PDA

View Full Version : Friday!

Blondie
November 21st, 2014, 08:05 AM

Hello and Happy Friday, Folksies!

I went to bed early, woke up, went back to sleep, woke up, ad infinitum. The story of my life. Years ago, when the kiddos were little, I operated on about 3 hours sleep a night. I would stay up late - about midnight - and then be up at 3 am. That is when I got my best housework done. By the time the ankle biters were awake, they would have my attention and everything was clean and sparkly. That doesn't happen these days. I sleep, wake up groggy as all heckfire shoot, and it takes a few cuppas to get me cranking. Sigh.

Not near as cold as earlier this week; I don't even have the wood stove going. It sure does heat well and our house, being brick, helps to hold it in longer - at least that is what I have been told. The wood stove in the basement is huge. It is one my Daddy made over 40 years ago. Whenever I feed the beast I still feel my Daddy next to me, showing me how to make a fire in it that would burn evenly. That is only one thing I remember my sweet Daddy teaching me. As the holidays are approaching, Mom is in overdrive in missing him. Although it will be 4 years this December, it seems that it is truly setting in that she is widowed. She has been so sick so frequently, she hasn't had time to really reflect. In the evenings when I stay down at her house, I sleep in his old bed with Luscious. Many times I wake up and just go lie down on the sofa. You see, each night I sleep in his bed, I dream of him. Not bad dreams, but, dreams none the less. Perhaps that is why my sleep is so fragmented.

Middle son Josh just called to let me know he is home from work. He has a seasonal part time job for the holidays. Third shift unloading trucks. He is coming over to have some coffee with me since he is out of sugar. I keep telling the boy, coffee isn't coffee with cream and sugar. What he has is a latte. Here, have a spoon of coffee with your sugar, lol.

Off to read a bit here and then share a cup with Josh. So many in need of positive thoughts, prayers and smiles. Be sure you offer some of each. and throw in an extra SMILE.

Have a great weekend!!

Madeforyouinma11
November 21st, 2014, 09:18 AM
Good morning. Blondie, I did the same thing when my kids were little, only my 3 hours were after they went to bed. I workded the overnight shift so I could be home with them all day. I would put them to bed and grab 3 hours sleep, shower and go to work. When I was coming in the house, hubby was leaving for work...did that for many years.
I think of my mom and dad alot throughout the year, but around the holidays, memories are in overdrive. It's been 25 years for dad and 14 for mom.
Well, it's a little chilly this morning. I will be in the sewing room all day today working on sewing down applique. I'm hoping to get a good amount finished today, if not, all of it....we shall see.
Hope everyone has a good day! Blondie, enjoy your coffee with Josh.

CarolynK
November 21st, 2014, 09:25 AM
Good Morning Blondie and All!

Blondie, since we just got a wood stove, could use that lesson in building a good fire since my Girl Scout days are long gone and I've slept since then. We have to have 3 small fires to set the paint and other stuff but by Saturday, we will be able to fire it up and let it go. Can't wait! Curt, the hubs is pretty good at building fires, however, he tends to think it must be an inferno first. The last time he built a fire in my chiminea I couldn't even SEE the chiminea! I'm surprised he didn't melt the steel down. We have been through two grates though. :icon_rolleyes:

Update - the family meeting with my sisters, staff and Mom went pretty well. She will be dismissed to home Tuesday but one sister is going to take her home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We are a little apprehensive about her being alone, but will have services for her and someone to check on her daily. I think this is all good for right now.

I am so looking forward to a weekend at home and working on my quilt! Just need a little down time and time with the hubs too.

Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts and prayers. Although this dealing with aging parents isn't easy, you all make my day a little brighter.

Have a great Friday. Smiles, hugs and prayers for everyone!

Carolyn

Monique
November 21st, 2014, 09:38 AM
Good morning. Since hubby down sick yesterday I did get to quilt all morning with interruptions. Then I had a 2 1/2 hour nap which I needed. This quilt is coming along nicely and it getting close to being done. That is one thing about hand quilting, you quilt forever and just can't wait to get it finished. My brother-in-law will be very happy to get a quilt this year.

Last night I helped at the annual Church supper. I believe they sold 430 meals. I stopped by the bazaar table, as I was looking for slippers but there was none. Greg has requested a new pair of slippers. I will have to make him some.

For today, I will try and get more quilting done and I would like to get outside and shovel some snow. It has accumulated at the end of the driveway and needs to get cleared off. It looks like it will be a nice sunny day here.

Have a great day friends. Stay safe wherever you are. Prayers going out to those in need and smiles to all of you.

Amy R
November 21st, 2014, 09:45 AM
Morning! Hoping everyone's spirits are in good shape.
This morning is pretty interesting so far. Little one ran to her froggy potty b/c I had to use the restroom. I hear No Kitty no bite! She comes in saying I tell kitty no bite, my hiney. Oh, there is never a dull moment here. She was running around and the cat was doing typical cat stuff.
Looking forward to some sewing time. I may cut up a bunch of scrap hexies so I have some hand work to do while in NC. I've wanted to try something with that shape, maybe enough to make a little bag.
This is a hard time of year for mind and body and I pray for everyone. Here's to getting through it together this year!!!

I don't know where I got this but I thought it was pretty chuckle worthy.

EnumclawGramma
November 21st, 2014, 09:52 AM
Good Morning and Happy Friday! I hope today is the first part of a wonderful weekend for everyone!

Blondie, your story about your Dad brings back so much for me with my own Mom and Dad. You are blessed with all the time you get to spend with your Mama. I know it's not always easy, but it's a blessing none the less. And I know YOU.....cherish each day! Say Good Morning to your Josh for me!

I have a full day with the Grands today. I'm even skipping Yoga to get there early. We're making Chocolate Chip cookies, playing "Go Fish" with two decks of cards and later walking to the park so I can watch them play catch with the football. The littlest one, Lillie, wants to watch "How to Train a Dragon" with me. It's going to be a wonderful day!

Off to fold some laundry and get my bed made before I take off! Hugs/Prayers for everyone in need.

songbird857
November 21st, 2014, 10:05 AM
Morning all -
Blondie - I could just picture your dad showing you how to feed that wood stove! I never had one growing up, but my best friend in high school did. I spent so much time at her house that I also learned the proper way to take care of the two stoves there. Had one later in a house we lived in...
Carolyn; praying for you and your family - every day is an adventure ;)
So.... hubs has been gone to Nashville since Wednesday for work - sure wish I was with him in that swanky hotel. More like a little city than a hotel, just beautiful. My plan was to sew, sew, sew while he is gone...um... yeah... no. I brought my machine up to the kitchen while he is away because I don't really care if it is taking up 1/3 of the table space - we can eat around it :) Wednesday was good, I got some machine embroidery done. Yesterday I woke up feeling kind of crummy - somethin' I ate I believe. Felt off all day and did no sewing, just puttered around. I didn't want to screw anything up because of a headache (you know, those frontal sinus-y ones where you can barely think, let alone think about measurements and cutting fabric)! Headache subsided towards evening and I thought about sewing, but I really just wasn't in the mindset so I figured I can get a fresh start this morning after I drop my DD off at school and make sure FIL is fed :lol:
I can't wait for hubby to be home - he really is my best friend and I miss him.
Something I am doing today is joining Weight Watchers again - this time online because I'm not sure if I could make it to meetings right now. Short story is - I joined in March 2013 while I was still in the office and did really well - lost 30 pounds, felt great and was on my way to losing more. Came home from the office in Nov.(quit WW in Dec) and was still doing ok. Well, since my FIL has been here guess what?? I have gained it all back (ugh) - I have been so focused on caring for someone else that I have not been caring for me and that needs to end. Today. :)
Hope everyone has a fab day - I'll pray for you as you pray for me!!

Sandy Navas
November 21st, 2014, 10:41 AM
This is for Monique (and anyone else who needs help): Cloth Slippers - Make your Own - Quilting (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art181014.asp)

Smiling with everyone this morning and saying special prayers for those in need. Heard from Rae that dizzyliz has been in the hospital and expected to be there over the weekend. No idea why, but know prayers would be appreciated.

I can so feel for Norma - I've been working on a special project to take for our Christmas exchange at the quilt guild and have made more mistakes than anything else. Can't seem to think straight (or maybe I can't any more). That and given the fact that I often think I know what I'm doing but absolutely have no clue . . . guess that was apparent without me telling you, right?

DeeOGee has been feeling poorly since yesterday afternoon. Very concerned about his stomach. It's such a shame that our little fur buddies can't talk and tell us what's up with them.

Have to be gone this afternoon, so I'll try to make some more messes in my sewing room before lunch. Better hurry and get started.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 21st, 2014, 10:44 AM
Good morning all! My 17 year old kitty and I are snuggling under a blanket right now. Any time I spread a blanket or quilt on my lap, it's his invitation to move in for a snuggle. Sometimes he's a PIA about it, but right now, he's warm and calm, so it's good.

I got some under bed totes to stash yet more fabric into, the stash was growing in laundry baskets in my bedroom, now it is stashed out of sight. I fell for the daily deal. All I need is prepaid fabric! What was I thinking?

Need to clean today. My daughter from Atlanta is coming up tonight and we're having our Thanksgiving feast Sunday. Then she and I will have some time together for a few days next week. Fun!

Hope you all have a great day!

Cathy F
November 21st, 2014, 11:01 AM
Morning all,
Sun is shining and not quite as cold as it has been, so guess I have to hit the grocery store today. Not my favorite thing to do but we like to eat!

Last night was the last session of the Holiday cookie class I took. It definetly went better the second night. All the mixers were up and running. Will put some cookies away for Thanksgiving in case the grandkids drop by if I can keep hubby out of them. We did 6 different cookies, rugelah, rainbow, linzer tarts, gingerbread, cranberry white chocolate biscotti, and a pignoli amoretti cookie.

Haven't been in the sewing room in the past few days, my bad! Have to get going on a few more Christmas gifts in order to make my "done by" deadline. I would like to enjoy December and not play "beat the clock".
Blondie- you are the best daughter a mother could have!
Amy- your chuckle of the day brought a smile to my face. My husband thinks I'm a tribe of 1!
Carolyn- well wishes for your mom.

off to start my day with another cup of coffee-

Simply Quilting
November 21st, 2014, 11:25 AM
Good Morning! Everyone seems in the house has decided to get up early and get moving this morning. I have errands to run a little while later. The week has gone by quickly. On Wednesday we had headed to the city for the day. I did get some Christmas shopping done. The American Girl of the Year happens to have the same name as our daughter so I picked one up for dd for her Christmas. Since the doll is only around til Dec 31 and there is a limited number so I wanted to make sure I got one picked up for dd. While we were in the city, we stopped in to the new IKEA store for a short bit. Someday when I have more time I'd like to go back and look around more. We needed to get back to town as our church had our annual Thanksgiving Dinner. We served over 200 people and the ladies had made everything for scratch - it so yummy.

DH is getting ready to celebrated 15 years with the company that he works for. As a thank you, the company gave him a nice gift card that can be used at a variety of stores. And he just gained another week's vacation :) It is hard to believe that he has been there 15 years. Time goes by so quickly.

Yesterday evening I got back to the sewing machine. I worked on two table runners that I will hopefully get quilted later today. Then if there is time, I want to start cutting fabric for the two quilts for Christmas gifts.

We, personally, never had a woodstove growing up. My grandparents did have a wood burning fireplace that I remember making fires in one many cold days and nights. I remember in the evening going to get the biggest piece of wood we could find in the woodpile to put in the fireplace so that it would burn all night long (during the day, we used smaller pieces of wood because we would be awake to restock the fire when it got low). That was not the only source of heat but I sure loved the warmth from the fire. Wonderful memories.

Have a great Friday everyone :)

JCY
November 21st, 2014, 11:40 AM
Good Morning, All ~ Wood stoves & building fires reminded me of my dad as well. However, in some of the parsonages we lived in, there was a big furnace, usually coal burning. I would hear my dad up early, shaking down the ashes & clinkers, & building up the fire. The sound would come up through the heat registers. Before long, the heat would radiate up. One place, we had a coal stoker & had to keep the hopper filled. The clinkers were spread out on the driveway. My dad's been gone almost 30 yrs.

Yest. I sandwiched & basted the Topiary Tiles pattern baby quilt. It's ready for quilting. I just need to practice a new FMQ design on my white board & a sample block, then I'll be good to go. I hope to do the FMQ this afternoon.

The sun is shining. It's supposed to be ~50 deg. Much of last week's snow has melted. I feel bad for the folks in Buffalo. I just can't imagine all that snow all at once!

Have a good week-end, everyone. JCY

ravelim
November 21st, 2014, 11:43 AM
Hi.

Got DS Quilt figured out - what I did wrong. Resewed it and to sew back together. Almost finished oldest GDs top for her Christmas quilt. I'll try to post a pic not sure how well that will go. It's not a problem with the website,it's a problem with my mind. It's like Jenny says mankind presses to the dark side.lol

I feel for all of you with parent issues. Christmas seems to make us remember 'll those great memories. They are so precious. You get to SMILE.

Hugs to all and prayers for all of you, my friends.

MayinJerset
November 21st, 2014, 11:46 AM
Late this morning, needed to get an email concerning quilting threads off to my sister so she could read it at work.

Yes it's Friday and next week is Thanksgiving so can Christmas be far behind? Gathering my thoughts and ideas for Christmas gifts and after all the big Black Friday hullabaloo I'll make a trip through a few stores and pick up some good gifts. Grandkids ages 14 - 32 like gift cards so I always add a personal gift or two - one DGD and family in CA so I want to get their gifts early and mailed before the big mail rush. Another DGD lives in New Orleans but she and her DH will be in Jersey during Christmas week for her sister's wedding so we'll exchange gifts during that time.

Had a bit of a scare this morning. Mention earlier this week someone ransacked our car and van, GPS taken, reported it to police. Last night DH was at a meeting and I dozed off reading, got phone call from someone named Kevin talking about a report but I was groggy and didn't understand what he meant. Was asleep when DH returned home and it seems police woman stopped by with a copy of report about cars' break in, she told DH they caught the guy and he was in jail with $100,000 bail which he could never make. This morning I saw the report and the person arrested was named Kevin C...... so I got worried if he was the Kevin who called last nigh and how did her know our phone number. Quick call to police and it was cleared up as the Kevin who called was a police officer and Kevin the suspected thief is still in jail. We are going away this weekend can now can go without worrying.

Youngest DGD in MA turns 18 next week but she'll be with her Mom for Thanksgiving so we're going to celebrate this weekend at her Dad's Dads (DS#3) who she lives with. Her gift is the memory ring I had made for her. A few years ago I had rings made up for each of our 6 DGDs, small white gold rings with diamond chips from my MIL's wedding band, pearls from my old wedding rings and each girls birthstone. Rings much like what young people use as Promise rings. Should have looked for a ring dish for her but too late as we're leaving for MA in the morning. Maybe we'll get to do some shopping while up there. She's taking a fashion (sewing) course at high school so maybe we'll need to take a run to Joann's, always have my J's coupons in my purse.

Off to get clothes ready for our trip, first need to check weekend weather in MA - they live between Boston and the beginning of Cape Cod so it might be a bit colder up there than here. More coffee needed first before doing anything constructive.

Blondie and JCY, Fond memories of your Dads and building the heating fires. I used to help my grandfather heat his 3 family row house, top floor never got the heat they wanted but first and second floors were too hot. I often shoveled some coal on the fire in the big furnace to keep it going and it the summertime was pretty much in charge of keeping the pot belly stove going for hot water. Plenty of fond memories stirred up by this cold weather.

MayinJerset
November 21st, 2014, 12:06 PM
Cathy F - Assortment of cookies sound wonderful. I need to make some Rainbows for Thanksgiving and Small group Pot Luck but would love to have the recipe for the pignoli amoretti cookie, a childhood favorite from the local pastry shop.

Amy R
November 21st, 2014, 12:18 PM
Oh, the cookies. YUMMMO. Maybe I'll have time to make some this year.

Angelia
November 21st, 2014, 12:36 PM
Need more coffee--I looked at my email and wondered why Jenny has posted a "new shocking tutorial"!

Hope to baste a quilt today--cleaned house yesterday, and with this runnyrunny nose and sneezing, that was all I had the energy for.

Wishing a good day to all.

Grandma Nan
November 21st, 2014, 12:38 PM
Good morning everyone. I haven't been on the forum too much lately as my time has been very short. I have had a tear in my eye as everyone is describing some of their memories with their dads. It is so precious to have those memories to keep close to us and we can call on them any time we need a hug or strength to carry on with our duties.

I have been with my mom a lot since her stroke a couple of weeks ago-trying to help my 83 yo dad who insists on looking after her at home. She was in hospital for a week but is home now. She is a little less confused than she was but has definite dementia. Dad does a pretty good job looking after her and the house. As much as we would like him to consider long term care, I am beginning to realize that looking after her has put a new spark in his life. He now has a definite reason to get up every morning. He was still working, driving a transport, in his early 70's when he had a serious heart attack and subsequent heart surgery. He had to give up his job and sell his truck and they took away his truck driving licence. Dad went through the surgery well but developed a major depression after all was said and done. No wonder, so many life changing events had occurred and not of his own choosing. He is now back to being his old self again and I know it is because he feels like he has a purpose again. Of course I try to help as much as possible but they are pretty independent.

Love your parents and talk to them often- they wont be here forever.

I always get excited when the American Thanksgiving preps start- you all really know how to do it and stretch the holiday into a month of fun and celebration. I live close to the American border so I can kind of live vicariously through you and get that holiday feeling for a whole month. Happy holidays to all and travel carefully and safely if you are visiting family and friends. I see today on our news that Black Friday sales are starting today so I guess you are stretching it into another week. Yippee. I love the holiday season.

Carrie J
November 21st, 2014, 12:39 PM
Morning All! Got up late today, guess the week has caught up with me..............yawn! Coffee making, and waiting for DH to holler out "COFFEE!"

Smiles, hugs and prayers for here this morning that need them. Thanks Sandy for the links! DH has been inquiring about booties, shaking head here. I'll bet he sneaked around Google, LOL!

Once caffeinated, am off to run things over for BFF, then will surprise her with a catfish dinner tonight. LOL, hospital food after two days is like, well.....................you know! Has warmed up a lot here, and rain today, heavy rain and severe storms tomorrow ALL DAY! If there's a light show presented by Mother Nature, I don't sew, hate for anything to happen to my machine, even though there's a super protector it's hooked into. Otherwise, making sure I have all the things I need for a small Thanksgiving dinner for the two of us. Sewing and general putzing around..................hmmmm, perhaps I should take the "tornado" effect off my portion of the office.................uh, never mind, got a project going..........later, LOL!

Hugs and Blessings to all, and especially those that need them! :D

MRoy
November 21st, 2014, 12:49 PM
Good morning! I grew up with coal then later oil stoves. In the winter at bedtime, I'd heat my quilt by the stove then run and jump in bed before it had time to cool. When DH and I married, we had wood heat for many years. First a sheet-iron stove that would get so hot sometimes that it glowed red, then we got a used "automatic" wood stove with a brick-lined fire box and a fan. We were "uptown" then. LOL! DH cut the wood and it was my job to keep the fire stoked and the big woodbox by the back door filled. We have a wood stove in the basement now, but it's not used for much except burning paper since we got the propane fireplace. I love my little fireplace!

This morning I sent yardage estimates and my charges to the fellow who wants me to make him a quilt. I really hope he decides the cost will be too much. I enjoy my hobby and I want to keep it that way...just a hobby!

rebeccas-sewing
November 21st, 2014, 12:58 PM
When I was a kid and we were living in Richmond with my grandmother, mom used to go down to the basement and shovel coal into the furnace. I can only imagine how much she must've hated doing that. There's a woodburning stove in the living room of the house in Baarn but we haven't used it. Since it's not our house I think Joe hesitates to start it up. I haven't been there when it's been the coldest and darkest. Since I go back end of January I'll get a taste of serious winter in the Netherlands. Not much light, lots of rain, and probably quite chilly.

So far, when I go home and sleep in Mom's bed I'm okay with it. No dreams about her. Actually, it feels kind of nice to snooze in her bed knowing that it was her place of rest for so many years. Dad slept in that bed for many, many years as well.

Sandy Navas
November 21st, 2014, 02:25 PM
Morning all,
Sun is shining and not quite as cold as it has been, so guess I have to hit the grocery store today. Not my favorite thing to do but we like to eat!

Last night was the last session of the Holiday cookie class I took. It definetly went better the second night. All the mixers were up and running. Will put some cookies away for Thanksgiving in case the grandkids drop by if I can keep hubby out of them. We did 6 different cookies, rugelah, rainbow, linzer tarts, gingerbread, cranberry white chocolate biscotti, and a pignoli amoretti cookie.

Haven't been in the sewing room in the past few days, my bad! Have to get going on a few more Christmas gifts in order to make my "done by" deadline. I would like to enjoy December and not play "beat the clock".
Blondie- you are the best daughter a mother could have!
Amy- your chuckle of the day brought a smile to my face. My husband thinks I'm a tribe of 1!
Carolyn- well wishes for your mom.

off to start my day with another cup of coffee-

Come on now - when you show up for the morning thread and talk about cookies you have to offer each of us a couple for our coffee.

toggpine
November 21st, 2014, 02:44 PM
The new computer is acting slow and bit twitchy this morning. It has one of those touch screen deals and it's jumping instead of scrolling smoothly. Grrrr. At least we are still within the 90 day return period.

I have to make a run to town to pick up the key for the library for a meeting on Sunday. I'm also going to return the bucket of beads I bought last night. I can get them for less on Amazon or @ J's with a coupon. I'm not sure what I was thinking, other than that place had had them at a better price the last time I was in there. Oh well.

Then home and back to the sewing room!

I hope you all have a great day! Hugs, Cathy

auntiemern
November 21st, 2014, 04:03 PM
Never had anything but a regular furnace growing up. Oil, then gas. My first DH and I had a fireplace that we used regularly in the fal and winter. I am having a hard time with the upcoming holidays. Thanksgiving is next week, and I would just as soon for go it, but DD wants me to do it so I will. She has to work til 4 so it will be an early evening dinner for us. I have not done a lick of Christmas shopping. Can't get in the mood...it has gotten progressively worse since mom's passing, and the great divide in the family. I do know I am getting 3 GK's new TV's for their new rooms at there new house. It is gonna be a rush and a push to get in and finished before Christmas. She was supposed to close on the first, but it has been pushed to the middle of Dec. THAT will have me totally stressing. Ok enough of my whining, I have things to do. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need. (some of our sisters REALLY need them)

Navy Wife
November 21st, 2014, 05:58 PM
Running late tuning in today. DH is sick with a miserable cough. He went to the Dr. Wednesday and got a box full of meds. Stayed at home and felt better. Yesterday I couldn't tie him down and he was off in the cold all day. Last night he was up all night with the cough and wheezing in between. Old men are a PIA! He is home today and feeling better again. By the way, the work he has been going to is a volunteer job with a local charity. He doesn't have to be there every day. He has an assistant who can handle it with a little help by phone.

I got my mammogram today. Have all of you had yours this year? Then the usual round of shopping, mostly groceries. What a boring life I have!

Angelia
November 21st, 2014, 08:35 PM
In my book, boring is good--I prefer to avoid adventures and excitement (just a hobbit at heart, I guess). :icon_neutral:

Annette Ackley
November 21st, 2014, 08:38 PM
Love your post Blondie!!! I was just thinking the other morning, while bringing in wood for the wood stove, I have been carrying wood or stacking it since I was 8 years old. I remember my DB dropping a log on my thumb. I lost my thumb nail, it was around Halloween. Nothing like the smell of a wood fire in crisp cold air!!! It has been a long week. The hunters are coming up to our county for the first day of bear season tomorrow. At least I have the whole weekend off. Hope my DD comes to see me tomorrow, haven't seen her in months. She doesn't sew but she is learning to crochet. It is a start!!! Have a great weekend everyone!!! :-)