View Full Version : Bubby (Barb Oaker) Update 11/22/14

Sandy Navas
November 22nd, 2014, 11:55 AM
Barb Oaker is at:
Texas County Memorial Hospital
1333 S Sam Houston Blvd
Houston, MO 65483-2046

Room 202

She's in pretty serious condition and cards and prayers would be appreciated.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 22nd, 2014, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info! So sorry to hear about her condition.

lynnl55
November 22nd, 2014, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the info Sandy

Angelia
November 22nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Thinking of Barb and wishing her well.

Iris Girl
November 22nd, 2014, 12:15 PM
Thinking of her and Jeff hoping a solution can be found soon and speedy healing.

stitching woman
November 22nd, 2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks Sandy.

I had the privilege of meeting Barb and Jeff this summer what truly sweet people they are it was like seeing old friends.

Prayers and healing thoughts going out to both of them.

Cathy F
November 22nd, 2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks for posting this Sandy, will send a card to her.

Amy R
November 22nd, 2014, 12:28 PM
card prayer and well wishes !!!

SuzyQue
November 22nd, 2014, 12:55 PM
Prayers added from here.

pcbatiks
November 22nd, 2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the update, Sandy. Will get a card to her today.........still praying for our sweet forum friend.

BellasQuilts
November 22nd, 2014, 01:38 PM
Sandy, thank you for the update. Prayers going out now for Barb and Jeff.

Blondie
November 22nd, 2014, 03:20 PM
I was able to finally get through to our Bubby in the hospital. she is remarkably improved but still in rough shape. She does not have shingles, vaculitis or the rash like our precious Marilyn has had. What she is suffering from is a very serious virus called GULLAIN-BARRE SYNDROME. (GBS) It is a virus that attacks those who auto immune deficiency which of course is a result of lupus and/or diabetes. she has been getting meds intravenously and needs a whole lot of rest. This is the same virus that causes mono, although, this is way past mono, friends.
Barb thanks each one for their continued prayers; she believes that these prayers were answered by the determination, concern and discernment that one doctor exhibited. You can read about gbs here: Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/guillainbarre.htm)
Her home address is listed in her user notes, please send cards there as she is uncertain when she will go home. She is responjding well to the meds and you know how hospitals/insurance is these days - yep, in and out.
I am so happy that we have such a strong bond of love and caring here. Asking the Lord to bless each one for this.

EnumclawGramma
November 22nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Blondie, thank you SO much for the update. Barb is heavy on my heart and I will get a card to her today.....not much but what can I do? I WILL continue to pray for her.....

Blondie
November 22nd, 2014, 03:38 PM
I am bumping this up so those who are in and out of here during the day and read the most recent update.

Libby, you know how much she loves you and your prayers. keep them coming, they're working!

Lonna
November 22nd, 2014, 03:45 PM
Blondie thank you so much for this update yes this is a bad one. I do know this first hand as my Dear Mother had Guillain-Baree Syndrom back in the early 80's. It was a very rough road she was in the hospital for quite some time almost for a full month. She got so weak that she could not take the paper wrapper off a straw or remove the top off of her toothpaste. She did make a wonderful recovery she never did have as much energy as before but she has managed extremely well. Mom just celebrated her 82nd birthday this month.
My thoughts and prayers are with her and Jeff during this difficult time. Praying for a speedy and a full recovery.

Sandy Navas
November 22nd, 2014, 05:00 PM
BUMP this one up!

K. McEuen
November 22nd, 2014, 05:15 PM
Ooo, that can be a nasty one. Thoughts and prayers going out for the best possible outcome.

Navy Wife
November 22nd, 2014, 06:34 PM
I'm glad they have a diagnosis, but sure wish it was something easier. My prayers will continue for a quick recovery.

buckeyequilter
November 22nd, 2014, 06:58 PM
Prayers and hugs to Barb and to Jeff. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Sandy Navas
November 22nd, 2014, 07:26 PM
If Barb is released and you want to send a card, here's her home address. As someone said, they may not forward mail from the hospital:

Barbara Oaker
11475 Hassel La.
Licking, MO 65542
United States of America

Amy R
November 22nd, 2014, 07:38 PM
sent mine to the hospital before I saw the possibility she may be discharged. Hope she can get out of there soon!

Sandy Navas
November 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
Sent mine to the hospital, too - and I hope they forward them.

Barb is home now! Please continue the good wishes and prayers, if you are so inclined.

BeachLizard
November 22nd, 2014, 07:57 PM
... bless her heart. I don't know her but I pray for her anyway. May the Sovereign God Who holds all things, hold her and her husband in the palm of His mighty hand and may He comfort and heal her body, mind and spirit, and continue to give the doctors wisdom in her care. In His name alone I ask it...

Carrie J
November 22nd, 2014, 09:00 PM
Just catching up, and thanks Sandy, BLondie for the "bumps" and updates. Will definitely not only pray for her continued healing but for her DH as well. Card done and gone!

Mpyles
November 22nd, 2014, 09:02 PM
Continued prayers!

MRoy
November 22nd, 2014, 09:15 PM
I'm glad Barb is home and pray that she has a speedy recovery!

Loonwatcher
November 22nd, 2014, 09:44 PM
OMG! I am so out of the loop. I don't get to read all the posts anymore.

Sandy and Blondie, thank you so much for the update. I'm so distressed to hear about Barb's condition. Sounds awful. She was one of the first people I "met" when I joined the forum way back when.

I will be sending a card and prayers. I wish there was more I could do.

Gina
November 22nd, 2014, 09:47 PM
Good to hear she is home! Sending prayers to them both!

pcbatiks
November 22nd, 2014, 11:39 PM
Bumping up.........got my card out today. :)

Ginny B
November 22nd, 2014, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the update. Glad Barb is home. Will send prayers up for her and her hubby and get a card to her too.

sewbizzy
November 23rd, 2014, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the update on Barb, Sandy and Blondie....I haven't been on the computer as much this past week...will send a card to her home and am keeping her in my prayers...

auntiemern
November 23rd, 2014, 12:58 AM
Thank you ladies so much for the update and diagnosis. Like I said before, lupus along with getting old is not for sissies. This is the first time I have been on here all day. I will get a card out to her first thing Monday. Prayers continuing for our sweet Bubby.

BobW
November 23rd, 2014, 10:25 AM
Bump'n it up! :icon_attention:

Madeforyouinma11
November 23rd, 2014, 11:48 AM
Thank you Sandy and Blondie for the updates. I will continue to keep her in my prayers.

mommadeb
November 23rd, 2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks for letting us know what is going on. Many hugs and prayers out to her and Jeff.

MayinJerset
November 23rd, 2014, 07:51 PM
Just back from our weekend trip to MA and am glad our Bubby found out what the problem was and she's been treated for it. Get Well Bubby we want your smiling face here on the forum ASAP.

shermur
November 23rd, 2014, 07:55 PM
Praying for her speedy recovery and high hopes all is progressing well....

FabStripper
November 23rd, 2014, 09:15 PM
More prayers going up for your quick recovery Barb.

snippet
November 23rd, 2014, 10:01 PM
Glad she is home and rest in her own bed. Praying for wisdom and solutions from the doctors and healing and comfort for Barb.

BellasQuilts
November 23rd, 2014, 10:55 PM
So glad to hear Bubby is home! Yay and now the healing can begin. You never get any rest in a hospital and sounds like rest is first on the list! Hugs to you honey and thanks to Sandy and Blondie for the updates!

Claire OneStitchAtATime
November 24th, 2014, 12:27 AM
Just read Blondie's update. Nasty diagnosis, but it's always better to know the face of the enemy than to have an unexplained illness -- then at least you know how to fight back. Wishing Bubby, who's such a great forum friend, everything good.

laura44
November 24th, 2014, 12:29 AM
The poor dear, sending prayers her way and a card tomorrow.

jjkaiser
November 24th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Putting my card in tomorrow's mail. Hope all these good wishes lift her spirits. When you're real sick it helps to know you are not alone. Thanks Sandy, Blondie and friends for keeping us in the loop. Hope she has an extra large mailbox.

Peggy Anne
November 24th, 2014, 01:59 AM
Sending prayers. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

maxwellthecat
November 24th, 2014, 03:32 AM
Barb wrote to me this morning and told me she was going to go back to the hospital. I am so worried about her and Jeff. I pray to god that they will be alright.