in his car to retighten them all. Hubby brought the car back to have the tires taken off and everything examined, all is well again.

Beyond livid at this point yet so thankful our guardian angels were close by today.

I continue to pray in thanks, and for our dear sisters and brothers here.

songbird857
November 22nd, 2014, 06:18 PM
Amy, so glad you guys are ok :-) My question to the manager would be "Who the heck was supervising the trainee??"

Dollyquilts
November 22nd, 2014, 06:25 PM
Your guardian angel was with your family today. Thank God you didn't come to any harm today.

Dolly

Sherri6474
November 22nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you and your family!! And so grateful you are all safe!!! The same thing happened to us at Midas Brakes and Mufflers. The tech, not a trainee, did not tighten the lug nuts on our DD's vehicle after having service done. She came home and told DH the car was driving funny. He drove it around the block and found out what was wrong. I went back to Midas to let them know that their mistake could have killed our DD, who was pregnant with DGD at the time. The only thing the manager/owner said was "Oh, sorry about that." I was so angry I could have spit nails. They are now out of business and I can't help but wonder why.

Amy R
November 22nd, 2014, 06:39 PM
Sherri, that sent chills. It was a Midas here too. However the manager offered us several free oil changes and will let us know how much discounts he can give for another problem we have.
It should have been checked. Hubby made sure I was on the phone with my dad so the NYer in me wouldn't get me arrested.

Cathy F
November 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
I'm very relieved that this story had a safe ending, that could have been a real tragedy! A trainee is just that- a trainee and should be supervised and his work checked before the vehicle leaves the shop!

Sandy Navas
November 22nd, 2014, 07:51 PM
Whew! I do think perhaps a bit of your NY temper would be needed, along with a SKTTB (swift kick to the butt) . . . and I'm good with those. References supplied upon demand.

Carrie J
November 22nd, 2014, 08:36 PM
Oooooh AMY! I'm so glad y'all are safe! Not only terrifying, but maddening as well!!! I'm afraid my German-Irish would've lowered the boom, regardless! Sandy has it right a healthy SKTTB added for good measur!. My next question would be, considering the tremendous danger y'all were put in, did the Manager offer any conciliatory offers like, oil changes, etc, etc with a Senior Mechanic, as obviously, the Trainee was left to his OWN devices instead of being properly supervised!

bubba
November 22nd, 2014, 09:48 PM
Why did they loosen you lug nuts to change the oil??? That has nothing to do with the oil.

Gina
November 22nd, 2014, 09:53 PM
Glad everyone is safe!

Doloris
November 22nd, 2014, 10:12 PM
Why did they loosen you lug nuts to change the oil??? That has nothing to do with the oil.

sometimes it is easier to get to the oil filter by taking a wheel off, but that only requires 1 tire be removed.

pcbatiks
November 22nd, 2014, 11:04 PM
Amy........so glad to know that you and your family were not hurt. This made me cringe. I think I would also post a review online to warn others.

Terri
November 23rd, 2014, 02:00 AM
So glad you are safe! That is the number one most important thing! I too could deliver a very good SKTTB along with my red head temper! One thing no one else mentioned, in addition to the free oil changes, discounts, apologies offered, you should have gotten a full refund for the emotional stress that you were put through today! Just my opinion..... :D

Amy R
November 23rd, 2014, 02:26 AM
Oh, thought I added. He rotated the tires as well, thus the lug nut issue. Just hoping he remembered the oil... and everything else.

RockinLou
November 23rd, 2014, 06:38 AM
I would demand a refund for the day's work, as obviously no amount of promised discounts would get me to ever walk through their door again!!

What a relief your husband pulled over and figured it out quickly.

CarolynK
November 23rd, 2014, 09:16 AM
So glad you are safe! Trainee or not, that shouldn't have happened, good grief! As a side note, my husband would have had to bail me out of jail...

BellasQuilts
November 23rd, 2014, 12:21 PM
Thank goodness. Your GA was on duty for sure. I can understand how angry you were, I would have been too.

easyquilts
November 23rd, 2014, 03:47 PM
Thank The Lord none of you were hurt....in both incidents.....

Whatever store did your tires owes you..... Big time..... Their trainee 's incompetence could have caused a tragedy... And where wad his supervisor? Shameful...