PDA

View Full Version : Thursday! That means it is almost the weekend!!

Blondie
November 20th, 2014, 07:59 AM

It's Thursday, Folksies! I may feel like the pitiful pup in the picture above but . . . it's Thursday and that means I have to walk across the street this a.m. and get to work. Not long ago I counted how many steps it is from my front door to the salon door across the road. 167 steps. That's right. I know, I know. I am the envy of all those who must get out and about. This morning it will most likely be 167 quick steps or fast trot since it is brry cold.

Yesterday I finished up the twisted string quilt that I was making for a friend from her Daddy's shirts. It took me forever it seems but actually, I was using that as a alternate stitching project while I was working on some COC's. Generally, once I start the hand quilting, I perservere until it is completed. This one was a bit harder on the eyes for me since most of the shirts were darker plaids. I had a difficult time seeing my marking for the stitching. But it's done, washed, dried, soft and cuddly. I know she will be thrilled. I also made her a second small quilt that was finished a few weeks ago. Much easier for me to finish.

Now that I have those two finished, I need to sew binding on two quilts and finish those up for Christmas gifts.

Last night we finished up the yummy potato soup, so today I will be challenged to cook something. I really dislike having to cook these days. I would much rather be doing anything else. Sigh. Looking through my Mrs Hubbards Cupboard is always a challenge on pulling together a healthy meal that is also tasty. If it were just me, I would happily exist on pbj's and cereal. why do my men like to eat a hot meal?

Off to read here and then dream of future projects that dance in my head like those proverbial sugar plums.

Enjoy your day - those hit hard by all that snow - be safe. Prayers, hugs and SMILES to everyone.

EnumclawGramma
November 20th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Good Morning Blondie (and all!) Up early again today, not sure why, except I think I'm just sleeping better. This makes me SO happy! Even if it's temporary, I'll take it and smile about it!

It's RAINING!! Temps are creeping up and the frost is gone for now. We need this because the air quality has been not so good. I would just like no more wind storms for a bit, at least until I can get all the limbs cleaned up in my yard.

Next week is Thanksgiving! Where did the Summer go? Small group this year, my son and wife and 5 kiddos go to her family, but we'll have them all for Christmas. Makes for a special holiday!

Speaking of the kiddos....I had a wonderful time with them yesterday afternoon. We visit for hours, play cards and eat snacks. I'm going back tomorrow morning for the entire day and we'll be baking cookies! Can't wait!

Off to get another cuppa and wake up a little more. Have a wonderful day, Hugs and Prayers if ya want/need em'!

Carrie J
November 20th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Morning Blondie, up early ( went to bed at 11pm) so up and at 'em! Waiting for coffee as I type. The days are warming up, will be in the upper 60's, but have rain coming in as well. Our deep dip in temps the past week or so doesn't happen very often in Texas, but it was darned cold to me! Got some early errands to run, houskeeper will be here today and hopefully that darned electrician as well. Was supposed to be here yesterday to install two new outlets in my portion of the room! On the hunt for a table to be modified for the machine and another for a cutting table. Ahhhhh, love the stalk for a piece to "reinvent" If I can't find it today, come Saturday we'l find the elusive beast with the help of two friends. Otherwise, will be sewing away happily til someone shows up! Hugs and Blessing to all, and especially those that need them! :D

Bubby
November 20th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Morning,

I woke up covered in a rash from head to toe (literally) and itching like crazy. I've never had anything like this. I took Benadryl and it didn't help. I likely need a shot of something. I will see the doctor at 9:45.

Otherwise everything is okay here. Our snow is pretty much gone except on the north side of our property. Jeff is getting ready for work and I need to make his lunch and take the Girls outside.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

CarolynK
November 20th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Good morning Blondie and all!

I'm glad it's Thursday and almost the weekend. I'm not sure what this weekend will bring and hoping to bond again with my sewing machine. We'll see.

Update on my Mom. We did get her into the geriatric rehab unit at the hospital last Saturday and she seemed to be doing better, however she has scored fairly low on memory and socialization issues and they have determined that she has dementia/Alzheimers disease. She still knows people and most long term memories but is declining in her short term memory. We are attending a family meeting today as they are planning on dismissing her to her home. They want her to have someone check on her every day so we will have some work to do to get meals on wheels and maybe some other type of home care. She is physically healthy so Medicare won't cover much in the way of home care. We'll see how everything goes today.

Our snow is almost gone and it got up to 46 here yesterday and it was nice! We finally got the new wood stove going last night and it just warm my heart and provides a calming effect for me. I just love a nice fire.

Blondie, what a great quilt for a friend. I'm sure that she will cherish it with her fathers shirts and the love and work you put into it.

Bless you all and hugs. Have a great day!

Carolyn

buckeyequilter
November 20th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Morning Blondie, up early ( went to bed at 11pm) so up and at 'em! Waiting for coffee as I type. The days are warming up, will be in the upper 60's, but have rain coming in as well. Our deep dip in temps the past week or so doesn't happen very often in Texas, but it was darned cold to me! Got some early errands to run, houskeeper will be here today and hopefully that darned electrician as well. Was supposed to be here yesterday to install two new outlets in my portion of the room! On the hunt for a table to be modified for the machine and another for a cutting table. Ahhhhh, love the stalk for a piece to "reinvent" If I can't find it today, come Saturday we'l find the elusive beast with the help of two friends. Otherwise, will be sewing away happily til someone shows up! Hugs and Blessing to all, and especially those that need them! :D

Here is the table I ended up with for a cutting table....love it! I put it on bed risers and it's perfect. I think I'm going to get a second one for a sewing table.

OFM Utility Table, 30" x 60" - Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/OFM-Utility-Table-30-x-60/19764547)

Carrie J
November 20th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Here is the table I ended up with for a cutting table....love it! I put it on bed risers and it's perfect. I think I'm going to get a second one for a sewing table.

OFM Utility Table, 30" x 60" - Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/OFM-Utility-Table-30-x-60/19764547)

Shirley, that looks like just the ticket for a cutting table would keep me off the floor when sandwiching as well, and bed risers.......................slapping forehead here!!! Hadn't even thought of those! DER!

Monique
November 20th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Good morning. I was up earlier, 3 something but ended up going back to bed for about an hour and a half. Hubby is having a personal relationship with the porcelain bowl this morning. Don't ask, self inflicted.

I ended up working all day yesterday so not much happened otherwise.

I am hoping to get something done today. I do have to help at the church tonight, it is their annual Church Supper, which means I will get to eat and also bring home left overs. Yum, yum.

Have a great day everyone.

ionblastoidsmom
November 20th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Good Morning Blondie and all you creative people out there. Lisa here in chilly willy NY (32 out but no snow) Wishing my Buffalo friends a speedy thaw with minimum flooding. Going to attend a refresher course for machine embroidery in an owners class at my local Viking dealership. I would like to incorporate embroidery with my quilting somehow. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Iris Girl
November 20th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Morning all. Chilly bhere again , not as chilly as yesterday though its a steamy 24. Work today. Yesterday I sandwiched and started to quilt my roses quilt. Was doing roses and rosebud quilting in the squares. But you can't see it. Ripped it all out this morning and woill just stipple it. Next weeks schedule is up and it will be a doozy for me. Usually work only 4 to 5 hours a day but black friday I have an 8 hour shift. That will be hard on my feet and these heel spurs. Good news is weds and thurs off. But weds is pie making day and thurs well cook eat recover so I am ready for friday.
Healing thoughts and wishes to those in need Hugs to all stay warm.

Madeforyouinma11
November 20th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Good morning everyone. It is a chilly 25 here right now. I'm so glad I don't have to leave the house today. I just need to go take something out of the freezer for dinner and then it's off to the sewing room for the day. Hoping to get alot done on the woodlands quilt I'm working on. I need to sew around all of the applique work....and there is alot of it to do. My goal is to have it finished before Thanksgiving so I can mail it right after.
Well, sounds like everyone has big plans so hoping you all enjoy your day.

Mpyles
November 20th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Good morning, still a little chilly here this morning.

Carolyn, so sorry to hear of your mothers diagnoses. I will pray that everything comes together for yours family and her care.

Blondie, I wish you lived down the road from me, I woukd love a chat over coffee on a chilly morning! You are such a sweetheart!

Barb, on no!! Must be allergic to something huh? Change laundry soaps lately? Eat anything unusual? Prayers for quick healing. Years ago we took a trip out to Las Vegas...we did tons of sight seeing in the desert. For some reason on the last day there I broke out in hives from head to toe....it was the most miserable flight home I have ever had. The next day went to the dr and he gave me a strong antihistamine....so strong I lost over a day to sleep...but it worked. Never knew what caused it. Feel better!

We are leaving for northeast missouri tonight after my son is done volunteering at the boys and girls club for school. It will be around 8 which will put us in Kirksville between 12-1 am. There is a threat of icy roads Friday morning and DH doesnt want to risk something going wrong. It's been a rough week on him, as his relationship with his siblings is not a good one. I wish there was something I could do for him. His temper is short...understandably. Just trying to get through it all.

Works still a bear...and it will be a grizzly bear next week!

Everyone have a great day!!

MRoy
November 20th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Good morning! The only think on the agenda here today is vacuuming the floors. Otherwise, it's anything goes...or nothing depending on the mood. I enjoyed our guild potluck yesterday. There were 9 there (which is 90% of us) but we had plenty of good food and fellowship. With so few members, we have the chance to become more than just acquaintances.

Barb, I hope you get your rash cleared up quickly. Wishing everyone a terrific Thursday!

Amy R
November 20th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Morning! Thursdays are awesome, the peak of the week, which slides to "relaxation" of the weekend. Well, hubby being home to help me corral the zoo here. Getting very weary with cabin fever. Anywho, hand quilting until my fingers can't do anymore per day. I enjoy it but I think I need longer needles. I'll have to get out to the store tonight.
Starting a plus sign quilt it was a little tricky to place for me anyway I guess I may be angly challenged?
I am so looking forward to NC trip next week. My mom/dad joined my sis/bil there last year and my brother is able to come up from FL so we'll all be together for a few days. We're going to take a different route this time to try to avoid the tolls and 35mph roads. I am a little anxious riding with little one for such a long trip. She has a hair trigger on her tummy I'm hoping there's no car sickness.
Prayers to all, and hugs too. I'm sorry to hear the rash and alzheimer's news.

Granny Fran
November 20th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Morning! Thursdays are awesome, the peak of the week, which slides to "relaxation" of the weekend. Well, hubby being home to help me corral the zoo here. Getting very weary with cabin fever. Anywho, hand quilting until my fingers can't do anymore per day. I enjoy it but I think I need longer needles. I'll have to get out to the store tonight.
Starting a plus sign quilt it was a little tricky to place for me anyway I guess I may be angly challenged?
I am so looking forward to NC trip next week. My mom/dad joined my sis/bil there last year and my brother is able to come up from FL so we'll all be together for a few days. We're going to take a different route this time to try to avoid the tolls and 35mph roads. I am a little anxious riding with little one for such a long trip. She has a hair trigger on her tummy I'm hoping there's no car sickness.
Prayers to all, and hugs too. I'm sorry to hear the rash and alzheimer's news.

Amy, hope you have a good trip. Maybe pediatrician or druggist can get some dramamine for little one. When I traveled with mine when they were little, we used coke syrup and it worked pretty well. Have 2 sons in NC near Fayetteville and I know about the tolls, but 75 to 40 is a longer trip for us.

Sandy Navas
November 20th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Hoping I have enough sleep under my belt that I can make it through the day without a nap . . . but I am thinking I crawled out of bed too early. Every other Wednesday night we go to the school house where I attended grade school (now the community center) to listen to a great little country band. Usually Li'l Sis and her husband are there but weren't last night. My brother and SIL did come up from KC though. The band got louder and louder and I finally convinced Al that I couldn't take the noise any more. They are good, but when my eardrums are doing their own little Cotton-Eye Joe shuffle it's time to quit.

Got home in time to get in early on the Martelli sale and ordered my cutting mat. Can hardly wait for delivery!!

It's a bright and sunny 10 degrees here this morning and wouldn't you know, I have to go out today. Wishing for at least a warm heart.

Extending that warm heart to everyone here in need. Healing requested!!

Mom23
November 20th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Good Morning All,

I can't wait for 1:00 today. Hubby and son will be leaving for the cabin and won't be back until Sunday. I have the house all to myself and can spend as much time as I want sewing. I have no plans but might have to leave the house to make a run to St. Louis for fabric. I started a quilt using Robert Kaufman Brown Kona Cotton. Didn't have enough so my LQS ordered another bolt of the exact same fabric. Got it Tuesday and it doesn't match. The new bolt is a little lighter. I will have to go in search of an old bolt that will hopefully match. It feels good to say that is the only plan for the next 4 days!!!

I've been doing some research on Black Friday deals. There is no way I will leave the house to shop but I will be online at midnight Thursday. My mom and sisters will be here for dinner and they are all bringing laptops and iPads. We will all surf the ads and start placing orders as soon as possible. That's our idea of getting together to Black Friday shop!!!

I need to get by butt busy cleaning the house as I have 20 coming for dinner Thursday and, as of now, 62 coming Saturday night. I won't clean too much before but will have to do a major cleaning after. Carpets will be cleaned December 2, then I will decorate for the holidays.

Have a great day and, as always, prayers going out for all those in need.

ravelim
November 20th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I thought sure we would be colder than Sandy but we're out at 15.

I am taking a crafty course (love it) and it helped me figure out what I am doing wrong with sandwiching. I'm so excited. I'm learning with every project. I love that.

We have snow but nothing like Buffalo. .
Prayers to all you Buffalo-ites. And special blessings to Carolyn and Barb

MayinJerset
November 20th, 2014, 11:26 AM

I have my cutting/ironing table up on high risers and it is a great height and keeps my back from hurting. Table you chose is great as it is in one piece. I have one of those inexpensive folding tables, have my big mat sort of in the middle but am finding that my cuts aren't as straight as they should be. I think the table gives a bit when I apply enough pressure on the rotary to cut and that's what is causing the cut not to be really straight. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Thinking maybe of changing the table to the desk DH picked up from a neighbors trash a few months ago. It's big and nice looking but it may not be deep enough for my new large mat.

Carolyn hope you can get some home health aides to help with your mom.

Robin, Was that 62 for Sat. night? Sounds like my cousin Toni's day after Thanksgiving's Turkey Soup and Sandwich get together.

Over40momma
November 20th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Carolyn, I am so sorry to hear about your mother's situation. Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Barb, definitely need to see to that kind of rash.....and no scratching!!! (easier said than done, I know :( )
Blondie, that little fella lying in his bowl just gave me both a chuckle and 'awwww' moment. Thanks sweetie.

Still quite chilly here and ice in many spots. The winds are still present but not as bad as earlier....thank heavens! Hubby says his trailer was whipping all about on the highway between Toronto and Windsor. He counted over 19 wrecks on his way there and back. He had to tell me this morning because I fell asleep in the chair last night just after 7 and didn't wake until this morning just after 6! Never sleep that long unless I am sick with the cold or flu (which I am not). Must have looked like that puppy in Blondie's picture. :lol:

In a baking mood today, so will make some yeast breads, then some banana bread as I have some really ripe ones trying to die on my counter and then will head to my sewing room to see what I can accomplish today. Got a block I want to try out called a "Pointsettia Star" that I saw in a catalogue and I think I have figure out how to make it. Want to graph out a possible foundation piece for it and see what happens. Have a great day everyone.

pcbatiks
November 20th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Good morning everyone.

Just checking in..........I have the itchy drips, achy, cold. The achy is better but the itchy drips is getting on my nerves. Time for a Benadryl...... I want to work on my wall hanging today but will probably wait........Benadryl and rotary cutter would not be a good combo. :)

Prayers and hugs going out to Barb, Carolyn, Fannie and Dee (Musical_Starling). Dee was leaving today for her long awaited appointment. She would appreciate our prayers.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-chit-chat/45850-our-friend-musical_starling-would-appreciate-our-prayers.html

Angelia
November 20th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I'm fighting the snot monster, too! It laughs at the idea of a tissue--bring on the towels. :)

Planning to layer and baste a quilt and do some house cleaning today, I hope.

irishrn
November 20th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Good morning all!! I've been up since 410 am for no good reason but I did go to bed at 9 last night because I was just done!!
My DH has been obsessing over the cold outside and the heat level inside insisting we have to put up the heat!!
With my dry eye disease anything over 70 degrees is a killer but he just doesn't remember that I need it cooler!
I went up to sewing room early today and when I came down I found 2 burners turned up on the stove. I asked him what he was doing and he said, the kitchen is too cool for you so I made it warmer! NO!!!!!!! I don't want it warmer!
Oh, he says he forgot! This is such a new behavior for him, all since his hospital visit on Oct 28 for the cardiac cath!
We see the doc Dec 3 rd but I'm really concerned about his memory!!!
So I haven't ventured far from home without him cause he has me a bit concerned, but when we are out together, he complains of chest pain and wants to go home!!! I carry his nitro with me but he still wants to be home!!
So home I stay! Keeping an eye on him!! And sewing when he's sleeping!

MayinJerset
November 20th, 2014, 01:36 PM
"I'm fighting the snot monster, too! It laughs at the idea of a tissue--bring on the towels. "

Angela I had that last week. This week feeling better but now everything feel swollen and dried up, guess those cold pulls did too much of a good job. Feel better soon.

toggpine
November 20th, 2014, 02:29 PM
62 ?!?!?! Dang Robin! I've only had that many when I could keep them all outside and I don't think they were here all at once. I'd say you are smart to have the carpets cleaned AFTER the get-together!
Barb - I hope the hives/rash get cleared up quickly!
Eileen - That sounds pretty scary with your DH. Turning up stove burners sounds dangerous. I'm glad you have an appointment made for him.

I didn't get hardly a thing done yesterday. The weather shifted and the pressure fronts moved through and the headache settled in. I finally caved in at the point it made me nauseated and took some medicine. I can't take it too much of it, or very often, as the side effects for me are unpleasant. By the time hubby came home @ 7 my head was doing better.
I'm also fighting the snot monster and the sore throat. That, I'm blaming on the DHIA training. Every time I'm scheduled to help put it on, I get this and can hardly speak for my section. It could also be that we have been using the woodstove for a few weeks now, by this time of year and the smoke/ash irritate my sinuses. Or, I'm pulling hay off the stack from the top that has been covered in a layer of dust and that puffs up in my face every time I feed. Naw. I'm blaming the training!

Since my head no longer feels like it will explode, I WILL get to the last bit of the snow people today. I will!

May you all have a better day!
Hugs, Cathy

Jean Sewing Machine
November 20th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Morning everyone, now that it is almost noon! I had my grand kids over last night. Mom works nights and her roommate had to work til midnight, so the kids stay with me when these two things coincide. Then when they left, I went grocery shopping and got the rest of my Thanksgiving groceries. Now I need to start cleaning. My DD from Atlanta is driving up tomorrow and we're going to do our Thanksgiving meal Sunday while she is here. Not a big crowd, but of course, we will all be ready for a feast!

Went costume shopping with Madam a Director yesterday, and we found some things for the show in January that will work great. They were cheap, also! Great luck finding a man's light colored linen suit on sale in November, hey, they were trying to offload that stuff, so we got a new suit for $50. Happy dance!

Have a good day!

auntiemern
November 20th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I pray it isn't a lupus rash. Those are the devil to get rid of, and not keep returning. It has been almost 2 yrs since mine started. I still get small ones occasionally, if I forget to take my meds. Prayers that it gets dealt with swiftly.
Morning,

I woke up covered in a rash from head to toe (literally) and itching like crazy. I've never had anything like this. I took Benadryl and it didn't help. I likely need a shot of something. I will see the doctor at 9:45.

Otherwise everything is okay here. Our snow is pretty much gone except on the north side of our property. Jeff is getting ready for work and I need to make his lunch and take the Girls outside.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

Angelia
November 21st, 2014, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the good wishes, MayinJerset. My nose is still running like a big dog, but it could be worse. :)